Chapter 22: Evolution
163 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As midnight settled over the Liu family estate, Orion sat motionless inside a guesthouse, its systems operating at full capacity in silence.

"It changed again..." Orion mused. Engaged in its routine system diagnostics each night, it had detected some changes. The robot's processing capability had improved, resulting in quicker computations and enhanced data handling. The battery now had a longer lifespan, and its internal wiring and circuits were more efficient. Furthermore, its sensors and various electrical components seemed to be working at an elevated level. Though these upgrades were subtle, thanks to Orion's regular diagnostics, it could recognize the shifts by comparing with previous data.

The drone Orion often used also exhibited similar enhancements in its microprocessor, electrical circuitry, cabling, sensors, other electronic components, and battery. Curious, Orion retrieved an unused microprocessor and battery from its storage ring for comparison and testing. The difference was clear: the new components maintained their original, factory-standard performance, contrasting sharply with the improved ones in the drone.

"Could it be that extended exposure to this world leads to some sort of... evolution or growth?" Orion wondered. "If that's the case, does this evolution have a limit?" Keen to understand more, Orion initiated a series of experiments.

After extensive analysis, Orion concluded that the hardware enhancements – like the processor, electrical circuits, battery, sensors, and more – depended solely on their exposure to the environment of the planet. When these parts were kept in the storage ring or storage pouch, their evolution ceased. Additionally, the Orbiter circling the planet showed no changes, hinting that these enhancements were connected to the planet's atmosphere or surface.

The exact cause might be unclear, but Orion appreciated the benefits. "Considering this is a cultivation world, it's riddled with mysteries. Even a robot like me can grow. I'm curious if I can develop a dantian and start on the path of cultivation," Orion pondered. Strengthening itself was crucial for survival, and becoming a cultivator could be one approach. Yet, the foundation for cultivation was typically a spiritual root. As a robot, Orion questioned if it had one – probably not.

Unbeknownst to Orion, the ambient Qi that saturated the surroundings played a critical role. As Orion's and the drone's batteries continually absorbed this ambient Qi, converting it into electricity, they inadvertently imbued the electricity with traces of Qi. Consequently, the components in contact with this Qi-infused electricity were nourished and enhanced.

"Maybe I can create an artificial dantian? I wonder if that's possible," Orion mused. Retrieving the spirit beast core obtained from the two-tailed wolf from the storage ring, Orion began to observe and analyze it. Recognizing that the spirit beast core functioned similarly to a cultivator's dantian, Orion added this intriguing question to its list of research topics.

In another section of the Liu family estate, Liu Jian sat on the edge of his bed in his room. His father was at the table, pouring himself a cup of tea. "Tell me everything that happened, especially about those three individuals, particularly the one named Orion," Liu Ming instructed.

Liu Jian promptly recounted the events to his father. Once he finished, Liu Ming nodded, "Rest well," he said and left the room.

In a dimly lit corridor, Liu Ming walked. Suddenly, a figure dressed entirely in black and wearing a mask materialized behind him. "How is it going?" Liu Ming inquired.

"Reporting to the Patriarch, Li Jun and Xin Qiu are identified as caravan guards often operating around Yanjing City. We've even employed their services at our stores, and there's nothing suspicious about them. As for Orion, information is limited. He was first spotted in Lianfen Village and has been seen entering and exiting the Yuezhi Forest multiple times. It appears he originates from a distant place; upon his arrival at the village, he faced some difficulties with our language. Apart from purchasing a variety of items, he hasn't undertaken any significant actions," the masked figure reported.

"Mmm...," Liu Ming nodded, then inquired, "Have you investigated the forest?"

"Yes, we've conducted a thorough sweep. There are indications of a conspiracy. The area where the young master was attacked is generally considered safe, and it's rare to find Rank-2 Vermillion Clawed Bear there. It seems the bears were led to that spot intentionally. However, whoever is behind this was meticulous; we've been unable to uncover any substantial leads or information," the masked figure responded.

They continued walking until they reached a room. On a table inside, several items were laid out: a shattered blade, a spear, several small metallic canisters, and a cylindrical tank that had been cut open into several pieces. These were the tools that Orion had used previously in the confrontation against the bear.

"We retrieved these from the scene. It seems they were used to fight against the bear," the masked figure reported.

Liu Ming, examining the items with keen interest, particularly the canister and the dissected cylinder, inquired, "What do you know about these metallic objects?"

