Remnants of the Great War [28]
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PARAGON

Remnants of the Great War Arc [28]

Chapter 37 : The Electric Plate


Land of Rota - East of the Town of Rota

Ash leaped back as Aegislash’s blade cut through the air where he’d been standing half a second ago. Even though it hadn’t hit him, he heard a high-pitched ring as it swept beneath his chin. Even with Gengar’s assistance, it felt like every attack the sword leveled at him could be his last, and the feeling of relief that washed over him every time he realized he was somehow still alive could not be savored. Ash ducked and jumped to avoid every thrust and slash, employing acrobatics he didn’t even know he possessed till now. Clearly training with Lucario, and all the time he’d spent monkeying around as a kid, had paid off, if only just. 

Unfortunately, Pikachu and Annihilape weren’t faring much better. While their trainer soaked up the brunt of Aegislash’s attention, they still could not land a single counterattack of their own. Every time they fired one off, or approached for a melee hit, a purple shield of hexagonal tiles glimmered into existence between them, and a wanton strike from Annihilape had told them that contact with the shield would sap their strength. 

Shit, I need to get it off me, or this thing will eventually kill me! Ash thought as he dived behind a fallen tree trunk, cleaved from its stump by Aegislash. Its single eye burned with a stalwart fury, and Ash grit his teeth as he rolled to dodge another slice, before getting back on his feet. He saw Pikachu and Annihilape both charge the sword from behind, but a twin set of King’s Shields kept them at bay. 

Gengar, tell them to attack from above! When it defends, I’ll hit it from below!

Gengar hissed in his mind. This was a form of nonverbal communication, but it was slower than genuine telepathy like Sabrina had with her pokémon, or like he and Riley had with their respective Lucarios. But against such an aggressive menace, Ash would use any slim advantage he could get. 

A moment later, Pikachu and Annihilape both leaped. An Electro Ball sizzled into existence on Pikachu’s tail, and shadows rippled across Annihilape’s fist for a Rage Fist. Without even giving them a glance, two shields, meshed together to perfectly counter the exact angles its two assailants were coming from, appeared above Aegislash, leaving its blade body wide open. 

As Aegislash thrust forward, Ash sidestepped, electricity dancing in his palm. Got you! The ions under Ash’s control flooded Aegislash, and it suddenly jerked toward him, as if pulled by an invisible force. 

For the first time since the battle had begun, Aegislash released a confused rumble, and a half second later, the shields above its head vanished, before rebuilding around its entire form, encasing it in a perfect sphere. It finally broke off its assault and leapt back away from Ash and his pokémon. Now still again, the shield glittered away. 

Ash wiped the sweat from his forehead and grinned, panting. He’d used Aegislash’s steel against itself to pull it toward himself and knock it off balance. That last technique was something like a hostile version of Magnet Rise, and aside from their main technique, it was what Ash had devoted much of the past month toward perfecting.

Honestly, although it was intended for steel-types, it was actually a two-part technique. The magnetic attraction was only half of it. In theory, Ash was supposed to follow it up with a proper electric attack, but against Aegislash, he hadn’t even bothered attempting it. This time, the goal was just to surprise it. Luckily, it’d opted for defense, ceasing its assault and retreating, even Ash had barely managed to yank it an inch. It was risky, but Ash had counted on Aegislash freaking out at suddenly getting pulled by a force that didn’t come from Pikachu or Annihilape. 

Pikachu and Annihilape landed on either side of Ash, poised to continue to fight. Aegislash watched them all silently, seemingly now wary of Ash. 

As Ash watched the sword in turn, it definitely seemed to be confused at Ash’s ability, as if it hadn’t expected them. A pokémon this old and strong could only belong to AZ, but it seemed like the giant hadn’t availed his partner to Ash’s powers. At that realization, Ash raised his fists defensively . 

That means he has so much faith in Aegislash’s strength that he didn’t even feel the need to bother telling it. 

Nevertheless, Ash grinned. “Underestimate me at your own peril,” he muttered, and his pokémon nodded in agreement beside him. 

