Chapter 10 (L)
59 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As he fantasized about his future accolades he must have forgotten to swallow as a chunk of meat became clogged in his airway. Reaching for the nearest drink, Lukas quickly chugged the crimson liquid in one gulp. After successfully clearing his throat Lukas began to appreciate the sharp and delicious taste of the unknown drink. As his body rapidly absorbed and digested it, he felt a comfortable zapping sensation across his skin. It felt like he had endless amounts of energy bounded within him, just waiting to be released.

Bolting up from his chair Lukas stretched a bit before performing a few air punches.

“Whew, I feel great,” he said as his little punches skillfully shot out nowhere in particular .

James and Mabel shared the same relieved and satisfied look at Lukas before James added,

“Hehe great, now you can help me rebuild the parts of the cabin you destroyed”

A fired-up Lukas nodded enthusiastically before running out the door. As James followed behind him Mabel stared at the large blood-stained glass while thinking,

 ‘Hmm I guess I’ll have to adjust my cooking’.

 

Efficiently and tirelessly, Lukas worked on the various duties assigned to him by his father. Hauling the window and door frames into place, as well as pounding bolt after bolt back into place. Then sawing and resawing, sanding, painting, etc. Lukas slaved away until they eventually ran out of essential supplies.

With not a drop of sweat on either two (but for different reasons) the father-son pair walked back into the cabin. 

“Mabel we're gonna head into the city to buy supplies,” said James notifying Mabel of their plans.

“Expect us back by sunset.” He said giving her a kiss that Lukas recoiled at.

After ushering the two out the door they headed to the nearby city of Bellwood. Bellwood couldn’t technically be considered a big city in the kingdom of Noat. Whether it was area or buildings, when compared to any other city in the kingdom, Bellwood was inferior. However, it was considered a central hub by many of the peasants and farm folk and was seen as a grand destination. Bellwood featured many stalls and shops that many traveling merchants frequented. A popular brothel known as The Golden Lass. As well as a small cadre of mercenary forces known as the Ironwood Serpents Mercenary Corps. All this allowed Bellwood to become a small trading spot with different products.

 

Trotting along the cobblestone path on the back of their brown horse, Lukas and James entered the gates of Bellwood City. Empty dilapidated guard towers flanked their respective sides as a small cadre of soldiers eyed them on foot upon entering. 

After passing their visual pat-down James and Lukas were allowed access to the city innards. James made a beeline to the markets in the heart of the city after tying up their horse.

 

As they made their way to the market district if the city, they passed many other villagers and travelers walking around. 

‘Oh, wow it’s a lot of people out today. The merchants will definitely put out their best merchandise hehe’ thought James with a devilish grin as he towed Lukas along.

 

The dreary cobblestone path under their feet eventually turned to a vibrant brick red, signifying their arrival to the marketplace. The marketplace was in the center of Bellwood city and easily discernible on its 40x40 meter circular brick pavement. Rules of the city dictated only buyers and sellers were allowed on the brick pavement. As such this place was usually devoid of homes and buildings but instead was arranged in long rows with stalls on either side. 

 

Getting right to it, James made his rounds to the various vendors of the supplies he needed. Namely rope, screws, and of course he needed to sell off some of the spoils from the Liger. James was an expert haggler and could talk till blue in the face. Though this got him deals most of the time, it also means they spent a lot of time shopping. Lukas had been to the market with his dad before recognized the tell-tale signs of when his dad was entering master haggler mode. A scratch of the chin and a squint of an eye was all it took for Lukas to know they’d be here for a while.

 

“Hmm 1 silver coin for all this” James haggled .

“2 is as low as I can go! I've already reduced the price twice.” cried the young shopkeeper.

“Bah, what kind of shopkeeper are you?! I’ll tell you back in my day...” 

‘Might as well look around while he does that’ thought Lukas.

Tugging on James coat to get his attention Lukas then said “Dad I’ll be back I’m going to look around near those stalls” .

“Yeah, sure son” he hurriedly replied without looking.

After notifying his father of where’d he’d be, though he barely heard him, Lukas went to look at some stalls that featured books and spell models. Since he was young Lukas would read whenever he could. James and Mabel cultivated this hobby in him and tried to support it as best as they could. Back at home, he had many books about the fantastical mages and knights of Noat’s history. Sadly, books could get expensive, especially spell models which were treated as precious as actual weapons.

