Chapter 10: Robbing the Robbers
270 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orion returned to the camp, the scent of blood wafting through the air. Approaching Hu's dead body, Orion referenced the video recording of their previous encounter, captured by its optics, to carry out a detailed analysis. In the slowed and magnified footage, Orion discerned that during the fight, as the blade seemed to materialize from nowhere, Hu's ring on his right-hand finger glowed faintly. The blade then appeared, and Hu managed to grasp it, successfully parrying Orion's strike and preventing a fatal blow.

Orion carefully picked up the ring from Hu's finger. "Is the blade's appearance connected to this ring? How does it function?" As Orion analyzed the ring closely, it found nothing unusual; the ring appeared to be an ordinary piece of jewelry. Orion slid the ring onto one of its fingers on the right hand, expecting some reaction. When none came, it humorously swiped at the ring, mimicking the gesture of summoning a genie from a magical lamp, but to no avail.

On a whimsical thought, Orion touched the ring to an exposed cable on its left hand where the insulation was damaged, revealing the metallic conductor. It channeled electricity through the cable and into the ring. To its astonishment, the ring began to glow and, almost immediately, a vast array of items spilled out, engulfing Orion. "Uwahhh..." Orion exclaimed in surprise, the unexpected deluge causing it to topple backward, half-buried under the assortment of objects.

"Ouch! What just happened? Is this some form of sorcery? Why did so many items emerge all at once? Could this truly be magic?" Orion murmured, struggling to free itself from the mound of mysterious objects.

Orion eventually extricated itself from the pile of items, standing amidst a vast assortment of treasures. Spread out before it were gold coins, ornate jewelry, gem-encrusted accessories, large animal pelts, bones, claws, fangs, an array of weapons, jars, bottles, scrolls, cuts of meat, fresh fruits, unknown minerals, and more.

"Wow, that was interesting," Orion remarked, fascinated by the sudden appearance of such items. Curiously, it tried touching the ring to the exposed cable once more and channeled electricity. The ring glowed, but this time, nothing happened.

"Oh... nothing emerged? No more items from the ring?" Orion's computational systems began to churn, attempting to decode the anomaly. "Could it be that these items were stored in the ring, and by channeling electricity, they were ejected? But how does one store items in the ring in the first place?"

Experimentally, Orion picked up a gold coin, examining it closely. Holding the coin between its thumb and index finger, Orion once again brought the ring into contact with the cable, channeling electricity. As the ring glowed, Orion dropped the coin onto it. Magically, the coin disappeared.

"Wow, how does that work?" Orion pondered, trying to rationalize the arcane mechanism. Holding the ring close to its visual sensors for examination, Orion couldn't detect any trace of the vanished coin. As a final test, Orion connected the ring to the cable once more, and with a brief spark, a gold coin tumbled out, landing softly on the ground.

"...", Orion fell silent, grappling with the implications of what it had just witnessed. Despite its advanced computational abilities and grounding in Earth's physics and logic, it couldn't rationalize the magical phenomenon. Was it mind-blown? Or perhaps, more aptly, processor-blown?

"I see... so it's a storage tool? Could this be the storied 'storage ring' commonly mentioned in mangas, novels, and games from Earth? To think that such a concept actually exists in this world," Orion mused, its systems attempting to cross-reference and align this newfound knowledge with its database of Earth's fictional lore it had stored.

Orion continued to experiment with the ring, further deciphering its intriguing mechanisms. Through systematic trials, Orion deduced the following:

To harness the ring's capabilities, it had to employ electricity. When a short electric jolt or pulse was directed into the ring, any items in close proximity or in direct contact with the ring were sucked into its storage dimension. However, there was a crucial stipulation: the item being stored had to be completely free of any attachments. For instance, the very cable providing the electricity, despite being in contact with the ring, wasn't absorbed because it remained connected to Orion.

Furthermore, this brief electric pulse opened a momentary portal or passage to the storage dimension inside the ring. But it was so transient that while items could be pulled in, the contents inside the ring didn't have enough time to fall out. It was as if they teetered on the edge of the opened passage, but then it would snap shut too quickly for them to emerge.

On the other hand, when Orion applied a longer jolt or sustained pulse of electricity, the passage within the ring remained open for a more extended period. This duration was sufficient for all the stored items to cascade out, releasing them back into the world.

However, Orion still faced a problem: it didn't know how to extract specific items from the ring, a skill Hu had demonstrated earlier.