Aegislash tilted, and a moment later, Ash could see why. Or rather, he heard them first. 

Between the fallen trees, mossy stumps, and leafy foliage, hooded figures began to approach the scene of their battle, alongside their pokémon. They came from all directions, peeling out of the shaded gloom of the forest. At first, Ash counted ten, but the closer they got, the number seemed to increase to twenty, at least. Soon after, they were surrounded. 

Ash glanced around him warily, but none of the enemies seemed to want to attack just yet. At first, he’d thought it was a fool’s idea to intrude on Aegislash’s battle, but the sword itself had stood down, crossing its shield in front of itself once again. Though I know it can go on the attack again in an instant. It would be idiotic to think Aegislash was seriously leaving Ash to the others, especially after it had just seen what he could do. 

The moment their attention shifted to the surrounding acolytes, Aegislash likely intended to swoop in and take one of them out right there and then. 

Even if Pikachu hit them all at once with a Thunder, there’re a few ground-types that would remain standing since Pikachu can only use the anti-ground technique on individual opponents. And if I tried something, Gengar wouldn’t be able to protect me while I’m using the Electric Plate… That was something they’d found out shortly after Gengar had solved his poison problem. It’d take just enough of our power and attention that Aegislash could pick one of us off. 

Now that that option had been sealed off, Ash rose and stood straighter. “Annihilape. Pikachu. Let’s use that.”

Pikachu chirped in excitement, and Annihilape smashed his fists together, shaking the already tilted cap on his wavering head. 

“Are you serious?” Albrecht said incredulously. “I know you’re a gutsy trainer, but something like this, and right off the bat too…”

Ash didn’t even bother turning around to meet the World Champion’s gaze. “I know it could be dangerous for my pokémon, but this power shouldn’t just belong to me. If Arceus’ power is as infinite as you say, then there should be plenty to go around.”

“That’s…not the issue. The Plates are divided between types for a reason. I’m sure you must’ve seen Riley using Aura in a similar way, but that’s completely different. Aura is the raw power of pokémon, the basic building block of all their attacks. The electric power from the Electric Plate, however—“

“That’s why I explained to you how I was going to use it,” Ash said. Now, he turned to face Albrecht.

The World Champion looked cautious, but willing to listen.

“Think about it. Almost every pokémon has a brain. And even the ones that don’t have some sort of organ that acts as one. The same is true of muscles.” He held up a finger and allowed a spark to dance on its tip. “Aura may power a pokémon’s moves, but this is what powers their bodies.”

Albrecht still looked concerned, if not even moreso now. “Electricity… You’re referring to brain waves…and muscle contractions.”

Ash slammed a fist on his palm. “Exactly! If I can accelerate, or enhance those brain waves and muscle contractions, I should be able to boost my pokémon’s cognitive ability and physical power! I could increase their reaction time and strength tenfold, or even more!”

“Beyond the obvious ramifications such a precise technique would have on your own body, you’re talking about interfering with your pokémon’s most intimate biological processes. Screw up, and who knows what would happen to them? Even I couldn’t say how a misplaced electric charge on the brain, or a muscle, would affect your pokémon, but I can’t imagine it would be good. Or temporary, either.”

“I know, I know,” Ash said. He rubbed his hair. “I know it sounds like I’m ignoring your warnings, but believe me, no one cares more about my own pokémon’s safety than me. It’s just…” He sighed, searching for the words. “I know we can do this. I’ve thought a lot about why someone like me would come to have this power…and I just feel like this is how it’s meant to be used…or something like this, anyway. Shared with my pokémon.”

Albrecht frowned and caressed his chin, but a smile began to peek up from the corners of his mouth. “I’ve met several Platebearers over the years. Without a doubt, they are some of the greediest, most conceited people I have ever met in my entire life. I suppose wielding the power of Arceus would do that to someone, but at the very least, I have never heard one suggest that their power should be shared.” He locked eyes with Ash. “In that regard, you would be the first.”

