9. Blisters and the wise words
181 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Ren woke up, he reflected on everything that had happened the previous day and the idea he had for defeating one of those blue-haired apes. It also led him to ponder the mysterious concept of shinryoku that Ryota had mentioned.

He was unsure whether he should ask Satoru about it during breakfast or perhaps discuss it with Tsukiko. Just as he contemplated which path to take, the black cat suddenly darted towards him, out of nowhere, leaping onto his chest and curling into a ball.

‘You were listening again,’ he remarked.

‘Do you want your answers or not?’ she countered.

‘I do... Please tell me.’

‘Shinryoku is the same power that the gods use. It was named as such because when people first began harnessing it, their goal was farming, mainly aiding in the growth of new plants. It also serves as a symbol of new life, but shinryoku is far more versatile. The Kōri clan employs it in various ways, from manipulating the elements to strengthening their bodies. The Tachibana clan utilizes it in their combat techniques and to fortify their weapons. The most skilled masters can even enhance regular items to withstand a strike from something called 'Kakusei Maken.'"

‘Kakusei Maken?’ Ren inquired.

‘I can't reveal everything, can I? Part of your journey is discovering some things on your own; otherwise, it wouldn't be as enjoyable,’ she giggled.

‘You mentioned the Kōri clan. I've never heard of them before. From what you've shared, it appears they are proficient in shinryoku. How many clans are there? And why didn't Satoru mention shinryoku to me before? Learning it could aid me in becoming a candidate,’ he stated, his irritation evident in his tone.

‘In the Noroi clan, only a handful of individuals can wield shinryoku. The clan's primary focus is on Jujin blades, which serve as their source of strength. Learning shinryoku within this clan would be challenging, and members of the Tachibana or Kōri clans might be unwilling to share their knowledge. Thus, Satoru made a practical decision to concentrate on what he knew. Regarding the clans... Are you curious solely about Hikarimura, or are you interested in other cities as well?"

‘Both,’ Ren responded.

‘There are numerous clans, perhaps too many to count. Some share similarities, while others are vastly different, but each clan regards itself as a small tribe, willing to clash with other tribes if necessary, even within the same city. In Hikarimura, you will find six clans: the Noroi clan, drawing strength from Jujin swords; the Kōri clan, dedicated to shinryoku; the Kamishima clan, establishing bonds with various animals and employing them in battle; the Tachibana clan, utilizing shinryoku for their advanced techniques, elevating them to inhuman levels; the Hayashi clan, employing superior medical knowledge for enhancing their warriors' bodies and harnessing shinryoku for healing; and the Isogai clan, known for crafting marvelous inventions, often powered by crystallized shinryoku. These are all the current clans within Hikarimura.’

‘I see," he paused, his mind still teeming with questions. Finally, he asked, ‘Is my plan a viable one? Can I succeed? You know what’s on my mind, don’t you? I don’t have to explain anything, do I?’

‘As long as you try, there is always a chance,’ Tsukiko replied.

‘Yes, but this chance might be close to zero. I would rather not risk my life if it really is.’

‘Then don't try.’

‘You know I can't. I need this sword so I can be with my wife.’

The goddess laughed. ‘She is not your wife.’

‘Yet.’

The single word prompted her to laugh again, but she didn't respond. This caused him to sigh.

„Thank you for this. I'm hungry now, so I'll go eat," Ren said as his stomach growled, demanding sustenance.

Tsukiko jumped off his body while he was standing up. As soon as he vacated the futon, she nestled herself in there, enjoying the already heated-up blanket, while he left the room to go eat.

From that point, Ren focused on his daily life. Each day began with breakfast, followed by training in the dojo under the guidance of Satoru, with Hinata as his companion. Each encounter with that beauty was a pleasure, and he found it very enjoyable, although it remained only a feast for his eyes.

Then, on their way back, he and the old man would visit the baths to wash off the sweat and return for a late lunch, only for him to leave, under the pretext of having a walk, to head to the stadium. There, he helped feed the apes and had the opportunity to observe them a bit more. Although more ideas were roaming in his head, there was not enough time to pursue everything, so he focused only on the absolute necessities. At least for now.

As more and more days passed, his hands became covered with blisters from the wooden sword during the increasingly intensive training.

The change came unexpectedly one day. After finishing his work in the stadium, while passing by the post where the caretakers from the Tachibana clan were resting, he was stopped by Ryota.

"Stop!" the man called out, coming from behind the table and meeting Ren in the tunnel. "We've waited long enough, and there seem to be no other people willing to participate in the trial of strength this time. I guess the mountain apes are too much of a challenge for anybody who would want to prove themselves, which leaves only you. If you are actually willing to do this. If yes, then you have three days to prepare. If not, we are going to dispose of them all."

"I want to participate, but I would like to first know more about how it's supposed to look like. Am I going to just fight with one of them until I either win or am torn apart?" Ren asked, looking back toward the tunnel, where the monsters were awaiting, kept in cells at the very end.

"I forgot about your memories... You've never seen any of the trials, did you? When you come tomorrow, I'll show you, and then you can make your decision."

"Thanks... Let's do it this way."

