Chapter 63 – The Dangerous Loyalty Test
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With his pulse thundering, Devon glanced down at the whimpering man then back at the deadly offering. So this had been the plan along - a ruthless loyalty test masquerading as a fraternity. He gritted his teeth realizing the scenario's severity.

"No hesitation now, young lion!" Killz barked sharply, misreading his protege’s delay. "When duty calls, action must follow. Take the blade and finish that traitor for me, star!"

Jaw clenched now, Devon accepted the dagger slowly. So this was the true face hidden beneath Killz’s jovial veneer. The street dealer cared nothing about brotherly bonds outside his selfish empire. Eliminate obstacles by any means - that was his cold philosophy.

"You can’t force a man's character or loyalty." Devon's tone was grave. "True allegiance grows from worthier soil.”

Killz snorted. “Save the proverbs for church, country bwoy. Just shank that jancro and prove yuh belong amongst real warriors!" He crossed arms awaiting obedience.

The prisoner lifted his face pleadingly but Devon avoided his gaze. There seemed no clear options now. If he failed this ruthless expectation, these violent dealers might turn on him next. But actually committing cold-blooded murder stared opposite his principles. I am no ruthless killer like this fraudster.

“Huh!” Inspiration dawned suddenly and Devon met Killz’s impatient glare. "Yuh ask for grit so here it comes..."

Whoosh!

With blurring speed, he spun and clamped the blade-wielding hand over the cowering man's mouth muffling shrieks while his free palm grasped the neck's pulsating carotid artery. Then channelling precise bioelectric currents, he stimulated the vagus nerve. The results took effect instantly.

"Hrkkk-uggghhh!"

The thug's eyes rolled back white and his limbs went limp after his pulse terminated completely. Devon carefully lowered the unconscious form to the earth. To all appearances, the man now seemed perished by blade. But in truth, his heart was merely suspended temporarily not pierced by steel.

"Hah, nothing to it!" Devon exhaled sharply and stood while withdrawing a bloodstained knife from cold skin. He avoided directly meeting Killz’s intense stare. "Just putting down one worthless dog, no big raid." Casual words hopefully masked his churning disgust.

Several taut moments passed as the gang leader assessed his newest recruit. Eventually, Killz grunted approval then retrieved the weapon to check the supine figure himself.

"Clean work. Yuh cut deep too, no hesitation from a coward heart." He nodded while examining the vicious tearing near the dead man's collarbone. "The wound probably punctured his lung, choked on his own blood. Painful way to expire."

Devon remained silent with tense shoulders. He planned to return later to resuscitate this innocent dolt secretly once Killz left. But for now, deception ruled for both their sakes.

Satisfied his test succeeded, Killz grinned and motioned towards the forest gloom. "Now yuh pass initiation, time to get initiated into the real League of Shadows! Nuff opportunity is there for motivated Hustlers." He laughed loudly. 

“What about the body?” Devon asked, looking back at his handiwork.

"Leave the the traitorous snake to rot, jungle crows and wild pigs gotta eat too. Follow me now!" replied Killz.

Suppressing disgust, Devon navigated past tangled brush avoiding the concealed living sacrifice. Later after dealing with Killz, he would come help this poor fool. For now, escaping deeper into the woods alongside a ruthless murderer left a bitter taste. But sometimes heroes must walk shadowy roads while seeking redemption’s light.

After roughly half an hour of Killz machete swinging vegetation aside, the forest cleared unexpectedly into a small dirt clearing with crumbling stonework visible at the far end. Devon's wrist console sensors indicated they stood atop a hidden underground structure or chambers. Intricate masonry predating the quake disaster probably.

Killz sheathed his blade while keying a numerical code into partial pillars. Gears rumbled loudly followed by concealed panels sliding aside, exhaling stale subterranean air. Rough-hewn stone steps spiralled down into absolute darkness.

"Welcome to The Sanctuary, young lion! Everything changes for yuh from this point." Killz lit a chemical glow stick then motioned for Devon to follow him into the gaping mystery. "Stay close now unless yuh wish to join Wraith affiliated."

That chilling reference to reported entities of darkness which locals attributed to random disappearances sent involuntary shivers through Devon. But his cybernetic suit lining sitting beneath his overalls quickly regulated core body temperature preventing external distress. With cautious yet resolute steps, Devon descended into the void in Killz's wake. Enviro readings warned of deepening oxygen debt and numerous toxic vapours lurking ahead. But his Coco-powered physiology should withstand hostile conditions much farther than normal humans.

Minutes of awkward downward climbing ensued before level stone environs emerged from impermeable gloom. Killz waited nearby for Devon to catch up, the chemical stick reflections gave his smile a ghoulish aspect. Perhaps such theatrics aimed to unsettle newcomer bravado.

"Reach at last! What yuh think of my hidden venue?" Killz gestured proudly around shadowy vaulted space adorned by elaborate fiery braziers. The flaming light revealed a lounge-type setup with rugs, worn sofas and a fully stocked bar counter.

Devon noticed grimy banners displaying violent iconography and gang logos alongside graffiti-scrawled walls resembling chaotic artistry. Ominous side tunnels clearly extended farther into subterranean depths as well. This secret haven certainly offered a discreet venue for all manner of operational ventures. What exactly did the place facilitate?

"Yuh brought me to some kinda base?" Devon kept his tone casual while surveying the wider chamber. "Looks properly retrofitted good. Perfect off-grid getaway for 193 meetings."

Killz smiled knowingly at the police code reference. "Yes yes, an ideal retreat from Babylon eyes! But The Sanctuary serves a greater purpose than petty plotting and deals.” He spread his arms wide. “What if I told yuh this sacred lair once belonged to the Shinobi pirate lords 300 years ago?"

Devon took a surprised moment to process that astonishing history then gave a low appreciative whistle. According to oral legends, the Shinobi namesakes were Japanese ninja mercenaries who dominated criminality across the region through ruthlessness and guile centuries back. Fearful whispers credited the mythical clan mastery over all illegal trades including contraband running, gambling rings and dark mysticism. These legends painted the vicious Shinobi as apex predators who carved out an untouchable island empire... until their sudden collapse two centuries past erased them like smoke for mysterious reasons.

To imagine actually standing within a stronghold fortress used by these mysterious underworld warriors of myth elicited newfound awe in Devon. His eyes scanned the crumbling yet ornate architecture with increased fascination. If such a dangerous legacy still endured secretly into modern society, mapping the winding spiderweb became a paramount duty!

"Yuh don’t just lead some petty street gang... there bigger plays here than selling pills on school corner..." Devon murmured, concern rising about weaving criminal forces he barely fathomed. This hidden discovery escalated the investigation urgency to the highest tier. Steely nerves tempered in past infernos would be tested to utmost limits venturing deeper along Dragon’s throat seeking carefully guarded arcana. But the hero cause never promised easy roads, nor glory...

Killz looked pleased by Devon's show of initiative connecting ominous dots. Power recognizes realities through all threads of deceit and obfuscation.

"Good, yuh display sound reasoning, young lion. Too many short-sighted pups miss the horizon for idle bones.” He laughed then beckoned Devon to follow him towards a side chamber. “Come now, time to meet an architect who shapes destinies..”

 

 

 

 

 

0