“Oh, c’mon…” Ash said, embarassed. 

“Arceus’ power…kept by a man, but shared with pokémon…” Albrecht thought for a moment. “Respectively, you’re insane, Ash Ketchum. But I suppose one would have to be. Odd as it may be, after hearing your words just now, I feel even more confident in my decision to bet on you.”

“Ha ha, thanks!”

“Now, that being said, I absolutely forbid you from tampering with any of the electricity in any of your pokémon, even Pikachu, before you master your control over the Plate. Violate that, and I swear on Arceus’ name, I will peel that Plate off of you faster than you could blink.”

“I thought you said you couldn’t kill Platebearers to get their Plate, since the Plates disappear?” Ash smirked. “You got some special Guardian King ability or something like that?”

Albrecht’s eyes glimmered. “Something like that.” 

For a moment, the World Champion’s wistful look reminded Ash of Sir Aaron. 

But it wasn’t until several weeks later that Ash’s suspicions were confirmed. 

Electricity crackled in Ash’s palm, snapping and lacing around his fingers. Beside him Pikachu and Annihilape both shuddered, and they hunkered down, poised to charge. The nearest grunts to them took a wary step back, and Ash grinned.

Behind the throng of grunts in front of them, Aegislash tilted toward him. Even without a face, concern, clear as day, rose up upon it, as it sensed the tremendous power now emanating from Ash. Then, fast as lightning, it withdrew itself out from behind its shield and roared, a metallic screech echoing through the forest. Purple light wreathed its blade and it lunged forward, pointed directly at Ash. 

Annihilape vanished, and reappeared a moment later directly in front of Aegislash. The sword reared back in surprise, but it didn’t even have time to summon a shield before Annihilape’s burly fist slammed into its eye. Immediately, it reversed velocity, careening back and plowing through AZ’s men, and smashing through a line of trees, before hitting a rocky cliff, cracking it, and falling to the ground. 

Annihilape snorted, dark violet flames wafting around his fist. 

AZ’s men stared in disbelief. Surely they’d believed their master’s pokémon to be absolutely insurmountable, no pokémon of this age able to challenge its experience of three-thousand years. Their pokémon seemed nearly as shocked, but their sights were trained solely on Annihilape, the progenitor of such unfathomable power. To them, he was now the biggest threat. 

Across the way, Aegislash rose slowly, shaking gravel and splinters off of itself. One of its shadowy arms snaked out and lifted its shield, bringing it back in front of itself. Its singular eye locked onto Annihilape, and it trembled with rage, the ground and cliff cratering around it, decimated by its anger. 

Sweat dripped from Ash’s brow, but he wiped it away. “I’ll leave Aegislash to you, Annihilape.”

The ghost-type grunted, and its fur began to flicker like fire as it summoned its wrathful power. 

“Kill Ash Ketchum!” one of the grunts roared, breaking the others out of their trance. 

The surrounded grunts and their pokémon let out a cry, and, determined to avenge their master’s pokémon, they all charged at once toward Ash, priming elemental attacks. 

Pikachu climbed up Ash’s body and leaped off of his head with a shout. Electricity thundered through the air, and faster than the eye could follow, Pikachu blitzed through them all, zapping through the air so fast it was like his body was glitching. An entire line of grunts and their pokémon collapsed onto the forest floor as the rogue electric shocks defeated them instantly. But Pikachu never even dropped to the ground. He simply “glitched” over to another group and felled them all, then teleported behind Ash and slept them too. The remaining grunts could only watch in horror as nearly their entire group was defeated in a matter of seconds. As Pikachu swiveled to take on the last group, his cheeks sparking with white electricity, the grunts turned to run, abandoning the fight altogether. But Pikachu blitzed forward one last time and ran them down, and they fell to the ground with muffled screams. Pikachu landed atop one of their backs, panting from exertion. 

Only the ground-types remained standing, a Golem, Swampert, and Sandslash utterly petrified in the face of such an overwhelming onslaught. Their eyes were bloodshot and wide with fear. 

