Chapter 4: Signal
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Signal

 

[Network connection request signal detected, it came from the neighbouring super cluster Uzebia, the signal is approximately 100 million light years away.]

(Hmm… a network connection request? Must be another ship, or a colony.)

“Oh, you have the map working?”

[Partially.]

“Okay, then start heading that way, make sure to record the route, for future reference.”

[Understood, recording on, layer 2-10 shields on, engine set to level 10, calculating route… failed, unable to retrieve map data. Beginning scan… Scan area is approximately 1 million light years… Success, starting route calculation, with scans in mind… Travel time is around 2 hours. Engines set to level 6. Starting cruise.]

(Guess slower speed it is, until the map is up.)

“Also, you don’t have to speak this stiffly, you can use a more fluent, human way of speaking.”

[Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the full vocabulary yet, and I am unfamiliar with the system I am currently installed on, please give me some time until I sort it out.]

“Sure, I guess…”

(Hmm, I’m getting sleepy. Without the chip doing constant maintenance on my body and letting me get by without sleep, I tire out much sooner. There should be a backup of the chips OS on the optical storage, so I can just get the necessary code from it and put it on my chip. For now, I’ll take a nap.)

She went to her bedroom and just flopped down to her bed.

(How long has it been since I last slept?)


(Where am I?)

Heki found herself in the middle of a forest. Judging by the bare branches it should be winter, though no snow in sight.

(Is this a memory… But it feels too real.)

Heki found herself unable to move, not even her eyes.

(I don’t think I even have a body here… Actually, I don’t think it is “sight” that I am currently using, it feels like that new sense I acquired.)

Something was off however.

(The forest is awfully quite… I don’t sense any soundwaves, only the wind seems to be blowing… Just like the calm before the storm.)

Having thought that, her sense suddenly shifted. She was now sensing nothing…

(Did my location shift? But why?)

Suddenly, a light appeared in front of Heki.

(Even with my sense, that light feels dangerous. I wouldn’t even be able to get close to it, no matter what kind of protective suit I wear, nor what kind of ship I am in, that thing would tear right through them.)

Having thought that, she still felt, that the sight was familiar, unfortunately, due to her sleeping currently, probably… she couldn’t think clearly.

(I really should remember this, so I can come to a conclusion after I wake up, but I don’t think that is possible… I can’t seem to be able to properly access my memory.)

She gave up on trying to save this phenomenon to her memory.


Heki woke up feeling like she just came up from underwater.

(What was that light?)

She was trying to recall what she “sensed”, but she could only recall a vague image of it.

(Though the forest remains entirely clear.)

She managed to recall the least important information, but not the most important one.

(I wonder why my new sense, let’s call it special sense, was the only thing working, not my sight neither my other senses. Though the planet was probably Origin, since the flora should have developed differently, if it was another liveable planet. The trees also carried the mark of the 7th extinction on them, which has left a huge impact on the plants, especially the trees of Origin.)

There were 7 extinctions on Origin.

The first one was a meteorite, which cracked the planets tectonic plates, due to that most of the water evaporated and only 4% of all living things survived.

The second one was when the continents collided at the North pole, caused the temperature to drop rapidly and many natural disasters, roughly 86% of all living things died.

The third one was a continuation of the second. A massive super volcano formed at the North pole, which erupted, causing 99% of all living things to die in the coming cooldown and many other issues.

The fourth and fifth happened due to the splitting of the Aurora super continent, which caused massive volcanic eruptions. The super continent split into three continents: Lent, Fent and Topon.

The sixth one was due to meteors and volcanoes.

The seventh one was generated by humanity and only 5% of the species survived, with over 70% of all living things dying on the planet due to a variety problems like pollution (air, water, noise, light…), climate change and more.

“Cecil, where are we?”

[One minute from the goal.]

“What is the restoration progress at?

[Restoration of the data is at 80%.]

“Do you have visual on the other object?”

[Yes. It seems to be a cargo transport ship from planet Bany.]

“Did you attempt communication with the ship?”

[Affirmative, but it failed. I answered the ships network connection request, but didn’t get back any acknowledgement, rather it continued requesting network connection.]

“Prepare for docking, and prepare my spacesuit. Its better to be careful.”

[Understood, preparing for docking and preparing spacesuit.]

(Hmm… I hope they managed to survive, though the plants should provide enough oxygen to them. Anyways time to go.)

[Docking in progress… Docking finished. Dock’s pressure normal, oxygen levels normal, temperature 21 C°. Airlock disengaged.]

(Seems like everything is fine, lets get the suit on.)

Added stuff to the glossary, going to keep it updated in the future. If you don't understand something, feel free to check it out. If you want an explanation or want me to elaborate more on something, leave a comment.

1