Chapter 52: Selecting a Maidservant
83 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wang Lingxin woke, her gaze lingering on the ceiling for a moment, still not accustomed to her surroundings. With a sleepy yawn, she rubbed the remnants of sleep from her eyes and glanced to the side, where a familiar figure donned in full armor sat reading at a nearby table. A smile crept across her lips as she saw him.

"Good morning, Master," Wang Lingxin greeted Orion.

"Good morning. How was your sleep?" Orion inquired.

"It was wonderful," Wang Lingxin replied, marveling at the luxuriousness of the bed she had rested on. She really liked this new bed—soft, warm, and incredibly comfortable.

"Good to hear. Get prepared," Orion instructed.

"Master, are we going somewhere today? What will we do today?" Wang Lingxin asked as she rose from bed and tidied the sheets.

"We'll be exploring the city again today, sampling different foods. How does that sound?" Orion closed its book and fixed its gaze on Wang Lingxin.

"Really? That sounds amazing!" Wang Lingxin exclaimed, excitement evident in her voice.

Today's plan isn't solely about exploring the city and indulging Wang Lingxin, but more importantly, it's for information gathering. Currently, Orion has enough resources and money to sustain its survival and cater to Wang Lingxin's needs, including providing for her cultivation journey up to the Foundation Establishment Realm for decades to come. However, to execute many of its future plans, Orion still lacks in certain aspects, particularly in terms of finances.

Thus, Orion's first step is to make money, and for now it has chosen food as the means to achieve this. Orion plans to take Wang Lingxin around the city to visit various restaurants, food stalls, and eateries to sample different cuisines. Wang Lingxin not only loves to eat but is also rather good at judging food; she sometimes gives her comments about the taste, possible improvements, any lacking elements, or the uniqueness of a dish while savoring it. Orion will use her for tasting, as a robot, Orion lacks such capability.

Meanwhile, Orion will focus on gathering information about the restaurant's operation and patron behavior.

While waiting for Wang Lingxin to prepare, Orion left the room and intended to head out from the residence for a while. As it walked, Orion activated inscriptions on its body, enveloping itself in an energy barrier. "Time to teach that rat a little lesson," Orion mutters as it slowly disappears from view.

On top of a house not far from Orion's residence, a masked figure dressed in dark clothing lurked, peering towards the residence. Suddenly, his instincts kicked in, and he swiftly attempted to jump forward, away from the danger. However, a hand emerged seemingly out of nowhere, gripping his left shoulder firmly, preventing his escape.

Despite the tension, he remained calm. With a quick motion, he unsheathed a short sword from his back and slashed backward with all his might, aiming towards the head of his unseen assailant. A loud clang reverberated through the air as the hand released its grip, allowing him to dash forward and leap to another building roof, sword pointed towards the sudden assailant.

Cold sweat trickled down his forehead as he processed the close call, realizing that someone managed to sneak up on him unnoticed. He could have been easily killed had his attacker wished it. He was also taken aback by the strength of the grip that had held him back. Observing the individual who had appeared behind him, his wariness turned to surprise.

"Mr... Mr. Orion?!" the man exclaimed.

"That's right," Orion confirmed. "Why so surprised to see me?" it inquired, its tone calm and composed.

Now realizing his mistake, the masked man sheathed his sword, knelt, and cupped his hands in a bow, his gaze fixed on the ground. "Forgive me, Mr. Orion. I didn't mean to attack you; I was just surprised," he stammered nervously.

"It's fine. Are you Liu Jin?" Orion asked as it rubbed the area that had been attacked, which remained unaffected because Orion activated its defensive inscription. Orion was satisfied with the successful experiment; the concealment inscriptions for stealth had worked perfectly, and Orion managed to surprise Liu Jin.

"Yes, Mr. Orion. This humble one is named Liu Jin," the man replied.

"Good. You've been briefed on your new job?" Orion inquired.

"Yes, Mr. Orion. My superiors have informed me of everything and ordered me to guard your residence," Liu Jin confirmed.

"Good, you just need to guard the residence and Wang Lingxin when I am not around; also, there's no need to follow me around as you did in Yanjing City. Understand?" Orion clarified.

"Ye... yes, I understand, Mr. Orion. Please forgive me. I was previously ordered to secretly protect you. I didn't mean to spy on you; I really didn't," Liu Jin pleaded, fearing Orion's punishment. Surprised that Orion had discovered him during their time in Yanjing City despite his best efforts to conceal himself carefully from a safe distance, Liu Jin wondered if Orion was a Golden Core Realm cultivator, a Nascent Soul Realm cultivator, or even higher.

"It's fine. No need to worry about it anymore," Orion reassured him. With the assistance of the Liu family, Orion had made several arrangements, including hiring Liu family cultivators to keep watch over the residence.

"Thank you very much, Mr. Orion," Liu Jin said, relieved to be forgiven for secretly following Orion. "Mr. Orion, the carriage drivers and maidservant candidates are prepared. If you have time, you can visit the Liu family residence," he added. In addition to guarding Orion's residence, Liu Jin's new role included relaying messages between Orion and the Liu family.

