Chapter 17: Wolves’ Ambush
220 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The atmosphere in the carriage was lively as passengers engaged in animated conversations, covering a wide variety of topics. Orion listened quietly, enjoying the discourse and occasionally contributing to the discussion. The caravan had already traveled a significant distance from Lianfen and was now traversing a forested area. With sunset approaching, they needed to reach the designated rest area before nightfall.

An SO-1 drone, hovering about 150 meters above the ground, scanned the vicinity of the caravan. Suddenly, through its thermal camera, it detected multiple heat signatures moving toward the caravan in what seemed to be an ambush formation, circling the group. As these heat sources drew closer, the drone switched to its high-resolution day camera, and identified them as a pack of wolves. They had encircled the caravan and seemed poised for an ambush.

From within the horse-drawn carriage, Orion, who was remotely operating the drone, became instantly aware of the impending danger. "We are surrounded," it announced, its head turning to face the tree line beside the road.

Upon hearing Orion's statement, the other passengers and caravan guards, previously engaged in their own conversations and tasks, paused and turned their attention to Orion.

"Surrounded by what?" one of the passengers inquired.

"Wolves," Orion responded.

"Are you sure about that? How many are there?" A caravan guard asked, approaching Orion with a hint of anxiety in his voice. He scanned the surroundings, seeing no immediate signs of a wolf pack. How can this passenger detect them? Could his spiritual sense really reach that far? Gasp! That suggests his cultivation base might be incredibly high, perhaps even surpassing the leader's, the guard thought to himself.

"There are approximately 36 wolves surrounding us, and they are closing in," Orion detailed.

"Everyone, halt!" The leader of the guards, Li Jun, commanded the caravan to stop after hearing Orion's warning. He guided his horse closer to Orion's carriage. "What is your name? Is what you said true? Can you provide more details?" Li Jun studied Orion intently, attempting to gauge his cultivation level but found himself unable to discern any signs of it.

"My name is Orion, and indeed, we are being surrounded by a pack of wolves: 20 on the right side of the road and 16 on the left. Furthermore, there are 6 additional wolves waiting at a distance on the left," Orion informed.

Li Jun focused intently, sharpening his ears, eyes, and extending his spiritual sense, trying to detect the wolves. For a while, he couldn't sense anything. However, as he continued to focus, he began to discern faint movements behind the tree line and among the bushes. Recognizing the figures as wolves, he was taken aback. Orion's senses were sharper than his own, perhaps Orion's spiritual sense surpassed even Li Jun's.

"Wolves! Assume battle formation! Zhang Feng, take the right flank!" Li Jun commanded.

The guards swiftly moved to the center of the caravan, positioning themselves near the carriages carrying the passengers. On the right, two guards were led by Zhang Feng, while on the left, Li Jun led the remaining two guards on the left flank. The atmosphere grew tense as passengers became increasingly worried and anxious about the looming threat. Some, including Orion, disembarked from the carriages, choosing to actively participate in the defense against the approaching wolves.

Attacks by wolves on caravans weren't uncommon. While such skirmishes sometimes resulted in casualties, it was rare for an entire caravan to be slaughtered. In most cases, the defenders could repel the wolves. Even an average individual armed with a weapon stood a fighting chance against a wolf after a bit of a struggle. For cultivators like Li Jun and Zhang Feng, facing up to three wolves simultaneously was manageable. However, the real threat in such packs was often the presence of a wolf spirit beast, typically of at least Rank-1. While the regular wolves could be dealt with relatively easily, the spirit beast posed a more significant challenge.

Before long, the wolves revealed themselves, emerging from behind trees and bushes. They growled menacingly at the caravan's defenders, who stood their ground around the carriages. The caravan was entirely encircled, and given the sheer number of wolves, it was evident that this wouldn't be an easy battle.

"Prepare for battle! Stick close to one another; cover and support those beside you. Once we kill enough of them, they'll halt their attack and retreat," Li Jun commanded, his voice exuding the confidence and experience of someone familiar with wolf attacks.

The tension filled the air as the guards and several passengers drew their weapons in preparation. Faces were slick with sweat and etched with worry. Suddenly, a long and powerful howl pierced the air from behind the trees, likely from the pack leader, signaling the wolves to commence their assault.

Shouts, battle cries, whimpers, growls, and screams echoed throughout the battlefield as blood splattered, staining the ground red. Humans thrust, swung, and stabbed their weapons at the advancing wolves, who responded by charging fearlessly, aiming to bite down on any available target.

Amidst this chaos, Orion, using its blade, fought alongside the guards and passengers. Its actions varied from distracting wolves to delivering fatal blows, consistently alleviating the pressure on the guards. Employing minimal yet efficient movements, Orion slashed and kicked at the wolves. Hovering above, a drone captured the chaotic scene, granting Orion a strategic overview of the battlefield. This allowed Orion to intervene wherever a guard was in dire straits. To an observer, Orion's demeanor might seem almost nonchalant or lazy in the midst of battle, but to the guards, it epitomized an expert with precise and effective movements, always ready to strike or assist.

As a robot, Orion lacked fear, anxiety, or nervousness, allowing it to consistently operate at peak performance and make optimal judgments. In contrast, humans, being susceptible to the influences of emotion and external conditions, could have their judgment clouded, leading to potential mistakes in such intense situations. Orion's calm demeanor, combined with its sharp senses—evident from its earlier detection of the wolves—set it apart. Such qualities led the guards and other passengers to believe that Orion is an expert with high cultivation base.

