Chapter 2 – An Unlikely Bond
110 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over the next couple of days, Rose found her thoughts often straying to Edward Nygma, the mysterious man who had rescued her that unusual night. His charismatic yet enigmatic nature lingered vividly in her mind.

To her surprise one morning, Rose received an elaborate floral delivery at Wayne Enterprises, drawing the curiosity of her coworkers. Nestled within the extravagant bouquet was a small green envelope addressed simply: "My Dear Puzzle."

Heart quickening, Rose slid it carefully open under the desk. Inside was an elegant note penned in flowing green script:

My dear Rose,

I hope this letter finds you well. Our brief encounter left me hoping for a chance to further our discussion over puzzles and life's greater mysteries. If your curiosity matches my own, come to this address tonight at 7. Solve the riddle to be let inside:
What is seen in the middle of March and April that can't be seen at either end?
Sincerely,

Your friend E

A tiny emerald question mark was dotted below along with the address printed neatly underneath. Pulse racing, Rose understood it was a summons from none other than the Riddler himself. The thought of seeing her unusual savior again filled her with conflicted feelings - apprehension yet also undeniable excitement.


That evening, Rose hesitated outside the mysterious address, a decrepit warehouse on the outskirts of the Narrows. Taking a deep breath, she knocked and spoke the answer to the riddle: "The letter R."

The weathered door creaked open, revealing Edward standing there in full Riddler regalia - emerald suit fastidiously pressed, golden cane glinting. A grin spread across his face.

"Welcome, my clever friend. Please, do come in. I'm delighted you accepted my invitation."

As Rose crossed the threshold into the Riddler’s secret lair, she found herself in what appeared to be both a cozy lounge and a work area, combined into one multi-purpose room. Plush furnishings were scattered around, giving it an inviting feel. Intriguing artifacts and puzzles also filled the space.

Edward gestured grandly to the eclectic space he had crafted. "Please excuse the mess - the life of a rogue does result in some disorganization. But make yourself at home!"

He first showed Rose to a seating area with rich Persian rugs and handsome leather armchairs surrounding a table. "I often recline here while crafting intricate schemes or riddles to vex the minds of Gotham's dolts," he explained.

They then passed a well-stocked bar and a small kitchenette area. "Help yourself to any drinks or snacks while you visit!" Edward added with a gracious smile.

Next, he guided Rose over to an elaborate worktable strewn with papers, tools, and bits of technology. She realized with awe it was where he engineered the puzzles and inventions around his criminal themes.

"My workspace for bringing imaginative chaos to this dull city," he proclaimed with pride.

Finally, they stopped before a bookcase packed with texts of all genres, puzzles, and board games. "And entertainment for when even I require respite from my relentless thoughts,” Edward remarked.

"Now then, might I interest you in a game?" Edward asked, green eyes glinting eagerly. "Clue perhaps? Or Scrabble - I assure you I can provide a challenge there..."

"Clue sounds like fun," Rose replied brightly, finding the murder mystery theme quite fitting for Gotham's notorious Riddler.

"Excellent choice," Edward approved. He stood to retrieve the box from its place on the shelf. Returning, he began neatly arranging the game pieces between them on the table.

"Fair warning, I'm pretty good at deduction," he said, fixing her with a cunning grin. "Solving puzzles is rather what I do best."

Rose arched a playful brow. "Well, I think I can hold my own. I might even give the great Riddler a run for his money!"

Edward threw back his head with a genuine laugh. "You've got spirit - I like that. Very well then, may the best detective win!"

As they drew cards and sorted clue sheets, Rose felt a thrill beneath Edward’s undivided focus. Maybe she could impress this criminal mastermind after all.

Divining theories, they moved their character pieces into rooms. "It could have been Professor Plum with the knife in the library," Rose mused.

Edward smiled. "Intriguing start. But we must deduce all possibilities before naming the culprit."

They called out suggestions to test hunches against new clues uncovered with each turn. Both became swept up trying to outwit the other in piecing together the puzzle. Edward was clearly in his element, eyes alight with intellectual excitement.

When the final rounds narrowed the remaining suspects, Edward leaned forward, steepling his fingers with cool confidence. "Now Miss Scarlett remains in the billiard room still wielding that lead pipe. But all is not as it seems..."

Rose tilted her head, considering the challenge. She moved her character piece into the conservatory. "Then I think that it was you, Professor Plum, who staged this crime of passion in the library after all!"

Edward blinked in surprise then let out a full hearty laugh of delight. "Well played! I see I have met my match at last. You have bested me fair and square."

Rose beamed proudly as Edward congratulated her on winning their mystery challenge.

As they began resetting the game board, Rose asked, “Do you want to play another round?”

“I have a better idea,” Edward replied with a twinkle in his eye. “Let’s make things a bit more interesting with a game requiring more complex strategy - chess!"

