Chapter 26: Wolframite
201 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orion, Wang Lingxin, and Liu Jian arrived at Luo Fengwei's workshop, a rather large but simple establishment. The workshop buzzed with activity as numerous humans, dwarfs, and giants blacksmiths, all of them Luo Fengwei's disciples, were diligently at work. Some were forging and hammering, while others worked at various foundry stations, heating the metal before shaping it into weapons and armor. The workshop was a scene of organized chaos, with scattered ores, tools, and many finished weapons and armors displayed on the walls and tables.

The temperature inside the workshop was hot, the air filled with the searing heat of the furnaces, used to heat the metal before shaping and crafting it into various weapons and armor.

Behind it is Luo Fengwei's house, a simple and rather small wooden structure. Actually, Luo Fengwei could have a large and luxurious mansion if he wanted, considering his status as the most famous blacksmith in the city and a Golden Core realm cultivator. Money wouldn't be a problem; it's simply a matter of personal taste.

As they approached the workshop, one of Luo Fengwei's dwarf disciples warmly greeted them, recognizing Liu Jian as the young master of the Liu family.

Liu Jian expressed his intention to meet with Luo Fengwei, and the disciple replied with an uncomfortable expression, "Forgive me, Young Master Liu, but maybe today is not a good time to meet Master."

Liu Jian inquired, "Oh, is Mr. Luo busy?"

The disciple hesitated and replied, "Uhhh... no, actually, Master is quite free."

Liu Jian was puzzled, "Huh? Then why can't we meet him?"

The disciple explained, "It's like this, Young Master Liu..." He described how, for about a week, Luo Fengwei's temperament had become increasingly irritable. He wasn't working on any blacksmithing projects, nor was he cultivating. He didn't drink alcohol like usual, rest, or meet with other people or customers. He refused to guide the disciples or oversee the workshop's operations. Instead, he spent his time grumbling about something, and if anyone inquired, he would become angry and yell at them. "We really don't know what's happened to Master," the disciple sighed.

Liu Jian nodded, understanding the situation, "I see, but can we at least meet with him? Maybe we can ask what the matter or offer our assistance."

The disciple hesitated for a moment and then said, "Well, if Young Master Liu insists." He led the three guests to the house at the back of the workshop, knocked on the door, and entered, announcing, "Master, Young Master Liu wishes to meet with you." However, there was no response.

They proceeded further into the house and reached one of the rooms. Inside, an elderly but muscular dwarf with white hair and a white beard sat amidst a clutter of scattered papers, scrolls, and books. He puffed on a pipe and stared intently at the paper in his hands, seemingly unaware of the four people who had entered the room. The disciple cautiously approached his master, "Master...".

Luo Fengwei turned towards the four people, his voice laden with anger. "Didn't I tell you not to disturb me? Why are you here, and why are you bringing people here? Didn't I also tell you I don't want to meet any customers?" His words were accompanied by a loud, irritable sound.

The disciple, worried and anxious, gave an explanation, "Master, it's not like that, please don't be angry. Young Master Liu came and wishes to meet you..."

"Mr. Luo, I am really sorry to have disturbed you and come without a prior appointment," Liu Jian said as he bowed apologetically.

Luo Fengwei now noticed that the one visiting was Liu Jian, and his anger calmed a little. "Oh, so it's Young Master Liu. Is there something I can help you with? I am sorry, Young Master Liu, but I am rather busy and may not be able to help you. If you want to ask me to forge some weapons or armor, currently that's impossible," Luo Fengwei explained.

"It's like this, Mr. Luo, Mr. Orion here is an important guest of our Liu family, and he wished to meet with you," Liu Jian explained.

"Orion?" Luo Fengwei scrutinized Orion, deducing that he was just a mortal and it seems that there is nothing special about him. Huh, how come he became an important guest of the Liu family? Luo Fengwei thought internally.

"So, what do you want?" Luo Fengwei asked with an irritated voice and no longer showing any respect or politeness after thinking that Orion was just a nobody. Even if he is some important guest of the Liu family, it's just a guest after all. When it was Liu Jian, at least he would still hold back his manners, but for some mortal nobody like Orion, he didn't care.

"Uh...," Orion wasn't sure if it should express its intention after hearing Luo Fengwei's tone.

"I am really sorry to have disturbed you during your busy time. I wish to ask Mr. Luo to help make something for me. I heard that Mr. Luo is the best blacksmith in this city," Orion said.

"Sorry, can't do, too busy right now," Luo Fengwei replied as he puffed thick smoke towards Orion.

"Is that so? Then, what about when you are free? Is that possible?" Orion inquired.

"Still can't do. I don't know when I will have free time, and I also don't know if I am willing to make the things you want when I am free," Luo Fengwei replied, still irked after getting disturbed.

Orion fell silent.

"If there is nothing else, get the fuck out of here and don't disturb me further," Luo Fengwei stated.

Liu Jian didn't know what to do. Luo Fengwei was a highly respected individual in the city, and Orion was his savior with a mysterious and unfathomable background. He thought hard on how to defuse the situation. Meanwhile, the disciple standing at the side was also very nervous, his palms sweaty, his knees shaking already, he became groggy, feeling high-strung and edgy.

"Then we won't disturb you any further," Orion said as it left the room, followed by Wang Lingxin.

"Mr. Orion, wait..." Liu Jian began, but Orion's swift exit cut him off.

