Always anxious aki.
36 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a warm summer afternoon, we see a young man walking home from school. His name is Sora, your typical sports loving high school student. But he isn't really the focus of our story. Everyday after school, sora would go and check on his childhood friend aki. Aki was a very intelligent and well endowed teenage girl. Pretty enough to put even the most popular girls to shame. Unfortunately this wouldn't be the case, as aki was wired differently than everyone else. The girl had crippling social anxiety and barely ever left the house. Choosing to home school instead of dealing with the hundreds of other teenagers.

Friends since they were five, sora was the only person who really understood aki. It's also worth mentioning how the girl could get herself into some pretty unique situations. But sora was always there to help his friend out no matter what. Today would be no different, as sora went to knock and the girls door flew open. "It's about time…get in here!!', a flustered teen whined, pulling sora into her house. "Aki...what the hecks going on!?". "This is bad, this is really bad!!", the girl cried. Seeing as how aki wasn't in school; the buxom teen was still in her pajamas. Her short brown hair was matted and hadn't been brushed yet. It was clear to sora that the girl had probably just woken up. 

"Calm down, what's the problem?", the boy sighed. "Well i...". "You...". "I ordered a package yesterday", the girl said, dropping to her knees. "Ummm, good for you?", Sora shrugged. "You don't understand, I'm gonna have to sign for it", aki said with tears in her eyes. "Okay, it'll probably do you some good to have some human interaction". "Wha…absolutely not!! You of all people know that's a horrible idea". "And why is that?". "Well…cause I'm scared", aki whimpered. Sora in turn dropped his head and let out a loud sigh. 

"You know, sometimes I really worry about you aki. It's no big deal at all, just sign and take your package…it's simple!". "But what if he wants to talk…about the weather or something". "Just nod and agree, it's not like he's asking for your life story". "Well…i…I can't. Its just too hard!", the girl fussed. Knowing aki, comforting words weren't going to help. He'd have to get creative to try and help his friend out of her rutt. "Alright aki, what if we did some role playing. Do you think that'd help you get over this". Just then, the girl hid her face and began blushing uncontrollably. "Sora…i…I didn't know you felt that way about me. But, I don't think I'm ready for that yet".

Now blushing himself, Sora tore into the eccentric girl. "What are you talking about idiot, I was gonna pretend to be the postman!!". "Oh, yeah that makes since", aki replied. With this misunderstanding out of the way, Sora put his plan into action. "Okay, this couch pillow is your package. And I am the postman, just act natural". "Right, i'll try my best!". "Ding dong, package for ms aki", sora smiled. "Uhhhh, that's me". "Okay ms, just sign right here please", he said, handing her a blank sheet of paper. On cue, aki removed the paper from Sora's hand and readied her pen. 

She looked up at the boy to see him still wearing a dorky smile. Aki really appreciated him during times like these. All the anxiety was a lot less scary when Sora was around. "Okay, just put my name here right?". "Yes ma'am, if you'll do that I can leave". Aki in turn took a deep breath and put ink to paper. The girl jotted her name and quickly handed said paper back to sora. "Alright looks good, congratulations aki. You just accepted your first package", the boy giggled. "I know, but something about it felt too easy", the girl commented. "Thats cause it was easy, there's literally nothing to it". "Hmmmm I guess not, but you'll stand behind me right". "Sure whatever, just try not to freak him out". 

As if on cue, the doorbell would begin ringing. Causing aki to nearly jump out of her skin. "Holy crap, he's here sora he's here!!!". "Calm down aki, just go answer the door and get your package". "Okay, okay, i…I'm gonna do it", the girl said, taking deep breaths. "It's just a package, just a package!". Aki would approach the door and take a gander through the peephole. On the other side stood an average looking mailman wiping his sweaty brow. More nervous than ever, aki looked back and called out to sora. "Sora, I don't know if I can do this…help me!". "No way, we practiced this. Just act natural, everything's okay!". 

Nodding along, aki slowly opened the door to greet her visitor. "Hi miss", the man smiled. "Got a package for you, just need your signature here". As he held out the clipboard, Aki's blood froze. Not only was his smile creepy, but now she had to grab something from him. This was definitely not going to work out. The girl started to get nervous, her hands got sweaty. Not to mention, she had trouble catching her breath. "Uhhh miss, is everything okay. I just need you to sign here please". "I…i…don't really…". Sensing his friend was having a hard time; sora stood up to do the right thing. 

