5. Made-Up man
261 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The failure to obtain a Jujin reflected in Satoru’s behavior. He was grumpy during breakfast, making it a cold experience, combined with the attitude of his wife, who seemed to hold a grudge against Ren. At this point, he was almost sure it was due to the old man trying to replace his dead biological son with him. He didn’t really care much; the situation was simply unpleasant. But he endured it and, after finishing the meal, left for his room to contemplate his next moves. However, Satoru's hand on his shoulder prevented him as he was about to slide the door open.

"Come with me," he said.

The two left to sit on the stairs of the porch. The old man pulled out his pipe, struck some fire, and began enjoying his morning smoke. He kept Ren waiting for a while before finally speaking, which was slightly irritating.

"Maybe we can't get a sword for you, but it doesn't mean we can't do anything. There is not much time, but I can train you with a sword myself. I used to teach our clan's techniques in the past. I can show you," he informed.

Ren contemplated those words for a moment before he answered. "That would be great. Definitely better than sitting idle."

"But first, we will have to visit my friend. The one who helped save you. He needs to check if you are in a condition to train before we start. I would hate to give you an injury that could take a long time to heal."

"Very well. Let's go and visit him."

"Let me finish my smoke first."

So he waited in silence, pondering the old man Isamu and his strange trial. Although, according to Satoru, there was no chance to beat this mountain ape, due to his ignorance, he felt that maybe there actually was. After all, the only reference to this creature that came to his mind was the gorilla he saw on TV, and that didn't seem like an enemy formidable enough to give him no chance at victory. Especially with a weapon and using his new athletic body.

‘I'm not a wimp anymore. Maybe this body isn't in pristine condition yet, but give me a week or two, and the pain will be gone,’ the ideas flashed through his mind, making him decide to have a closer look at the challenge, despite what the old man said.

As Satoru finished the smoke, they left the porch, passing through the street once again, only to head outside of the Noroi clan district.

"This is the common folk area. They are not part of any clans. They don't fight like us, clan members. We protect them, and in exchange, they feed us. It doesn't mean that some of the clan folk don't partake in farming, but it's rare," the old man explained as they were passing by the inner part of the city.

It was slightly different, as the usual clothing of people changed. They no longer were walking in black kimonos, instead choosing grays and browns more often. Sometimes a lady in something more colorful appeared, catching Ren's attention, but no matter how beautiful they were, none could rival the girl he saw during the previous day.

Like that, they reached a different district. The change was as clear as day. He could feel it in the air. There was a different smell to it, like if some chemicals had spilled nearby. The houses had glass in their windows, and the streets had flickering lamps, giving out this buzzing sound.

"This is the district that belongs to the Hayashi clan. They focus on medical knowledge and use their knowledge to get stronger. Some might appear strange because they modified their bodies, so try not to stare too much," Satoru explained.

Although the first people they met weren't that unusual, if not considering their attire – long, gray or white lab coats, often paired with long gloves on their hands, and high boots – soon they saw a few that looked more abnormal, if not plainly scary. A man whose limbs were reaching all the way to the ground, and who practically dragged them behind. Another one whose face was hidden under something that resembled a gas mask. Another one with spikes coming out of his back. A few massive guys were carrying a heavy object hidden under a piece of cloth. Their necks were so swollen that despite the attire obscuring their bodies, it was obvious they were using some juice to get this muscular.

Ren only stole discreet glances, taking the old man’s advice to his heart, as they made it further, eventually arriving at a small abode made fully out of concrete. It had one round window, and on the wall was painted a red plus sign nested in a white circle.

"It's here," Satoru informed, before approaching the door to knock.

A moment later, it was opened by a man of average height, whose ebony hair, reaching barely to his shoulders, was tied behind. He had a pair of round glasses on his nose, but he removed them immediately, nesting them on top of his head, revealing his eyes – a gentle shade of hazel.

"Satoru?" He asked, surprised at first, but then his eyes wandered to Ren, and his face turned more stern. "Come inside," he instructed immediately, stepping aside to make room for his guests.

