Chapter 4: First Encounter With The Natives
348 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As Orion journeyed through the unfamiliar terrains of Qianzhou, it encountered numerous wonders and challenges. Whenever the landscape presented a formidable or menacing entity, Orion would strategically reroute to avoid potential confrontations. The advantage of having Orbiter's guidance meant that Orion could always determine its exact location and maintain an optimized course towards the village.
 
With each step, Orion processed and stored data, observing the plant life, terrain, and the creatures that skittered, flew, or merely watched from a distance. Its trek was unhindered by fatigue, allowing Orion to maintain a consistent pace. However, as Orion journeyed, an unexpected blip from the infrared sensor caught Orion attention.
 
From the canopy of a tree nearby, a heat signature contrasted with the ambient temperature. Zooming in with its advanced optics, Orion was startled to find what seemed like a human perched on a tree branch, keenly observing the surroundings. The silhouette was distinct, and the presence of humans in this world was a revelation. To add to the intrigue, a trail of smoke rose not too far from the figure's location.
 
Drawn towards the potential of meeting inhabitants, Orion followed the source of the smoke. Soon, Orion stumbled upon a campsite. The setting was simple: a burning firepit, tents pitched around it, and a group of individuals gathered, perhaps discussing their day's events. They bore a resemblance to Earth's Asian ethnicity, garbed in linen clothes, chain mails, helmets and animal furs, and they wield weapons such as spears, swords, bow and shields.
 
Orion was delighted by this discovery. Here was its chance to interact, learn, and perhaps find a way to communicate his purpose. Slowly, trying to appear non-threatening, Orion approached the camp, raising one hand in a universal gesture of peace.
 
"Hello, everyone. My name is Orion," Orion introduced, its voice synthesizer modulating to sound friendly and warm.
 
The humans, startled, quickly got into defensive positions, their weapons drawn. Their eyes were wide with surprise, obviously never having seen an entity like Orion before.
 
Orion continued, "I come in peace and wish to communicate."
 
A few of them exchanged glances, whispered amongst themselves, and it became apparent that there was a language barrier. They couldn't understand Orion's words. They remained on guard, watching Orion with a mix of curiosity and wariness.
 
Realizing this, Orion began employing other means to communicate: gestures, sounds, even projecting images through a small screen on the front arm, all in a bid to establish rapport.
 
And within the intricate network of Orion's AI system, a series of rapid processes initiated.
> Modifying AI module.
> New Module Development in Progress: Linguistic Analysis and Translation.
 
While Orion continued its attempts at non-verbal communication, in the background the AI system is busily working. The sounds it gathered from the humans' conversations, their intonations, sentence structures, and even their gestures, were being processed at incredible speeds. Orion was attempting to decipher their language, to find commonalities, patterns, and semantics.
 
Orion's screen projected simple images of Earth, stars, and a representation of the lander, all the while Orion's AI fine-tuned and adjusted based on the humans' reactions. Every nod, every gesture of confusion, or recognition was data, helping to refine the emergent translation module.
 
A few of the braver individuals from the group stepped forward, curiosity overriding their caution. One of them, a tall woman with a commanding presence, pointed to herself and said, "Lian."
 
Understanding the introduction, Orion pointed to himself and once more said, "Orion."
 
The situation was beginning to defuse, and the beginnings of communication were taking root. The continued exchange would undoubtedly speed up Orion's language learning process.
 
The group's initial caution gradually diminished, and soon, the atmosphere was permeated with warmth and camaraderie. Orion was beckoned to join them at the campfire. Various dishes — aromatic stews, roasted meats, and fresh fruits — were laid out on wooden platters. The smell was inviting, and Orion observed the meal with keen interest, even if he couldn’t partake in it.
 
One of the men, with a broad grin, extended a cup filled with a bubbling liquid towards Orion. Orion's sensors immediately analyzed it: some kind of fermented drink, possibly alcoholic to humans.
 

"Thank you, but I don't require sustenance," Orion replied, trying to be as gracious as possible. A sense of accomplishment welled up within Orion's system; it had managed to establish a friendly encounter and even got invited to join their gathering.

The man shrugged, taking a long gulp of the drink himself and laughing heartily. Music began to drift in the air, a soft, lilting tune played on flutes and stringed instruments. The atmosphere turned lively with the group in high spirits, laughing, joking, and sharing stories.

Amid the laughter and the lively atmosphere, a few members of the group began to engage Orion in conversation, using a mix of simple words and expressive hand gestures.
 
Through a series of questions, gestures, and simple words, it became apparent to the bandits how rapidly Orion was adapting and understanding their language. The initial disjointed and fragmented exchanges slowly became more coherent. The group marveled at Orion's learning speed, their surprise evident.
 
However, not all reactions were innocent. Every so often, when they thought Orion wasn’t looking, members of the group would exchange furtive glances, their eyes gleaming with a mix of greed and mischief. These were no simple villagers; their intentions were far from benign.
 
When Orion responded to a particularly complex question, showing off its newly acquired language skills, the bandits burst into applause. But, beneath the surface, the danger was palpable. Their true motives would soon become evident.
 
Unbeknownst to Orion, it had stumbled upon not a group of ordinary villagers, but a band of cunning bandits. While they laughed and celebrated on the surface, underneath, plans were being hatched. Orion, from the look of it just like a normal human that wear exquisite full body armor from head to toe. Its foreign yet elegant appearance, combined with what seemed to be an unknown but high-quality metal, made the bandits believe that it could fetch a handsome price in the market. They could already picture the fortune they could amass by selling such a piece. The bandits intended to feign friendship, only to strike when Orion least expected it.
 
Yet, even as they schemed, there was an undercurrent of unease. Orion's rapid grasp of their language, his keen observations, and the unknown capabilities he might possess, kept some of the bandits wary. Would their plan succeed without a hitch? Or were they biting off more than they could chew?
 
15