Chapter 52: Greenwood Village
97 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the villagers now settled in Piero's territory, he gathered his aides to discuss their next steps over a map spread out on a sturdy wooden table in Piero's study. Malida leaned over the map, tracing her finger along the proposed route for the long drain project.

"So, now that we have the manpower we need, we can finally make some real progress on the long drain project," Malida remarked, excitement evident in her voice.

Hiro nodded in agreement, his eyes alight with determination. "Indeed. With the additional labor force from the relocated villagers, we should be able to expedite the construction process significantly."

Matt, the chief of Eldham village chimed in, his expression thoughtful. "But we must ensure that the new villagers are properly accommodated during this time. We can't expect them to work tirelessly without providing for their basic needs."

Hiro nodded in agreement, his brow furrowed in concentration. "You're right. We'll need to prioritize the construction of wooden houses for the new arrivals. We can't have them living in makeshift shelters while they contribute to our community."

Malida glanced up from the map, a smile playing on her lips. "I'll take charge of overseeing the construction of the houses. I have some experience in architectural design, and I'm sure we can utilize the resources available to us efficiently."

Hiro nodded in approval, grateful for Malida's expertise. "That would be excellent. Meanwhile, I can focus on organizing the labor force for the drain project and ensuring that all necessary materials are procured in a timely manner."

Matt, the old man nodded in agreement, his gaze steady. "We'll need to sit down closely with the villagers and assign tasks accordingly. Not making mistakes will be key if we want to move faster."

He inquired, "Matt, how much have we completed?"

Matt, the chief of Eldham village, leaned back in his chair, his weathered face creased with lines of concern. "Lord Piero, we've made some progress, but there's still a long way to go. We've managed to dig about a quarter of the planned route for the long drain project, but we've encountered some challenges along the way."

Piero nodded, his expression grave. "What sort of challenges?"

Matt sighed heavily, his gaze drifting to the map on the table. "The terrain in some areas is proving to be more difficult to navigate than we initially anticipated. There are rocky patches and thick underbrush that slow down our progress. Plus, we've had some setbacks with equipment malfunctions and shortages of certain tools."

Hiro furrowed his brow, his mind already working on solutions. "We'll need to address these issues promptly if we want to keep to our timeline. Matt, I'll make sure to allocate additional resources to your team to overcome these obstacles. We can't afford any further delays."

Malida nodded in agreement, her expression determined. "And I'll coordinate with the villagers to ensure that they're properly equipped and motivated to tackle the challenges ahead. We'll need everyone working together if we want to succeed."

Matt smiled gratefully, his eyes twinkling with appreciation. "Thank you, My lord, my lady. Your support means a lot to us. With your leadership and guidance, I'm confident that we'll be able to overcome any obstacles that come our way."

The old man added a serious face, "With a doubled number of villagers, we are worried about food."

Mireille, the ranger, leaned forward, her expression thoughtful as she considered Matt's concerns about the food supply. "While the farms are still in progress, we'll need to find alternative sources of food to sustain the villagers in the meantime. Fortunately, the forest and the river offer plenty of resources that we can utilize."

Piero nodded in agreement, his mind already turning to the possibilities. "Indeed. Mireille, I'll task you with leading hunting and foraging expeditions into the forest. We can gather berries, nuts, and wild game to supplement our food stores."

Mireille nodded, her eyes gleaming with determination. "I'll also teach the villagers basic hunting and foraging skills so that they can contribute to the effort. With everyone pitching in, we should be able to gather enough food to tide us over until the farms start producing yields."

Malida chimed in, her expression thoughtful. "And let's not forget about the river. There should be plenty of fish that we can catch to add to our food supply."

As the discussion turned to the food supply, Piero's thoughts drifted to Alfio, the fisherman who had arrived in their territory over three months ago. He had proven to be a valuable asset, steadily collecting fish from the river to supplement the villagers' meals.

"Pardon me for interrupting," Hiro interjected, his voice thoughtful. "But let's not forget about Alfio, the fisherman who joined our community a few months back. He's been diligently collecting fish from the river to help sustain our laborers."

Malida's eyes brightened with recognition. "Ah, yes, Alfio. I remember him. He's been quite resourceful in ensuring that we have a steady supply of fish for our people. We should continue to support him in his efforts."

Hiro nodded in agreement, his expression grateful. "Absolutely. Alfio's contributions have not gone unnoticed. I'll make sure to provide him with any assistance he needs to continue his work effectively."

Matt smiled, a sense of relief evident in his features. "That's a relief to hear. With Alfio's help and Mireille leading hunting and foraging expeditions, I'm confident that we'll be able to keep our people fed until the farms start producing yields."

Mireille nodded, her expression determined. "Together, we'll make sure that no one in our community goes hungry. We'll utilize every available resource to ensure that everyone has enough to eat."

Hiro's brow furrowed with concern as he contemplated the fate of the new villagers who had been relocated from Margrave Ramirez Bornos' territory. "I can't help but worry about the repercussions of our actions. What if Margrave Bornos discovers what we've done and seeks retribution against our people?"

Malida placed a reassuring hand on Hiro's shoulder, her expression calm and composed. "Lord Piero, you need not worry. My men and I have taken every precaution to ensure that our tracks remain hidden. We left no trace of our involvement in the relocation of the villagers."

Hiro nodded in agreement, a sense of relief washing over him. "Indeed. Malida is right. We were careful to cover our tracks and maintain secrecy throughout the entire operation. Margrave Bornos will have no reason to suspect our involvement."

Piero's expression softened, gratitude shining in his eyes. "Thank you, all of you, for your unwavering support and dedication to our cause. With allies like you by my side, I am confident that we can overcome any challenge that comes our way."

With their concerns addressed and their resolve strengthened, the group turned their attention back to the tasks at hand, ready to continue building a better future for the expanded community.

As the discussion shifted, Piero's thoughts turned to the over 200 new villagers who had settled in Sraffa's territory. "It's remarkable how quickly they've established themselves," he remarked, a sense of admiration evident in his voice

Malida nodded in agreement. "Indeed. Their resilience and determination are truly commendable. It's no small feat to build a new village from scratch, especially under such challenging circumstances."

Hiro chimed in, his expression thoughtful. "And it's heartening to hear that they've already nominated a village chief to lead them. Strong leadership will be essential for their community to thrive in the days ahead."

As the discussion continued, Malida shared some details about the new village and its chief. "The new village has been named Greenwood, reflecting the lush forests that surround it," she explained, tracing a finger over the map to indicate its location.

"The village chief, appointed by the villagers themselves, is a middle aged man," Malida continued, her voice filled with respect. "He's known for his wisdom, compassion, and strong sense of leadership. I've had the chance to speak with him, and I believe he's well-equipped to guide Greenwood through the challenges ahead."

Hiro nodded in approval. "Oh, I've yet to meet him. It's crucial to have someone like him at the helm, especially during these early stages of development. With his leadership and the support of the villagers, Greenwood is sure to flourish."

Matt smiled, a sense of optimism filling the room. "It's heartening to see our community expanding and thriving. With Greenwood under his guidance, I have no doubt that it will become a beacon of hope and prosperity in our territory."

Hiro's gaze softened with pride as he looked over the map, envisioning the bright future that lay ahead for his territory.

7