Prologue
187 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 ‘It was a success’, I thought to myself. So stunned I couldn’t formulate the words aloud. And not just a run of the mill 30% conversion rate "success", oh no. But a shocking 100% conversion status of the specimen. 

I wipe the sweat from my brow and pace around my small lab. Absentmindedly, I pat the empty stained pockets of my coat in search of my scientific journal. Past the vials of cloudy liquids and sharp instruments my gaze travels till it lands on the journal laying on the floor. I wearily reach to pick it up as my body lowers toward the ground. Just as I pick it up, I wince at the sharp pain in my back. 

A scowl appears on my face as I grumble at my greatest adversary. Aging.

'If not for aging I wouldn't be on the run right now,' I think to myself, but immediately rethink. The desire for knowledge has always fueled my very being. If not aging, then this desire would have formulated another justification for my forbidden research. 

As I open the pages and begin to jot down my latest achievement. I can't help but stare at them. Two magnificent resul- I mean eggs. Their shells shine with the pearly luster of a jewel. Size wise they're bigger than some Devil Bird eggs I've seen. Standing at about half a meter tall with a red glow vaguely above the eggs' surface, I admire their beauty. I can't help but reach my wrinkled hand out to stroke the surface of one. Very warm, almost hot to the touch they feel.

"You babies are my second chance" I say aloud to the eggs.  "And no one will ever think to look for us here in Noat" I add confidently. 

This confidence comes from knowing I used the utmost stealth when moving here and procuring these bad boys through the White Widow Syndicate. 

Breaker promised me all leads would end up nowhere, and those overgrown lizards in Verak would just have to just cry and make another ha-ha,’ I gloat to myself. Once I manage to tear my passionate gaze from the eggs, I make my way to finish recording in my scientific journal. 

-Experiment 626 is the magnum opus in my research into the blending of bloodlines. Unimaginable strength, speed, endurance, and agility. Psychic capability and genius level intellect. Combined with an unparalleled talent in magic. I fear I may have created a new monster. 

I write jokingly 

Tearing my feverish gaze from the book I think to myself, ‘what to do next’

Surprisingly both eggs made it through the experiment. I only required one for my rebirth and the other was just to practice. Who would've thought the technique would work on both eggs? I suppose I could raise one and use the other for my rebirth, I thought. Just before I decided to take this course of action, I felt a horrible feeling in my gut.

*RUMBLE! RUMBLE! RUMBLE! *

Before I have a chance to question the feeling, I get the answer. “I’ve been found”, I think and say almost simultaneously. ‘Yesss you have’, a serpentine voice whispers in my head. Launching myself into action I do the only thing I can. Attempt to escape.  I look at the two eggs and hesitate. What a waste, I lament in my head as I grab only one egg and make my way to the back exit of my lab. All around me I see cracks appearing on the dark stone walls. ‘I don’t have much time’; I think to myself. ‘How could they have snuck up on me so silently? How did they even find me?’ “Fucking bloodsuckers” just as I finished cursing the bastards, they found me. Around me I can feel the magical pressure from what feels like multiple peak master level assailants.  Suddenly all I can smell is sulfur as everything comes tumbling down around me.

“Argh! AHH!” I exclaim as various jagged rocks impale my old and frail body. Coughing I spit blood on to the milky surface of the egg in my bosom. “My sec…ond, cha…nce” I manage to rasp out as I lay dying still clutching the egg. As the last embers of my life fade, I gasp at the sight of a figure with long blood-red hair, and sharp fangs that are glinting in the moonlight.

 

                                                                                     


Raizell POV

After news of the theft left the palace, all the forces of Ash Mountain were mobilized as the city went on full lock-down.

According to intel the theft happened late night in the rookery after Her Majesty had to retire for tomorrows’ holy day. By that morning the king had already created a specialized task force of 7 squads to find the princes. Every squad captain was informed upon leaving for the mission, that failure was not an option.

I would personally head one of the squadrons, a small team of 6 peak intermediate level mages. And myself being a master level mage.

After receiving a tip from a mole in the White Widow Syndicate our hunt for the egg thieves led to an inconspicuous stone cottage in the Noat kingdom.

During the daylight we did a fly by to scout out the surrounding woods and area around the cottage. Though the intel said our target was harmless, I’d preferred to be sure that there were no ambushes lying in wait.