Ash dropped to his knee, breathing heavily. “Switch…Switch out with Annihilape, Pikachu. Defeat Aegislash.”

The flat of Aegislash’s blade arced around to slam  into Annihilape’s midsection, but at the last second, he braced the attack with his arm, and vanished into the ground, slithering through the shadows. Jumping up behind Aegislash, he pulled back to deliver the Phantom Force, but Aegislash spun in the air, nearly slashing him from forehead to jaw. 

Pikachu squeaked and leaped into the quarrel, his tail hardened and black for an Iron Tail. Annihilape seemed to catch on, and he snorted angrily at having to give up on his prey. Nevertheless, his beady eyes saw his trainer kneeling on the ground, and he quickly identified the remaining threats.

As Pikachu engaged Aegislash, Annihilape somersaulted over them, landing between the three remaining pokémon. With an enemy now right in front of them, they seemed to regain some vigor, and snarled in defiance of their inevitable defeat. But before they could attack, Annihilape unleashed an all-out pummeling, jabbing each one multiple times in a single second. His arms became black blurs, and he roared as he increased the speed of his punches. Each hit released a harsh thump, but Annihilape was relentless, and the three pokémon’s bodies convulsed beneath the unceasing assault. Finally, with one final punch, he ended his Close Combat, steam rising from his tightened fists. Golem, Swampert, and Mudkip all tipped backward, bruised, bloody, and beaten. 

He turned back toward the fight with Aegislash, but growled dismissively upon seeing it, shaking his head. 

Aegislash flung its shield, and it arced around to hit Pikachu, but the mouse blocked with his Iron Tail, then danced into the air. Pikachu screamed, and the heavens darkened. An effulgent knife of white lightning plunged down from the heavens and crashed upon Aegislash, coursing across its body and superheating the metal in an instant. The sword wailed, unleashing a hellish screech of pain, but Pikachu’s Thunder continued its assault until smoke rose from Aegislash’s form. Its shadowy arms went limp and recoiled into its body, and, with an otherworldly groan, it fell to the ground, sinking its blade into the earth and tilting forward slightly. It did not move again. 

“Aghhh,” Ash moaned, collapsing onto his ass, panting. Sweat stained his shirt and he sucked each breath in greedy mouthfuls. “That…was…hah…hah…awesome.”

Annihilape grunted in agreement, waddling back over to his trainer while stepping on top of the bodies of the defeated without a care. Pikachu took one last look at Aegislash to make sure it was down, then scampered over, a concerned look on his face. 

“That was great, you guys. Exactly what I had in mind.” He paused to take in more air. “Now I just need to keep building my stamina up. Because that…really…takes a lot of energy.” He groaned and stood up, then clutched his head painfully. “Damn. Stood up too quickly.” After taking several more breaths, he closed his eyes, but they snapped open a moment later. “Shit! We need to go, now. AZ is already almost at the palace!”

Testing his strength, Ash took a shaky step forward, then another. Feeling good to go, he broke into a run, Annihilape and Pikachu following.


Land of Rota - South of the Town of Rota

Three thousand years. 

Three thousand years 

He had not faced an opponent of a worthy caliber in over three thousand years. It wasn’t for lack of trying either. When the war ended, and his master was shackled and buried to be forgotten, with the fate of the defeated destined to befall him, he fled the battlefield. Back then, three thousand years ago, he had only an inkling of the power he now possessed. He’d been a force on the battlefield, but the fighting had been fierce and long, and in the end, they’d lost. So rather than suffer the same disgrace as his master, he fled. Corrupt, treacherous, evil. As the humans advanced and learned more about the world, they came to ascribe said labels, and more, to his species. But it was a simple calculus. There was nothing to be gained from sticking around to get imprisoned, domesticated, or slaughtered like the others. So he fled to lick his wounds and fight another day. And in those intervening three millennia, he trained. Eventually, even those the humans called “legendary” and “mythical” became easy foes. He got good enough to battle them into submission, rather than unleash his full power to completely decimate them, and risk ensnaring the attention of the humans. Life became boring. His master was still alive like he was, but why didn’t he make a move? He kept anticipating it and anticipating it, always expecting a grand breakout just around the corner, and before he knew it, a thousand years had passed. 

