KNIGHTHOOD
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Kagami!” His brother's voice echoed through the room, breaking the stillness of Kagami's momentary slumber.

         With a rough sigh and a tired motion, Kagami rose his arm to the bedside table, slipping it over to grasp his badge.

         “Kaaagaaammii!” Zephyr's persistent calls continued with an annoying enthusiasm, the sound of numerous footsteps approaching Kagami's room.

         A glance at the clock confirmed that it was far too early for such disruptions.

         Exhaling an exhausted breath, Kagami pulled himself up from his large bed, the purple sheets flipping over in protest. 

         “Yes, Zephyr?” He responded, his tone a mixture of irritation and resignation.

         “Brother, we’re due for a mission.” Zephyr declared abruptly as he barged into Kagami's room, the anticipation evident in his energetic demeanor.

         He stared at his brother, short cropped blue hair and tall frame standing in the doorway.

         Kagami deftly sidestepped Zephyr's attempt at a hug, smoothly reaching for his silver-colored blade.

         With precision, he pointed it toward Zephyr, a stern question cutting through the morning air.

         “Where’s your sword?” Kagami inquired, his tone firm and unwavering.

         Zephyr, caught off guard, hastily raised his hands in surrender, his shining white eyes looking up as a nervous grin played on his face.

         “Hey, hey now! It’s in the carriage.” He explained, hoping to defuse the tension.

         Kagami's glare lingered for a moment before he released his blade, dismissing the threat.

         He turned away, heading towards the carriage outside, leaving Zephyr behind with a huff of sadness.

         Zephyr looked away as he left and drooped. “He’s so serious…” He complained.

         In an attempt to distract himself, Zephyr motioned towards the left side of Kagami's resting area, unfolding the purple covers. Amidst the folds, something caught his eye, glinting mysteriously.

         Zephyr reached for the object with a curious, almost suspicious expression. 

         “A frame?” He pondered aloud as he pulled it towards his eyes, only to be met with a surprising revelation.

         “Us…?”

         He stood in disbelief, gazing at the old photo of himself, Kagami and their mother, frozen in a moment of childhood bliss.

         In the dim glow of Kagami's room, Zephyr's gaze lingered on the image of the two young boys and their mother, captured in the simplicity of childhood.

         The innocence reflected in their eyes spoke of a time untouched by the complexities of their current lives.

         The boys, no older than eight, stood alongside their mother, forming a trio bound by smiles and shared laughter. 

         It was a stark contrast to the knights they had become, a testament to the transformative journey life had taken them on.

         Closing the frame gently, Zephyr returned it to its place, the significance of the discovery settling in.

         Kagami never really cared about their brotherhood, and only held care for their knighthood. Maybe this was just him showing a certain tough love.

         He trailed up as he glanced at the door, seeing Kagami blocking the exit.

         “We have places to go, Zephyr.” – “Hurry yourself and let’s go.”

         Zephyr smiled lightly, patting his tall brother’s shoulder. “Yeah, yeah.”

         “I’ve already got just about everything I need.”

       

         The atmosphere inside the carriage weighed heavily on the brothers, the silence punctuated only by the rhythmic clatter of hooves and the occasional hum of insects.

        Zephyr, gripped by an unusual sense of boredom, resorted to tapping his foot against the carriage floor in an attempt to dispel the quiet or humming a tune conjured on the spot.

         Kagami, though tolerant of his brother's attempts to break the silence, couldn't hide the hint of irritation in his eyes.

         He turned his head away, choosing to fixate on the passing landscape visible through the carriage window.

         As the carriage traversed a well-maintained path, bushes brushed against its sides, and the relentless sun cast a scorching glow upon the land.

         Suddenly, an unexpected interruption shattered the tranquility—a thunderous burp erupted from Zephyr. 

         “Mind your manners.” Kagami warned him.

         Unfazed, Zephyr grinned mischievously and retorted, “We’re brothers! Manners aren't needed.”

