Chapter 20.
361 7 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We left Nimue and the zombies behind with our civilians while Tiss, Jackal and I approached the camp. We soon arrived and could make out large white and golden tents in the distance. The Order’s colours.

 

Jackal may have been large now but he was surprisingly camouflaged. I pulled my cloak up and Tiss did the same as we tried to get a little closer.

 

It didn’t make sense that there would be naga here if the Order was as well. My guess was this was a camp for the Holy Crusaders before heading into the Wildlands themselves.

 

The flap of one of the tents opened and out slithered a tall woman. A naga woman. She looked much more snake-like than the ones we had freed. She was taller than I with a long scaly tail, her skin was green and she was effectively naked. She wore a large detailed chest piece that seemed as much armour as decoration. She carried a glaive in one hand and was quickly followed out by several other naga.

 

The Order was nowhere in sight. Naga held this camp. One of the naga said something to the leader and she nodded before looking towards the road.

 

“We should introduce ourselves before things get worse,” I said.

 

“We can’t even understand them,” Tiss protested.

 

“We'll figure it out,” I said, hopping out onto the road and casually walking towards camp.

 

“Oh gods,” Tiss groaned and hurried after me followed by Jackal.

 

Our approach did not go unnoticed. I held my hands up though my lower set was wrapped around my waist hidden and holding onto my dagger if it came down to it. The naga had weapons and armour that I had never seen before though many wore bits and pieces that I assumed were stolen from the Order.

 

The leader slithered forward with her glaive though did not seem aggressive, simply cautious. The other naga were on guard and ready for anything.

 

“Hello, I’m Morgan, I don't suppose any of you understand me?” I asked while holding Tiss’ hand tightly enough so she couldn't run away.

 

“You do not seem like followers of Oysus,” the naga replied.

 

I was very relieved that there wouldn't be a language barrier. 

 

“We are not, we are no friends of the Order of Musado or Sloffanil,” I smiled.

 

“They suck,” Jackal added in confirmation.

 

“H-hi!” Tiss squeaked.

 

I sighed at their help.

 

“Yet you come to their camp,” the naga leader continued.

 

“We are headed for the Wildlands to find a new home. This camp is simply on the quickest path.”

 

“A foolish quest,” she laughed. “It is a dangerous place.”

 

“You seem to be doing alright,” I offered.

 

By now more and more naga were coming to see what was going on and they greatly outnumbered us.

 

“The jungle is our home,” she grinned.

 

“Bit far from the jungle.”

 

“If we do not fight back then they will simply come to us.”

 

“I understand, cut the head off a snake rather than its tail,” I smiled.

 

She laughed. “You are brave, I'll give you that.”

 

“Did you kill those in this camp?” I asked.

 

“Some, most are prisoners,” she replied, though only vaguely.

 

That surprised me but it was the better decision if you had the resources.

 

“Perhaps we can work together then,” I suggested.

 

“I don't trust you and you have nothing to offer,” she huffed.

 

“I released three naga from imprisonment a few days ago when I attacked a nearby village. But if you wish for me to further prove my good faith then bring me a prisoner. I will show you what I can offer,” I smiled.

 

She frowned and hissed something to one of her underlings who nodded and replied. I didn't know what they were saying but it seemed like it was a good thing.

 

“You have my interest,” she said, turning back to me.

 

“Bring me a prisoner then,” I nodded.

 

Two naga broke through the crowd dragging a bound woman who was struggling against her ropes. If it were not for the gag she probably would have been yelling. The two naga tossed her to the ground and the leader folded her arms and watched what I was going to do.

 

“If I may,” I said, stepping towards the woman on the ground. She was in leather armour and looked far more roguish than a knight like Nimue. I pulled my dagger out which got a surprised look from the naga matriarch at the sight of my four arms. I crouched down beside her and easily held her still.

 

“Tiss, cover Jackal’s eyes,” I said before realizing that would be somewhat impossible considering the number of eyes he had and how small Tiss was.

 

“No, I wanna see,” Jackal grumbled.

 

Tiss was watching the woman with a combination of pity and anger. It was clearly hard for her to dehumanize people, even those responsible for her suffering. At the very least she wasn't focused on the naga.