Eventually he met a man called Vandrick who claimed to serve his master, and a peek into his mind confirmed it to be true. So he allowed himself to be captured. What did it matter? His master’s spirit appeared to be broken, and the war had ended years ago. Why not stick with those who still served him? It’s not like he remained confined all the time. He explored the world, but three thousand years was a long time, and the world was not large enough to entertain him for so long. As his master’s servants died, he was passed along to their descendants, again and again, though it made no difference to him. Several others were recovered over the years, but they were in a similar state as him. Bored, and waiting for their master to return. So he found no comfort in their company either. It wasn’t like they’d gotten along all that well before either. 

But eventually, he did return. And when he did, they all fell back to his side, as if no time at all had passed. 

After waiting and waiting and waiting for so long, he had expected a worthy opponent when his master finally went to war again. In hindsight, he shouldn’t have. He’d been training for three thousand years. Who or what could possibly oppose him now?

Malamar’s black eyes narrowed at the sight of that girl, laying on the ground motionless, like a twig. Her Alakazam crouched next to her, and Malamar couldn’t even bring himself to finish it off immediately. The sight of them together was just so pitiful. 

The girl was psychic, obviously. Stronger than most. She’d infiltrated his soul and navigated her way to its core. Credit where it was due, that was impressive. But she couldn’t follow through. All it’d taken was a Mirror Coat over his own soul to incapacitate her instantly. Clearly, she hadn’t known he could do that. But again, how could she? She was, what? A decade or two old? Malamar was hundreds. This outcome was only natural. 

Perhaps if Malamar wasn’t so devoid of emotions now, he would’ve felt more than a numb disgust as he primed a Dark Pulse to obliterate his enemies. Remorse was out of the question, but he would’ve at least liked to have been able to respect them. 

It’s good this won’t do any lasting damage. If it had, I’d have to make your defeat rather excruciating. 

Malamar frowned, and as he did, the Alakazam stood and turned to look up at him. Psychic energy burned like fire in his eyes.

Malamar cocked his squirming head in curiosity, and stalled the charging of his Dark Pulse. You can speak to me telepathically, despite my darkness. I hadn’t thought you capable of that. Till now, only the so-called “Legendaries” have been able to achieve such a feat. 

I don’t make a habit of communicating with those I intend to destroy. But for one as powerful as you, I thought I’d make an exception, since I think I’ll have to let loose a little more than usual. 

Malamar extinguished his Dark Pulse, the churning vortex spinning into a tiny speck, then vanishing from between his fins. He smirked. You’re quite arrogant. What an unexpected, but supremely welcome surprise. If nothing else, perhaps your overwhelmingly conceited attitude will remain with me, after I turn your body and soul into smithereens on that grass. You, and your pathetic master, of course. 

Alakazam glanced down at Sabrina, then back up at Malamar. Hmmm. I’ve already decided to destroy you, so your threats mean little to me now. But since we’re already communicating, I suppose I’ll say one more thing before we begin. One of his spoons became tinged in psychic power, and a pokéball carefully unhooked itself from Sabrina’s belt, before floating over to Alakazam and stopping above his head. The silver lining of this situation is that since my master is asleep right now, she won’t be able to witness what I’m about to do to you. I would hate it if she learned how truly monstrous I am. 

For the first time in centuries, a chill ran down Malamar’s back. There was something unnerving about the stoic way this one discussed his defeat, as if it were an obvious fact. 

The energy around Alakazan’s spoon flared, and the pokéball above him clicked, absorbing him back into it.

Malamar frowned, but a moment later, the pokéball clicked again, and Alakazam emptied out once more. His eyes widened.

Suddenly, Alakazam was so much more powerful. Before, its strength seemed minuscule compared to his own. But now, raw power emanated from its prone form, its whiskers fluttering in the windless air. Even though Alakazam was physically beneath him, he felt as if he was staring at it on even footing.

