Chapter 8: The Dryad’s Forest (III)
356 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was quite a cozy place, I must admit. It's not something I thought I'd ever say about the inside of a tree. We were in a fairly large room lit mainly by glowing green spheres floating aimlessly through it. In addition, a few rays of sunlight reached through cracks in the thick bark, which served as windows.

Instead of furniture, quite a few nooks and crannies served that function. From outside, leaves and flowers had been brought in to decorate the place.

The tree itself had been planted by Leafly a hundred years ago and had grown to its current size thanks to the [Nature's Sovereign] artifact staff. Its purpose (aside from being the meeting place for the dryads) was to help manage the magic that ran through the forest. And it played an essential role in the dryads' control over it.

Although now we were occupying it precisely as a meeting center.

I was "sitting" in a hole in the bark wall while Lord Edward was in front of me, accommodated in a relief in the wood shaped like an armchair. Leafly was also participating in the meeting, but she was sitting on top of me and had her arms around my neck.

It would seem cute to see from a distance, but the truth is that it was quite uncomfortable and did not let me concentrate on the meeting. Unfortunately, trying to separate her proved futile. That was the reason why her arms were around my neck; it wasn't a hug; she was holding on to me so I wouldn't move her away.

Anyway, talking a little with Lord Edward, I was able to learn a little about him and the current situation. In terms of geography, as I had found out moments before, the kingdom of Forlan still existed, and this forest was located practically on the border with the neighboring nation of Rimbel.

As for Lord Edward himself, as Roy had mentioned, he had no affinity for magic. Instead, he had an innate talent for politics, that's why his family held him in high esteem despite not being a magician.

Lord Edward's family, House Estalion, was quite influential in the kingdom. Apparently, they had three magicians, the highest ranking being a wizard, who was also the one who had facilitated the escort of magical soldiers to which Roy belonged.

Wizards were above sorcerers on the power scale, and it was quite a high rank. Just so you understand me, of the already few people with an affinity for magic, most end up as simple spellcasters, the rank they obtain after graduating from the academy.

"Are you interested in the academy, Your Excellency?" Lord Edward asked, trying to address me through the greenish barnacle I had attached.

"I want to experience what it's like to learn magic nowadays; it's pure curiosity, but I may stumble upon new discoveries. I've been away from society for a long time," I replied with a smile as I lowered Leafly's head with my hand so I could see something.

"It's true; the latest legends about you are quite old," Lord Edward replied, rubbing his chin. "If Your Excellency wishes to remain incognito, I can get you admitted to the academy using the influences of House Estalion. It's the least I can do for you."

"Don't worry, Lord Edward, I want to experience the entrance exam on my own." Maybe it was a bit out of nostalgia, but, most importantly, I wanted to avoid creating gaps from the beginning. I'm interested in learning magic from scratch, and that includes taking the entrance exam. "However, if necessary, I would appreciate it if you help me validate my false identity."

"Of course! But are you sure to go with the name Argy Del?"

"Ahem, don't worry, now I'm better prepared; even if they hear that name, they won't associate it with me."

"As you wish, Your Excellency."

Lord Edward told me then a little about my future house of studies. Located in the capital of the kingdom of Forlan, Leirel, Rosdan Magic Academy served as a Highschool and a University at the same time.

Four hundred years after its foundation, it was quite famous and recognized, even receiving students from neighboring nations.

There was no age limit for entry due to how rare and valuable people with magical affinities were, but nobles generally enrolled their children relatively young.

Most importantly, unlike magic knights, who also studied there, magicians were not required to wear a uniform. So I wouldn't have any problems in case it was necessary to hide my identity with my cloak.

It is worth mentioning that, as Lord Edward said, my legends are pretty old. It's almost a miracle that anyone was able to remember the name Argyros Dandel just because it resembled another (besides Leafly's hints, of course). The truth was that this had an explanation, but I would find that at a later date.

After talking for a while with Lord Edward, two dryads took him for a walk in the surroundings and to visit Roy, who was recovering quickly. I was left alone with the greenish vernacular that was still attached to me.

"Leafly, how do you may imagine you have to stay here."

"No"

It was a pretty blunt response for someone who calls me "Master."

Letting out a sigh, I responded to her "hug," and my arms encircled her delicate pale figure of greenish tone. With my face almost buried in her hair, I could smell the aroma of fresh leaves. It could be said that it was a smell similar to what I remember from an aloe vera shampoo.

"You decided to take control of this forest, so you must take charge. You cannot leave the other dryads and creatures that serve you to their fate."

"But that was because you had your tower here, Master... what's the point of staying in the forest if you're not going to be here? I don't want to return to the two hundred years before when I couldn't even feel your presence…" Leafly sobbed as she buried her head in my chest. "I have an idea! Let's move the forest near that acadmeey."

"*Academy*, and no, that would cause terror in the capital… Look, I will call you in the near future. In the meantime, organize the forest so everyone is prepared in case something happens in your absence.

"It's a promise, Master! Don't worry; this forest will always be under your control!"

"That wasn't my intention, but if it makes you happy..."

14