Chapter 1: And Just Like That, the World Ended (I)
694 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have discovered over time that even when sleeping, one can forget quite a lot, especially if it is for a hundred years at a time. Therefore, I like to carry out small interior monologues from time to time to refresh my memory a bit.

I would have to apologize if anyone were to hear my continuous rambling and then ask them to take it as a simple prologue to understand my situation better.

In the last thousands of years, I have introduced myself as Argyros (or Argy to my friends… when I get them). I took it from the Greek language, and it means silver or metal with a white shine. It reflects my current appearance exceptionally well.

For my surname, I followed the example of our ancestors and chose Dandel. Simply because, at that moment, I was in a field full of dandelions. Of course, it wasn't the most glorious of surnames when I invented it.

To be honest, I don't remember my original appearance anymore. So I will summarize what I see in the standing mirror every day: a tall, youthful-looking figure with snow-white hair and silver eyes.

I tried to embellish it a bit, but I don't know if you could call me handsome; I would rather call myself a circus show; come see the strange-eyed albino!

I could spend all day describing myself, but if someone asked me what I look like, I think that would give them a pretty complete picture. I would simply add that my skin is quite pale and that I am not muscular at all, unfortunately.

Fortunately, I don't stand out much in today's world. And even if I did, nowadays, circuses are too full of other types of strange creatures for them to be interested in plain, unusual-looking people. Some even have monsters in their repertoire, I mean the less dangerous types, of course.

And yes, monsters and many other fantasy creatures exist now. And that's not all; the continents mixed and separated again in new shapes and sizes. If someone could observe Earth from space, they would see a very planet different from what it was.

Not to mention flying cars or spaceships. In this new world, there is no technology, electricity, fossil fuels, or gunpowder. We practically went back to a new medieval age. At least the buildings are more similar to those of the Renaissance; well, there is a bit of everything. But I digress.

Why has the planet changed so much if it has only been around ten thousand years? Some would wonder. I would answer that we don't even have to talk about years; the world changed in just one day. All because of that damn goddess.

I must say that I am not a person of many grudges, nor do I believe that revenge is something that one should dedicate oneself to. It's a waste of time. However, there are two beings with whom I must have a serious "discussion" in the future.

The first is Ephereia; in all corners of the three continents, they praise her as the mother goddess and creator of the world. For my part, I call her the demon of the apocalypse.

 

 

Although I forget many things, there are certain details that remain etched in my memory. Particularly everything that happened that day.

It was an afternoon like any other; no… it was a bit special. A game that I waited for years would finally be released. I remember that when I got to my apartment, tired of working, I put off preparing dinner and went to turn on my computer. I planned to leave the game downloading while I cooked.

But not even that small happiness was allowed to me. The computer did not turn on. I then went to the light switch and verified that there was indeed no electricity.

Somewhat frustrated, I wanted to check the reason for the blackout on my phone and whether it was only in my sector. But the phone had no internet access.

"This is the height of bad luck. Doesn't the company have generators?"

«Humans, this world will be under my complete rule from now on.»

The unexpected voice I heard directly in my head made me drop my phone in surprise. The device crashed to the ground, and the screen shattered in the process. Apparently, the surrounding departments had similar reactions. Screams were heard from different directions.

«My world will not follow the path of destruction you have led it on. Everything will be reborn from scratch. Instead of technology and destruction, magic and nature will reign.»

It is not that I have done any action myself, but taking care of our environment has always seemed like a good thing to me. But what's her problem with technology? Can't it coexist with nature? And why is she so arrogant being a newcomer? If she exists, won't the original gods of our world also exist?

«I'm listening to you, human.»

That was the moment my blood really ran cold. I didn't have to be a fortune teller to realize she was talking to me.

Although I was somewhat upset at the prospect of losing my most precious source of entertainment, I should have kept quiet. Although, in my defense, I was silent. I learned the hard way that the gods really are omnipresent, and she was reading my mind.

«I am not omnipresent, this is a unique occasion, and I was paying special attention.»

Now, I was entirely sure she was talking to me.

«I see that you are a rather pathetic human. You were destined to become energy for what I am going to do next. But I will make an exception; you may receive my Gift along with the rest of those who will remain.»

Remain? Energy? I had no idea what the goddess was talking about; the only thing clear to me at that moment was that she was insulting me. But I tried with all my might not to pay notice to it. I didn't even want to imagine what would happen to me if I kept pissing her off.

«However, you don't have a reason to rejoice. With your capabilities, you will not be able to take advantage of it. This is just a punishment for your disrespect. I do not doubt that you will be among the first to lose your Gift to someone more worthy. A far more pitiful death than the one you would have experienced by turning into energy.»

After the goddess finished with the insults, the truth was that she was getting a bit on my nerves, but being the sane person I am, I kept trying to think of something else. Fortunately, she had already forgotten about me and started talking to the rest of humanity. Or it may all have happened at the same time; those were strange moments.

«As the first humans of this new world, you will experience many disadvantages before getting used to the new reality. Therefore, I will grant all of you Gifts.»

Following those words, more than four-fifths of the world's population perished.

12