My master doesn’t like conflict and tries to avoid it as much as possible,” Alakazam said. As such, it only makes sense that she carelessly left my limiter on when you appeared. Not that it matters now.

Malamar glared at his opponent, but he couldn’t stifle a mirthful cackle. A worthy opponent… Finally! Let us battle until—

The air in front of Alakazam shimmered, before bursting into a million pieces, and blinding Malamar with its scalding light. It burned, it burned away at his body, and he could smell his own flesh roasting beneath the inferno. He screamed, and tried to escape, but every direction he flew, the Dazzling Gleam followed him. Bracing against the agony, he summoned a Light Screen all around his body. He could feel the attack pressing against it, but it dulled the pain enough for him to come up with a counter. Just before the shield shattered, Malamar tore through it himself, plummeting down to the ground as he wreathed himself in dark energy. The light burned against it, but it held. His mind’s eye found Alakazam instantly, since the creature could not hope to hide his unbelievable power. He slithered across the grass in half a second as the light seared his every sense, and his fin sharpened and darkened, poised to deliver a Night Slash that would cleave Alakazam in half. 

The light suddenly faded as Alakazam called off the attack, and Malamar forced his vision to readjust in an instant. There it was before him, floating above the ground cross-legged. Malamar saw an invisible psychic dyad slip into the sky a moment before Alakazam teleported, and he immediately changed trajectory, bulleting into the sky before Alakazam had even finished reforming. The spoon-wielder’s eyes widened upon seeing him, and he salivated at the sight of it. His eyes brimmed, restraining Alakazam in place, and he brought his fin down.

A network of light blitzed between the two combatants just before Malamar’s fin raked across Alakazam’s chest. Scarlet blood seeped from the wound, and Alakazam shot toward the ground, but Malamar frowned. That should have cur through it completely! My power…! A moment later, Malamar realized what had happened.

Alakazam caught itself before hitting the ground, swooping around until it was back in a sitting position hovering just above the grass. It touched its chest, and when it pulled away, its fingertips were stained red. But it didn’t wince in the slightest.

You’re quite the trickster, Malamar said, floating back down to it. But using Power Swap has only prolonged the inevitable. See? As he said it, he felt his own power flood back into his body. For one as powerful as I am, you could only swap our powers for a few seconds at most. It served only to protect you from a single attack. 

Alakazam glanced at Malamar, betraying nothing. It’s true, my power is nothing compared to yours. I’m sure suffering a single attack from you would mean the end of my life. By comparison, it would take many attacks from me to finally defeat you, and most of them, you could weather quite handily. But…I have no intention of dying here today.

Then come and defeat me! Malamar roared. The air around him twisted and snapped, five dark vortexes spiraling into form. Then, from the maw of each shot a barrage of Shadow Balls, all homing in on Alakazam.

Alakazam raised its spoons and summoned a rain of sharpened arcs of energy. Each one met a Shadow Ball in midair and sliced through it, expelling its power harmlessly. The Psycho Cuts and Shadow Balls clashed between them, bursting with explosions of purple-tinged smoke. The forest trembled around them, and once they realized they were at an impasse, they both increased the volume of their attacks, determined to break through to reach the other. Light and darkness flashed on both of their faces, and their eyes never left each other, as they each sought out the tiniest lapse in each other’s defenses, be it mental or physical.

Malamar found it first. As one of his Shadow Balls was bisected in midair, one of the dissipating halves fell between them, obscuring their lines of sight for a moment. It only lasted a fraction of a second, but Malamar had caught it. Summoning several more Shadow Balls to keep up the barrage, Malamar surged forward through the onslaught, twisting and weaving between the explosions, and under their cover, he once again coated his fin in a Night Slash.

Just as he tore through the smoke, Alakazam vanished from right in front of him, and a moment later, he felt a spasming agony crash down upon his back. Then another, and another. Then, they came so fast he couldn’t even count the individual impacts. It teleported right behind me! Because the distance was so close, I couldn’t follow the dyad! He rocketed away, turning in the air to see his assailant, and his eyes widened.

