Chapter 37: Mr. Little Tiger, the Boss Cat
173 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the guest house where Orion was staying, an SO-1 drone hovered inside the room. On its underside, there was a hardpoint for a small storage pod. Suddenly, a gold coin appeared and fell below the small storage pod. Orion extended its right hand and caught the falling golden coin. Orion had made some modifications to the drone, attaching a small storage pod beneath it that contained a storage ring which Orion acquired through the auction. The storage ring operated using the same method that Orion used; it was connected to a cable. By utilizing the electricity from the drone's battery, constantly replenished by the ambient Qi in the surroundings, the storage ring could be operated, as the electricity contained traces of Qi.

After finishing the modification, Orion tested it. Orion controlled the drone to hover in front of it and then activated the storage ring to release a gold coin stored in it.

Success! Now all the SO-1 drones have been modified and can use the storage ring. These drones are no longer only able to scout or surveil but also to attack; it will be very useful, Orion thought internally.

Orion took out the storage pod from the drone and stored the drone in one of the storage rings on its fingers. The storage ring couldn't store another storage ring, so the storage pod had to be carried normally. However, it was small, and Orion easily stored it in the compartment in its chest.

Orion has once again increased its combat power by adding an attack capability to the drone. Although it can only drop the payload stored in the low-quality storage ring with a capacity of 1 m cubic, and the accuracy is not great, it is still better than nothing. There is also the possibility of adding inscriptions to the drone, but Orion prefers not to add any inscriptions to the SO-1 drone. This is because inscriptions emit Qi fluctuations, making the drone easily detectable by cultivators. For surveillance drones, Orion prefers not to use inscriptions. However, for other types of drones, Orion may decide to add inscriptions in the future.

I wonder if I can store myself in the storage ring, Orion contemplated internally.

Only non-living beings can be stored in the storage ring, and Orion, being a robot, should theoretically be able to be stored in it. Orion can store the drone and even the Lander inside the storage ring, but storing itself poses a risk. The ring can only be controlled from the outside, and if Orion is inside, it would be rendered disabled.

From Orion's understanding, based on experiments and knowledge from books and scrolls, the space inside the storage ring is a separate realm where time seems to freeze. The clock stored in the storage ring doesn't move at all, and there is a clear time difference when retrieved — a stark contrast between the frozen time within and the continuous flow outside. Also, when a burning candle stored in the storage ring, the candle doesn't decrease, and the fire remains lit. Later, Orion plans to let the Lander control the storage ring, including the intricate task of potentially storing Orion itself. Even though the Lander's AI is simpler than Orion's, it should be sufficient to operate the storage ring and handle any potential issues.

It won't be long for the sun to rise. Orion glanced at Wang Lingxin, who was still sleeping, and decided to retrieve books and scrolls about cooking. Orion began reading while patiently waiting for Wang Lingxin to wake up. Recognizing the necessity of cooking, especially considering Wang Lingxin's hearty appetite, Orion concluded that acquiring culinary skills would be beneficial.

Hmm... everything is similar to Chinese food from Earth. It won't be hard to learn about it, Orion thought. Orion already had information in its database about Earth's culinary arts and Orion planned to utilize it, though it lacked practical experience. Should I introduce other kinds of cuisine from Earth? Orion pondered.

Spending about an hour flipping through many books and scrolls, Orion easily stored the information inside, simultaneously multitasking by allocating some of its AI to learn and analyze the vast amount of culinary knowledge. Not long after, Wang Lingxin woke up. After both of them prepared for the day, Orion and Wang Lingxin left the guest house, as there were many things to do that day. They headed towards the residential area on the east side of the city.

Orion and Wang Lingxin began their journey by visiting Wang Lingxin's old house, the place where she grew up and once lived with her parents. When she was 5 years old, her father, a mortal martial artist, was tragically killed by a spirit beast in the forest while searching for spiritual herbs. Not long after, when Wang Lingxin was 7 years old, her mother succumbed to illness. Since then, she had been living with her uncle's family, and her childhood home was sold by her uncle. Now, Wang Lingxin gazed at the small, simple wooden house that now belonged to other people from a distance, wearing a rather sad expression. It might be the last time she sees the home where she grew up and created beautiful memories with her parents.

