v1c5: Chains That Enslave Us
75 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a time of walking, Sa Juan and others eventually found themselves on the main street.

Trying to simmer down her anger, Sa Juan took a slow breath, lifting her gaze from this piece of shit of Sa Min who was front of her to the bustling street—the high buildings of tetra blessing city stood proudly, at least two stories high, their rooftops elaborately decorated with colorful tiles and intricate carvings.

Though it was empty of carriages, the cobbled street bustled more so than ever; countless people of all kinds came flocking towards the arena from every alley, all wearing colorful robes and decorated with talismans.

The dusty flagstone-paved ground was filled with old journals and wanted posters.

The noise of chatters and excited laughters sounded like a loud hum.

Today was no ordinary day. Was it not true that a member of Sa Clan was about to open his Legendary sea core? The anticipation was evident as everyone yearned to bear witness to this moment, a moment that hadn't happened in hundreds of years.

And then…

"Hey, guys! Look, ain't that Sa Min?" one exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's him! Look at his eyes, man! They're like two pools of ice. Chilling."

"Check out his expressionless face. Maybe those rumors about him killing a non-Wielder when he was just five are true... Maybe he's really a little devil."

"I've heard he got visions from Heaven in the form of Yantras..."

"Doesn't matter; he's still the descendant of a traitor…"

Voices filled with shock and awe and jealousy echoed around Sa Juan as people began to recognize that evil shit, Sa Min. Each praising word she heard felt like a needle stabbing her heart, making it harder and harder for her to breathe.

As though enjoying the attention, Sa Min moved forward with a leisurely walk, flanked by five gerd, leading the crowds to clear his path.

He looked like he owned the place.

Sa Juan put her hands over her ears, wanted to scream, hard and loud, to demand attention, to implore: Look at me! I am here too; please look at me!

Yet her rapid, labored breaths stifled her throat.

This is unfair. This is unfair, Sa Juan whispered to herself, trying to subdue her tempestuous emotions, knowing that if she were to collapse onto the ground, people would trample over her and follow that worthless devil.

Please Heaven, please please, people don't know that he is evil. I know, I know very well. Sa Min screamed within her heart. Please don't give him the legendary sea core, he doesn't deserve it…I do, I deserve it, I truly do…

Glancing around and seeing the many eyes on him, watching and admiring, Sa Min felt nothing. His expression remained as it had been, indifferent.

The loud praises and the envious whispers couldn't reach his stone-cold heart, let alone touch it. He would be damn stupid if it did. Who, besides stupids, feels joy or pain from the words of others?

There are few things I have found enjoyment in during my life, Sa Min scoffed within his heart. but seeking others' attention has never been among them, even in my stupid days.

What if they see you handsome or ugly, strong or weak, righteous or evil, rich or poor—so what? What significant do their opinions hold besides restricting your already restricted freedom?

People in this world try to make themselves forget the real truth. Why are they here? Who put them here and why? People try to distract themselves with,... useless purposes, people's admiration, people's attention, friendship, love, cultivation, family, because they don't have the courage to question their reality.

They don't want to see that their family, their love, their emotions, people around them, and everything, literally everything are merely chains that enslave them to a certain path. They surrender to their chains because they are weak. In this world, how can I be attached to them and I know that they are only going to distract me from my purpose?


It didn't take long before Sa Min and his five guards arrived at the main courtyard— Sa Juan was likely behind somewhere… If she hadn't gone missing in the crowd.

Calmly, Sa Min looked around, disregarding the many curious onlookers and their noises.

The main courtyard sprawled before him, a spacious space where members of the sa clan trained their Yantras and cultivated. At its heart stood a large six-story pagoda, serving as the residence of the patriarch and a gathering place for the Clan's elders.

Beside the pagoda was a circular, medium-sized arena; a huge black canopy was above it, floating, shielding it from the sunlight.

"Young man," said the guard that was leading the way as they reached the arena. "I know you're excited to take your seat and stuff, but first, you must go to the elder Sa Yu Guo so he can check your force gate." He stopped, turning his head and offering Sa Min a smile. "Don't sweat it—I'll show you the way." And then he stepped in.

Sa Min merely nodded, his face showing no excitement whatsoever, as he followed suit.

Inside the shaded arena, the stands were divided into three sections. The largest one was designated for the watchers; their seats weren't full yet as they still continued to stream in. While the areas designated for participants and elders looked much smaller and were already filled.

The boisterous noise of the crowds' conversations suddenly subsided as they noticed Sa Min' presence. For a moment, the place fell into a hush, then the clamor returned, louder and filled with excitement.

As though they didn't exist, Sa Min continued on walking, his unflinching eyes fixed on the elder's area.

On the upper stairs of the stands was a slender, middle-aged man, wearing a black robe, a red lotus embroidered on the right side of its chest.

In the Xi Empire, only those who broke into the bottom realm and awakened their Ba had the honor of wearing this clothing.

In the world of cultivation, there were 10 ranks that were divided into four realms. From 10 to 8, considered the bottom realm, and from 7 to 5 were the middle realm.

The rank 7 middle-aged man sat away from the rest of the elders, surrounded by two finely dressed women. One of them had eyes that had an unusual color.

The patriarch, Sa Min thought to himself, witnessing the man as he boldly grabbed one of the ladies' asses and, without shame, smelled it and smiled. The womanizer patriarch...maybe the rumors have some truth after all.

Sa Min had of course come across rumors and stories about the Sa Clan's patriarch and his habit. Seemed the skinny man had an unnatural urge and supposedly needed to ride a woman every hour, or else he would go mad. Though people exaggerated, it seemed there's some truth in it.

Not that Sa Min had any problem with that.

Upon reaching the high yellow arena floor, Sa Min saw an old man sitting on a rickety chair on the edge of the stage, impatiently tapping his foot.