Upon utilizing its cable to send electrical pulses into the ring, Orion's processor registered unexpected electrical feedback each time an item was stored. This feedback wasn't arbitrary; the ring appeared to be generating a unique electrical "signature" for every item, consistent each time the same item was introduced to the ring.

Orion's processor meticulously recorded each of these electrical signatures. Further testing revealed a notable feature: by replicating and sending back a stored signature via a short jolt, the ring would not store, but rather release the exact item linked to that signature.

This revelation was pivotal. Orion had not only deciphered the method to store items in the ring but also developed a precise mechanism to retrieve specific items when needed. This interaction further showcased the harmonization of the ring's arcane qualities with Orion's technological capabilities, symbolizing the convergence of ancient magic and advanced machinery.

In truth, these storage rings were commonly used by cultivators. They would typically channel their inner Qi to operate the ring, using their intent to access specific items. But Orion, in a unique twist of fate, had managed to operate the ring using electricity. This wasn't just a mere coincidence. Orion's batteries were constantly recharged by a mysterious energy present in its surroundings, which was, in fact, the ambient Qi. As a result, the electricity flowing through Orion's circuits contained traces of Qi, enabling it to interact with the ring in ways traditional cultivators might not have anticipated.

Orion was elated, "this is great and very helpful!" With newfound enthusiasm, Orion began inspecting the bandits' tents. Over the next hour, Orion meticulously examined everything in the camp, including the bodies of the fallen bandits. Anything that seemed interesting or useful was promptly stored in the ring. Additionally, Orion made sure to collect and store back the items that had previously fallen out of the ring. 

Orion justified taking the bandits' possessions as both compensation for their unprovoked attack and as customary spoils of war. You guys deserve it, who asked you to attack and try to rob me in the first place? As it turned over a bandit's body to check his belongings.

During its investigation, Orion discovered two fabric pouches on Lian's body that resisted being stored in the ring. Unable to open them initially, Orion, after some consideration, decided to apply electricity to the pouches. Much to its surprise, a deluge of items erupted from the pouch, knocking Orion off its feet and partially burying it. "Arghhh..." Orion exclaimed, taken aback. "Is this also a storage tool?"

After emptying both pouches, Orion found that the items stored within were meticulously organized. Lian had clearly taken great care in arranging her possessions. All the gold was neatly secured in a sack, while numerous jars, bottles, and scrolls were each placed with care and precision. Among the contents, Orion noted neatly folded fabrics, women's clothing, a few weapons, and a specially designed box brimming with jewelry.

Picking up a piece of the female clothing, Orion expressed surprise, "Oh wow... The design, the quality, and how it emphasizes certain features... this could even rival some of the best products from Earth!" Orion mused, appreciating the craftsmanship. It became evident that Lian knew exactly what appealed to Hu. Given the variety and design of the clothing, it seemed she had a comprehensive collection tailored to Hu's particular... tastes, indicating that Hu was, in some respects, a man of culture.

Another section of the pouch held bottles that, upon closer inspection, appeared to be filled with pills. The meticulously organized contents portrayed Lian as not just a bandit but one with a refined edge, adding layers to her rogue lifestyle. In stark contrast, Hu's storage ring was a chaotic jumble—filled with a random assortment of items, devoid of any order or system.

The sun positioned itself directly overhead, signaling 12 PM. Orion adhered to a 24-hour system reminiscent of Earth's, though here, an hour stretched out just a tad longer. Once the bandits' belongings were gathered, Orion promptly extinguished the campfire to avert the danger of forest fires.

Inside a compartment in its chest, it stored both the ring and the two pouches brimming with loot. In addition, Orion placed its severed left forearm into the ring, planning to repair the damage properly once in the village. Moreover, Orion carried a separate, ordinary pouch filled with copper, silver, and gold coins. As for its attire, Orion was clad in a straightforward ensemble: pants, a long shirt, a hooded cloak, and a bamboo hat. Dangling from Orion's waist was a plain blade, once the possession of one of Hu's underlings, with a knife strapped to each thigh.

Intentionally, Orion refrained from using Hu's distinctive blade and Lian's spear to stay under the radar, as their quality and design might easily be recognized, drawing unwanted attention.

Fully prepared, Orion set out for the village, estimating an arrival before sunset. After having taken anything of value, Orion left the campsite, with the bandits' bodies strewn about, allowing them to become sustenance for the forest's residents.

14