"Oh, already? Then I will go there later, and you will guard the residence," Orion decided. Orion was satisfied that the Liu family worked quickly to find suitable candidates.

"Yes, understood!" Liu Jin affirmed.

"Do you see that little flag on the second floor? If it's raised, then I am calling for you. Other than that, you can hide anywhere around here. Understand?" Orion instructed.

"Understood, Mr. Orion," Liu Jin acknowledged.

Orion then returned to the residence. As Liu Jin watched Orion's departing figure, he wiped the sweat off his brow in relief. "Phew..." Liu Jin muttered to himself, relieved. After a while, he observed Orion and Wang Lingxin leave the residence. Liu Jin then made his way inside to begin his guard duties. Hmm... I wonder why using flag as a signal. Why not just use voice transmission? Liu Jin wondered internally.

During the night, Orion made several modifications to the residence. This included installing a comprehensive camera system covering the entire premises, which was integrated with an antenna for monitoring purposes. Although the range was limited to several kilometers, it provided Orion with surveillance capabilities. Additionally, Orion placed inscriptions around the residence for security measures, which could be activated remotely. There were also other security arrangements made, and for extra security, Orion employed Liu Jin.

As Orion and Wang Lingxin departed from the residence, Wang Lingxin couldn't help but wonder why they were heading to the Liu family residence instead of exploring the city. "Master, aren't we going to explore the city?" she asked, a hint of disappointment evident in her voice.

"There are some matters that need to be handled first," Orion replied cryptically.

"Um... okay," Wang Lingxin responded, feeling a bit disappointed that they wouldn't be able to indulge in food adventures right away.

In the Liu family residence, Liu Mingzhen greeted Orion and Wang Lingxin and led them inside. The candidates for the carriage driver and maidservants had arrived, and Orion needed to choose. The candidates selected by the Liu family strictly adhered to Orion's criteria.

After a brief evaluation, Orion swiftly selected several carriage drivers from the candidates provided. Given the Liu family's carriage travel business, Orion aimed to exclusively book their carriages. The Liu family had prepared a selection of their finest drivers, carriages, and horses for Orion's consideration. These carriages would operate in shifts, ensuring that Orion had access to their services every day.

For the maidservant, Orion had stricter requirements. After narrowing down the choices, a few candidates remained. Ultimately, the final decision would depend on Wang Lingxin, as she will help take care of Wang Lingxin. The candidates, all young women around 20 years old, waited in the flower garden. Orion instructed Wang Lingxin to interact with them and make her choice.

Wang Lingxin then met with each candidate individually and engaged in conversation. Afterward, she returned to Orion and voiced her decision.

"Are you sure?" Orion asked.

"Yes, that big sister seems nice and kind," Wang Lingxin replied.

"Alright then," Orion said, rather satisfied with all the candidates. Any choice made by Wang Lingxin was acceptable to Orion, as it would go with her decision.

...

Chunhua, an orphan, was left on the doorstep of an orphanage one night. Growing up in the orphanage, she experienced the harsh reality of life without parents. Despite the challenges she faced, Chunhua grew into a resilient young woman, determined to carve out her own path in the world.

As she reached adulthood, Chunhua left the orphanage to make her own way in the world. She took on various jobs, working as a maidservant, a server in restaurants, and even helping out in kitchen restaurants, among other roles. Despite her hardships, Chunhua persevered.

One day, she came across a pamphlet advertising a maidservant position at the Liu family residence. Despite her modest expectations, Chunhua decided to try her luck. She joined the long line of hopeful candidates at the Liu family residence, nervously awaiting her turn.

When Chunhua was finally called in for the selection and questioning process, she was surprised but hopeful to be asked to return for a final test the next day. Arriving early the following morning, she waited nervously in the guest room along with the other candidates.

The luxurious guest room of the Liu family residence made Chunhua even more nervous. After waiting for hours, the candidates were called in one by one for further interviews and questioning. Eventually, they were allowed to relax and wait in the flower garden.

As Chunhua waited anxiously for the results, she noticed a young girl among the other candidates. Wondering what a child was doing there, as she seemed too young to join the maidservant selection, Chunhua speculated that the girl might be related to the Liu family. However, observing the simple and modest attire worn by the little girl, Chunhua wondered if she was instead related to one of the servants in the Liu family. The little girl approached each candidate, engaging in conversation, before finally coming to Chunhua.

"Hello, big sister," Wang Lingxin greeted with a bright smile.

"Hello, little girl. Is there something I can help you with?" Chunhua replied, returning the smile.

"Nothing, I just want to talk. By the way, my name is Wang Lingxin," Wang Lingxin introduced herself.

"My name is Chunhua," Chunhua smiled warmly.

"Big sister Chunhua, are you here to become a maidservant just like the others?" Wang Lingxin inquired.

"That's right. And what about you, little Lingxin? Do you live here?" Chunhua asked.

"No, I'm just visiting. By the way, big sister Chunhua, why do you want to work here?" Wang Lingxin questioned.

"Um, well, the payment is nice," Chunhua replied.

