Chapter 21: God’s Race to Ascension
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It did not take Kolupati long to rush past Thala without even trying, grabbing her shoulder and kicking her back by hitting her ankles. “Come on! I can make you sweat a little!” She examined the other Gods running beside her, noticing that Arangwa and Anuk Buwan were practically on equal footing. Batala sat at the very top of the mountain and watched, but she could not shake the feeling. He’s watching her, she thought. He’s making sure she doesn't win.

This thinking caused a momentary lapse and Thala held back none as she shoved the Hummingbird God to the ground, losing her footing and causing her to slip. The God crashed into the dirt, hard. 

“It has to be a fair game!” called Thala as she gained ground. Kolupati forced herself to stop sliding and began picking up a steady pace to the top, not bothering to pass Thala once more. She would worry about the outcome later. Thala could not keep up with Kolupati, but her efforts proved futile anyway. As Kolupati looked behind her to see who was chasing her, she noticed that Arangwa and Anuk Buwan were neck and neck, holding each other at arm's length. She ignored the pain in her legs and burst forward, the mountain finally closing in. 

Anisad, the Goddess of Rain and Sea, flowed like water, a shadow behind her as she passed. The Son of the Moon closed in behind.

The shock in her legs caused her to stop and collect herself, and in doing so, Anuk Buwan slid past her in a flash, and despite her keeping a steady pace, it was Anuk Buwan, the infamous Son of the Moon, who reached and jabbed the shell with a bamboo stick, causing it to tilt. The liquid sloshed to the edge and he began to drink from the coconut shell. The other Gods joined Kolupati in complete astonishment as they watched the Son drink the entirety of the coconut wine, not even leaving Batala a single drop. Anisad stood at her side, then scowled and floated away. 

Anuk Buwan smirked as he wiped his mouth, and he shouted madly, “I am stronger than all you Gods! I’ve beaten you at your own game!” He finished the offering, and hacked it against the rocks, looking pointedly at Kolupati.

“Yeah yeah!” yelled Arangwa, clenching his fist and raising it at Anuk Buwan in a threat. “You’re so much better than us! Get down here and I’ll show you how much better you are!” The fires of the sun blazed in his eyes. Anuk Buwan laughed down at him. Batala walked through at last, and Kolupati caught the brief look of disappointment on his face before he forced a smile.

“Maliya, it is no surprise to me or your family that you’ve won this competition,” he said smoothly. “The coconut wine offered only in my realm is said to taste like the nectar of Godliness itself, so I hope that every drop was enjoyed to its fullest potential.”

“I would like to discuss the prize I’ve won,” Anuk Buwan glanced at Kolupati before tearing his gaze away. “In private, preferably, Lord Batala.”

“As you wish, my dearest Moon.”

Balata, with one glance, sent the other Gods away to discuss with Anuk Buwan as he wished. Kolupati dropped to her knees outside once more and caused a scene: yelling obscenities about how rigged it was and blaming Thala for being too slow, which Thala cursed at her for in a harsh tongue. 

The dirt stuck to the edges of her dress, and she cried, “It’s not fair! He beat me by three steps!”

“How do you think I feel!” grumbled Arangwa as his face started to droop, eyes tearing up in frustration. “I was so close to beating Maliya, just this once.” The two had been at each other’s necks. But, in that last second of the race, Arangwa stood paralyzed. "Sorry about your human," he added. "I could have prevented it if I just tried harder."

She stayed behind, but could not overhear the conversation between the two Gods. It was only until Batala called for her that she knew he was aware of her presence. Anuk Buwan walked out of the cave, and Kolupati entered it. A gaping hole in the roof of the cave exposed light that landed perfectly on Batala, highlighting his features. It wasn’t that Kolupati hid Libum or kept him a secret from the God, but business that affected a God’s realm was mostly private. She sent out a letter transcribing the events that occurred, he hardly left the Village outside of work, so it was never an issue. 

Kolupati felt eyes on her. She whipped around before turning back to Batala. Batala only interfered when it brought negative effects to his own realm, or if the other Gods complained enough. Kolupati made a contract with Libum. He was tied to her, and although she could not stop Batala from harming him or taking an interest, he had never bothered after hearing about it. Now, his lips quivered slightly in amusement. 