 

“Hold still, you'll be with your god soon,” I smiled kindly before plunging the dagger into her ear. She slumped in my grasp, the life instantly fading as I collected the soul embers. I funnelled them immediately back in causing the new zombie to sit back up. Gasps echoed around us.

 

I sliced the bindings and stood before giving a bow and a flourish as the zombie rose to its feet.

 

“Impressive, you're a powerful necromancer. I am Usota, leader of our clan,” the matriarch said, though despite her calm demeanor I could tell she was a little shocked. We were a very strange bunch. “However simply being an enemy of Slofannil does not make you a friend.”

 

“Fair, I'm assuming you have something in mind,” I asked with a deferential nod.

 

Usota smiled, “I do, the Holy Crusaders are becoming an increasingly dangerous problem. Our diviner had learned many are on their way West… chasing a necromancer and her companions.”

 

I swallowed hard, that was bad… I had assumed people simply weren't aware of us.

 

“Had I any love for the Order I would turn you over as a bargaining chip however if you are capable of protecting yourself and us… we will help you find a home in the Wildlands. I can foresee us being good allies,” she explained.

 

I nodded. “I will need the resources of this camp… and the bodies if I am to hold off an attack. We have civilians travelling with us that must be kept safe and away from the battle.”

 

“I can do that,” she nodded.

 

“The road would be perfect for an ambush,” Tiss piped up but immediately quieted when everyone turned to look at her. “W-well, if the naga attacked on the road with arrows they wouldn't think anything of it, then they walk in here already wounded and… I’m Tiss by the way.”

 

Usota nodded. “I think that is a good idea, Tiss. Perhaps we should discuss details over food. Bring your people, they will be safe here.”

 

“I could eat,” Jackal nodded enthusiastically.

 

“Good job,” I said, nudging Tiss. I activated [Call of the Mistress] to tell Nimue to come and that everything was safe.

 

“Thanks,” she replied with an embarrassed smile. She was coming out of her shell and I was proud of her for it. She had come quite far from when I had first seen her.

 

Nimue arrived shortly after with everyone else. I used [Return to the Grave] to send my zombie away to where Lord Kruller and the blacksmith zombies were. While most of the naga could not speak our language, everyone was happy for food and there was plenty in the camp.

 

Tiss, Nimue and I went into a tent to eat while Jackal went to check on Ruba and everyone else. Usota joined us along with a few other naga. I ate food for the first time in far too long, mostly to be polite. No one asked why I looked undead and I didn't really feel like explaining. Only a few of us even knew I was a lich and I didn't really feel like broadcasting it.

 

“So you travelled from Llyne,” Usota nodded as Tiss recounted our adventures. She was quickly warming up to them despite their serpentine features.

 

“Yes, thanks to Morgan. She has kept us safe… and gotten us into trouble,” Tiss grinned glancing towards me.

 

I was more than content to take a back seat in things now that Tiss was comfortable. I had a defense to plan after all and Tiss was far more naturally charismatic than I was. If we were to be allies then they needed to like us and Tiss would make that happen.

 

I started planning using some paper and my enchanted quill. I sketched out a map of the camp using Tiss’ illusion before planning defences. There were plenty of trees and we had untiring labourers so a palisade and ditch would be easy. Weapons would be the hard part, we did not have that much time before our enemies arrived so whatever was here was what we had.

 

For once I was on the defensive which was concerning but still advantageous. Still, the Order had superior numbers and magic. I needed a way to destabilize them. War was all about morale. Supreme excellence consisted of breaking an enemy’s resistance without fighting. If by the time they had to fight me, they were already shaken, things would be considerably far more in our favour.

 

After food, Usota took me and Nimue to the prisoners while Tiss went to check on things. Several dozen soldiers were locked up and we made quick work of them. Usota watched with horror and admiration as we executed them. We needed all the help we could get, keeping them alive was a waste. Still, it was clear not all of the naga liked us though they still followed Usota. But in the end, I had more soul embers than ever before, for once I could truly do anything. From the executions, I earned a familiar notification.

 

[Level Up!]

 

Choice of skills was hard but as we would be fighting heavily armoured soldiers I needed something that would protect me. My fighting abilities had gotten better thanks to Nimue but I bled like anyone else, more or less.