“Sounds good," said Rose.

He rose gracefully and retrieved a carved chess set from a nearby shelf. Rose helped him carefully arrange the matching ebony and ivory pieces along the checkered board.

Settling back in his leather armchair, Edward motioned for her to take the first move.

“Do you want to go first, my dear?" he purred, steepling his fingers as he regarded her strategically from across the board. His green eyes shone eagerly through half-lowered lids, awaiting her initial feint in their battle of wits.

Rose studied the game pieces carefully as she considered her strategy. If chess could reveal something about one's mind, she thought, then analyzing Edward's style of play may provide insight into how his brilliant mind worked. She was interested in seeing how his clever thoughts set up tricks and maneuvers. Getting a glimpse into Edward’s tactical thinking process seemed like a puzzle within itself that she was eager to solve.

Mirroring his body language, Rose rested her chin on her interlaced fingers as she met his expectant look with a subtle smile. She advanced a white pawn into the center of the board to begin establishing control of that strategic area with a standard opening move.

Edward nodded as she positioned her pieces. "A solid opening, but be wary - controlling the center leaves your other pieces exposed."

He cautiously advanced a black knight. "You’ll have to think several moves ahead to outmaneuver me."

As their pieces moved across the board in a delicate dance, the room was silent except for the tap of shifting pawns and knights. Rose watched Edward intently as he calculated his assault on her left side.

After a tension-filled series of exchanges, Edward sacrificed a rook to bait her into a mistake. A smug grin appeared as he capitalized on her overextension.

"Perhaps today's success was beginner's luck," he goaded lightly.

Annoyed by the taunt, Rose looked critically at her position and castled to protect her king. "Don't count me out yet, Nygma," she replied determinedly.

As the endgame approached, Edward pressed his attack but Rose defended resourcefully to match each maneuver. Finally, they reached an unexpected stalemate, her organized defense perfectly countering his varied strategies.

Surveying the locked position, Edward tipped his king begrudgingly with an approving nod.

"I'm impressed, my dear, not many can beat me in chess," he said, studying the board.

"Thank you, I had fun challenging the esteemed Riddler," Rose replied, matching his smile.

After they put the chess pieces away, Edward gestured to his game collection. "Care to test our wits further in another game?"

"Pictionary could be fun," Rose suggested.

Edward's eyes lit up. "Excellent choice!" He set up the easel board and supplies. "I look forward to interpreting your artistic skills."

As they took turns drawing and guessing, laughter echoed throughout the hideout. Edward waved his arms wildly trying to get Rose to guess "helicopter" from his frantic scribbles.

When it was Rose's turn to draw, Edward leaned forward eagerly, calling out his rapid-fire guesses. "Aha, it's a rhinoceros!" he proclaimed as Rose finished a messy creature.

"It was supposed to be a cat..." Rose giggled, but couldn't stay serious watching him gesticulate dramatically.

After many amusing rounds, Edward was declared the victor. "A well-played game, my dear," he said, giving her a gracious bow.

"I guess drawing is more your strength than mine," Rose chuckled.

Edward gestured toward the worn but cozy couch. "I wish to share something rather special with you now, if I may," he stated, retrieving a leather-bound book.

Intrigued, Rose seated herself while he joined her side.

"Within lies a glimpse into the workings of my formidable mind," he proclaimed.

As he opened to a page of intricate schematics, Rose leaned in, utterly fascinated. She could practically envision the graceful infrastructure and mechanical puzzles springing from the page.

"These are incredible, Edward," she breathed.

Edward practically glowed under her admiration. Turning the journal towards himself again, he traced a pencil down the technical lines as he described the functionality behind each invention.

After thoroughly explaining several pages, he glanced up and seemed to suddenly recollect Rose's presence. With an almost embarrassed little cough, he closed the journal.
"Forgive me, in my enthusiasm I forgot you aren't here to merely marvel at my own genius." He gave her a sheepish smile. "Please, let's find some amusement we can enjoy together rather than me prattling on."

Edward picked up a remote control and flipped through various television channels. His gaze soon lit up as he landed on a trivia game show featuring contestants struggling with seemingly simple questions.

"Let's see how my intellect measures against these so-called contestants," he remarked with amusement.

Rose smiled, intrigued to watch Edward's brilliant mind at work analyzing the gameshow questions. His sharp gaze scrutinized the screen as contestants fumbled over basic history and literature queries.

"Honestly, even a child should know The Odyssey was written by Homer," Edward clucked. "And this passes for entertainment?"

"Well not everyone can be as clever as you," Rose pointed out, playfully nudging his arm.

Edward's mouth quirked upwards as he turned his focus fully to Rose. "Perhaps not, but possessing common facts is hardly the pinnacle of intelligence now is it?"