Even from a distance, Sa Min could see the man's wrinkled face, scowling.

Sa Min knew him. It was Elder Sa Yu Guo, the head of the sa clan's guards and also and also the teacher of sa clan's member.

Not just anyone could enter the Inner Circle of the Cultivation Academy. In fact, most couldn't even afford to make it into the outer circle. But unlike the three clans' members, those without access to the inner circle had only themselves to rely on in cultivation.

Without the academy's support, there would be no much mission, little rewards, scant resources, expensive materials.

Cultivation was extremely hard without the help of the xi empire.

But at least in the major three clans—big families as well—ka wielders could still manage to cultivate just fine. There were enough resources. There were teachers, and so on. Members who entered the academy would come occasionally to teach them something. There were also libraries with Yantra manuals.

Though they couldn't even come close to the cultivation academy that was funded by the great Xi Empire, they were still better than nothing.

This was one of the clan's advantages.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the arrogant Sa Min!" chuckled Elder Sa Yu Guo, his deep voice sounding as if he wished to hit him. "You were walking on eggs or something? The participants have arrived a long time ago."

As Sa Min smiled and stepped onto the stage, the wooden boards groaned and complained beneath his leather boots. "Elder," he offered a convincing greeting, bowing formally with two fists pressed together, "I apologize for being late. The crowd is—".

"Tut, always making excuses."

Then, the guard in the side swallowed loudly and stepped forward. "Please forgive him, Elder," he said, head down. "The fault is mine. I'm the one who was leading him."

Elder Sa Yu Guo gazed into both of their eyes with his small, beady eyes before sighing heavily, dismissing the guard with a wave of his hand and addressing Sa Min, "Alright, alright, get over here!" he grumbled. "And take off that filthy robe—let's see first if your force gate has formed."

Complying silently, Sa Min slipped off his normal belt and black robe, standing bare-chested before the crowd. He felt the elder's calloused and cold fingers checking the black round point on his stomach area, just atop the navel.

The elder recorded something in his book. "So, the force gate is established," he said, a hint of satisfaction in his voice. "But remember, boy, talent is merely legs; you still have to climb the mountain yourself. Now, get to your place." He gestured with his head toward the participants' area. "And await your turn... You happen to be the last one to—"

"I'm- I'm still here…please…" Before the elder could finish his words, a desperate cry pierced the space, interrupting him.

Sa Juan, disheveled and drenched in sweat, stumbled into view, tears streaming down her sorrowful face.

Sa Min's eyes widened. Not at the sight of Sa Juan. Something happened in his body. A sudden, searing sensation that seeped into his very bones. It felt as though an invisible hand was chiseling away at his flesh, etching an indelible mark on his back.

It's so painful that one would fall to the ground screaming.

But Sa Min's face was blank, showing no sign of it. In the Pit, he'd learned to suffer worse, much worse without making an ugh of sound.

"What the hell is going on?" Sa Min thought, ignoring the fierce itching that felt like it would ruin his mind and swiftly putting his robe back and tightening his belt. He gave the elder a quick bow and, as if nothing were happening to him, retreated toward the participants' area, his thoughts racing.

There, a group of youth awaited their inevitable moment, around 70. Most of the men, if not all of them, were bare-chested, showing their muscles. While most young women beautified themselves in elegant dresses.

All their gazes silently followed Sa Min as one as he picked his way through with calm steps.

"Hey, Sa Min. Welcome back." Sa Wen stood up, his chest filled with hair. "I knew the clan wouldn't let someone with your talent away," he said, genuine joy lighting up his face.

Sa Min forced a smile through pain. "Thank you, appreciate it, brother Sa Wen."

Ever since they had fought off those bandits together in an outer circle mission, Sa Wen had been constantly asking him to join him. The man seemed obsessed with battling bandits and seeking justice.

Sa Min continued his walk and approached a seat at the far edge, having the perfect view for both the stage and elders' area. Someone had already sat there— a young woman. But that wasn't a problem, was it?

"Out of the fucking seat," he coldly said, paying no mind to Sa Wen or anyone else; instead, he squinted aside towards the near elders' area.

The elders sat there, some of them elderly, some still young, laughing and conversing with each other. Some cast their gaze towards him, Sa Huiqing among those. But Sa Min couldn't hear a thing, as though a shroud of silence enveloped them.

Some concealing Yantra must be in work, preventing others from hearing their voices. Sa Min sighed, before turning his head to the dumbfounded young woman.

The young woman simply stared up, open-mouthed, "What?.."

"Pleease," added Sa Min, offering what he thought was a gentle smile. It only made him look more scary.

The young lady swallowed aloud at his glare, then quickly stood up and walked away.

As he made himself comfortable in his seat, Sa Min looked over his shoulder. The pain had stopped, and he had this urge to check what the hell just happened to his back. But Sa Min knew that there might be Kas recording around, and that would only lead him to unnecessary troubles.

Those who hastened, had died…I'll check it out as soon as I get home. Sa Min thought, turning his head towards Sa Juan who had just arrived, searching for a seat.

Sa Min gave her a faint smile before turning back to look at the elders, to see if he could make out something from their mouths.

If something unexpected went down and he couldn't make it into the inner circle of the cultivation academy, he'd just stick with the clan for his cultivation needs. That's why he's curious about the elders. He had to figure out how things worked in the clan, so he could know how to go.

But if I actually got into the inner circle, the clan would be useless to him. In fact it will only be a burden. In this case I'll find a way to ditch it.

"Playtime's over, kids. Listen up." Suddenly, the voice of the elder Sa Yu Guo boomed out from the stage across the arena, capturing everyone's attention. "Eyes front before I plow them out of your skulls."

3