Chapter – 11 A Tragedy that defied soothing [End of First Arc Part – 1]
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How did you know?" Samira asked, mildly impressed.

"I took a guess; she mentioned a herb given to her by someone, and if I remember correctly, you were the last person to talk to her."

Samira sighed. "She is a brilliant woman, but that was careless of her, and you are observant. With right guidance you can be,"

She looked thoughtful for a moment and then nodded to herself. "We leave at dawn. Be ready by the stables; I will meet you there."

I went back to my room. A few hours hence, I saw Mihai reentering our room and searching for something. He exclaimed, "Aha!" as he extracted a phial of verdant elixir brewed for hedonistic endeavors.

"With this," he declared, grinning, "we are absolved from grappling with inadvertent consequences and tarnished reputations."

He looked at me and smiled sheepishly. "You can have the room to yourself tonight. I take it you are leaving tomorrow, am I right?"

"I am."

"Where are you planning on going?"

"Around"

"I have been lost once; those fretful days were dreary. If you would like, you can come with me."

It was a genuine offer from a man who had seen the emptiest of days. Unfortunately, there was another offer that I had already considered—a benediction that still vexes me to this day.

"I already have something on my mind. Thank you for the offer though, it was kind of you."

"Oh I understand, your decorum is preventing you from giving an honest answer."

"Excuse me?"

"I understand, truly. You don't want to learn the art of testing the water of propriety. You don't to become woe of the husbands and wives."

He shook his head in disappointment ."Such a shame you are not of liberal mindedness. There is a lot of potential,"

He lowered his face into his hands to feign melancholy.

I let out a sigh and said. "You are a strange man. I fret for your safety if this is how you act day and night."

He put on a thoughtful disposition. "I am not sure about the days, but at nights my witty tongue had found its way to pleasant situations,"

I let out an irritated groan. "I don't to want to learn of your escapades in starlit hours,"

He looked at me in amazement. "Chaste and pure!" He exclaimed. "You are quite a catch for a lot of self important sahebs."

I let out a weary sigh. "Go on and rut, you arse."

"Oh, you're such an easy person to incite, " He grinned and then let out a girlish giggle. "Oh I love annoying people, it is so gratifying and addictive."

Noticing my annoyance he added, "Oh, do not pout, I will leave you alone, for pleasure calls to me."

He threw the vial in his sack and said, "I will see you tomorrow with content blush and heavier purse,"

He put on a solemn disposition: "May you relish intellectual solitude in peace."

He took a few steps, stopped, and turned. 'You can use our wide berth for your...' he paused, cupping his mouth to whisper, '...for your amorous pursuits. Just make sure they are in proper condition. Try not to-,'"

"Thank you!" I cut him off. "Perhaps my cheeks would fair better without wine to confuse my intellect."

"A cautious rake." He said, bowing his head. "You have my respect. Make sure to think about my offer and do not leave stains in the be-"

"For God's sake, just go."

Wjem he left, I lay in bed and thought of all that had transpired that day and all that may transpire iin future. No longer will I feel the presence of somber cold, no longer will I experience unsteadiness in my heart blacken my spirit.

I truly believed, for the first time, that freedom was within my reach.

I did not let sleep consume me and did not want the day to end, so I grabbed my sarod, sat by the window, and played.

The melody gilded the air, strings working together, praying to save me from the noon I cannot see, from a glare that could leave my heart arid. Yet, hope knitted me a sheet to shield me from that baleful gaze. And with the renewed hope the music ceased.

I followed as sleep beckoned me, to be lost in its comforting embrace. Thus, the night preceding the reckoning of my actions unfolded: alone in a warm bed, comforted by the prospect of a bright future, unaware and unprepared for fate's cruel intentions, which would soon teach me the true essence of sorrow.

*****

As morning arrived in Gulabpur, rosy edifices assumed a gayer disposition as dawn dressed them in a shinier gown, a consolation from the cold acts of an illiberal night.