"Just that?" Wang Lingxin pressed further.

Chunhua smiled and gently patted Wang Lingxin's head, thinking she might be too young to understand the complexities of life. "Yes, just that, but it's not only for me," Chunhua elaborated.

"Huh? What do you mean, big sister?" Wang Lingxin was curious.

"I am an orphan, and I grew up in an orphanage. Life there was not easy. After I was old enough, I eventually left the orphanage and had to fend for myself. Seeing those kids in the orphanage reminds me of my old self and makes me want to help them, as they share the same fate as I once did. I've worked various jobs before, but the pay was barely enough for me to live, let alone support the orphanage. Working for the Liu family means I can earn more and give more to those kids in the orphanage," Chunhua explained, her smile masking a hint of sadness.

Moved by Chunhua's story, Wang Lingxin comforted her, saying, "It's okay, big sister. I'm sure you'll be accepted."

"Thank you very much," Chunhua said gratefully as she gently stroked Wang Lingxin's head. Wang Lingxin reminded her of the little girls back in the orphanage.

Wang Lingxin then excused herself. Chunhua watched as Wang Lingxin departed, still feeling nervous about the results. Unbeknownst to her, she had just passed the final test. Not long after, Chunhua's name was called, and she was instructed to enter the main hall of the Liu family. As for the other candidates, they were informed they had failed, and Chunhua could sense their envy as she walked towards her fate, her heart pounding with excitement. Entering the grand and luxurious hall, she noticed a man donned in luxurious robes, another wearing a metallic helmet, and a little girl sitting around a table. Huh, Little Lingxin? Why is she here? Chunhua wondered internally, puzzled by Wang Lingxin's presence in the main hall.

"Greetings, my name is Chunhua," she bowed courteously, feeling slightly groggy and nervous.

"Mmm... congratulations, Miss Chunhua. You have passed the test and will be accepted as a maidservant," Liu Mingzhen said warmly, his smile reassuring.

"Thank you very much," Chunhua replied with a happy smile, bowing in gratitude.

"But actually, you won't be working as a maidservant for my Liu family. You'll be serving this gentleman here," Liu Mingzhen gestured towards Orion.

"Huh?" Chunhua raised her head, confused. "But the pamphlet said it was the Liu family that was looking for a maidservant," she pointed out.

"That's correct. My name is Liu Mingzhen, the head of the Liu family branch in Fengxian City. I'm looking for a maidservant for Mr. Orion here," Liu Mingzhen clarified.

"The head of the Liu family branch?" Chunhua muttered, startled. She couldn't understand why the leader of the Liu family branch would personally meet her for a mere maidservant selection.

"Greetings, Miss Chunhua. My name is Orion," Orion introduced itself. "I am the one who is actually looking for a maidservant, and I'm using the assistance of the Liu family. Don't worry; if you work for me, the payment will still be the same as stated in the pamphlet. There are also other bonuses included. So, how about it? Will you take the job and work for me?"

"Yes, I am willing. I will work hard, Master Orion," Chunhua immediately replied, bowing. She felt a tinge of disappointment that she wouldn't be working for the Liu family. However, upon learning that working for Orion would still offer the same payment, she felt content. This meant she could provide more for the orphanage.

"Big sister Chunhua, congratulations!" Wang Lingxin waved happily from the side.

"Thank you," Chunhua smiled back at Wang Lingxin.

Orion then explained Chunhua's job scope, do's and don'ts, and presented her with the contract. Chunhua put her name on it, even though she can't read or write, she still knows how to write her name. She also put her finger mark on the contract. After finishing, Orion informed Chunhua that she could start working tomorrow. For now, she could return home, and tomorrow she could head to the residence. Chunhua would be staying in the residence and needed to prepare first. Orion even gave her the first payment in advance, for which Chunhua was grateful. She thanked Orion profusely, feeling fortunate to have found a kind master.

Chunhua then left the main hall, with Wang Lingxin accompanying her as they chatted while walking. Before parting ways, Wang Lingxin congratulating Chunhua and introducing herself as Orion's disciple who had chosen her to be the maidservant. Chunhua bowed and thanked Wang Lingxin before leaving the Liu family residence.

Meanwhile, Orion remained in the main hall with Liu Mingzhen to settle some matters. After finishing their discussions, Orion excused itself. Walking out the Liu family residence with Liu Mingzhen and Wang Lingxin, Orion thanked Liu Mingzhen for his assistance before boarding the carriage with Wang Lingxin. They headed to the commercial district.

"Now, that one thing's done, but there's still more to do," Liu Mingzhen reflected. He had agreed to cooperate with Orion on various matters and knew there was more work ahead. Recruiting a maidservant was just the beginning. Liu Mingzhen typically delegated such tasks to his underlings, but because it involved Orion, he handled it personally. He even treated Chunhua and the other candidates with politeness, despite their status as commoners and a mere maidservant. Now that Chunhua was selected as Orion's maidservant, Liu Mingzhen didn't even dare to offend her and sought to build a good relationship instead.

"Back to work," Liu Mingzhen muttered as he watched Orion's carriage disappear into the busy streets.

5