They entered and followed him through a corridor that passed exactly in the middle of his house. They turned to the right where a salon of sorts was located. There was a couch put right under the window, and a small coffee table next to it, with some fruit in a bowl placed on top of it.

"Please, sit," he gestured toward the furniture, himself bringing a chair from the opposite side of the room. One of two, which was flanking the sides of a nice fireplace, which held no fire at the moment.

Both Satoru and Ren sat down, but the younger fellow continued looking around, spotting a bookshelf in the corner, filled with different volumes.

"I want to start teaching this young man how to use a sword, but I would hate to cause him an injury, so we came so you could check if he is ready," the old man explained, pointing with an open hand at his adopted son.

The medic gave him a strange look.

‘There is something between them,’ Ren noticed. ‘His expression changed when he saw me. Does it concern me as well?’ He wondered.

The doctor slowly nodded, before his gaze shifted to the younger man. "I'm Hiroshi Hayashi. I took care of you before," he said, stealing brief glances at Satoru.

"Yes. I carried you here after I found you barely alive on the street," the old man added.

This caused yet another awkward exchange of gazes, which was topped by a lack of confirmation from the medic.

"I can examine you," he said a moment later, "and check if you are healed enough to exercise, but we will have to go to a different part of my house. To the clinic."

"Then let's go," Ren agreed immediately, getting up.

"This way," Hiroshi stood up to lead them out of the salon, straight to the other side of the house.

All three found themselves in a larger room illuminated by buzzing lamps fixed to the ceiling. There was a lot of equipment inside, mostly medical. There were two beds for patients. One was simple, while the other had a construction above, hanging from the ceiling, clearly to help immobilize broken limbs. There were two desks and several tables. Glass cabinets held different chemicals, each labeled, suggesting some medicine.

"You can sit down here," the doctor pointed at the bed, so Ren followed the suggestion.

While Hiroshi prepared himself, gathering some equipment and putting it on a small table on wheels, Satoru stood by his adopted son's side. The medic soon returned, carrying a stool and pushing the table, before he stopped right by the bed.

"You will have to remove your clothes. I need to examine every place I stitched together," he added, sitting down.

Ren opened his mouth to give a response, but then closed it and glanced at the old man, only to have his eyes shift back to the doctor. "I would like for us to be alone if I have to take my clothes off," he said.

"What?" Satoru asked without hiding his surprise. "I already saw you naked in the baths," he complained.

"If he feels uncomfortable with you here, you have to step outside," Hiroshi argued, as he stood up to escort his friend outside.

The man wasn't happy, but he followed, soon getting back to the corridor. The medic then came back.

"I don't know how to say it, so I might as well be blunt," Ren whispered as soon as he saw the doctor sitting on the stool. "There is something going on in here, and I know it's about me, so please cut the crap. I saw how you both look at each other."

Hiroshi nodded in silence, only to get back on his feet, and return to the door. He turned the lock, blocking anybody from entering, and then he returned. "I promised myself to tell the truth the moment you came to me. I never expected Satoru to bring you back here, because to me it appeared too risky, so I followed his lies, but since you saw through it, I no longer have an excuse," he sighed heavily.

"Just say it," Ren urged.

"You seem to have no memory since you didn't recognize me, but maybe I can change this. Please come with me," he said, getting up and approaching one of the cabinets against the wall, filled with medicine behind glass. He touched something on the side, and the whole thing, along with part of the wall, moved back on hidden hinges, revealing a staircase.

More lamps, mounted to the walls, flickered and illuminated it nicely, buzzing in the process. Hiroshi invited Ren in with a gesture.

"No," he shook his head, "you go first."

"Very well," the man agreed and entered, quickly descending, until he reached the floor of an even bigger room.

It was rough and cold, with lamps hanging from the ceiling. Inside was a lot of equipment. Large glass tubes, strange chemicals, and even machines of some sort. Operation tables with all the necessary equipment adjacent to them, and more.

