Chapter 28: The Group Is Formed
298 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With their preparations completed, once the specified date arrived, the aspiring magicians and their magic knights were again gathered in the gardens of Rosdan.

But they were not standing still waiting for the teachers to open the portal to the exam's location. On the contrary, the cries of different battles could be heard. Group selection had begun.

Some may wonder how you can choose a group among unknown people, especially when it is such an important decision, due to the danger that comes with the exam.

The answer is simple: at this moment, the gardens were full of aspirants in the middle of duels. But because the main actors would be the magic knights, these were the ones who were fighting.

If the magicians were satisfied with the performance of the opposing magic knight, the group would be formed. Of course, these were not battles to the death or very dangerous; the exam was about to begin, and everyone needed to save their strength.

It seemed like a simple matter, but as usual, I found myself in a complicated situation. No magician wanted to accept a duel with Nili or Fiamme. Not only did they both have a certain reputation in the city, but I myself was the subject of rumors as one of the few applicants with more than one magic knight.

Although they had no idea of my true capabilities, just knowing that fact meant that in the eyes of others, my magic capability was not to be underestimated. Which, in turn, meant that I could share quite a bit of magic with my two already powerful magic knights.

But what did all this have to do with the duels to choose group mates? Well, as much as the aspirants wanted a strong group, even an aspirant is a magician at heart, and they were afraid of losing face, which would happen if their magic knights did a terrible job. So they choose their duel partners carefully.

"Does that mean we will have to take the exam on our own?" I said, releasing a sigh. Although, even so, I do not doubt that Nili and Fiamme would have no problems hunting a tiny monster.

"Do you plan to follow Lorcan's path?" A handsome young man with brown hair approached us. A girl with black hair tied in twin tails followed him. She was petite and had a delicate figure, but her sharp eyes said she had to be taken seriously.

"Lorcan?" I asked, hearing a familiar name.

"The son of Count Riverde," said the newcomer, then directed his brown eyes into the distance. Following them, I came across the figure of Lorcan Riverde.

In front of him were his two magic knights, the athletic twins with orange hair and golden eyes. Around them was a group of collapsed magic knights and their magicians, who were clutching their heads in despair.

"What do you mean by following his path? I haven't had a single duel... Besides, I wouldn't do the same thing as him. Those magic knights will not be able to continue to the exam."

"I mean, if you have the confidence to pass the exam with just your magic knights," the young man responded with a smile. "It seems Lorcan will do it alone."

"I have full confidence in them, but if possible, I would like to form a group; better safe than sorry. But I haven't had much luck so far..."

"In that case, I would like to be a candidate to join your group; my name is Norvin, from House Cindar," said the young man, putting his hand on his chest and slightly bowing. "I have heard rumors of your magic knights, Argy Del, especially the adventurer Nilithien; even other magicians wanted her in their ranks, but none had succeeded until now. But we can duel a little if you need to check Lilen's skills."

After saying this, the girl with a petite figure advanced with a firm step and positioned herself in front of Norvin; her hands were on the handles of the two knives in her belt. Both Nili and Fiamme came forward, each wanting to be chosen for the duel.

"No need," I said, raising my hand to signal my magic knights to stop. "It's enough for me that you want to be part of my group; at this rate, I thought we would have to go on our own."

My statement was partly true, but the complete truth was that thanks to [Appraisal], it was clear to me that I could not underestimate Norvin nor the magic knight Lilen. If they are honest, they would both be a great addition.

"If the requirements for this group are as simple as simply wanting to be part of it, then the third member will be me!"

We all look towards the origin of the voice. It came from a girl with bright blonde hair, almost white like mine. Her deep amethyst-colored eyes adorned a radiant smile.

Behind the girl walked a muscular, bald giant with a long braided beard who looked more like a Viking than a knight. The gigantic ax on its back was a confirmation of my observation.

"You are... Deia Estibel, if I'm not mistaken," Norvin said, touching his chin. "That's how you introduced yourself, at least, before your giant defeated half of the other magic knights in duels."

"Indeed, that's my name," the newcomer answered, smiling. "None of the rivals were a match for Golgor."

"And you think our magic knights are?" I said, looking at the giant, who returned a cold stare. "I don't know about Norvin, but I haven't participated in any duels; why are you sure we are a good option?"

"The truth is... From the beginning, I didn't need to participate in any duels; I just wanted Golgor to warm up for the exam," Deia said, putting her hands together. "I have heard some things about you two, and I trust my ability to judge people. I know that with your magic knights, we will have no problem with this exam."

"I've seen what you're capable of," Norvin said. "There is no objection from me. What do you think, Argy?"

"As I said, I'm not demanding; as long as someone wants to be part of the group, it's enough for me..."

Professor Mariella's voice was heard as soon as we finished introducing ourselves. The portal that would take us to Brightwood Valley had already begun to work, and the professors were urging the groups that were already formed to cross it.

As fate would have it, my group formed on its own, which was a relief. But now I had a new concern. My skill [Appraisal] didn't work on either Deia or her magic knight Golgor.

6