Chapter 14: Cultivators: The Walking 5G
306 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sudden discovery of 5G signals emitted by the cultivators baffled Orion. Its processors worked feverishly to understand the anomaly but reached no satisfactory explanation. Concluding that gathering more information was the best approach, Orion signaled a young server to approach.

"Yes, how may I assist you, sir?" the server asked politely.

"I have some questions," Orion replied in its synthesized voice.

"Of course, sir."

Orion subtly inclined its head toward a table where four individuals sat, "Do you recognize those four men over there? Are they cultivators?"

"Oh, those gentlemen? Yes, they are indeed cultivators and members of the Mercenary Guild. They frequent our establishment," the server informed.

Orion processed this, then further inquired, "Do they possess a device that allows them to communicate over long distances? Perhaps a device that's rectangular, about this size?" Orion illustrated the approximate size with its hands.

The server appeared contemplative for a moment before replying, "Communication device? Are you referring to a communication talisman?"

"Communication talisman?" Orion echoed, intrigued. "Could you describe its appearance and function?"

The server elaborated, "Cultivators use communication talismans to converse over vast distances. A basic talisman can reach someone in a neighboring city. Higher-grade talismans boast even greater ranges, some even reaching the capital city from this very location. However, it's not rectangular like you mentioned. It's more paper-like in nature."

Huh... paper? Orion mused internally, struggling to relate this to any known technology or device. "Do those men possess a communication talisman?"

The server hesitated slightly, "Well, I can't be certain, but it's unlikely. Communication talismans are a luxury. Usually, only those with advanced cultivation level or significant stature own them. For a low-level cultivator, purchasing such a talisman is out of reach. On rare occasions, they might find one during their adventures in a hidden cave abode or left behind by a deceased cultivator. However, they often prefer to sell it, obtaining other cultivation resources that are more beneficial to their cultivation. At least, that's what I've heard from our patrons."

Orion processed this, "So, not all cultivators have access to a communication talisman."

"Exactly, sir. In Lianfen, perhaps only our Mercenary Guild leader might own such an item. Even then, it would likely be reserved for emergencies to contact the main branch of the Mercenary Guild," the server elaborated.

Orion posed another query, "Isn't there another method for long-distance communication besides the communication talisman?"

The server shrugged, "As far as I know, there isn't any. However, I'm just a mere mortal, and my knowledge comes from what I've heard from the customers, so I might be wrong."

"Understood. Thank you for the information," Orion responded, extending three copper coins towards the server.

The server's eyes brightened with gratitude. "Thank you, sir! If you need anything else, just let me know," he replied before attending to other patrons.

Orion pondered internally, trying to unravel this mystery. So they don't have devices like smartphones and instead use communication talismans for long-range communication? How does that function? Does the paper itself emit the radio signals? The server mentioned that not every cultivator has a communication talisman and in this village, probably only the guild master possesses one. Yet, why are all the cultivators emitting radio signals? Could it mean that the signal source isn't originating from the talisman?

A few minutes passed, but Orion couldn't draw any conclusions. It continued to silently observe the cultivators using its optics, constantly monitoring their radio signal emissions. By replaying previous data, analyzing information, and multitasking its calculations, Orion finally managed to discern something.

It seems that cultivators emitting higher frequency radio signals tend to be more respected, with some even appearing as leaders of their groups, Orion concluded. Does this mean the signals are directly related to the cultivators themselves, rather than emanating from an object as I initially presumed? Still uncertain, Orion decided, I need to gather more information to confirm this.

After a while, Orion's order was ready and neatly wrapped. After settling the bill, Orion picked up the packaged food and decided to head towards the guild building.