"What is this place?" Ren asked, looking around.

"You don't remember it?" The doctor asked, raising his eyebrows. "You were made here," he added.

The revelation brought the young man's attention immediately back to him. "Made? What do you mean by made?"

"I had a son, and he became chosen to venture to the Realm of Gods. That was the last time I've heard about him. Almost seven years had passed since then. The Divine Sovereign never shared a vision about him with me. That was enough for me to understand he was dead. It was a heavy blow, which made my family fall apart. During this time I met Satoru, who also lost his son, and over a drink, we both vowed to do something about it. What was a drunken wish became a reality, as we embarked on a path of creating a warrior who would fulfill our desires. On a path of creating you. I grew every part of your body in here, making sure you would be the strongest human being that ever existed, but despite putting everything together, and using the best machines the Isogai clan could offer, you never became alive." He nodded slowly, clearly reminiscing all those events.

"But now I am," Ren pointed out.

"Yes. We both lost hope. You were just lying here for months, connected to the machines that would make your heart beat, and your lungs breathe, but you weren't alive. I decided to end this madness and disconnected you, but I couldn't make myself throw you away. Days later, when I came here to finally dispose of you, I discovered you were breathing on your own. I told Satoru, and he decided it would be better if you never knew of your origin because it could turn you against us. He said he will take you in, adopt you as his son, and tell you a story to make you become grateful to him, so he could lead you to fulfilling his wish."

"To become a candidate, and then to venture to the Realm of Gods," Ren immediately verbalized his thoughts.

"Yes," Hiroshi confirmed. "I wanted to let you decide for yourself. Forcing you would be too cruel, so now I'm telling you. The decision of what you are going to do next is in your hands."

'They failed. This body would never be alive if not for Tsukiko,' Ren suddenly realized. 'She gave me the best body she could find. One that was created, not born,' this realization made him snort.

"I understand if you wish to never have anything to do with us," Hiroshi said, taking his reaction as a show of bitterness.

"Tell me… Can I become a candidate? Do I even need anything more than this body?" Ren asked, surprising the doctor.

"It's… It's hard to tell. The body, in theory, should be amazing. Stronger, faster, and more durable than anybody else, but it might not be enough," he nodded slowly to his own words. "Has Satoru told you about Jujin? One of those blades could make you strong enough to become a candidate. The blade and this body, despite the lack of skills, could make you formidable."

"He did. That's why he was so eager to try to make me participate in three months. As long as I could put my hands on one of those Jujuns, he knew I could win, despite never using a blade before. But unfortunately, we failed. Nobody wants to give a Jujin to somebody like me…"

Hiroshi sighed. "That is unfortunate."

"Maybe," Ren shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe I still have a chance. Check me, doctor. Tell me if I can start training."

"So, after all, you are going to fulfill Satoru's wish?" He asked, moving to grab some tools from one of the tables.

"I couldn't care less what that old man wants," Ren confessed. "I want to try it for my sake. I heard the candidates have great lives. I want a great life."

"That is a good reason," Hiroshi smiled briefly, before gesturing toward one of the beds. "Please lay down here."

He followed the suggestion, and then the examination started. The doctor listened to his heart, and lungs, then checked the parts that were stitched together, before asking him to move each limb, only to later use the hammer to check his reflexes.

"You seem fine. Do you feel any pain anywhere?" He asked.

"Yes. It was very painful to move only several days before, but it gets better each day."

"Then wait until you won't feel any pain. After that, you should be good to go. If you want, I can give you some painkillers if it gives you trouble falling asleep."

"No," Ren shook his head. "The worst parts are gone. Now I don't need anything."

"Then let's go up," the doctor suggested before the two of them headed to the stairs to climb their way up.

Hiroshi unlocked the door, and as soon as it opened, Ren passed through. "I know," he said shortly to Satoru, as the old man was about to ask something.

This information forced his open mouth to close. He gave a furious glare to the doctor before rushing after his adopted son.

"I can explain!" He shouted, but Ren ignored him.

12