Chapter 49: Marquis of Astorga
84 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Osorio Astorga stepped out of the grand hall, his son, Rodrigo, was waiting for him in the dimly lit corridor. Rodrigo's eyes gleamed with curiosity as he eagerly awaited news of the meeting.

"Father, what transpired in the council chamber? Why such a tense atmosphere?" Rodrigo inquired, his voice laced with anticipation.

Osorio Astorga paused, his expression grave, before speaking in a low, measured tone. "It was a contentious affair, my son. Marquis Orsini brought forth troubling allegations of a conspiracy against the Sraffa family."

Rodrigo's brow furrowed in confusion. "A conspiracy? But against whom, and for what purpose?"

Osorio sighed heavily before continuing. "It seems that certain nobles have been colluding to remove the Sraffa family from their ancestral land. Marquis Alventos was implicated in this scheme."

The realization dawned on Rodrigo, his features contorting with anger. "Alventos? That conniving snake! What motive could he possibly have for targeting the Sraffa family?"

"Power, my son. Pure and simple," Osorio replied, his voice tinged with bitterness. "Alventos sees an opportunity to expand his influence by seizing control of Sraffa's territory."

Rodrigo clenched his fists, his resolve hardening. "Then we cannot stand idly by and allow such treachery to unfold. The Astorga faction must act swiftly to protect our interests and thwart Alventos' ambitions."

A steely glint flickered in Osorio's eyes as he nodded in agreement. "Indeed, Rodrigo. We must be vigilant and decisive in our actions. The time has come to assert our dominance and secure what is rightfully ours."

The heir of the Astorga family was puzzled by his father's sudden declaration.

Rodrigo's confusion lingered, evident in the furrow of his brow as he regarded his father with a mixture of concern and curiosity. "But Father, if we oppose Alventos' attempts to remove the Sraffa family, what do you propose we do with their land? Surely, we cannot allow it to fall into the hands of either Alventos or remain under the control of the weakened Sraffa line."

Osorio's gaze softened, a calculating gleam entering his eyes as he considered his son's question. "You raise a valid point, Rodrigo. Allowing Alventos to seize control of Sraffa's land would only strengthen his position and pose a threat to our own interests. However, simply maintaining the status quo is not an option either."

He paused, his mind racing with possibilities before finally voicing his idea. "What if we were to propose a different solution? What if we were to take control of Sraffa's land for ourselves?"

Rodrigo's eyes widened in surprise at his father's suggestion. "You mean... take over Sraffa's territory and incorporate it into our own holdings?"

Osorio nodded, a determined glint in his eyes. "Precisely. By doing so, we would not only prevent Alventos from gaining an advantage but also strengthen our own position within the Taragona kingdom. Sraffa's land is strategically valuable, and it would be a waste to let it languish under the incompetent rule of Piero Sraffa."

"But Father, would such a move not be seen as opportunistic and aggressive?" Rodrigo asked, voicing his concern.

Osorio placed a reassuring hand on his son's shoulder, his grip firm and reassuring. "It may be seen as such by some, but we cannot allow ourselves to be bound by the opinions of others. We must act decisively to protect our interests and ensure the prosperity and security of our faction."

Silence enveloped the pair as they went into deep thoughts.

Rodrigo broke the silence, "But how about the serfs living in the territory. There must villages there."

Osorio replied, "Each lord owns a territory. We lords can alienate our land to the serfs in return for we become their unquestionable owner.  The continent practices gavelkind in land among the peasants. The peasants divide their land held in tenure among their sons."

Rodrigo nodded thoughtfully, absorbing his father's explanation. "So, by granting the serfs ownership of the land they currently inhabit, we not only secure their loyalty but also establish ourselves as their benefactors and protectors. It's a shrewd move, Father."

Osorio smiled approvingly at his son's astute observation. "Exactly, Rodrigo. By empowering the serfs and aligning their interests with ours, we can solidify our hold on Sraffa's territory and ensure its continued productivity and stability."

"But what of Piero Sraffa and his family?" Rodrigo inquired, his brow furrowing with concern. "Surely they will not take kindly to being displaced from their ancestral lands."

Osorio's smile faded, replaced by a cold and calculating expression. "Piero Sraffa and his family have outlived their usefulness, Rodrigo. We cannot afford sentimentality to cloud our judgment."

Rodrigo's eyes widened in shock at his father's callousness, but he dared not question him further.

"We will offer them a choice," Osorio continued, his voice devoid of empathy. "They can either relinquish their claim to the land peacefully and accept a modest compensation, or they can face the consequences of defying us."

Rodrigo recoiled slightly, a pang of guilt gnawing at his conscience. "But Father, is it not unjust to force them from their home and livelihood?"

Osorio's gaze hardened, his tone icy. "Justice is a luxury we cannot afford, Rodrigo. In the game of power, one must be willing to make sacrifices. The Sraffa family's fate is sealed. It is simply a matter of whether they choose to accept their fate gracefully or suffer the consequences of defiance."

With a heavy heart, Rodrigo nodded in reluctant agreement, knowing that his father's ruthless determination brooked no opposition.

As they walked down the corridor, Rodrigo couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over him.

7