Only upon successful scouting of the cabin did my vigilance ease up a bit.

I sigh decisively while informing the rest of the squad through our mental link. The target is believed to be an old alchemist of mediocre talent. Time is of the essence so once night falls, we will strike.

As it has for millennia, day eventually turned into night. I stand in the forest outside the cottage. My figure is tall and taut in comparison to the dense shrubbery and thin trees. Looking up at the bright round opal in the sky I feel the anticipation rising in my gut. The anticipation for the hunt.

I know my eyes must be glowing a furious shade of red at this moment. But I don’t care. I fully intend to be as beastly as my heart desires. I clench my scaly hands.

*crack crack* As my knuckles pop and muscles bulge, I feel my razor-sharp obsidian nails elongating out of my nail bed.

“It’s time.”

Giving the order to the team to split into three and cover both exits of the cottage I sent my mental awareness into the building.

*RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE*

Though I tried to be tactful, my mental force may have shaken the cabin a bit, alerting the target. Oh well, I think. He’s fucked now anyway.

 I discovered the thoughts of the old man once inside and began to listen in just as he exclaims “I’ve been found”. It was then I knew he was our guy. I sent him a mental message to let him know the jig is up as I gave the okay for the Earth mage in our squad to bring the building down.

 “Excellent job captain” I compliment the guard, Argos. Nodding his head happily, I can tell the rare compliment is appreciated. As I make my way through the rubble, I can’t help but smile.

 I’m in a good mood. ‘Well, at least now I am’, I think to myself. Suddenly discovering the meat paste of the human, I feel a scowl coming upon my face.

 “Even in death the sight of this criminal makes me want to start a war with the entire human race!” I exclaim to my subordinates angrily. They flinch at my outburst as I catch some gulping nervously from the powerful aura I released. Sighing tiredly, I tell them to secure the perimeter as I search the rubble for any signs of the princes. My crimson irises land upon an egg pushed flush against the bloody remnants of the old alchemist.  Using the powerful reptilian tail extending from my lower back, I lurch the large pieces of rubble off the egg and human meat patty.

I wipe the human remains off the sides of the egg as I inhale deeply. *sniffs* Closing my eyes I concentrate my sense of smell to its most acute. I smell the trees and vegetation near us, as well as some nearby humans, eagles, some mice, and a troll camp. As I inhale deeper the familiar scent of sulfur makes its way into my nose. Upon recognition of the smell, every blood cell in my body thrums and my eyes fly open. I hurriedly exhale as I hold the egg in my scarlet gaze.

“…”

“My prince”, I finally say. This mission is a complete success now, I think to myself. As I’m preparing to call the soldiers back, another familiar smell assaults my nostrils.

Looking, well sniffing around I make my way over to another unsuspecting pile of rubble. As I work my way through it, the smell gets stronger until my eyes happen upon another egg. My initial relief at the sight however soon turns to sadness. This egg appeared to be dead. There’s a long crack running down the center of it and it lacks the vibrant red glow around its shell like the other.

“A shame, that human wretch deserves a thousand more deaths for this”, I hiss through my enlarging fangs.

 

Through our mental link I tell the rest of the soldiers to make their way back. There’s nothing more to find here. I gingerly wrap the egg against my chest and can feel it vibrate.

*thrum thrum thrum*

“You’re a strong fellow, not even a hatchling yet and you can already feel our familial bond”, I mutter.

I gently touch my lips to the egg as I promise I’ll never fail It like I failed its’ sibling. With that resolution in mind, I order the rest of the party to take to skies, as I unfurl my massive garnet wings *whoosh whoosh* leading the way back to our home, Ash Mountain.                                                                                    

                                                                                       


SWOOSH! SWOOSH! SWOOSH! The sound of the huge wings of a devil bird flapping in the sky crescendos through the forest. He’s the king of these skies and he knows it. Right now, pushed by hunger he searches for easy prey.

A storm is coming soon, so he doesn’t have time to spend on wearing down a strong opponent. He circles a secluded area of the forest until he catches the scent of sulfur and what smells like a possible dinner.

His 15 ft wingspan carries him to the remains of something. Landing beside the carcass he takes a few gulps. Human…old human. He begrudgingly swallows while looking for the delicious sulfury smell.

