Chapter 17: What Lives in the Darkness
260 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At that time, a small group of six people had left the main road and was advancing through nature in search of a nearby cave. Of course, I was talking about the five adventurers and me.

However, the group of girls had no idea that I was accompanying them. It's not that I was invisible. Besides, you can't make the sound of your footsteps invisible. I was just using one of the applications of my cloak [Eternal Mystery].

To be more specific, I had changed everyone's perception of me, or rather, I had eliminated it. Now, I was nonexistent to the world around me. Not only the party of adventurers, neither monsters nor animals could perceive my existence.

To tell the truth, I would have had no problem accompanying them more normally; I could have pretended to be weak until I had to help them. But Cornelia and Nili said I would be a hindrance in the battle, and of course, I couldn't refute them.

So, a little hurt in my feelings, I had no choice but to follow them secretly. Well, to me, it just looked like a group of six people walking together.

On the way to the deathsickles' nest, I heard the girls talking and found out that Nili had turned a few hundred and twenty-four years a little while ago and was quite a young elf.

Now that I think about it, it wasn't classified information, but I feel like a stalker in this situation...

Anyway, perhaps because they remembered what Nili told me the other day, the Six Sacred Forests also came up in the conversation. It turns out it was the name of a sacred land within the elven kingdom, and no other races were allowed to enter. Only the most powerful elven magicians and their followers can live there.

Nili's dream was to be recognized by one of those magicians and join that elite group. Honestly, I was no longer confident that she would choose me only by showing her my abilities.

But, luckily I had a small "gift" under my arm for when she became my magic knight.

Now, I think I need to add it to the deal beforehand, but I was going to hand it over to her anyway, so nothing changes. However, if that doesn't help me convince her, nothing will.

After walking for a couple of hours, the girls reached the cave entrance and began their preparations. For her part, the priestess Mardy used the damn goddess's magic to bless the group.

"What a dark cave..., my lady, I think the best is for you to use a spell," Utera said, looking into the cave. She was Cornelia's other magic knight besides Lindia.

"I don't like spending magic on trifles, but you're right; Nili says this is a complicated job. Let's forget about the torches this time," said Cornelia while raising her hands, and after murmuring something, three luminous spheres appeared, levitating between them.

The group began to advance through the cave under the magical light of the magical spheres that revolved around the girls.

For my part, even if they didn't notice my existence, I could still bump into them, so I kept my distance and walked a little behind. That meant that my path wasn't the best lit, and it didn't take long for me to kiss the ground… twice. Walking through a cave in the dark will be added to my list of no-recommendations.

"Silence," blurted Nili. The elf, who led the group, had raised her hand for everyone to stop.

After a few seconds, Nili looked at the party leader and nodded.

"Lindia, Utera, lead," Cornelia ordered as she pulled out a blue whip with gold trim along its length; it was not an artifact but an enchanted weapon. "Mardy, prepare a healing spell for when it's needed."

As experienced adventurers, the girls had already realized the prey was nearby. While Mardy prayed to that demon, Lindia and Utera positioned themselves in front.

Lindia pointed her spear into the darkness while Utera drew her sword and grabbed the shield she carried on her back. It was so large that I highly doubt she would ever have been able to lift it without Cornelia's magic.

With an athletic jump, Nili positioned herself on top of a large rock, and if my senses did not deceive me, it seemed that a breeze had appeared in the cave and began to surround her.

The girls fell completely silent and focused all their attention on the ominous darkness ahead. It didn't take long for the footsteps to be heard through the cave.

Nili nocked an arrow in her bow and drew the string taut. When she began to make out what seemed to be shadows in the distance, she did not hesitate to let go of her hand, and the arrow whistled through the cave until it hit her target.

But the only reaction the girls got in response was a small grunt of discomfort. The figures continued to move towards their position. Cornelia decided they were close enough and moved one of the spheres of light forward, revealing three creatures bearing down on them.

They were three tall creatures with a humanoid figure covered with short gray fur and a pointed, eyeless head reminiscent of a mole's. When they opened their mouths, you could see several rows of sharp teeth ready to grind up the food they had just found.

Of course, what stood out the most about the creatures were the sharp blades that came out of their arms. These could be retracted at the time of digging when they used their claws, better designed for that, but when hunting, they pointed them at their victims with a posture that reminded me of a praying mantis.

One of the deathsickles had a red spot on its head; surely, Nili's arrow had been there. I had nothing but praise for the precision of the elves with their bows or perhaps that of Nili in particular.

However, the creature didn't seem fazed in the least.

10