11. The trial of strength
167 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day was filled with nervous anticipation for Ren. He spent most of it practicing with the sword in his room, attempting to meditate to keep his mind in check, though it had barely any effect. He also made a visit to the Tachibana clan district, where he once again fed the apes and engaged in a staring contest with the one he had chosen to face in the arena. That was the last thing he did before leaving.

Approaching the post where the workers were sitting and enjoying a conversation during their meal, Ren sought out Ryota for a discussion.

"Ryota, can we talk?" he asked as all eyes focused on him.

The man nodded and came out to meet him. "What is it?"

"I know which one I want to fight. I can show you."

"No need. It's the smallest one, isn't it?" A smirk emerged on Ryota's face.

"Yes," Ren acknowledged, smiling back.

"I knew it the moment you asked about this. I'll make sure it happens."

"Thanks."

"Just show up. Tomorrow morning. You need to be here early before everything begins. We'll have a room where you can stay," Ryota informed.

"I'll be on time. Right after breakfast."

With this, their conversation concluded. Ren returned home, feeling a mixture of relief and worry. He joined the family for dinner, once again in silence. The mood was somber, and it was evident that Satoru and Ayako were concerned for him, even though they didn't voice their worries. They both tried to smile, attempting to convey confidence, but it was awkward, forced.

After finishing dinner, he left quickly, unable to bear the weight of their concern. Entering his room, there was no sign of Tsukiko, but as he lay on his futon, she appeared out of nowhere, cuddling with him. It was slightly reassuring.

‘You will be fine,’ she said at some point.

‘Are you saying this to boost my confidence, or because you know?’ he asked, already aware of her penchant for mental games.

‘To make you stop worrying,’ she admitted.

‘Congratulations, you failed.’

She responded with a giggle. ‘Maybe that was my goal all along? I'm a cat, you never know with cats.’

He smiled. Surprisingly, her mind games had a positive effect on him, though the worry still lingered. It was enough to allow him to fall asleep after a long while.

Ren's restless dreams plunged him back into the memories of his past life, reliving the final, desperate days of being homeless. He found the bag of money – his door to a better life – only to be brutally attacked and fatally stabbed by fellow destitute individuals who stole it from him.

He awoke abruptly, drenched in cold sweat, sitting on his bedding. Tsukiko was nowhere to be seen, and the rays of the morning sun indicated that it was already a new day. With a sense of urgency, he grabbed his sword, slipped it behind his obi, and stepped out into the corridor. The sounds coming from the kitchen indicated that Ayako was preparing breakfast. His sudden appearance prompted Satoru to emerge from his bedroom as well.

"You're up early today," the man remarked, giving Ren a long, scrutinizing look as he slid the door open. "Come. Let's go to the bathhouse. It'll be a while before my wife is done with cooking, and a bit of morning relaxation will clear your mind."

"Sure," Ren agreed.

They left immediately, and as they stepped outside, the old man lit his pipe, using it to calm his nerves. Ren couldn't help but notice Satoru's nervousness, despite his attempts to hide it. The baths did provide a brief respite, helping Ren temporarily forget his worries. Unfortunately, they returned as soon as he stepped out to wash and dress.

As the two men were leaving the bathhouse, a peculiar sight greeted them on the street. The beautiful young woman he had seen in the procession of maidens, who had pledged to marry the candidates, was following a black cat—Tsukiko—who seemed to be leading her straight to Ren.

The goddess stopped right in front of him, meowing.

"Is that your cat?" the girl inquired.

She was so stunning that Ren was momentarily speechless, but Satoru came to his rescue, slapping him on the shoulder.

"Yes! I mean, no... She kind of hangs around... I don't think a cat can truly belong to somebody," he stammered awkwardly, scratching the back of his head.

"She's very beautiful and cute. Uh... Where are my manners? I didn't introduce myself. I'm Noroi Mirai," she said, bowing deeply.

"My name is Ren," he responded with a bow as well.

‘Keep your eyes on the prize. See what you're fighting for,’ the goddess once more invaded his mind. ‘Isn't she worth the risk? Imagine her without those clothes, in your bed. Yes... Yes... Exactly like that. Whispering in your ear how much she wants you. This is what you're fighting for.’

Ren gulped, vividly picturing everything the goddess described. Meanwhile, Mirai crouched on the ground to pet the cat, who began purring.

"I hate to interrupt you, but this young man has to go now," Satoru interjected. "But remember his name. He'll soon be famous," the old man chuckled, placing his arm firmly around Ren's shoulder to pull him away.

Ren blushed as they walked, the image of Mirai and the seductive thoughts planted by Tsukiko swirling in his mind. The cat followed them, escorted by the gaze of Mirai.

