Chapter Five [Toucan]
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, do you remember what happened?" I asked, changing the subject. I'm quite the expert at that, I might add. Monkey's face went vacant, like he was concentrating on the traumatic experience. "No," he said slowly. "Just bits and pieces. Flying- red wings- the smell of burning scales- the pain, of course..." Liana and I both winced.

"So it was a SkyWing?" The voice I was hearing a lot lately asked. I jumped, immediately putting the flips in my stomach down to surprise. I hadn't realized she was there. I whipped my head around and stared at her, wondering how she could be so silent, and realized that I probably hadn't imagined the silver scale on the flight here. Was she following me or something? Creep.

"Or a red flamesilk," offered Liana, to my surprise. I nodded slowly. It was a good theory, and I was surprised I hadn't thought of it myself. I felt slightly guilty about assuming she was dumb like other RainWings. Although she had done some dumb things. Curious. From the look on her face, she just wanted us to find out so she could kill them. Get in line, I thought wryly.

"SilkWings aren't really violent, though," Staryl mused, then grinned at me, which felt very very weird. "Then again, RainWings aren't either, and look at our little bundle of fury over here." I liked hearing her say our too much. I tried to glare at her, but I could feel the pink blossoming on my wings. I folded them with a growl. What was wrong with me? She had tried to kill me!

I just felt more friendly towards her because she had saved Monkey's life. And probably mine too. Still didn't make up for it. It didn't.

"You're probably right, though," I realized. "And I don't think there are any red flamesilks right now, though there could be one we don't know about." Ugh. I hated admitting that Staryl was right about something. I glared out the window. A large toucan landed there and cocked it's head at me, like, Go ahead. Try me. Or maybe that was just what I was thinking. 

I was tempted to grab the toucan and shove it in my mouth (I hadn't eaten yet today), but that would probably gross out the RainWings. I glanced at Staryl, cursed myself for it, and decided that I needed to get out of here. "Have you eaten?" I asked Monkey. He shook his head. "I'll grab you something to eat," I promised, flinging myself out the window. The toucan flew away.

For it's own good, I hoped it wouldn't be back.

0