After the short conversation concluded, he left heading back home. The time to set things in motion began.

The next day started as if nothing had changed. There was breakfast, then training in the dojo, but as it concluded, and Hinata began preparing to leave, Ren stuck around. Satoru must have noticed that he clearly wanted to speak with the girl, so he gave him a stern look but left.

When they were alone, Ren approached her, prompting her to stop. She didn't say anything but raised her eyebrows.

"I just wanted to say that I won't be coming tomorrow to train with you."

Her eyes ventured to his hand, covered in blisters and swollen.

"You need some rest. I've noticed. It's understandable, but remember iron is forged in fire. If you want to become an iron sword, you need to struggle. Otherwise, you will stay a dull wooden stick," she said, as a slight smile graced her lips.

"You strike very hard, and you are so fast that it is challenging to even defend against you, not even trying to counter or attack," he acknowledged.

"Really? I was going easy on you."

Her words made him chuckle awkwardly. "I actually won't be coming tomorrow because I plan on doing something… The old man would say it is stupid, but I need to try anyway."

"If Master Satoru says it is stupid, then it probably is. He is a wise man. What are you planning on doing?" She asked, and her eyebrows rose again.

"A trial of strength."

She snorted, then laughed. "You are joking, right? Oh gods..." Her expression morphed into a very serious one. "You are not joking… You will die there."

"I have a plan," he argued.

"It better be one amazing plan then. You can't win with me, and you want to fight one of those monsters? They will tear you apart. I didn't know you wished to die. If I did, I wouldn't hold back against you."

"I'm planning to win, but I understand your concern. Anyway… That's all I wanted to tell you."

She nodded slowly. "Then heal up. You will need to be in your best condition if you are really planning to undergo the trial. Just remember… There is no shame in giving up. Many before you gave up when they understood they couldn't make it."

"Thank you for the advice. I'll definitely give up the moment I think I can't win," he smiled awkwardly then left, looking at her once again, over his shoulder, before he got outside.

"I hope you didn't do something stupid," Satoru's words greeted him as soon as he stepped out.

"We just spoke."

"Hopefully… Let's go take a bath. You stink," he added, before beginning to walk.

Ren followed, and soon they reached the bathhouse. They sat in the tub with the cold water but then moved to the one with steaming hot liquid, and Satoru noticed Ren's hands.

"You have so many blisters… You are not used to holding a sword. And now they are even swollen. You need some ointment. We should visit Hiroshi. He will definitely give you something good."

"Hinata strikes hard, and she is so fast. I'm doing my best, but she is always several steps ahead. She does everything better. The moves you show me, she already knows them all. It's hard to compete," he protested.

"Difficulty will make you stronger, besides she is going easy on you."

"She told me that much…"

"Let's eat and then go to Hiroshi. We should also let you rest for a day or two. Those hands are no good, but the medicine should heal them in no time," Satoru said.

"I want to go for a walk after dinner," Ren informed.

"You and your walks… Fine. I'll go fetch it for you, but only this time."

"Thank you."

This ended their conversation, and soon they stepped out of the water to dress and leave to fill their bellies. After the meal, the old man went to his friend, as he promised, and Ren headed straight to the Tachibana clan to find Ryota. Surprisingly, he already waited for him by the entrance.

"Come with me," he instructed without even a greeting.

Ren shrugged his shoulders and followed. They went straight through the entrance hall, heading into a dark tunnel, which actually was not as long as it appeared. It seemed this way because there was no additional light there, and a gate at the very end, which wasn't very visible because of the shadows.

Ryota pushed it open, with a bit of difficulty, and then passed through the gap beaming with light. Ren went right after, and soon they found themselves in the very middle of the arena. It was filled with sand, and surrounded by stands that could fit hundreds if not thousands of people.

"This is where you enter, and the ape will come from the other side," the man pointed straight ahead, at another gate in the distance.

"If you want to give up, you need to shout, and then run to the alcove," he pointed in several directions where those alcoves were placed all around the arena. "You pull the lever, and a gate will fall, trapping you inside, so the ape can't reach you, but as soon as you shout, our team will step into the arena and try to kill the ape, so you don't have to worry if you will be able to make it. We will give you plenty of time. Remember… It's not shameful to give up. It's admirable that you are even considering trying. If you don't have your own weapon, the stadium can provide you with one for the trial."

"Yeah… I heard it once before. As for the weapon, I might need one."

Ryota smiled upon hearing those words. "Those are wise words. Anyway… There is not much more to say. Just do your best… Now let's go feed those monsters."

Ren nodded, and they left the arena, heading to the underground where the Tachibana clan members stayed at the post, while he went further to do all the work and have a moment to observe the apes. He stayed deliberately a bit longer before going back and eventually returning home, where Satoru awaited him, sitting on the porch with a pipe in his mouth.

A cloud of grey smoke surrounded the old man. By his side, on the steps, was placed a small jar.

"I hope you enjoyed your walk. Here is the ointment. Apply it on your hands before you go to bed," he instructed, grabbing the jar to give it to Ren who got close enough to take it from the old man's hands.

"Thank you," he nodded, smiling slightly before he headed inside to eat dinner.

9