As the battle wore on, more and more wolves fell. Fortunately, the defenders only sustained minor injuries. From behind the trees, a figure emerged—a massive wolf, possibly the pack leader, accompanied by five others. This creature, with its two tails, was even larger than the two-tailed wolf Orion had previously encountered upon its arrival to this planet. Sensing the presence of their leader, the remaining wolves ceased their assault and retreated towards it.

Wolves that embark on the path of cultivation evolve into Rank-1 spirit beasts, recognizable by their two tails. As their cultivation progresses, they grow additional tails.

Agitated by the loss of so many of its pack, the two-tailed wolf growled menacingly, its eyes bloodshot and fangs exposed.

"Careful! gather around me," Li Jun ordered, signaling his men to form up beside him, facing a spirit beast they need to be careful.

"Boss, can you handle that two-tailed wolf?" an underling asked Li Jun.

"It's just a Rank-1 spirit beast. Don't fret. Focus on defending against the other wolves; I'll take care of the big one. Once it's down, the rest will retreat," Li Jun assured.

"Do you need assistance?" Zhang Feng inquired.

"No, hold the line and defend," commanded Li Jun.

The tension was palpable. On one side, wolves snarled, baring their teeth and dripping saliva, ready to pounce. On the opposite end, the caravan's defenders gripped their weapons, some visibly anxious, while others remained composed.

Then, leading the charge was the two-tailed wolf, with the entire pack swiftly following. Dust rose in thick clouds as they charged, reminiscent of a surging flood attempting to break through a fragile dam—representing the caravan's defensive line.

"Attack!" shouted Li Jun. Dashing forward, his sword shimmered, enveloped in a menacing blue glow, as he swung it mightily towards the two-tailed wolf.

From the sidelines, Orion observed intently, a sense of envy evident in its systems. Now, it had come to understand the nature of the glowing weapons. In essence, they were combat techniques. What Li Jun employed was a sword technique that, by channeling Qi, amplified both the strength and sharpness of the weapon.

Orion recalled its confrontation with Hu's bandit group. Hu had utilized a saber technique, reinforced with Qi, that could effortlessly slice through Orion's steel frame. Similarly, Lian had a spear technique that manifested fire damage.

Orion had made attempts to harness such techniques. From a scroll retrieved from Lian's storage, it had meticulously studied the spear technique. However, success remained elusive. The technique required channeling Qi into the weapon, a process unfamiliar to Orion. Furthermore, as a robot, Orion lacked the dantian—a specific energy center within cultivators that stored Qi. As a result, Orion could only observe with a certain longing. Possessing such abilities would undoubtedly elevate its combat prowess.

Li Jun battled fiercely with the two-tailed wolf. Despite its speed and strength, the wolf's attacks were predictable—mostly straightforward charges and lunges. Li Jun masterfully dodged or blocked each assault, inflicting numerous minor wounds on the creature.

Suddenly, the wolf gaped its jaws wide, lunging directly at Li Jun in an attempt to deliver a lethal bite. Just as Li Jun was preparing to sidestep and counter, the wolf's eyes blazed with a mysterious light and its body emitted a chilling dark red aura. It then unleashed a deafening howl.

Caught off guard, Li Jun dropped his sword, clutching his ears in agony and collapsing to his knees. His expression was one of sheer torment. It seemed to be a spirit beast skill—the howl was not only loud but also carried an intense intimidating pressure. Those with weak wills were most affected. The situation for the other defenders was even direr: many fell unconscious, while some peed themselves. However, the other wolves remained unaffected. With the defenders in such a vulnerable state, the pack seized the opportunity, charging in to attack the defenseless humans.

Fortunately, one member of the caravan group remained unaffected by the howl. "Damn it," Orion muttered. Swiftly, Orion discarded its saber and pulled out several metallic canisters, from the storage ring. Orion hurled them in the directions of the incoming wolves and directly at the two-tailed wolf, aiming to intercept the onslaught of the approaching pack.

Seeing a lone human throw seemingly harmless objects, the wolves weren't deterred. The two-tailed wolf almost seemed to smirk at Orion's actions. Internally, it sneered something like, what are you even trying? Do you believe those puny objects will deter us? It stood its ground confidently, not even attempting to dodge.

To the wolves' astonishment and dismay, the canisters erupted into plumes of brown smoke upon impact with the ground. Almost instantly, they were engulfed in an excruciating pain. Their eyes and noses burned fiercely, stinging with pain. Their distress was palpable as they howled in agony, tears streaming uncontrollably. The wolves rolled on the ground, sprinted about in disarray, shook their heads violently, and frantically tried to rub their faces to alleviate the pain. The scene was chaotic, filled with whines and pitiable yelps of distress.

The once mighty pack of wolves now resembled a pitiful group of street dogs, with even the powerful two-tailed wolf rolling on the ground in agony. Although Orion felt a pang of sympathy, it recognized the necessity of self-defense. In the future, if a friendlier wolf crosses its path, Orion would love to offer belly rubs and head pats. But for now, Orion just wants to take a moment to relish in the distinct cacophony of the wolf pack's distress.

11