Chapter 99: No Discord, No Concord
415 0 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seastone handcuffs did not affect people like Zephyr or Tashigi who had not consumed Devil Fruit. For them, it was just an ordinary but slightly heavier pair of handcuffs. However, for Devil Fruit users, these handcuffs were lethal. Not only did they prevent the user from using their Devil Fruit powers, but they also left them completely enervated.

Vivi looked around. The ground still bore the marks of the clash between 'Ikoku' and 'Hakai' even after Ace's barrage of attacks. Was this really the aftermath of someone who was completely weakened?

Yamato answered frankly, without any pretense: "Kaidou put these handcuffs on me when I was only eight years old. Over the years, I've gotten used to them. Besides, the Seastone in these handcuffs is not of high purity. It doesn't make me completely powerless."

Vivi thought for a moment and then asked, "May I touch them?"

Yamato held out her right hand. Vivi touched it for less than five seconds before she felt her body go limp on one side.

Luckily, she was mentally prepared, otherwise she would have collapsed on the spot.

Vivi gave Ace a look and suggested that he should try to touch the handcuffs as well. However, Ace shook his head vigorously. He was a man, if he could withstand the effect, it would be fine, but if he couldn't and collapsed in the end, it would be a blow to his pride!

Yamato said fairly, "I couldn't handle it either at first, but gradually I got used to it."

Vivi found it hard to imagine someone fighting with her while wearing such handcuffs. She lacked the mindset of a warrior, but at this moment, she was deeply impressed by Yamato's resilience. It wasn't just physical strength; it was also the strength of the spirit.

If she were in such a state of weakness day in and day out, she would have no desire to move, let alone fight. However, Yamato managed to train herself under such conditions. That kind of willpower and indomitable spirit was truly admirable!

Vivi asked a seemingly naive question, "Can't the handcuffs be removed?"

Yamato's expression became somber, "My father, Kaidou, said there's a bomb in the handcuffs. If I leave Onigashima, they will explode."

Ace was furious, "Your father is really despicable, treating his own daughter like that."

Yamato pointed out, "Son! Even if I am not Kozuki Oden, I am still Kaidou's son."

Ace looked at Vivi oddly, as if he wanted to know if the girl in front of them was normal or not. You're a doctor, right? Can you tell if this condition is still curable?

Vivi didn't dwell on the matter of son or daughter. It's just a title!

If Yamato considered herself a man, then treat her like a 'pure man.'

She asked the real question, "The handcuffs can be unlocked, right? Where's the key?"

Yamato's answer made Vivi shrink back a bit, "The key is with my father, but I don't know where he keeps it. It might not even be on Onigashima. Maybe only by asking him would we know the answer."

Vivi felt overwhelmed. Should she use hypnosis to suggest Kaidou to hand over the key? Or should she beat Kaidou up and then force the location of the key out of him? Both options flashed through her mind, but neither seemed feasible...

She had thought of enticing Yamato away. This girl undoubtedly had the combat power of an Emperor's right-hand man. The thought of taking her to fight Crocodile painted a beautiful picture in her mind! Yamato could also be a future ally against the World Government and Imu. However, the presence of the explosive handcuffs brought her plans to an abrupt halt.

"That's it! I have an idea!" Vivi suddenly thought of something and couldn't help but punch her right fist into her left palm.

She didn't know much about the plot of Wano Country, but she was well aware of the earlier storylines and the abilities of many characters.

"There's no need to obsess over this key. There are so many Devil Fruit abilities out there. We can make another key. I know a guy who has the Doru Doru no Mi (Wax-Wax Fruit.) This guy is practically a candle man. He has the ability to shape liquid wax that becomes as hard as steel once it solidifies. He could easily make you a new key with his ability."

"Oh? That would be great!" As the son of Gol D. Roger, Ace was able to empathize with Yamato, as they both had unreliable fathers.

He continued, "Where can we find this candle man?"

"He is in the first half of the Grand Line, in my homeland, Arabasta. He's joined a bounty hunter organization and goes by the code name Mr. 3."

Vivi added confidently, "I will capture him. Once I do, I'll bring him to Onigashima to free Yamato."

"Little Bat, thank you." Not knowing her real name, Yamato used a nickname, but her tone was sincere.

Vivi replied cheerfully, "Don't mention it, Big Wolf Dog."

Ace: "..."

For a moment, he felt somewhat superfluous in this conversation.

Vivi looked seriously at Yamato. "As soon as the handcuffs are off, let's have another fight."

Facing the likes of Tashigi, Ain, Binz, and even Ace, the son of the Pirate King, Vivi had always felt that her strength was at the top among her peers.

Yamato was the only one she felt significantly inferior to.

Whether it was the animosity caused by their Devil Fruits, or maintaining her own beliefs with Conqueror's Haki, she had to fight Yamato again!

Yamato's response was also full of fighting spirit, "All right, I promise you. As long as I don't die, we'll fight again."

Mr. 3 had no idea that he had become the target of someone's kidnapping. 

In fact, the hard part wasn't capturing him and transporting him to the New World. The challenge was how to stealthily land on the island again.

This time, it was Golden Lion who lured Kaidou and his top crew members away. What about next time? Vivi couldn't think of a good plan for a while. She would have to improvise.

She could only come to the rescue when Kaidou was not at home.

"Do not overthink it! When the time comes, I'm sure there will be a way. By the way, do you want to join my crew? I am the man who will become the fourth Emperor!" Ace extended an invitation to Vivi to join him.

"Don't be silly. How could I become a pirate? Tomoe Gozen is just my alias Wano Country. My real name is Nefertari Vivi."

Vivi was serious about recruiting Yamato, this Emperor's right hand-level strength, to her cause! Thus, the revelation of her true identity was a must.

"Oh, a princess of a vast kingdom? A future king? No wonder! I knew you weren't just anybody. And you kept using that doctor's identity to fool me. How could you possibly be a doctor!"

Ace showed a look of sudden realization. Yamato was Kaidou's "son", and he himself was the son of the Pirate King. Possessing the Conqueror's Haki was a natural talent for them, but it would be very odd for just any random girl to possess it. To him, Vivi's status as a princess made her possession of Conqueror's Haki more reasonable.

Vivi then talked about the internal strife in Arabasta and the hostility of the World Government.

However, she didn't mention Crocodile's conspiracy. In her narrative, Crocodile was still a hero fighting against pirates, something that elicited a round of mockery from Ace.

(End of the Chapter)

23