As the trivia show continued, Edward kept scoffing at the obvious wrong answers the contestants gave.

"It's the Battle of Hastings, you nincompoop!" he exclaimed at the flustered man on screen.
Rose had to press her lips together to avoid laughing outright at his relentless commentary. She found his confidence rather magnetic, even in critique.

"Honestly, how do these bumbling amateurs even qualify to be on television?" Edward lamented. "I could utterly destroy them in a battle of wits without barely trying."

"Then why don't you go on the show?" Rose suggested impishly.

At that, Edward's green eyes glinted. "What a great idea! Publicly flaunting my superior intellect and making fools of the masses on live TV..."

He rubbed his hands together, clearly already enthralled by this idea. Meanwhile, Rose just smiled affectionately at his vigor, entertained by his boastful reaction.

As the show ended, Rose stretched and glanced at the clock on the wall. She was surprised to see how late it had gotten. "I should really be heading home soon," she said reluctantly.

Edward frowned at the thought of their lovely evening ending. But a clap of thunder made them both glance towards the windows. Through the panes, lightning flashed ominously close, and rain could be heard pelting down on the roof.

Turning back to Rose, Edward gently took her hand. "My dear, that storm is raging fiercely out there. I would fear for your safety trying to make it home tonight.”

He gave her a hopeful look. “Perhaps...you might stay here until it passes? I assure you, I would be complete gentleman."

Gazing at his earnest expression, Rose felt a conflicted mixture of nerves yet also shy excitement at the prospect he presented. Before she could overthink, another loud thunderclap decided for her - there would be no safe journey home tonight.

"Well, I suppose the weather makes that offer hard to refuse," Rose conceded with a small smile.

Edward's face lit up as he stood. "Excellent! Now, let me show you to your room."

Rose followed him down the shadowy corridor, past several closed doors until he stopped before one, turning the brass knob to reveal a small, cozy bedroom.

The space was simply furnished but warm and inviting, with a queen bed, dark wood nightstands, and a quilt in rich jewel tones. Heavy velvet curtains blocked out the stormy night.

"I hope this suits your needs for the evening," Edward said, glancing at Rose.

She gave him a tired but grateful smile. "It's perfect, thank you."

He returned the smile, lingering in the doorway as if not wanting to part from her company just yet. An unspoken question lingered in his eyes.

Rose bit her lip. "Would you...like to come in? Maybe we could talk a little while longer." To her surprise, she found herself hoping he'd accept.

Edward hesitated only briefly before stepping inside. Perching beside her on the bed's edge, they resumed chatting in hushed tones as lightning flashed beyond the windows.

A loud thunderclap made Rose jump. Edward noticed her startled expression. "Rather frightening storm tonight," he commented.

"Storms have always terrified me," Rose admitted, looking downward shyly.

"Ah, I see." Edward's voice held no judgement.

Another crack of thunder pealed outside. Without thinking, Rose grabbed Edward's arm. Realizing herself, she started to pull back but he covered her hand gently.

"It's alright, my dear. Here, come closer." He opened his arms invitingly.

Rose hesitated only a moment before nestling into his lean chest. She felt silly admitting her childish fears, yet his solid warmth was already reassuring.

Enfolded in his embrace, Rose jumped less with each thunder roll, focusing instead on Edward's steady breathing. His gloved hand stroked her hair soothingly as she breathed in his scent. She felt her eyelids growing heavy.

Noticing her struggle to stay awake, Edward murmured, "Perhaps we should continue our conversation tomorrow." He made a move as if to slide off the bed.

Rose clung to him in her half-asleep state. "Stay..." she pleaded softly.

Edward seemed taken aback before nodding slowly. "If that's what you need to feel comfortable here, then of course I'll stay, my dear."

Rose's shoulders relaxed. She slid under the covers while Edward sat beside her.

As another rumble of thunder rolled outside, Rose quietly slipped her hand into his resting palm. Edward gently enclosed her fingers within his gloved grasp. His touch was reassuring, banishing any lingering unease from the storm's rumble.

"Lie down with me," she whispered, scooting to make room. Edward hesitated only a moment before complying, easing down beside her on top of the blanket.

Now face-to-face, Rose studied his sharp features in the low light. Acting on impulse, she tenderly traced her fingers along his jawline, eliciting a faint intake of breath from him.

"Thank you for staying with me, Edward," she whispered.

"Think nothing of it, my dear," he replied gently. "Now get some rest."

His long fingers began slowly sifting through her hair in a soothing motion. Rose nestled closer, comforted by his warmth and steady heartbeat.

She let her heavy eyelids fall shut, losing the battle to sleep. But not before murmuring a soft "Goodnight, Edward."

Just as she drifted off, Rose thought she felt the light pressure of lips against her forehead. But maybe that was only a dream, as slumber embraced her fully in the darkness.

1