“Squawk!” (Found it!) exclaims the devil bird. Its gaze resting upon the cracked egg. it works its way over salivating the whole time. It gives the shell a few pecks but ends up with just a sore beak. Hard. Must be a high-level magic creature, thinks the devil bird. RUMBLE! The skies grumble above as dark clouds begin to roll in. It latches its powerful talons around the egg, as it makes up its mind to eat the egg at its nest. With one fluid motion of its wings, it takes off into the air with the egg in tow.

As it’s flying over a couple rural farm towns near the Great Forest, the devil bird begins to tire a bit. Though the egg only weighed about 10 pounds, it had to carry the egg, fight the winds, and stave off its’ hunger. Flying so hard on an empty stomach really depressed the devil bird, plus this storm was getting stronger and stronger. Just as it was contemplating dropping the egg and hunting somewhere else, it was zapped by a stray wisp of lightning.” SKREE!” (OW!) exclaimed the bird as it dropped the egg. Too angry and hungry to care the devil bird took off to the horizon in search of easier prey.

                                                                                


Mabel’s’ POV

 

SKREE! Jumping up in the darkness I glance wildly around the family sized cabin. A cold sweat on my skin makes my woven nightgown cling to my heaving bosom.

 I place my hand on my racing heart, and soon relax a bit. “Whew I thought a devil bird broke in while I was asleep”, I said to no one in particular.

“James”

“…”, silence greets me.

“He must not be back yet”, I sigh

Getting out of bed I grab a cotton blouse hanging on a chair, tugging it over my head I carefully work it over my messy slightly greying chocolate curls.

On the seat of the chair lay my skirt which I hurriedly throw on. Looking at the window I notice drops of water pelting the thin glass furiously

‘It’s, really storming out there’, I think to myself. ‘Could that have been the noise that woke me up?’ I wonder

“But I could’ve sworn…” I trailed off

The gears in my head turning fiercely, I ultimately glance at the door with a resolute expression

‘No, I’ve lived near these woods my whole life and I know a devil bird cry when I hear one’. Making up my mind I hop out of bed and throw on James’s alligatorturtle skin coat and some boots.

 ‘If I let a devil bird steal the little livestock we have, James may have to spend all winter hunting. With the thoughts of me and James’s future prosperity spurring me on I grab the rusty hunting sword laying under the bed. Clasping the sword in my left hand I get used to its unfamiliar weight.  

*swish swish*

I swing the blade a few times.

Nodding my head, I stomp towards the door.  My hand grasps the cold doorknob, twists, and tugs strongly as I head out into the stormy weather.

Furious winds and rain greeted me upon stepping out the door. Second thoughts soon bubble up within me, James did say to stay inside until he came back…., an inner voice warns.

“Get it together Mabel”, I reaffirm

Shaking my already soaked head, I try to clear my thoughts.  I resist the strong tempest and trudge forward headfirst.

“Just lock up the sheep and pigs and run back Inside” I think aloud.

Walking down the cobble stone path I made my way to the pig pen. “Here piggy, piggy, piggy”, I called out. Stepping forward in a pile of forming mud I lose my balance and slip backwards. Wildly flailing my arms, I look for something to hold on to before I abruptly fall flat on my butt. Raindrops pitter patter on my stomach as I lay on my back from the fall. I notice a sharp pain on my left hand and realized I cut myself on the sword. “Urgh” I exclaim aloud while staring at the ugly gash across my hand. Right when I’m about to prop myself up with my other hand. Something fast falls past my face and lands with a dull thud in my literal lap. Luckily, I was wearing this coat I think to myself, as whatever fell on me kind of hurt.

 I look down, half expecting to see a flying pig resting in my lap to only be greeted. With the cracked outside of an egg. Inquisitively staring at it, I wonder aloud “What the?”

I grasp it in my palms and decide to bring it inside. Hurried are my footsteps as I traverse the wet and muddy ground. *stomp stomp stomp stomp*

 The door to the cabin flies opens as I throw my weight against it. Soaking wet I drip all over the cabin floor as I stand inside. Shivering but still holding the egg in my hands, I began to visually inspect it.

Besides one long jagged crack down the center, the egg has a creamy unblemished surface. I make my way over to the table where I set It down to study it closer…

“Wait till James sees this…” I say, awe evident on my face.

 

4