The guild building was big. Upon entering the main hall, Orion observed a significant crowd. Numerous tables and chairs spanned a large area, with many cultivators seated and dining. Several boards adorned the walls, displaying jobs, requests, and the like. Another board listed items available for purchase from the guild, primarily sourced from the Yuezhi Forest – these included medicinal plants, parts from animals and spirit beasts, ores, pills, weapons, and more. There were also multiple receptionist tables catering to various needs: one for customers issuing missions, another for mercenaries accepting missions, and yet another for those looking to exchange their contribution points for resources, among other services.

Orion observed everything and headed towards the mission board, scanning its contents. It then proceeded to the materials/items board and checked out several other boards that provided information, such as details about spirit beasts commonly found in the Yuezhi Forest, general guild information, and more.

One of the cultivators observed Orion closely. He noticed Orion examining all the boards on the wall, standing there silently, reading them, appearing somewhat lost. The cultivator approached Orion. "Hello, is there something I can assist you with?" he asked with a smile.

"I was just checking things out. It's my first time entering a mercenary guild building, and I'm quite impressed," responded Orion.

"That's surprising. Most locals have visited the guild at least once. Are you new to Lianfen village?" inquired the cultivator.

"I'm a traveler from a distant place," replied Orion.

"A traveler, huh? Well, welcome to Lianfen village and to our mercenary guild. If you need any assistance, our guild is here to help. You can issue a mission, or if you've obtained valuable items during your travels, you can sell them to the receptionist over there. Oh, by the way, my name is Xian," introduced the cultivator.

"My name is Orion," responded Orion.

"Well then, if there's nothing else, I'll be on my way. Feel free to look around, and if you have any questions or need help regarding the guild, don't hesitate to ask me," concluded Xian.

"How many members are in this guild?" Orion inquired.

Xian pondered for a moment before responding, "Around a hundred or so, I believe."

"And how many are currently in the guild building?" asked Orion.

"Hmm, probably about 30," Xian estimated. "Are you looking to issue a mission? If you need an escort during your journey or if you want something from the forest, you can specifically request my group. We're quite experienced," Xian said, promoting his team with a smile.

"Can you tell me more about your group?" Orion inquired.

"Of course," Xian began, pointing towards a table where four individuals were seated. "That's my team right there. The man in red is our leader, Ling Feng. He's a cultivator at the 3rd stage of the Qi Condensation realm. The dwarf is Bao Chu, who's reached the 2nd stage of Qi Condensation. The Nocturne in the hooded cloak is Zhen Shen, he's also at the 2nd stage of Qi Condensation realm. And the guy with the long hair? That's Ming Tao, who's in the same realm as me, at the 1st stage of Qi Condensation realm."

"They look strong and dependable. By the way, who is the strongest mercenary in the guild?" Orion asked.

"That would be Li Wei. He's at the 6th stage of the Foundation Establishment realm," Xian replied. "That's him over there," Xian added, pointing to a man sitting alone at a table, his sword laid out before him.

"Is he also the strongest person in the guild?" Orion inquired further.

"No, that would be our guild master. He's at the 8th stage of the Foundation Establishment realm," Xian explained.

"I see. Thank you. If I need more help or decide to issue a mission, I'll remember your group," Orion said.

"Hehe, no problem. I'll excuse myself then," Xian replied.

From its brief interaction with Xian, Orion gleaned valuable insights. Orion deduced that the radio signals emanated directly from the cultivators. With about 30 of them present in the building, the count of these signal sources aligned well.

The signals seemed to correlate with their cultivation levels: 1 GHz for the 1st stage of the Qi Condensation realm, 2 GHz for the 2nd stage, and 3 GHz for the 3rd. For those in the Foundation Establishment realm, 16 GHz signified the 6th stage, while 18 GHz likely indicated the 8th stage, presumably the guild master currently on the second floor. Orion began discerning a pattern. Those emitting lower frequencies, or with weaker cultivation bases, displayed more respect when interacting with individuals emitting higher frequencies or possessing a higher cultivation base.

Internally, Orion mused, So, my hypothesis was correct: the cultivators themselves are the sources of these radio signals!

14