 

[Bone Plating] 

You may absorb the bones of the dead to create bone armour plating which attaches to your body. This plating magically absorbs damage and can be repaired by absorbing more bones.

 

It wasn't fancy but it could easily save my life. I resisted the urge to test it out, deciding it was best to wait. It would certainly be easier than trying to stitch bones to myself. I looked around the large prison tent at the corpses that remained and those that now stood with Nimue. We truly had an army now, I just hoped it would be enough.

 

“Are you all done?” Tiss asked, poking her head inside.

 

“Yeah,” I replied with a smile as I followed her out.

 

“I can't believe this is happening,” she said nervously.

 

“Me neither really, but I’m glad I finally get to fight,” I replied. I was finally getting what I wanted after all. My war, or at least the beginnings of one. Everything would change and I could watch them burn.

 

“I’m glad you are happy,” Tiss said. “Look, I’m not sure I ever thanked you for helping me. I would still be in that miserable manor… if it weren't for you. You saved my life.”

 

I swallowed the lump in my throat. Tiss had been there for me this whole time, she probably saved me too. For the first time, I wanted to tell someone. “My sister died… she killed herself,” I began.

 

I shifted uncomfortably trying to get the words out as Tiss squeezed my hand. “Her… boyfriend was a despicable person and it was his fault. I was oblivious but I saw the emptiness in her eyes, I couldn't… I didn't save her. I failed,” I squeezed my eyes shut trying to hold back tears that threatened to pour for the first time in so long.

 

“I went after the boyfriend, it was all I could do,” I continued with a shaky breath. “I stabbed him with a kitchen knife, and… it made me feel less guilty, it made me feel ok. Then he shot me. We both died… but I woke up here. So when I saw you in the market with the same hollow eyes my sister had I just…”

 

Tiss pulled me into a hug as I sobbed. This was an entirely different kind of letting go but it was cathartic and her warm body against mine was an anchor to the knowledge I wasn't alone.

 

“You’re the strongest person I've ever met, Morgan,” Tiss whispered against me.

 

I pulled away with a teary smile. “I don't know, I saw you and… you deserved so much more. I just did what I could, Tiss. You've saved me as much as I've saved you.”

 

Then before I realized exactly what was going on Tiss was kissing me and pulling me close. I froze, my brain simply shutting down before I pushed her back.

 

“Oh gods, I’m sorry,” Tiss whispered, her eyes wide with horror.

 

“No… I,” I couldn't get any words out. I didn't have anything to say. I was feeling far too many things that I couldn't even process. I liked Tiss but… I didn't even know.

 

“I’m so sorry,” she said, spiralling into her own panic.

 

“It’s fine… I just… I just need some air,” I managed to get out and stumbled out of the tent. I took shaking breaths of air my body wasn't even using. I hadn't let myself even consider anything like that in so long. One goal had consumed my life. I hadn't looked at someone like that in so long. I had had a few girlfriends but that was a lifetime ago.

 

Tiss was beautiful, no doubt about it, but… I just couldn't. I wasn't ready. And now running away like an idiot I had just caused more problems.

 

“Morgan!”

 

I looked up only to be disappointed to see Nimue. Though I had no idea what I would have said to Tiss if it had been her. I couldn't give her the answer she wanted. If that's even what she wanted, I wouldn't know because I had fled. God, I was a useless and slightly damaged lesbian.

 

“Morgan!” Nimue yelled.

 

“What?” I growled.

 

“The defences are almost ready as you commanded, however scouts have spotted the Holy Crusaders. It is time, they are here.”

 

“Fuck,” I yelled. “Ok, ok, I'll be right there,” I sighed. I needed to get control of myself. I took a few breaths and compartmentalized. There were more important things to deal with right now. I had a battle to win.

If you enjoy what I create I recommend you check out my Patreon. You can gain:

  • Access to several chapters of my current story early.
  • Access to all unpublished chapters of unfinished arcs, currently over a dozen. 
  • Patreon exclusive content.
  • Fancy discord roles for my server and access to exclusive channels.

If you like what I make then please consider supporting me, it means a lot and helps keep me writing.

25