         Kagami, choosing to ignore the jest, continued to gaze out of the window, absorbing the sights of the passing scenery.

         The rustling of leaves and the faint sound of crickets added a natural soundtrack to their journey, accompanied by the warmth of the sun.

         Resting his head on his palm, Zephyr surveyed the interior of the carriage, seeking a distraction from the monotony. 

         His eyes fell upon a peculiar shiny object concealed beneath some wraps within the driver's compartment.

         The discovery sparked a glimmer of curiosity in Zephyr's eyes, diverting his attention from the idle moments of the journey.

         Zephyr's discovery of the shiny object piqued his curiosity.

         He leaned in, reaching for the intriguing item concealed among the wraps in the carriage. As he unveiled the mysterious object, a gleaming saber caught his eye.

         “A saber!” Zephyr exclaimed with emphasis, holding the weapon in his hands as if he had uncovered a treasure.

         Kagami, however, maintained his focused indifference, his gaze fixed on the passing scenery outside.

         “Put. That. Down.” He ordered him.

         Zephyr, undeterred by Kagami's stoicism, began swinging the saber with an erratic enthusiasm that befitted his carefree nature.

         “Huuuuhhhh? How come? C’mon, have you ever seen a saber before?” He teased, attempting to draw his brother into a playful interaction.

         Kagami, still unyielding in his seriousness, responded, “Zephyr, be a proper knight and put that saber down.” 

         The saber, with its cyan and white gleam, added a surreal touch to the mundane atmosphere within the carriage.

        Zephyr sighed theatrically before complying with Kagami's request, tossing the saber aside with a carefree attitude.

         “Why are you so strict, Kagami?” Zephyr's once-joyful tone dissipated, replaced by a more serious inquiry.

         Kagami turned his head away, releasing a huff. “Because as the smarter sibling, I need to keep both of us in line.”

         “What? So fun doesn’t exist anymore?” Zephyr argued, settling into a seat next to Kagami and stretching out his left arm.

         “We gave up ‘fun’ once we began being official knights.” Kagami responded, dismissing Zephyr's protest with a wave of his hand. He turned his gaze out the window to his left.

         “You’re just boring~” Zephyr teased, waving off Kagami's commitment to knighthood.

         Kagami snarled in irritation, stomping his foot. “Or maybe you just don’t care about knighthood.”

         “Remember–the king, Qestra Seseri himself knighted us. And I won’t allow you, or myself to hinder our progress to being favored knights.”

         “... So you’re boring?” Zephyr restated, poking fun at Kagami's dedication.

         This remark sent Kagami into a heated rage. He was genuinely exhausted from Zephyr's antics, especially when he attempted to be serious.

         Why must I suffer like this? Kagami's internal lament echoed through his thoughts as Zephyr's boisterous snickering pierced the air, disrupting the carriage's relative silence.

         Seeking solace, Kagami took measured breaths, attempting to calm the irritation welling up within him, his hand pressed against his temple in a gesture of mild vexation.

         As Kagami cast a sidelong glance at Zephyr, who seemed blissfully unaware of the internal turmoil, smiled and threw an exaggerated thumbs-up, greeting him. 

         Kagami, rolling his eyes in response, shifted his focus elsewhere, laying his chin on his hand in a contemplative pose.

         Unlike his seemingly carefree brother, Kagami had taken the time to gather information about their destination.

          They were headed to the Donovan Kingdom, a realm intertwined with the Seseri in a longstanding alliance. 

         The history of camaraderie between the two kingdoms defied the usual pattern of alliances forged and broken in the tumultuous landscape of medieval realms.

         Qestra, the Seseri king, had played a pivotal role in solidifying these ties, guided by shared ideals.

         The nature of their mission, protection transportation, presented its own set of challenges.

         The brothers were tasked with accompanying a nobleman or a member of the ruling bloodline, ensuring their safety throughout the journey.

         A nagging curiosity persisted—how had Zephyr, typically assigned to less critical missions, secured a quest of such importance?