 

In the world of Arreia spells came in two forms. spell models which had to be visually imprinted mentally or learned. And verbal spells which were basically mana filled characters  that you had to recite. 

Both had their strengths and weaknesses, ranging from discretion, cast time, and market availability. Verbal spells were a lot harder to find in markets such as Bellwood’s. Often written in archaic tongues, verbal spells were also hard to translate. They were usually past down in clan and sect heritages and sold at auctions.

Spell models, on the other hand, were a lot easier to come by if one had the funds. These were general spells that were often mass-produced and were well known in the mage world. Spell models were usually only rank I and rank II spells. Spells of this rank could this still be dangerous, but not powerful enough to threaten an army or country.

Rank III and rank IV spells were known to be catastrophic and were reserved for large scale battles. Spells of this caliber were usually verbal and required long drawn out chants. That’s not to say spell models of rank III and IV spells did not exist, just like most things in Arreia they could be gained through wealth or power.

 

Luckily, the ones available in Bellwood’s stalls only require a couple of silver or gold coins. But Lukas had already told himself he wouldn’t buy anything until after he spoke to Selene first. But looking could not hurt right?

 

As Lukas passed down the row of stalls. Fantastical sights to his left and right competed for his attention one after another. 

 

“Come one come all. For today only I’ll sell this Fireball spell model for only 1 gold coin “ advertised one merchant .

 

“Have you ever wanted to be invisible?! Slit your enemy’s throats without them knowing with this spell model! Only 5 gold coins!” Screamed another .

 

Lukas continued his way down just looking and absorbing the different prices and interactions going on around him. 

 

‘Yikes, ten silver coins for a healing spell model? Definitely, a fake’ Lukas laughed at a nearby customer being hoodwinked.

 

Not seeing anything eye-catching or different since his last visit. Lukas began to turn around until a familiar sight caught his eye.

 

“Glory! Honor! Riches! Do these things excite you? As a young man they should, come one come all and learn how you can become a pillar of society, a noble and honorable knight for the kingdom of Noat!” said a young man in ornate looking armor at the end of the stall.

 

Standing at 6’4 with an athletic and toned build, a strong and attractive face curtained by long blond hair, and a heroic voice this young knight stood out amongst the crowd like a sore thumb. However even though he stood out so, he was ignored by virtually everyone except the youths younger than Lukas. 

 

Seeing he was not really drawing his target demographic Lancelot sighed internally before resting on his nearby crate.

Oi long time no see Lancelot!” Lukas greeted with a smile as he weaved his way through the children.

Looking between his metallic interlaced fingers Lancelot eyed a familiar pair of little leather boots.

“Yeah, it has been. Last I saw you; you were haggling for spell modules haha” chuckled Lancelot.

“Hey, I almost got a good deal that day,” said a flushed Lukas with a shrug.

“So, what brings you here today kid? I don’t see any spell modules on ya.”

“Well uh I actually wanted to learn more about knights” 

“Knights huh? I thought you were set on being a mage?” 

“I’m keeping my options open” Lukas replied with a scratch of his head.

“Well in that case-“ started Lancelot before being interrupted.

“Lukas!” interjected James from the end of the row of stalls “let’s go!”.

Lukas sighed at his father’s beckoning figure before turning back to face Lancelot 

At the turn of his head, Lukas was greeted with a blue tightly bound book, being thrust into his face .

“Take it,” said a nonchalant Lancelot, “Apparently I don’t have the time to tell/teach you anything but everything I know is in there”.

Lukas's eyes brightened at the novel before him, reaching forward his fingers touched the smooth snakeskin leather cover.

‘Expensive’ Lukas thought ‘This is probably his personal notes/journey as a knight. Way too valuable!’

“I-I can’t take this” he began to refuse.

“Sometime this year Lukas...” Rushed his father .

“Take it, kid, I’m not asking,” said Lancelot with a thrust of the book into Lukas’s bosom

“Oof” exclaimed Lukas as he gripped the leather-bound book “Thanks, Lancelot!”

“Yeah yeah just make sure you bring it back. I still want to pass it on to my kids” said Lancelot with a nonchalant flip of his hair.

“Haha will do!” Lukas waved as he ran down the row of stalls to his awaiting father

‘Hmm if he can perform the first exercises in the journal, he might have some promise as a knight’ thought Lancelot as he eyed Lukas’s retreating figure.

To Be Continued...

2