CHAPTER 1. Outlandish Afterlife
212 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Death, honestly, was not a bad experience, at least when compared to dying. Strangely, it was the afterlife that proved to be the most outlandish experience I had ever encountered."

                                                                                                                            

 

 Within a room, eight people had gathered. On the clean and neat bed lay the body of a recently deceased person, embraced by a grieving, burly man. I know that man well, as he is my son. I am also familiar with the people gathered here, as they are my loved ones. And as for the deceased person being mourned, I happen to know him too—because he is me.

 

  “I guess this is an out of body situation which proves that I have a soul, therefore there is an afterlife of sorts.” I mutter to myself as I walk around the room observing everyone inside. Curiously, I extend my hand to touch my eldest daughter’s shoulder, only for my hand to phase through her. I try to draw everyone’s attention, by speaking or touching but it seems they cannot perceive in any meaningful way. Instead of wasting any more effort, I simply stand amongst my loved ones.

 

"Did he just say, 'Hah, gay?'" asked my daughter. I winced at her question; in hindsight, I really shouldn't have said that. Knowing them, they would most definitely tell everyone about my last words. I should have said something more poignant, but it's hard to think of fancy words when having a seizure –  at least I think it was a seizure. Snickers and stifled laughs echo within the room. At least I gave them a final laugh.

 

  “It’s, from a meme.” said one of my younger cousins.  “From, a popular T. V show,” She continued. So, someone got the reference, I thought to myself. I always have fondness for entertainment. From books, comics, graphic novels, Mangas, shows, and movies. Its one of the few things that help me take a break from my worries for a little while. Sometimes you got to relax and take a break from all the bullshit in life. Through either hobbies or vacations. I guess this is it for me.

 

  I look around contently, knowing that this may be the last time I will ever see them again. As I look at every single one of them, memories of our time together -both good and bad- flow through my thoughts. My two sons, three daughters, brothers, sisters, close cousins and finally my wife are inside this room. My stubborn sons, pampered daughters, annoying brothers and sisters, lazy cousins and spitfire of a wife. They may not hear my words, but I still speak to them: “You guys were the best and the worst people in my life, but I wouldn’t have it any either way, I love you guys, goodbye and take care, I’ll see you all on the other side.

 

     As I finish speaking, I hear a sound that bizarrely calls to me.  I can only describe the sound as that of a trumpet; however, it sets itself apart from a regular trumpet, for this sound has a divine feel to it. I walk away from everyone and exit the room. I walk down the halls of my house, the well-maintained wooden walls, adorned with old decorations from the past. Pictures hanging on the walls, faces of people, friends and loved ones. I feel nostalgic as I continue to walk. I do not know what will happen to me If I answer the call, but I answered anyway.  When it’s your time go, you got go.  Now is not the time to be a pussy.

 

  As I exit the old house, I hear the call. Looking up, I see a massive vortex of swirling clouds and lights. Each light streaks from below, flying upwards toward the vortex. Taking a closer look at each light, I notice that the streak is a blend of different colors. Suddenly, a booming sound echo towards me. The call is louder than the previous one, and I feel a force lifting me from the ground. Understanding what will happen, I turn to look at my house – its yellow painted walls, white tiled roofs, and well-kept garden.

  

   I take a good long look as I reminisce about all my memories, only for me to realize, that I still can’t remember their names. My train of thought is dashed, when I suddenly find myself flying up the sky by some invisible force.  I panicked for a few seconds, as I look down to see the ground become further and further away. I calmed down when I realized that I won’t die if I somehow fell because I was already dead. I still myself and accept my situation as I listen to the call. Looking around, I notice that there are other lights approaching near me.

 

   As I look closely at the streaking lights, I realize that they are people. I see people of different ethnicities and emotional states. Most are screaming and crying; some look defeated and resigned, while others show a look of relief and acceptance of their fate. Personally, I look forward to this. Since all this is happening, it proves the existence of God. I may not know which religion is the correct one, but I'm about to find out. As I am thinking about what kind of questions to ask God, I feel the call swerving me away from the others. I enter the vortex and revel in the sight I see before me.

I gaze in absolute awe and wonder as I behold the scene before me. Stars, as far as the eye can see, stretch beyond the horizon, forming into a swirling mass. Galaxies – I am seeing galaxies forming before my very eyes, in this very moment. These galaxies twist and orbit around each other. One galaxy multiplies into billions of different galaxies, and from these billions, they turn into trillions. I realize I am looking at a whole different universe. As I gawk at the scene before me, I feel the call changing my direction, guiding my trajectory as the call gently leads me towards a gigantic feminine figure made of stars and galaxies. The figure gently cradles me in her right hand, and I stare star struck at her. I look up at her head and gaze into her – no, its eyes. Black holes – her eyes are made of black holes. I struggle to make sense of the situation. She extends her left hand and gently cradles another soul beside me."

 

I look at her left hand and see another wayward soul. I try to make out the details of this person, but for some reason, I can't discern any specific features. Strangely, I feel that this other soul is a woman. How I know this is something I can't explain – I just simply know. The figure looks down at the two souls in its palm and smiles at them.

 

Suddenly, another being joins her. A being as gigantic as the figure materializes before her. Its sheer presence illuminates the surrounding void with its resplendent white glow. This being differs from the figure. While she was a figure of a trillion galaxies, this one is an ever-changing mass of shapes, figures, people, animals, and beings of alien appearance. In one moment, it looks like an elderly woman; in the next, it resembles a winged bird with the head of a burning bull; then in the third, it transforms into a pure white humanoid being surrounded by a ring of concentric eyes. Its ever-shifting presence strains mortal eyes in its vicinity. It respectfully bows toward the figure and appears to converse with her, their communication occurring in a manner only they can understand.

A ripple appears beside the two beings as another arrives. Space seems to fold into itself as the new arrival asserts its presence in a manner befitting a being that is above all. The new arrival burns with a glorious golden light that shrouds its vaguely androgynous form. Its fire seems to transform into complex geometrical patterns – double helixes, segmented heliocentric circles of squares, rectangles, triangles, and countless other shapes. It is so intricate that no mortal mind can comprehend its infinitely varied forms. It nods at the others and proceeds to communicate with them in a manner that no mortal mind can grasp.

The figure then raises her left hand to hand over the soul in its palm to the PRESENCE, but he rejects it and gestures towards the soul on her right hand. With a nod, she hands him the soul. She then proceeds to offer the soul in her left palm to the One Above All. After nodding at the two, she dematerializes from the void. The two beings then each take their respective souls and return to their respective universes.

 

4