He approached the mail man and signed his slip. The young man then grabbed aki's package and thanked the postman. After the door closed, he smiled before handing aki her mail. "You know what aki, you really did a good job today". "I…I did?". "Yep, a year ago you wouldn't have been able to open the door. So I say any progress you make is worth celebrating", he said, giving his friend a pat on the head. Meanwhile aki felt pride swelling up inside of her. The baby steps she'd taken felt more like an entire mile. Who knows, maybe one day she'd be able to shake the post man's hand. Though for now, sora was here to help…like always.

"Anyway aki, what is it that you ordered?". "I'm glad you asked, it's a video game for you and I to play. I know you like sports, so I picked it out especially for you", she smiled. Now aki could be pretty weird from time to time. But sora had to admit, he valued her friendship nonetheless. "Sure im down, let's play you whiny baby!". "Hey, i'm gonna make you eat those words bully!".

                    Weekend plans.

It was late summer evening, most young people were busy planning their weekend. Aki however, was sitting at home wearing a pouty face. "Man, everyone's always posting about their plans on the internet. For once, i'd like to have some plans to talk about". "How's that aki, you hate going out in public", Sora reminded. "That's not true", aki growled. "Even I get bored of sitting at home sometimes". "Aki stop wasting your breath, remember a few weeks ago when I won those amusement park tickets? We drove over there and you weren't even able to get out of the car!!".

"Shut up, there were like…a million people there!!". "If there were too many people at the amusement park, then where would you like to go?". Aki buried her head in a pillow; pondering over what a normal teen would say. "Hmmm, it'd be fun to maybe hang out with someone". "You hang out with me nearly everyday aki". "Not you, like…some girl friends or something". "Okay, do you have anyone in mind?". "No, I don't really know anybody", she shrugged. Feeling a tad sympathetic, Sora pulled out his phone and began scrolling through contacts.

After a moment, he found someone that perfectly fit the bill. She was nice, welcoming and totally extroverted. It was none other than Sora's cousin tomo. A sporty blonde who loved exercising and making tons of friends. "Oh yeah, I talked to my cousin tomo this morning. She and her friends were all going hiking; I'm sure you could tag along!". "Will…you be there?", aki asked. "No, it'd be you and a bunch of other girls". Hearing this certainly decreased her interest a bit. "I guess I could...but". "But what, I thought you wanted to have something to do this weekend?". "I do but I'm nervous, this isn't easy you know". Again, this was nothing new to sora. Aki had a very hard time with people and he was usually the one coaching her along. 

With a shrug, he figured today would be no different. "How about this? Tomo is a really nice girl, what if I call and let you talk to her?". "Do I have to...would texting hurt?". "I'm already dialing, you'll be fine". Within a few rings, Sora's friendly cousin picked up. "Hey tomo, you remember aki right?". The shy girl listened closely as sora asked for an invite. Everything seemed to be going fine; until Sora's gaze switched to aki. "Yeah, I can let you talk to her. Here you go aki…tomo would like to introduce herself". 

Just then, akis head nearly exploded over the thought of chatting with a stranger. This in turn caused the girl to retreat into her closet. Sora on the other hand stood with an annoyed look on his face. "Oh come on aki, i'm trying to help you here!!". "It's okay, I changed my mind. I don't like hiking anyway!". "But don't you want more friends, I'm not gonna be around forever". "So you're just gonna abandon your childhood friend? That's so mean sora!!", aki cried. Dropping his head in defeat, sora cut his call short. "Sorry to bother you tomo, I'll call you some other time". 

After hanging up with his cousin; sora took a seat by the closet door. "You can come out now aki, we're done talking". "Are you mad at me now?", the girl whispered. "No, I just wish you'd give things a chance sometimes". "It's way too hard, I'm so scared of putting myself out there! What if they're bullies, what if they hate me and think I'm weird!". "Aki, no one could ever hate you…you're a total sweetheart", sora blushed. "Y-you really mean that?". "Of course I do, now get out of the closet already". Ever so slowly, the anxious girl poked her head out. "So, what would you like to do now?", sora asked. 

"Wha…your gonna hang out with me?". "Of course, there aren't any games this weekend anyway". "Are you sure, I don't want you to be bored". "It's alright aki, I don't come here all the time cause you're a bother. You're a very special friend to me, remember". Hearing this filled the girl's heart with utter joy. She didn't say anything, but aki loved it when sora spoiled her. "I'll go make some popcorn, wanna watch a movie". "Yes, that'd be awesome!!", aki smiled. It seemed like this weekend would be fun for the introverted girl after all. 

To be continued.

0