Part 79: Horrible, this was horrible
52 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No, it must be an apparition, she thought. The person sitting three tables away from her, all consumed in chomping away on his steak, face masked with anger like someone had stolen his beloved Ferrari, looked just like that Lothario from back in Auckland. No, this was Queenstown. Surely she wouldn’t be running into him again. So she rubbed her eyes twice to fend away the illusion.

 

 But no matter how many times she rubbed them, Logan’s image was still sitting there eating his steak. Yikes, it was him. What was that Lothario doing here anyway? Horrible, this was horrible. 

 

Why of all places must she run into him here? Why did heaven decide for her to see him now? Hiding behind the oversized menu so Logan couldn’t spot her from this distance,  Evonne ate her meal like she was vying for the Guinness World Record of who could eat the fastest. 

 

Almost choking a few times because her mind was no longer on her food and too consumed in looking at Logan to make sure he wasn’t looking her way, she poured some piping hot green tea into her mug and automatically chucked the whole contents of the cup down her throat, and dear heaven, she almost screamed in pain when the scalding hot liquid scorched her throat. Serves me right for eating like this,  Evonne thought, but she had to make her escape ASAP. 

 

She knew if he saw her, he would ruin her day again, like all the previous times they’d met. Today, though, she didn’t want to see him. She wanted to be alone, to replay the scene of last night, so escape she must. Without further ado, she got up from her chair and paid for her meal, then briskly walked away from the café, heading back toward  Bloembergen Hotel. 

 

She didn’t breathe a sigh of relief until she was in the elevator, coming face to face with a painting of red roses. Examining the painting with the intricate petals and vines winding around each other,  Evonne felt a sudden desire well up inside her, which in turn made her cheeks burn.

 

 

Remembering last night, she shyly turned away from the painting, thinking about  Ulysses and herself, bodies entwined together like those rose vines. Eager to get another sneak peek, she turned back to the painting, then was suddenly reminded of Rina and Rosa. 

 

 Evonne mentally noted to herself that she must pay a visit to both the girls when she returned to Auckland, to inform them of her adventure through  James ’s scheme. Behind her, Evonne heard the elevator ding, indicating the door was closing. Suddenly, a yawn overcame her. With her eyes closed and her body slouched against the wall, she suddenly realized she was tired.

 

 Luckily, she still had today to spend in the hotel before flying back home tomorrow. She wondered what  James was up to last night, but her thoughts were cut short when the elevator door dinged open again. Evonne opened her eyes again and straightened herself, not wanting anyone to see her in such a state.

 

 It wouldn’t be right for a gum specialist to act like a child, closing her eyes and slouching around as she could sleep anywhere. Once she got her posture together, she waited patiently for the other occupant to appear, but when he did appear, she realized heaven was never going to be on her side when it came to that Lothario.

 

0