Lightning covered one of Alakazam’s fists, and fire covered the other. Instinctively, Malamar cast a gale of darkness outward to keep Alakazam’s pummeling at bay, and surprisingly, it relented, lowering its fists and allowing him to regain his footing some distance away. Malamar burned with contempt. Showing mercy…to me?

I doubt you’ve come across very many, if any, Alakazam like me, Alakazam said. Doubtless, you thought I was a purely ranged attacker like all the rest. The thought of a melee encounter must have been unthinkable. He extinguished the Thunder Punch and Fire Punch in each hand. Unfortunately for you, I am adept at both. Alakazam’s stoic eyes flashed with a carnal violence. So that I can pull apart my master’s enemies however I need to.

Malamar glared at Alakazam, trying his best to ignore the pain on his back. The sight of Alakazam, who looked entirely unbothered by the gash across its chest, only enraged Malamar even more. I sensed no physical strength from it at all even after it disabled its limiter. It must have enhanced those punches with psychic power… To speed up its limbs and create more weight…it turned its own body into a puppet, with itself as puppeteer. Malamar would’ve chortled if it hadn’t worked so well. Such an impractical skill, and for what? 

The ground cracked beneath Malamar as he released a miasma of darkness. The grass grayed and shriveled, and the decay spread to nearby trees, crawling up their trunks in a carnivorous rot. Without warning, he launched forward in a crimson and gold nova of darkness. Again, Malamar locked Alakazam in place, and crushed its body too for good measure. It buckled under the strain and tried to fire off a Focus Blast or a Swift or some such similar move, but it didn’t matter. Whatever it was got snuffed out upon hitting his cloak of darkness. When he was mere inches from Alakazam, Malamar summoned the largest Dark Pulse he could, and a giant pitch-black ball roiled into existence above his head, crackling with malice. It fed off his cloak of darkness, and even if Alakazam tried to dodge it, he was close enough now that the attack had caught its scent, and would chase him down till it devoured him.

Alakazam didn’t have time to dodge, though. The orb consumed him, and detonated. As Malamar flipped away, a low-pitched scream blasted through the forest, spewing noxious darkness in all directions. The forest melted away where the black fumes touched it, reduced to organic slag in a matter of seconds. Malamar simpered as he watched it. He could sense Alakazam’s body within the dark inferno, and did not detect even a hint of energy that could have protected it. Across the chasm, his master’s man watched in horror and awe, and Malamar flushed with a sick pride.

As the scream died down to a whistle, the darkness slowly began to fade. Through the smoke, Malamar could see Alakazam’s silhouette, curled on the ground like a pathetic infant. Once the darkness dissipated, the outcome was clear. Alakazam, or what was left of it, lay motionless on the ground. Parts of its limbs and torso had been completely disintegrated, with nothing but ash resting between the grisly remains of the rest of its corpse. 

Malamar smiled. Arrogant little worm. It was fun while it lasted, but this was always the inevitable result. No pokémon of this age could ever hope to face me, much less, a psychic. As thanks for entertaining me, I’ll send your master along right after you.

The girl still lay on the grass back where they’d begun the battle, and Malamar began floating toward her.

Now that we’ve both had our fun, I think it’s time I end this.

Malamar froze. That voice was coming from Alakazam. He whipped around just in time to see the gruesome pile of burned skin and cinder disappearing in a haze of energy. Just behind the corpse, a magenta sheen slipped over the open air, revealing a perfectly undamaged Alakazam, looking rather disappointed.

What?

Alakazam walked around his remains, even though there wasn’t a single atom of them left there. You’re not weak by any stretch. I meant every word I said. And because of that, I ended up having to stall you for much longer than I usually have to, so I could have time to build the necessary power to end you.

Malamar’s eye twitched, and his mind raced at a million miles a minute trying to process what was happening before him. I…I was fighting a Substitute this entire time? But its power…and even its corpse! It was like a perfect clone… Wait, ‘build the necessary power?’