         He usually found himself getting ones such as slaying goblins or defeating orc camps.

         Ultimately, Kagami's pragmatic perspective took precedence. The details of the mission mattered less to him than the assurance of a good payment and the preservation of the alliance between Donovan and Seseri.

         A cool breeze swept through the air, carrying with it a subtle fragrance of blooming flowers. Zephyr's gaze lifted, captivated by the sprawling cityscape before him.

         Towering structures, reminiscent of Poseidon's majestic waves, adorned the streets, while meticulously crafted homes painted a picture of prosperity and contentment.

         Carriages, steered by both men and women, rolled along the streets, each a snapshot of joyous lives.

         Yet, the pinnacle of this spectacle was the Donovan castle, a masterpiece among continents.

         Its enormity overwhelmed Zephyr, confirming the tales he'd heard. Donovan, renowned for how remarkable it was. 

         The castle, perched above a giant lake with crystal-clear waters. They flowed back and forth as smoothly as a swimming mermaid.

         It was connected by a bridge that seemed to transcend simplicity. Simple white bricks composed the bridge, and yet, Donovan's touch made it extraordinary.

         As Zephyr marveled, his eyes fixed on his brother Kagami with a blazing thrill.

         “Can you believe it, we’re going into that BEAUTY!” 

         Kagami, as cold as he was, reciprocated those feelings that Zephyr emanated. He too, did think that the castle was one in a million.

         The castle, though not adorned with a plethora of jewels, radiated elegance. Edges shimmered with marble and amethyst, reaching heights of 40 to 50 feet, its taller keeps almost grazing the clouds. Roofs crafted from an array of minerals culminated in a crystal blue diamond.

         Zephyr faced forward, noticing two imposing statues standing tall, knights with a shield at their feet.

         Magni and Modi, medieval champions, immortalized for their deeds. Although Zephyr hadn’t, Kagami knew who those two knights were.

         Magni was a wild fighter who slayed legions within minutes, Modi was the smart one, magic user of sorts.                   

         Kagami had a certain line of respect for Modi, not so much after discovering he soon later betrayed Magni in an attempt for the pond of youth, which proved to be a lie created by the olden Donovan king.

         They both died by each other's hands. Despite the brotherly blood spilt, their accomplishments earned them those statues.

         Kagami silently hoped that he and his brother wouldn’t fall to those same tactics, and that they would die together in battle, or grow old and be buried close.

         “We’re here.” The driver soon spoke out to the two knights.

         Zephyr, the first to rise from his seat with a gleaming smile, ear to ear one could say. “Let us go, brother!”

         Kagami nodded solemnly, “Yes. This is already showing to be an interesting mission you’ve gotten us.”

         Zephyr took a step forward and hopped out of the carriage, when he landed, the stone bridge was firm and strong.

         Zephyr huffed with a particular excitement that coursed through his veins. The castle loomed ahead, a beacon of beauty.

         He turned his head to his brother who soon jumped down himself, walking next to Zephyr who planted his hand on his brother’s shoulder.

         “It looks amazing!” Zephyr loudly said.

         Kagami, again, agreed with his younger brother. “Mhm.”

         The man inside the carriage spoke out, breaking their reverie.

         “Wouldja guys like a ride back or nah?”

         Zephyr looked to Kagami, who looked back at him. “It would be convenient..” Zephyr whispered.

         “But a waste of time for the driver. Remember, if we truly are traveling with a noble or royal, they will test us.”

         Zephyr grumbled and slowly pivoted to the man inside the carriage before nodding hastily. “Yeah, yeah! You can uuuhh.. Stay here… For about 30 or so minutes, if you don’t mind?”

         The man stared at Zephyr for a few cold seconds with a blank face before responding, “You’ll have to pay extra.”

         “How much is extra, exactly?” Zephyr asked.

         The man sighed deeply and set his ropes aside, crossing his arms. “You’ll find out. Now go, I don’t have all day..”