Observing Wang Lingxin's melancholy, Orion tried to console her. "If you want, I can make a video of it, and you can still watch your house again from the tablet," Orion offered.

A smile appeared on Wang Lingxin's face. "That's a great idea, Master! Can you record a video of my house?" she asked, remembering that her master is so skilled that he can create something called video and pictures – a kind of magic that captures the world's scenes and scenery.

"Of course, that's easy," Orion replied.

Thus, Orion started recording the house and its surroundings using its high-quality optical camera from various angles, understanding the importance of preserving these memories for Wang Lingxin.

"Done, shall we go to the next place?" Orion asked.

"Yes, let's go. I will lead the way," Wang Lingxin said enthusiastically.

Thus, they continued their journey, visiting several places. Wang Lingxin asked Orion to record many things while explaining about them at the same time. They visited the small playground not far from her former house, as well as many shops she used to visit with her parents. She shared stories of how she would pretend to cry so her parents would buy her candy. Wang Lingxin asked Orion to record the store and the store owners while explaining about them. For example, Uncle A was a playboy who loved to tease young female customers, and if his wife discovered it, he would get a smack to the head. Nestled in a quiet corner not far from her former house is Grandpa B's humble meat bun stall. Grandpa B, a weathered but kind elderly man who doesn't like to talk much, is known for his delectable meat buns. There was also a kind aunt who ran a candied fruit vendor where Wang Lingxin usually got free candied fruit. Many other store clerks and their stories were recorded by Orion as they toured the neighborhood around Wang Lingxin's old house.

"Master, do you see that orange cat? The one with lots of scars on his body?" Wang Lingxin asked as they walked.

"What about him?" Orion inquired, looking at the cat. The cat in this world is no different from those from Earth. The orange cat looks ordinary, what's so special about the orange cat? Orion thought.

"He is the boss cat around here and very dangerous. He is called Mr. Little Tiger. You must be careful; he controls the area around here." Wang Lingxin warned as she approached the cat. "Pss, pss, pss, miaw," Wang Lingxin called the cat. which meowed and rubbed himself against Wang Lingxin's leg.

"Don't you say that he is dangerous?" Orion questioned.

"It's fine because we are friends, but the other kids will be attacked if they come too close to Mr. Little Tiger, and they end up being so scared of him," Wang Lingxin rubbed the cat, picked it up, and held it close. "Master, please record us," she requested as she held and hugged the cat. "Mr. Little Tiger, I will be going to another place. Maybe we won't be able to meet again. Please take care of yourself and don't fight too much," she said as she continued to rub Mr. Little Tiger.

"Meow..." Mr. Little Tiger responded.

After enough interacting with Mr. Little Tiger, Wang Lingxin let the cat go. "Goodbye, Mr. Little Tiger," she said. Wang Lingxin and Orion then left, with Wang Lingxin taking a final look and waving goodbye to Mr. Little Tiger.

Next, Wang Lingxin led Orion to visit Granny Mei. Granny Mei lived alone in a small wooden house. When Wang Lingxin ran away from her uncle's house, Granny Mei took her in, providing a place to sleep and food. Granny Mei was surprised by Wang Lingxin's sudden visit and invited Wang Lingxin and Orion inside her house. Wang Lingxin happily engaged in conversation with Granny Mei, enthusiastically sharing her excitement about finding a master who would guide her on the path of cultivation.

"It's good for you to find a master. Listen to him well, don't play around, and be obedient, understand?" Granny Mei advised, stroking Wang Lingxin's head lovingly.

"Of course, I will. I am a good girl," Wang Lingxin replied.

"Mr. Orion, please take care of Wang Lingxin. She's been through a lot. I hope she can have a better future and find happiness," Granny Mei requested.

"Sure, don't worry," Orion assured.

Orion and Wang Lingxin then bid farewell. Orion gave Granny Mei a pouch containing money, but she initially refused, accepting it only after Wang Lingxin convinced her tearfully. Wang Lingxin urged Granny Mei to use the money for her well-being. Wang Lingxin promised to visit again in the future, emphasizing that Granny Mei must take care of her health.