Kolupati was the problem child, after all. Long ago, she built up her own reputation.

Damn that Anuk Buwan…Kolupati thought to herself. She hadn’t wanted Libum to garner any attention from Batala. It was safer for the both of them, but now, he asked, “Do you know why I have called you here, regarding the matter of who Maliya requested I turn into a God?”

“I have no intention of presenting Libum as a subject for the Gods to latch onto, Lord Maker. He is nothing but…an oddity.”

“That’s not a name fit for a God.” Batala spoke his name a few times, trying it out on his tongue. “I remember when you first reported to me the origin of that human child, it surprises me deeply that he is still alive and manages to survive in your realm and remain innocently human. Maliya has taken notice of this child.”

“I am deeply surprised as you are, Lord Maker.” Kolupati answered. “I did not think he would make it past the first month, but he has been by my side for twenty long years and—”

Batala’s eyebrows narrowed, a sure fire sign that his patience was wearing thin, as it usually did when dealing with Kolupati. 

“But to a human who came to this world at such a young age, he has been in this world longer than he has the human realm,” explained Kolupati. “I know that Maliya…” She stopped herself. “Anuk Buwan has taken an interest in Libum since they met years ago, but neither Libum nor myself have any interest in surrendering to the Son of the Moon.”

“I cannot break your contract with him, but from what Maliya has spoken of this child, he has untapped potential. I will not demand of you that you release him under my custody, but I do ask that you think about it.” He looked deep in thought before asking, “Is he who you would have picked if you won the final race?”

“No. Due to my injuries, I am not sure I could have won. There are many worthy individuals who desire Godhood more than him.”

He shot her a look.

Batala nodded, and said, “I see. I am in quite the trouble here. I promised one of my children something that I must grant, but her request is strange, and you, yourself, refuse to let Libum ascend. This is a difficult problem, yes.” Batala moved forward before Kolupati could react and put a roughened hand on her shoulder. “I think that I may need to meet Libum in order to move forward and decide for myself if he is worthy of ascension in the first place.” 

Kolupati looked down to the floor and bit her tongue. Stay out of my way, you piece of shit God. He looked at the woman as if he could read her mind, and Kolupati asked if she was dismissed. She did not wait for his answer before lightly shoving his hand off, turning around, and walking straight out of the cave. 

“Make it easy on yourself and just give up,” Anuk Buwan called, his hands cupped over his mouth. She ignored him and opened a portal back into her room at the shrine. There, she began throwing her belongings back into a threaded bag, her eyes angrily darting back and forth to make sure she didn’t miss anything before throwing the screen door open. 

“Where are you going, Kolupati?” asked Kaninan, her smile disappearing when Kolupati stomped past her shrine. “We’re supposed to depart tomorrow.”

“I’m leaving tonight,” she said through gritted teeth. She didn’t even care to ask why Kaninan was around this area. “I hate this place.”

“Your seat will be the only one empty at the final feast tonight,” Kaninan laughed as if it were a joke. Candle wax stuck to her fingers. “One day you’ll grow up and stop antagonizing everyone else, and the world will be better for it.” She crossed her arms and leaned against the wall. “Your temperament has certainly proved itself to be a nasty creature. Learn to be grateful for the one who allows you to live. If not for Batala's obligation to you, you wouldn't exist for as long as you have. ”

“How can you follow this so blindly?” demanded Kolupati. “Weren’t you human, once?” She held her tongue as she thought, I am still one of the five creation Gods, and I outrank you. Who said you can talk to me as if we’re equals?

“I was,” she answered, her gaze hardening. “But that was a long time ago, and I’ve long forgotten what it means to be a human being. Humans come to me everyday with prayers, but I am not a complete God any more than I am a complete human. To this day, I have no regrets for choosing to stand up and fulfill what role the universe has put me in. You’d find me a fool to deny ascension.” Kolupati scoffed and continued walking, no longer interested in what she had to say.

0