Chapter 4: Mari and Manor
493 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Descending the grand staircase, Hiro found himself in a spacious hall divided into two distinct areas by an elegant partition. To the left, antique sofas and a finely adorned tea table hinted at a space reserved for aristocratic guests. On the right, luxurious mats and a cozy atmosphere suggested a more family-oriented setting. A door at the far end led further into the medieval manor.

As Hiro ventured deeper, he discovered a grand dining room adorned with a long table flanked by ten chairs on each side. It was a room designed for gatherings and feasts. A second door, concealed behind the dining table, hinted at what might be a well-equipped kitchen.

His attention was soon drawn to a plate on the dining table, bearing two succulent-looking steaks, accompanied by a teapot and a cup. An unfamiliar yet enticing aroma wafted from the food.

"Young master, you're up early today," a warm voice called out.

Turning towards the source, Hiro was met by the sight of an older woman, Mari, who appeared to be in her late fifties. Hiro's new memories quickly informed him that she was the wife of Jacob Sraffa, the loyal butler who had tragically perished in the recent war alongside Hiro's father, Maestro Sraffa.

"Master Piero..." Mari said, her tone filled with anticipation.

Since he took a bath, Hiro started to remember things. Hiro of course remembered memory from when he was in his old body. The body he was in now actually had its own memory. That memory gradually reconciled with Hiro's own memory.

It seemed that Hiro's consciousness was transmigrated into this body of a 21 year old Caucasian looking man. 

This body belonged to the third son of a Baronet  noble family, with the name, Piero. Piero became an heir after his two brothers were killed in two separate wars. The father, Maestro Sraffa was killed in a war last week, which made Piero the new Baronet and lord of this poor territory.

Baronet was the lowest rank among nobility in this continent. 

Piero’s memory answered Hiro's questions one by one, it was unnecessary to filter and read through them, it was as if they had always been Hiro's own experiences. Hiro was momentarily confused, there was absolutely no way a dream could have so many details. 

Then, Hiro thought, was it possible that this wasn’t a dream? 

"I’ve really traveled through time, to the dark ages of medieval Europe, and have become Piero? I’ve gone from a pitiful salaryman with his nose down in his papers to an aristocrat?"

This piece of territory that looked so barren and backward was in the Kingdom of Taragona, a name that he had never seen in his history books.

"Well, then how do I want to handle this?" Hiro thought to himself.

Hiro decided he would try and examine how an unscientific thing like being transported through time and space had happened later, his immediate concern was with how to deal with the old main in front of him.

"Sorry, Mari. I am hungry. Can I eat now?"

Mari looked really shocked at his polite demeanor.

He sat down and started remembering Piero's original behaviour.

Piero was rude and lazy. Hiro regretted that his polite behaviour was totally out of character and might have freaked out the old woman. 

"Un.. understood, master Piero. I will go out to do some gardening." She rushed out. 

Hiro sighed. He never thought that this Piero brat was that pathetic and useless. Using fork and knife, he cut the cooked mutton and put it into his mouth.

"Hm. Damn delicious!"

As Hiro savored the succulent steak, he couldn't help but appreciate the culinary skills of Mari, the family's loyal cook. It was a stark contrast to the simple meals he was used to as a salaryman. The flavors danced on his taste buds, and for a moment, he forgot about the perplexing situation he found himself in.

After finishing his meal, Hiro decided to explore the medieval manor further. He left the grand dining room and made his way through the concealed door behind the dining table, which led to a well-equipped kitchen. It was a place filled with antique but functional cooking tools and an impressive array of ingredients. Hiro marveled at the thought of the feasts that must have been prepared here in the past.

As he continued his exploration, Hiro encountered Mari who was still uncomfortable by his polite and respectful demeanor, which was entirely unlike the Piero she knew. He quickly realized that Piero's reputation as a rude and lazy noble had preceded him.

Hiro's thoughts were interrupted when he stumbled upon a library filled with dusty old books. His curiosity got the better of him, and he decided to peruse the shelves. The books contained a wealth of knowledge about the history of the Kingdom of Taragona, its politics, and its noble families. Hiro realized that if he were to navigate this new world successfully, he needed to immerse himself in its history and customs.

12