As I indulged in leave-taking I found Mihai sneaking away from a lady's room, his red hair a mess, a bite had marred his neck.

"She is an animal!" he cried out. "I know Southern women are beautiful and adventurous, but that took on a whole new meaning last night."

"I am sorry to hear that," I said, continuing on my way. "Wait! Are you leaving?"

"Yes,"

"Did you think about the offer?"

"Not really,"

"You are a bit meanspirited aren't you,"

"Thank you for the offer," I said, completely meaning it, "but I have a purpose, and I am going to fulfill it."

I proceeded to leave but stopped and said. "I hope no harm comes to you"

"Where is the fun in that?" He said, giving me his cocky smile.

Samira waited for me in the stables, as promised; I've come to meet her on time.

She looked beautiful in the light of dawn. Even now, I am amazed by the level of precision women exhibit in enhancing their beauty. There is undoubtedly a matter of social imposition, which cannot be denied, but one has to acknowledge the artistry in it all.

Looking at her, I stood there, baffled, and if she allowed my baffled self to linger as it was, It would have been caught in her shine and absconded like a crystal tear in winter dawn.

"Why are you standing there all frozen?"

"I was wondering why you're so beautiful."

In a softened tone, she spoke my name. "Indra,"

"I am sorry. I know what you want; I just... I will get over it. You've done so much for me, and I am being so silly. I am sorry"

In a softened tone, she declared herself not at all offended, but I kept on apologizing.

There was silence between us once more and like all such silences it was meant to be broken.

I bid the tribal matriarch who shown me great hospitality a goodbye, bought gifts for my sisters as Samira hired a ride back to the city.

The silence persisted, like a cruel summer that overstayed its welcome, until once again, like silences that occurred at later encounters, it was broken by her—a much-awaited snow fall, an anomaly, for it always cleansed the fire within with gentle warmth.

"Do you know who's the greatest lover?" She asked.

"What?" I asked, feeling confused.

"The greatest lover in the world was a poet called manmada. He told seven lies to his lover that made her fall in love"

"If he lies how can she love him? Does she not know?"

"She knows."

"Then why?"

"He shared with her the perfect truth, he promised to transform every falsehood into a reality."

"Does that mean he is not a liar?"

"He remains a liar, as he never converted the seventh lie into truth."

"What is this seventh lie?"

"He avowed not to burn for her, yet indeed, he did but not with any regrets."

"Master," I began, reluctantly. "Did you ever tell someone such a lie?"

She didn't answer the question, and in good judgment, I refrained from prying. I didn't want her to perceive me as a boy unaware of boundaries.

"How will you explain it to your family?" She asked, minutes later.

"I would only tell my sister."

"I don't want your family to know of this plan in detail, just tell her that they will have a better life and your winnings could support them"

"As you say master,"

I believed in a willful self-deception that everything would be fine, and my abandonment would not yield unforeseen fruition. Yet, my own imagination had its limitations, for one could never fathom the unfolding cacophony of bloodlust and carrion cries.

Hours later, we reached the city and went straight away to Samira's. I changed my clothes and assumed an unassuming apparel and had washed away the tattoo that concealed my shameful mien.

"It will be a month before we leave." Samira said, smiling tenderly as she offered an extended contract. "Come and see me as usual. You still have much to learn,"

"Thank you, master," I turned to leave, but was stopped by a question, "Why did you ask me that if I ever lied?"

"Master," I began. "No man can ever lie about never loving you, So I wondered if you are the liar, for you always seemed distant as if longing for someone."

Samira laughed heartily. "Oh, you're a romantic at heart, aren't you? Unfortunately I am a cold person," she sighed, 'If a girl ever falls in love with you, always be truthful. Never lie, never hide the truth. Just tell her how you feel"

"I do not think you are a cold person. You fulfilled my dream, if not for others, to me atleast, you are the kindest,"

She faced away and whispered something that only she could hear. I waited if she had anything else to say, and took silence remained as my answer and took my leave.

0