         Zephyr quickly bent his body and bowed before turning around and glancing at Kagami.

         “Alright, alright, let’s go now.” He told his brother.

         The brothers, clad in their clanking armor, approached the imposing castle doors with measured steps.

         As they neared, the sheer scale of the entrance struck Zephyr with awe. The doors, towering up close, and the statues flanking them, took on a newfound majesty.

         Zephyr turned to his brother, finding Kagami resolute, his gaze fixed ahead, the weight of their mission evident in the lines on his determined face.

         Without a word exchanged, Kagami advanced toward the polished wooden doors, a figure of unwavering purpose. 

         Caught between the allure of curiosity and the gravity of the moment, Zephyr hesitated briefly before following suit.

         Kagami raised his armored knuckles, and with deliberate precision, he knocked on the doors.

         The resulting sound, both loud and muffled, resonated across the entrance, its echoes permeating the grand foyer beyond.

         Kagami, seemingly patient, continued the ritualistic knocking, each rap a deliberate signal to whoever awaited within the fortress.

         In the stillness that followed, the air hung heavy with anticipation. The brothers stood as guardians at the threshold, their imposing armor contrasting with the silent grandeur of the castle.

         The echoes of Kagami's knocks lingered, creating a rhythmic cadence that seemed to synchronize with the beating of their armored hearts in the castle bridge.

         The footsteps on the other side of the castle doors grew louder, echoing through the silent bridge. Zephyr, eager and ready, took a step forward, anticipation written across his face.

         However, Kagami, full of composure, halted him with a raised hand. "No, let them invite us in," Kagami uttered in a low, authoritative tone.

         Zephyr nodded, albeit reluctantly, and both brothers stepped back, allowing the unseen hosts to extend their invitation.

         A few tense seconds passed, a palpable anticipation hanging in the air. Then, as if surrendering to the weight of time, the castle door—the one on the right—crept open with a loud, reverberating creak.

         The sound sliced through the quiet courtyard, the ancient hinges protesting against the intrusion of movement. 

         The gap revealed a sliver of the grandeur within, teasing the brothers with a glimpse of the mysterious world beyond the fortress walls.

         Kagami's sharp eyes remained fixed on the partially opened door, he let out a small grunt. Zephyr, though restrained, couldn't suppress a hint of excitement that flickered in his eyes.

         As the door fully opened, a slender, tall, light-skinned man came into view.

         He exuded an air of formality and elegance, adorned in a white, old-fashioned beard and slick, short white hair.

         White gloves adorned his hands, and he wore a suit befitting that of a butler.

         Kagami, the more seasoned of the two brothers, moved to speak, but the butler's voice resonated first, deeper than Kagami had expected.

         "Welcome, warriors of Seseri," The butler intoned with a touch of gravitas.

         Out of respect, Kagami subtly lowered his body, a gesture mirrored as he guided his brother Zephyr to do the same.

         "Pleased to be here, sir," Kagami responded with a measured tone.

         The butler emitted a low chuckle, his demeanor carrying a hint of amusement.

         He turned slightly, allowing them entry with a sweeping gesture. "Hahah, sir is quite the joke, knight."

         Kagami's eyes flickered with a subtle acknowledgment of the butler's playful remark.

         He straightened from his bow, gesturing for Zephyr to follow suit, but his impulsive brother had already charged ahead into the castle.

         Kagami, frustration evident, turned his gaze back to the butler. "I apologize for my brother's behavior," he said, a hint of annoyance in his tone.

         The butler, unfazed, offered a soft smile.

         "No, no, I do not mind," The butler reassured, his demeanor maintaining a calm and composed elegance.

         The echoes of Zephyr's hastened steps resonated through the corridor as Kagami, momentarily caught between irritation and responsibility, took a moment to collect himself.

         The castle's interior, adorned with opulent decor, created a stark contrast to the more rugged Seseri surroundings they were accustomed to.