Malamar’s eyes shined as he assessed Alakazam’s form. Immediately, his stomach dropped and he shuddered. No… How could I have been so foolish…? Just how many Calm Minds did I let it use…?

Alakazam brimmed with a potency that could have put every single other pokémon Malamar had ever fought to shame. With every step, it rearranged the atoms beneath its feet, and the molecules of carbon dioxide and oxygen in the air. They transformed according to its will, reality itself shifting to accommodate it.

Malamar swallowed.

Alakazam fixed him with a wizened gaze, like a serial killer who’d been murdering his entire life and never got caught.

Malamar didn’t even react upon feeling the Miracle Eye hit him, rendering his immunity nonexistent. Forgive me, Master. You waited so long, and I failed you.


Sabrina opened her eyes. The first thing she noticed was that she was drenched in sweat. A chill ran across her body, but she was thankful for it, because it meant the nightmare was over. The second thing she noticed was Alakazam staring down at her. The sight of him reminded her of where she was, before the nightmare had begun, and she bolted up, her dread momentarily forgotten.

Around her, the forest was blackened, though not from fire, by the looks of it. The path of carnage snaked further into the forest, away from the chasm. But Alakazam appeared unharmed. And it was quiet.

“Where’s the enemy?” she asked.

Alakazam pointed with his spoon over to the chasm. 

“You dumped it back down the chasm? Did you…defeat it?”

Alakazam stared into her eyes, then pointed at her belt. At her third pokéball, which she rarely opened.

“I…I see,” she said, standing up. The memories of her past were still as fresh as blood in her mind, and as always, she searched frantically for a distraction. Luckily, there were many here. She looked across the chasm and saw that the portal had vanished, and several of AZ’s acolytes lay unconscious on the grass.

“Did you do that?” she asked.

Alakazam nodded. Ever the stoic. She talked with him normally and telepathically, but he rarely responded back. If gestures would suffice, he always used them. It made her feel a bit guilty. She’d heard that pokémon take after their trainers, which meant his behavior was likely caused by her own detached personality. 

She leapt over the chasm and touched down on the other side, determined not to look down. She didn’t even want to look at that horrible creature, even defeated. Alakazam followed her, and she recalled him, silently thanking him. If not for him, who knows what would have happened to her?

But if the worst had happened, would it even…?

No, no, no, no.

Ash. Anabel. Cynthia. Zinnia. N. Sylvester. Ash. Anabel. Cynthia. Zinnia. N. Sylvester. Ash. Anabel. Cynthia. Zinnia. N. Sylvester.

She took a breath and extended her psychic sight across the lands. Ash was running back toward Cameran Palace, and—

“Anabel!” she said. The girl wasn’t at Albrecht Manor where she expected. She was at the Tree of Beginning!

Where should she go now? Should she try and find Riley and let him know he was on a pointless errand to the manor, or should she go over there herself? Surely Anabel must have realized what was happening, but if she was still there after so much time had already passed since the attack began, it could only mean something was keeping her there.

Sabrina’s gauntlets flared, but just before she could teleport, a voice entered her mind, and issued a command.

And she obeyed, immediately giving up on Anabel, and teleporting back toward Cameran Palace.


Land of Rota - Near Cameran Palace

AZ exhaled as he walked up to the cliff’s edge. There it was in all its glory. Cameran Palace looked exactly the same as he remembered it. That white granite and those red roofs. Those golden maples and that pristine lake.

You’re welcome to stay as long as you’d like. As long as I’m king, you can always call Cameran Palace home.

AZ sneered at the memory that came unbidden to his mind. He crushed it into dust and cast it away. Once upon a time, he’d spent quite a bit of time here. Now, it would all crumble beneath him.

As he leapt off the cliff down to the forest below, he gripped his sixth pokéball, one of three that hadn’t yet been vacated. This one would bring the Palace down.

Next — Chapter 38 : Jackaline Avatar


 

0