"Mr. Luo, we are very sorry to have disturbed you, and I will excuse myself now," Liu Jian quickly said as he hurried after Orion.

"Why are you still here? You also get lost," Luo Fengwei grumbled.

"Yes, Master," the disciple immediately scurried out of the room and left the house.

"Master, that grandpa is so bad and annoying," Wang Lingxin commented after they left the house.

"Indeed," Orion replied with a tinge of disappointment. It seemed that it couldn't enlist the help of the city's best blacksmith to create spare parts. Orion had originally wanted to ask Luo Fengwei to make spare parts and explore the possibility of handcrafted components in this world. It also hoped to compare the quality of these handmade parts to those manufactured with precise machinery and computer-controlled tools on Earth. Additionally, Orion wanted to experiment with unique metals found in this world.

"Mr. Orion, I am really sorry that things have turned out this way," Liu Jian said after catching up with Orion.

"Well, it's fine," Orion replied.

The disciple also caught up and expressed his apologies, "I am really sorry for what happened. I apologize on my master's behalf. Usually, he is not like this."

"It can't be helped. Well, what should we do now, Mr. Orion? Do you want to go to another place?" Liu Jian asked.

"Hmm... can we take a look at the workshop and see how you guys work?" Orion inquired.

"Sure thing. Please follow me. Although the place is rather messy and hot, it's fine to watch from the side. Just don't get too close, or you might get dirty or hurt," the disciple said with a smile, trying to lighten the mood after the previous unpleasant encounter.

The disciple led them to the busy workshop, showing them around and providing explanations about what was happening. He showcased the weapons and armor created by Luo Fengwei and the disciples, ranging in grade from non-graded to the highest, which was Grade-4. There were several Grade-4 weapons and armor pieces created by Luo Fengwei, and the disciple proudly displayed them while explaining their details.

Orion absorbed a wealth of information about blacksmithing from observing the activities. The additional explanations provided by the disciple, who acted as a tour guide, were also helpful. Orion's cameras and sensors recorded all the activity, and Orion planned to review and study it in more detail later.

After learning a great deal, Orion also provided tips and instructions to the disciple. Armed with modern knowledge from Earth about blacksmithing and metallurgy, it was easy for Orion to offer pointers and insights, although Orion's expertise was limited to Earth's knowledge, and Orion couldn't explain ores, metals, and techniques unique to this world. The disciple guiding them was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the information and tips provided by Orion, which could genuinely help improve their blacksmithing skills.

They continued the tour around the workshop as Orion kept giving tips, pointers, and suggestions. As Orion kept providing pointers, more disciples heard what Orion said and became interested, listening attentively. Soon, the entire workshop stopped their activities and focused on Orion, keenly interested. Not long after that, one disciple asked a question, and after Orion gave a satisfying answer, others also began to ask questions. Soon, the workshop became a place for discussion and questions, with Orion answering, providing pointers and explanations. Sometimes, Orion also posed questions to the disciples, turning the place into a hub for discussions about blacksmithing.

The disciples were awed by Orion's vast knowledge, and they had learned many new things from him. They couldn't wait to put Orion teachings into practice. They flocked to Orion, asking about blacksmithing and building relationships with him. The atmosphere was lively, filled with laughter and cheerfulness.

Liu Jian was dumbfounded, his mouth hanging open in disbelief. He couldn't believe that Orion possessed such extensive knowledge about blacksmithing. He didn't understand much of the discussions happening about blacksmithing and stood on the sidelines, feeling somewhat like a castaway.

Wang Lingxin, on the other hand, paid little attention to the situation. She grabbed a beautifully crafted sword from one of the tables, coincidentally the best weapon in the workshop—a Grade-4 weapon. She playfully swung the sword around as it felt rather light in her hands. After a while, she decided to perform a horizontal slash on a steel anvil in front of her. Wang Lingxin looked confused because the anvil appeared undamaged, making her think that the sword might be of poor quality. She decided to return the sword to the table.

The workshop was abuzz with activity, and no one noticed what Wang Lingxin had done with the most precious weapon in the workshop. The blacksmiths were busy discussing among themselves, asking questions to Orion, and learning from his expertise. Liu Jian watched them from the corner with his mouth still agape, unable to comprehend the intricacies of the discussions.

After some time, the situation gradually returned to normal. The disciples resumed their work, while some were eager to put their newly acquired knowledge into practice.

Then Orion noticed a pile of ores in the corner of the room and asked the disciple about them.

"Those are some ores that Master purchased a while ago, but it seems that he's having some problems working with them," explained the disciple.

"And what are these ores? What's their name?" inquired Orion.

"I'm not sure, and even Master doesn't know," admitted the disciple.

"May I take a look at them and run some tests?" Orion asked, intrigued by the mysterious ore.

"Of course," replied the disciple.

As the disciples continued with their work, Orion collected a sizeable amount of the ores and then went outside the workshop to retrieve a variety of tools for ore identification from the storage ring. During its mission on Mars, the scientists and engineers that designed Orion also expected Orion to be capable of identifying minerals and ores. Consequently, the Lander carried various tools and equipment for such tasks.

Wang Lingxin and Liu Jian also followed Orion outside. Feeling bored, Wang Lingxin wanted to walk around the workshop's neighborhood, which prompted Orion to ask Liu Jian to accompany her.

After a while conducting experiments on the ores, Orion reached a conclusion, "Isn't it wolframite?"

11