Chapter 1: Arrival At The New World
608 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silence ruled the vast expanse of space. Only the stars, distant and indifferent, bore witness as Vanguard 3, an elegant assembly of orbiter and lander, progressed on its fateful journey. Mars was its intended destination, and within the lander lay Orion, Earth's pinnacle of robotic achievement, awaiting to begin its mission.

But as the spacecraft neared the halfway point between Earth and Mars, a mysterious force gripped it. The surrounding stars became smeared trails of light, and before anyone back on Earth could comprehend the anomaly, Vanguard 3 vanished from all screens in the mission control center.

Emerging from the distortion, the orbiter found itself circling an unknown world, its systems automatically adjusting to the new orbital path. The lander, sensing solid ground below, detached and began its descent, drawn to a dense forest canopy that spread as far as its sensors could detect.

The lander touched down gently in a clearing, surrounded by towering trees with unfamiliar foliage and vibrant colors. Soft chitters and rustlings whispered of the alien wildlife hidden amongst the underbrush. Above, even the sky seemed foreign. Instead of the familiar celestial bodies of Earth or Mars, multiple moons adorned the horizon, each a different hue.

Orion activated, its systems whirring to life. "Checking the situation... current condition is very different from what Mars should be like," it declared, its voice a calm monotone.

It extended various instruments, analyzing the soil, air, and nearby flora and fauna. "Observing and analyzing plants, animals, and environment..."

Minutes felt like hours as Orion processed the vast amount of unfamiliar data. Finally, it made a startling conclusion. "Based on collected data and known celestial mappings... this is neither Earth, Mars, nor any recognized planet."

Orion paused for a moment, then raised its metallic arm, activating a communication module to contact the orbiter. "Orbiter, this is Orion. Please confirm current position and trajectory. Something has gone amiss. This is not the expected Mars environment."

Static crackled before a voice responded.

"Orion, this is the orbiter. Calculating... we are no longer in Mars' vicinity. Our current coordinates are as follows." A string of unfamiliar numbers and celestial references followed. "Please advise on your situation, Orion."

Orion processed the information. "Understood, orbiter. It seems we have entered uncharted territory. I am on the surface of an unknown world, rich in life and unfamiliar elements. I will continue to gather data and assess the situation."

As Orion pondered its next course of action, unknown to its sensors, pairs of eyes watched from the shadows. Their gaze, sharp and calculating, belonged to a creature of elegance and menace—a two-tailed wolf, its fur shimmering with an ethereal glow. The lander's arrival had not gone unnoticed.

14