         With a composed nod, Kagami followed Zephyr's trail into the depths of Donovan Castle.

         The butler, ever the gracious guide, led them through the intricate hallways.

         Kagami, sensing the importance of clarity, felt compelled to inform the butler of the purpose behind their presence.

         "My brother and I are here for a quest, transportation," He explained with a straightforward tone.

         The butler nodded knowingly, his demeanor composed.

         "I am aware. The Donovan Kingdom plans to make amends with the Eldoria Kingdom, so you are to transport their prince for negotiations," The butler revealed, shedding light on the diplomatic mission that awaited them.

         Kagami, hearing this for the first time, turned to Zephyr, who responded with a nervous shrug.

         Leaning in, he whispered to Kagami, "I forgot to tell you, okay?"

        Feeling a pang of annoyance building up for being left in the dark, Kagami couldn't resist expressing his frustration. 

         He gave Zephyr a slight push as they continued walking through the grand hallways of Donovan Castle.

         The lad, finally able to take in the opulent scenery, glanced around with wide-eyed wonder.

         Paintings adorned the walls, depicting scenes of grandeur and history. Pictures captured moments frozen in time, telling stories of the kingdom's past.

         Elegant jewels sparkled in their showcases, adding a touch of extravagance to the surroundings.

         Pillars soared high, supporting the grandeur of the castle, and the marble floor beneath their armored boots shone gracefully, reflecting the richness of Donovan's heritage.

         Despite Kagami's irritation at being kept in the dark, the sheer beauty of the castle's interior couldn't escape his notice.

         The Donovan Kingdom's wealth and history were displayed with every step, and the brothers found themselves navigating through a tapestry of culture and refinement.

         As they drew closer to the heart of the castle, Zephyr's keen ears picked up the gradual crescendo of distant chatter. 

         What once seemed like mere echoes transformed into audible conversations that grew clearer with each turn. Intrigued, Zephyr couldn't help but voice his curiosity. 

         "What's up with the people in here?" He inquired, directing the question to the butler guiding them.

         The butler turned his head slightly toward Zephyr, maintaining his demeanor as they continued their elegant stroll through the castle's lavish corridors.

         "Every time a royal departs from the kingdom, a blessing ceremony ensues, accompanied by a grand feast of exquisite proportions," The butler explained in a refined tone, adding an air of sophistication to the description befitting his role. 

         Zephyr, gradually becoming more excited at the prospect of meeting the prince, stole a glance at Kagami, who responded with a gruff grunt.

         The lingering tension from Zephyr's earlier omission of details still simmered beneath the surface for Kagami.

         As they inched closer to the source of voices, anticipation hung thick in the air.

         Turning the last corner, their gazes widened as the grandeur of the scene unfolded before them.

         Men and women adorned in extravagant dresses encrusted with diamonds, and refined suits exuding elegance, filled the giant hall.

         Zephyr's eyes darted to the right, where a massive red throne with gold edges commanded attention, leading to it was a grand red carpet.

         Eager to engage with the nobility, Zephyr made a swift move, only to be promptly halted by Kagami's firm intervention, accompanied by a hushed warning: "Don't even think about it."

         Zephyr groaned, expressing his frustration through silent mouthing. "Why do you have to be like this, Kagami? This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for us!" He openly complained.

         Kagami, snarling, released his grip on Zephyr but not without a parting command. "Stay close," He instructed. 

         Zephyr nodded and approached the nobles, ready to engage in conversation.

         However, his intentions were abruptly interrupted by a strong, authoritative force that approached him closely.

         Glancing to his left, Zephyr saw a long red mantle trailing gracefully across the floor, paired with tall brown boots.

         Before him stood a prince, dressed in regal attire. The prince's clothes were characterized by intricate embroidery and luxurious fabrics that befitted his royal stature.

         A lighter but equally royal voice addressed both Zephyr and Kagami.

         "Ah, so you're the Joadia brothers?"

0