Leaving Granny Mei's house, their next destination was the flower shop. There, they planned to buy some flowers before going to the cemetery to visit Wang Lingxin's parents' tomb.

After arriving at the tomb, Wang Lingxin and Orion cleaned the surrounding area, removing weeds and wild plants. Then, Wang Lingxin placed the flowers in front of the tomb. She stood there quietly for a while, but Orion noticed that she was holding back tears, suggesting that a lot was going on within her.

"Master, have you recorded my parents' tomb?" Wang Lingxin asked.

"Yes," Orion replied.

"Then, let's go," Wang Lingxin said. She caressed both her parents' tomb and then left.

Orion followed her, and as they left the cemetery, Orion gently held Wang Lingxin's hand. After a while, it seemed that Wang Lingxin couldn't hold back her tears any longer, and they flowed.

"It's fine to cry," Orion reassured her.

"Hua... huee..." Wang Lingxin cried as they walked, reminded of her deceased parents.

After a while, she stopped crying and calmed herself. The street was empty with nobody around. Orion retrieved a tablet computer from the storage ring and handed it to Wang Lingxin.

"Here, why don't you check the video recording? See if it's good," Orion suggested, trying to shift the situation and lighten the mood.

"It's good; they look so real, as if we are watching them in person," Wang Lingxin remarked. The tablet seemed successful in changing her mood, diverting her attention and alleviating her sadness.

They had walked for a while and were now in a rather busy street. Orion held her hand as they walked, ensuring she wouldn't get lost in the crowd. They headed to the Liu family estate, and Orion had already stored the tablet in the storage ring, preventing others from knowing about it.

"Master, is there something you still need to do before we leave this city?" Wang Lingxin asked.

"Yes, first, I will send you back, and then I will head out again. You stay in the guest house and study," Orion replied.

"Eh... study?!" Wang Lingxin exclaimed.

After dropping Wang Lingxin off at the guest house in the Liu family estate, Orion looked for Liu Jian and informed him about leaving tomorrow. After that, Orion immediately set out, heading to Luo Fengwei's workshop.

In Luo Fengwei's house, Orion sat with Luo Fengwei, the bustling sounds of the workshop echoing in the background. Luo Fengwei was currently engrossed in writing something on a piece of paper.

"Mr. Orion, here is the introduction letter," Luo Fengwei said. "With this, you can go to our Flameforge Sect's representative branch in Fengxian City and get your disciple's cultivation root tested. I will also inform them in advance."

"Thank you very much, Mr. Luo. I owe you," Orion expressed its gratitude.

"It was nothing. Also, your orders are mostly finished. Only a few still need a little work. The completed ones are on that table; you can take them with you immediately. As for the rest, I will deliver them today when they're finished," Luo Fengwei informed.

"That's great. By the way, how's the progress with the wolframite ore?" Orion inquired.

"Uh... he he, there are still lots of hurdles," Luo Fengwei chuckled, scratching his nose with a hint of embarrassment. "But I won't be discouraged."

"Mm... well, good luck with that," Orion said. Orion then retrieved a tungsten carbide drill bit from the storage ring, "This is an example of how tungsten is used, hopefully, it can help you and maybe give some inspiration. For more detailed information, I've written it in this book." Orion pulled a book from the storage ring.

Orion has many of these tungsten carbide drill bits for the purpose of constructing the Mars base. The drill bits are also for research and experiments involving drilling Martian materials. Giving one to Luo Fengwei is not a problem.

Luo Fengwei scrutinized the drill bit, examining it closely and using his spiritual sense to probe it. "Whoa... such high-quality craftsmanship," Luo Fengwei exclaimed, impressed by the factory-standard tungsten carbide drill bit. "Is it for me? Thank you very much, Mr. Orion."

"Just a small gift from me, after all, I've obtained so much from you," Orion replied.

"That was nothing, really," Luo Fengwei said.

They continued their friendly conversation, and then Orion excused itself, storing the finished orders before heading to the market. There were still many things Orion needed to do before leaving Yanjing City.

7