Chapter 19: The Blue Phoenix Ring
243 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nili's abilities did not wait to stand out, and in an instant, she shot the light arrow in the direction of the deathsickle that had Lindia suspended. This time, the arrow not only pierced the creature's skull but made it disappear in its entirety. The headless body crumpled to the ground, freeing Lindia in the process.

Nili wasted no time being surprised and had already prepared another arrow of light that she released toward the last deathsickle, leaving a hole where the creature's chest had been before.

But this was a problem; the only thing that will stand out at this rate is [Sky's Might].

Fortunately, my worries were in vain, and just as the last deathsickle fell, the sound of a stampede alerted everyone. A large number of deathsickles appeared from the darkness, running towards us. Not even Nili's speed could save the group if they all attacked simultaneously.

"Argy?!" Cornelia exclaimed; she had not noticed my presence until now and was surprised to see me appear between the adventurers and the monsters rushing towards them.

Using my [Boots of the Freezing Wind], I arrived with just one jump. (They also have an offensive ability that can be inferred from the name, but I'm in the middle of getting a real wind specialist, so I might never use it).

But there's something I want to try, and it's better than any attack I can do with my boots. Now, there are no alleys I can set on fire or possible victims other than my future ones.

I looked at my ring; the blue gemstone that adorned it began shining brightly.

[Blue Phoenix Ring]

I raised my hand in the air, and a gigantic blue phoenix emerged from the ring, expanding its wings and showing all its splendor. The deathsickles, even though they were blind, sensed what was about to happen and stopped short, then turned and began to run.

"What's... that…?" said Cornelia with difficulty as she held onto what was left of her right arm with the other one.

"The deathsickles are fleeing…" Priestess Mardy sighed in relief as she saw them escape.

"... " Nili had encountered different types of magic throughout her life and travels, but even though she remained silent, her gaze, which was alternating between the silver bow in her hands and the phoenix, said it was the first time she had seen something like this.

I watched the elf's reactions and almost couldn't help but smile; it seemed my plan was working. However, I couldn't leave things halfway; there were many more deathsickles than expected and very close to the surface. It was imperative to finish them off.

But more importantly, I wouldn't look so good in the eyes of my future magic knight if I didn't finish the job.

I lowered my raised hand, and the giant phoenix, like a bird of prey, took off in pursuit of the unfortunate monsters. It didn't take long for it to catch up and pass them, leaving everything in his path turned to ashes.

The blue phoenix did not stop there and continued its flight through the cave, killing everything in its path; if there was a nest deep within it at the time, that was now a thing of the past. 

 

 

The five adventurers were sitting around the fire of a makeshift camp inside the cave. There were no causalities thanks to [Angel's Tears], although Utera was pretty close to passing away.

"Then... who are you really?" Cornelia asked, touching where the junction of her reconnected arm would have been, but not even a scar remained.

"What are you talking about? Argy Del, of course. An applicant to Rosdan academy to become a magic apprentice..." I nonchalantly answered as I closed the vial of [Angel's Tears].

Of course, I didn't think they would agree with that explanation, but my efforts focused on trying not to cry after using three precious tears.

"How much is that vial worth?" Mardy asked, noticing my heartbroken expression. As the party's healer, she had a great interest in that field.

"How much is the elixir they keep in the cathedral of the Blessed Kingdom worth?" I asked in return.

The Blessed Kingdom was the main headquarters of the Church of the Mother Goddess and where the Apostle ruled. The latter was the highest rank within the religion of the goddess.

"I can't put a price on it!" exclaimed Mardy, "The elixir is a sacred relic of the goddess Ephereia..."

"Well, each drop in this vial can do the same as the elixir; what do you think its price should be?"

"…"

After thinking about what I said for a few seconds, Mardy gasped and could only stare at the small vial that I had in my hands.

To tell you the truth, if I wanted to remain incognito, I shouldn't have said so much, but it's not an obligation in the first place; I just don't want to draw too much attention.

And secondly, it was unfair that only I knew the value of what I just used on them; I needed a little appreciation to bear the pain more easily.

"It's hard to believe, but considering that Lindia, Utera, and Cornelia are as healthy as if nothing had happened, it's quite likely true," Nili said as she observed the ostentatious silver bow she held above her legs.

It is worth mentioning that after the battle, I stretched out my hand towards Nili as a sign for her to return the bow, but the elf hugged it and turned the other way, pretending not to have seen me.

"I'm going to join in Cornelia's question," Nili spoke again, now looking at me straight in the eyes. "Who are you?"

"That's my privacy," I said with a smile. "But if I had a trusted magic knight, I would have no trouble sharing my secret with her..."

"Nilithien Thindelor is now yours, my lord; I am prepared to join you in a magical contract and share your fate."

The other girls and I were startled. It was indeed in my plans, but I thought the real convincing would only begin now.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "I wasn't lying when I said that I'm not the most expert in magic, and I do plan to enroll in the academy. Almost all of my abilities are thanks to my artifacts…"

"So they really were the legendary artifacts; even in my homeland, they are very rare and reserved only for nobles and royalty…" Nili said, looking at the [Sky's Might] bow again. "I can't even imagine how much magic is needed to use both of them at that level we just saw..."

Not really that much individually, though today I used six, counting the tears that also need magic. But I'll keep quiet about that for now; there are more important matters.

"This is the last time I ask. The answer is going to decide your future. Are you completely sure?"

"My lord, don't forget that you saved my life; that alone is more than I can say for any of the Six Sacred Forests' nobles. What's more, you are going to give me this bow... How could I reject the offer?

I hadn't said anything yet about giving her the bow… but it doesn't matter. That was my intention in the first place.

Also, I'm going to stop insisting that she think it more. In these times, everyone wants to be under a magician; the stronger, the better. Nili just found out there was a better option for her here rather than in her homeland.

"Okay, you win; I will tell you about my identity. But you must keep the secret," I said with a smile as I watched the other four girls begin to get closer quietly.

"Of course, my lord," Nili replied, scaring the rest of the party with her stare.

I leaned closer to whisper into the elf's long ear.

It didn't take long for Nili to open her blue eyes wide. She immediately turned in my direction, and before everyone's stunned gaze, she prostrated herself so hard that she hit her head.

10