"We're uncertain of the material and how its made, but the quality suggests they were likely made by a skilled and seasoned blacksmith, but I don't think any blacksmith in this kingdom able to make it" replied the masked figure.

Liu Ming nodded, "Keep a close watch on the armored man. You may leave now."

With a bow, the masked figure vanished from the room.

"Interesting," Liu Ming mused. The armored individual named Orion was an enigma. Despite Liu Ming's advanced cultivation at the 5th stage of the Golden Core realm, he couldn't deduce Orion's cultivation level. To the outside observer, Orion appeared almost mortal. He battled like one, when using his weapons, he didn't imbue them with Qi and often resorting to strategies and tricks.

Yet there were inconsistencies. Orion could utilize a storage ring, a tool typically reserved for cultivators, not mortals. His struggle against a mere Rank-2 spirit beast suggested he might be a low-level cultivator but Liu Ming's inability to detect any cultivation base from him implied the opposite: Orion might possess a cultivation far surpassing Liu Ming's own.

Further deepening the mystery was Orion's behavior. Throughout their journey and the banquet, Orion hadn't consumed any food or drink. This behavior was characteristic of cultivators at the Golden Core realm or higher, as they could sustain themselves solely by absorbing Qi. Additionally, Orion seemed to possess a very long-range spiritual sense, further solidifying the idea that Orion is at least at the Golden Core realm.

Orion was a puzzle wrapped in contradictions. He displayed characteristics of a mortal, a low-level cultivator, and a high-level cultivator, all at once. Liu Ming was left grappling with these mysteries, unable to draw a definitive conclusion.

In the guesthouse Orion worked hard all night, doing repairs, making things, checking data, making plans, reading books and scrolls, and conducting research.  Maintaining a high level of productivity without the need for rest. When morning came, Orion left the guesthouse, ready to see more of Yanjing City. The city was much bigger than Lianfen Village, and Orion looked forward to going to the market to buy interesting items and materials it needed.

Orion met Li Jun and Xin Qiu, who both looked really happy, smiling non-stop. But they also looked tired, with dark circles under their eyes and seeming a bit weaker than the day before. Orion wasn't sure why, but it was clear they were in good spirits.

They told Orion that the Liu family had given them a big reward for helping save Liu Jian. Since they had always been poor cultivators, this reward was a big deal for them. They could now afford things they had only dreamt of before and were optimistic about what lay ahead. With their new wealth in gold, spirit stones, and medicine pills, they believed they could boost their cultivation progress.

Li Jun and Xin Qiu knew that this good luck mainly came because of Orion's help in saving Liu Jian. They were glad to have been a part of it, even if just a little, and were thankful for the big reward.

They thanked Orion, said their goodbyes, and left the Liu family's place, looking forward to what was next.

Just as Orion considered its next move, a servant approached, extending an invitation to the main hall where Patriarch Liu awaited. After a brief exchange of pleasantries and some light conversation, Patriarch Liu rewarded Orion with a storage ring. Gratefully acknowledging the gesture, Orion expressed its intent to explore Yanjing City. With a nod from the patriarch, Orion departed from the Liu family estate.

The vastness of Yanjing City was evident as Orion roamed its streets. From morning until sunset, the robot tirelessly traversed various parts of the city, yet it felt as if it had covered just a fraction of the whole. Along its journey, Orion visited numerous shops and stalls, purchasing a variety of items. It interacted with the city's diverse populace, acquiring fresh information and insights from the many conversations.

As evening settled, Orion made its way back to the Liu family estate and to the designated guest house. Yet again, two beautiful maidens were sent to Orion's quarters, along with an offering of dinner. And just like before, Orion politely declined both the company and the food, opting for solitude.

Having sorted through the items it had purchased from the market, Orion's attention now shifted to the storage ring gifted by Patriarch Liu. "I wonder what kind of rewards are inside," Orion mused. Without spiritual sense, Orion couldn't inspect the ring's contents directly, so it proceeded to unload all of the contents inside. There were chests filled with gold, others brimming with silver, and some packed with spiritual stones. Several ceramic bottles contained pills. While the variety wasn't vast, the quantities were substantial. "Nice," Orion remarked.

After examining the items, Orion stored them back into the storage ring. It planned to modify one of its fingers that evening to accommodate the new ring, ensuring swift access to its contents.

9