Chapter 31: The Truth
346 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I entered the camp with Norvin, I encountered the aroma of roasted fish. The reason was the littlebite, a large fish with a relatively small mouth, which Lilen had caught in the nearby stream and was now cooking over the campfire.

Golgor was cutting firewood from a felled tree, which would be used for the campfire. By the way, he was using a different ax than the one he carried on his back.

According to Deia, Golgor's ax was a magic item and did not lose its edge so easily. But he did not use it to cut firewood, probably out of respect for the weapon.

These two magic knights were very efficient, but neither was a social butterfly. The two of them had in common being incredibly quiet. Lilen only speaks when Norvin asks her something. On the other side, I have never heard Golgor's voice.

As for mine, Fiamme replaced Norvin guarding the perimeter, and Nili was going to do the same with Deia; that was our way of avoiding receiving a surprise attack. For the same reason, a few minutes after Nili disappeared into the distance, Deia joined the two of us, who were already sitting on a log near the campfire.

"The important thing is to visualize the light at the tips of your fingers," said Norvin, making a bright white light appear at the tip of his index finger. "It's not much different than when your magic leaves your body to enter a magic item. I understand that you use several of those."

They were actually not simple magic items; they were artifacts. The inhabitants of this world created the first and the last were created by the goddess with divine magic through the sacrifice of souls.

But of course, I wasn't going to bother correcting Norvin. First, it would sound like I wanted to show off, and second, I had a bigger problem to worry about.

We had been trying for a while to figure out how to create light, but it didn't matter how many times I recited the spell or how many times I imagined a bright spot on my fingertips. My magic just didn't want to leave my body.

"How strange... this is a pretty basic spell, one of the first ones you learn as a child," Norvin said, touching his chin thoughtfully.

"I've had this problem for a long time," I said, letting out a sigh. Transmitting magic to an object or my magic knights is not difficult. But releasing magic into the air is impossible for some reason...

"Some who are not magicians can possess magic and not be able to use it; this is the case with people that have the aptitude to become magic knights," said Norvin, closing his eyes. "But they cannot use magic items, much less have or share magic with magic knights, so it's not your case. What exactly is going on with you?"

"Right?" I said dejectedly; although Norvin is not even a magic apprentice yet, it was the first time I shared my problem with another magician, and after all, he did not understand the reason either. "That is why I had my hopes on the academy."

"Yes, that's right, maybe there is a professor in Rosdan who knows what is happening," Norvin stated. "Or at least some other way to manifest magic that works for you."

"Maybe it's something much simpler than we imagine," Deia said, smiling. "Argy, haven't you ever offended the goddess?"

The truth is that it was complicated to explain. First, my very existence had been an offense to her, as had my continued presence in her world. Also, there is the issue with the secret cult that pays homage to her and tries to amaze the power of souls.

These last are the same ones who built the temple in this valley, and let's say I have taken it upon myself to reduce their number over the years. That may not have sat well with the goddess, either.

"Well... I can't say that nothing comes to mind," I said, avoiding Deia's gaze, which, for some reason, made me nervous.

"That could be the explanation," Norvin pointed out. There is nothing in this world that can exist without the permission of the goddess. Therefore, perhaps Argy's magic is not taking shape because it's not allowed to.

"Then, the solution is simple," Deia stated with her radiant smile and raising her index finger, "perhaps you should go to a church to apologize."

I honestly can't say I didn't see it coming. With my studies in divine magic, I imagined that such a rule could have been created in the world. But I sincerely hoped that wasn't the case.

But if that really were it, many things would make sense. The artifacts and both Nili and Fiamme are not my creations and were already allowed in the world. So, I haven't had any problems transmitting magic energy to them. On the other hand, it never worked for me to create a spell on my own.

I hoped that as magical studies developed, I would find an answer to my problems. But, it seems I can't escape the goddess's influence as long as I'm in this world after all.

"You may be right, and that is the reason. I'll meet with a priest from the Church of the Mother Goddess as soon as we get back to Leirel," I lied as I stood up and stretched my arms. "Luckily, it's not that anything has changed knowing this; I have my means, and the important thing now is to pass this exam."

Both Deia and Norvin nodded. After all, they already knew that I couldn't use magic, and from the beginning, making me learn was not one of the objectives. After all, the magicians were in the background for the purposes of this admission exam, and both Nili and Fiamme were more than capable on their own.

On the other hand, I must admit that the reality of the facts is quite disappointing. It wasn't a shock because I already suspected it to a certain extent, and that doesn't mean I will lose hope or my path.

Anyway, I'm going to learn what I can at the academy; there already exist magicians who specialize in magic items and aren't good at pure magic. So my situation wouldn't be so strange. And once I get divine magic, I'll be able to use it whether the goddess wants it or not. That's the nature of that kind of magic.

I also got something positive out of these findings. I told the others that talking to a priest was an option. But it's in no way in my plans to apologize for something to the damn goddess. If it is true that the reason for my inability to create magic from nothing is not my fault but the goddess's, I can find alternative solutions.

For example, traveling to another world is always possible if necessary and as a last resort. Ephereia won't have anything to say if I'm no longer in hers. The ideal would be one with a god or goddess rival to her…

In short, nothing I have to do has changed. My goal remains the same. Obtain divine magic and come face to face with the goddess.

4