Her unexpected appearance had indeed left Ren flustered, and it was a relief that Satoru had intervened. With the old man's guidance and Tsukiko's influence, he managed to regain his composure.

"Good luck, then!" Mirai called out, waving to him as they walked away.

"I hate to drag you out, but we need to eat and then go to the stadium, or you will be late," Satoru whispered.

"I know, I understand," Ren responded.

"Good. You'll have more time with that girl in the future. Don't you worry," the old man reassured him, patting him on the shoulder as he continued to guide him away.

Ren was thankful for the reassurance, and Tsukiko seemed proud of her role in clearing his mind, walking with her head held high and her tail raised.

Once they all returned home, they had breakfast. Then, Ren, accompanied by Satoru, headed out to the Tachibana clan for the trial of strength.

At the stadium, a long line had formed, guarded by many men, including the one with torn sleeves and Ryota. The number of spectators was surprising; there were almost a hundred people already waiting, and more arriving by the second.

The beast caretaker greeted them warmly and led them inside. Ren and Satoru followed him into a spacious chamber prepared for Ren. It had a place to sit and some light refreshments.

Ryota left them after ushering them into the room, and while Ren sat on a wooden bench, Satoru paced around nervously.

Despite the anxiety he had felt in the past day, and earlier in the morning, Tsukiko's actions had cleared Ren's mind. He was now more focused than ever. Each time he closed his eyes to meditate, he saw a mental image of a naked Mirai, standing before him, ready to be embraced. This image fueled his determination for the upcoming fight.

They passed the time observing the anxious old man when suddenly they heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," Satoru responded immediately.

The door opened slightly, and Ryota's head appeared through the crack. He looked at the old man. "We have a place for friends and family in the stadium. If you want to watch the trial, you'll have to come with me now, because I won't have time to guide you later," he informed.

Satoru didn't answer immediately. Instead, he looked at his adopted son, clearly unsure of what to do next.

"I'll be fine. You can go," Ren responded to Satoru's unspoken question.

The old man nodded and left with Ryota, but the caretaker of the beasts returned several minutes later, knocking on the door once again.

"Come in," Ren said without even thinking.

Ryota fully entered the room, leaving the door open. "Everything is ready. I can give you some more time if you want, but not a lot. People are already waiting."

"You saw the ape?" Ren asked.

"Yes, when we were moving it. I think that damn beast figured out you were going to fight with it, so it didn't even try to resist. I never saw one this calm. I think it was saving energy for you. We had them here a few times before, and each time they needed to be forced to move, so they got slightly weaker during the fight... But they regenerate quickly, so it wasn't that much of an advantage. For you... There won't be any, I'm afraid," Ryota explained, shrugging. "This one was actually eager to follow. We didn't have to drag it at all."

Despite the less-than-favorable news, Ren smiled. "Yeah, we had a few staring contests. I think it could understand what was coming."

"I know. I saw," Ryota smiled. „I was curious what you were doing out there, so I came to look from a distance a few times,” he admitted.

Ren nodded showing his understanding. "I don't need any more time. I'm actually ready to go," he stated.

"Then follow me."

Guided by Ryota, Ren walked to the right. The room was adjacent to the main tunnel, so they only had to take a few steps before reaching the gate shrouded in darkness. Ryota kindly pushed it open.

Through the gap filled with blinding light, Ren emerged into the arena. The cheers of hundreds of voices greeted him. He looked around and saw mostly members of the Tachibana clan, with a few dark kimonos indicating Noroi clan members scattered among them. It was clear that the crowd was on his side, but he didn't dwell on it. His focus was solely on the fight, and he pushed the thoughts of the audience aside, concentrating on the task ahead.

Ren drew his new sword and stared intently at the other side of the arena, where the gate began to open. The light poured into the chamber, revealing the slightly blue fur of the monstrous ape. It emerged calmly, sluggishly walking forward and using its massive arms for additional support. It didn't beat its chest or scream loudly, only growled.

Despite the creature's apparent calmness, Ren felt anxiety building alongside adrenaline. His nostrils tingled, and his heart raced. He couldn't hear the crowd anymore; his senses honed in on the enemy. This was an ape that could easily tear him apart if given the chance, and he knew he had to avoid that at all costs.

‘It worked, but will it be enough?’ he asked himself.

As he watched the creature draw closer, Ren readied himself for the first move. His heart raced, and he could hear the drumming in his ears. His vision narrowed to focus solely on him and the monster. Nothing else mattered.

He didn't notice when the spectators held their breath, for the distance between the participant and the monster was closing rapidly, and a clash was inevitable. And then, it all began.

10