Chapter 51 – Lord Skull’s Dark Dome
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Up above, Cobalt bombarded Lord Skull with sizzling energy beams from his looted Dread Spire lance while The Blur relentlessly assaulted their shadowy foe using hit-and-run Dread Bolt strikes combined with precise melee attacks. Together the duo were slowly overwhelming the crime lord, or so they thought.

"Insect! Your Sapphire essence will fuel my power!" Shouted Lord Skull, clutching his side where a recent electrified punch had penetrated his defences. Both teens knew taking down this boss was pivotal to dismantling the entire invasion. Their coordinated teamwork was paying off.

Nearby, Mei provided aerial support from her Ramen Sky Platform, unleashing Explosive Dumpling Hails and Psy-Ramen Lassos to disrupt the villains' movements and cut off their escape routes. She was resolved to prevent additional civilian casualties. "We can hold them back until real heroes arrive!" she shouted down encouragingly.

Indeed, a glimmer of hope hung in the air as the brave students rallied. Though sustaining losses, their guerrilla resistance had staggered far stronger foes through unity and cleverness. From the surrounding neighbourhoods, distant sirens signalled an approaching cavalry that could turn the tide decisively. They only needed to weather the storm a bit longer.

However, a grim surprise awaited the weary student defenders. As the first members of the Jamaica Powered Crime Unit neared the besieged school grounds, ready to bring their might to bear, an uncanny darkness suddenly engulfed the entire campus. From all directions, a swirling void of living shadows expanded rapidly, sealing the area off from outside intervention.

"What's happening? We can't get through!" shouted Sergeant Moss, hammering futilely against the swirling barrier of darkness along with other responding heroes such as Silverback and Juju. Their most potent abilities hadn't even dented the foreign obstruction. It was reality-warping magic beyond their comprehension.

Terror filled the students' hearts as the shadow dome completed encasing Seacrest High in an impenetrable void. They stared around in dismay, realizing the turnaround had only been a cruel illusion of hope. Lord Skull had craftily prepared this contingency all along, stymieing any external heroic support from thwarting his goals. The true extent of his demonic powers were still unknown.

From above, the crime lord descended unhurriedly, blasts of blue and white energy splashing harmlessly against his aura now. He eyed the trapped heroes with pitiless amusement. "All too easy... thank you for gathering together so accommodatingly."

With a snap of his fingers, the remaining free Loki-7 mutants converged on the exhausted students, restraining them ruthlessly. Cocoa Fox, Jade Noodle and others struggled furiously but in vain as the drug-twisted men bound them in their muscular grips. The battle was lost, and despair flooded their young faces at the ruthless turn of events. There would be no last-minute rescue this time.

"Let them go you spineless coward!" shouted Cobalt, firing a desperate volley towards Lord Skull. With a lazy wave, oily tendrils coalesced from the darkness, effortlessly splintering the Dread Lance into pieces. Another tentacle snatched Cobalt aloft, squeezing tightly.

"Now, now, no need for further wasted energy. We can conclude matters swiftly." The Toxic trio assembled alongside Skull, all now looking smug and leisurely. "Young Cain, I applaud your noble exertions today," Skull mocked condescendingly. "But you have something I require. Will you come peacefully or must I inflict pain to facilitate compliance?"

Cobalt strained against the dark bindings futilely, spitting insults. The other helpless students glared at Skull with impotent fury. They had been so close, if only the heroes had arrived sooner.

Watching everything grimly from the perimeter, The Blur weighed how to salvage this tragedy. He couldn't defeat them all alone, not in his current exhausted state. Stalling for time and false diplomacy might be their thin lifeline out.

"Villains! Cease this madness immediately. You claim to be honourable, so prove it through merciful actions, not threats." The Blur pronounced boldly. It was a desperate gamble, but if he could sow doubt in even one of these tyrants, an advantage might emerge. He had to try anything. "These are innocent youths. They've caused you no harm, so why torment them further?"

Lord Skull and the Toxic Trio paused, surprised at this appeal from a defiant hostage. After a moment of silence, Skull turned towards The Blur, eyes narrowing. "You show spirit still despite impending death. Interesting..." He studied The Blur closely, intrigued by this unknown interloper. "I am not without reason. State your proposal for resolving this... situation."

The Blur knew he had one slim chance to steer events less violently. Choosing his words carefully, he responded. "Surrender is not in our blood. But a strategic compromise serves all sides here. You have the advantage presently - leave now peacefully with the one you called Cain but spare the other students from harm or coercion."

It was a desperate gambit, but The Blur saw no better path forward. Cobalt stared daggers, reluctant to be sacrificed even for the greater good. The other students looked on fearfully, lives hanging by a precarious thread. Lord Skull pondered the proposal dispassionately.

"Intriguing suggestion. Your thoughts, allies?" Skull glanced at his co-conspirators. The Toxic sisters cared only about producing more Loki-7, but even they saw value in avoiding further headaches.

"As long no more meddling impedes production, I'm sated," hissed Toxica, while Poison Dart idly scraped grime from her nails. They had seized enough research data and ingredients from the facility and downed some students for now. Perhaps this compromise did suffice.

Lord Skull turned back to The Blur with a chilling grin. "It seems you've secured a reprieve for these defenceless lambs... this time. I am a man of reason after all. But take heed - mercy is fleeting for those who dare obstruct our affairs. Many fates are worse than death." With that chilling caution left lingering, inky tendrils coiled around Cobalt and retracted him back towards the villains in defeat.

"No, get your slippery hands offa me!" Cobalt yelled, struggling desperately like a snake's prey. But exhaustion left him overpowered by the slowly tightening grasp.

Approaching the battered speedster up close now, Lord Skull leaned down and whispered, "We shall meet again. And I look forward to learning who you truly are behind that electrifying mask."

0