I – Live fire
287 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One-Seven-Six Delta

4th Generation HOUND

 

One-seven-six Delta found itself securely strapped down to drop sleds in the belly of one of the many corporate dropships that it had learned to feel secure inside. Around it was its assigned mercenary marine platoon, that it had only met days beforehand. The marines seemed interested in One-seven-six Delta’s mechanical hound form, dwarfing the marines when it stood up. One-seven-six figured that it could probably hide one of them inside its chest if it wasn’t for its internal processor taking up the space. 

This newer body was a bit different than what it was used to controlling. Its Handler had mentioned that One-seven-six Delta was no longer in training, it would be facing the real enemies of this world. One-seven-six Delta began to shiver as the pleasant memory of a simulated hormonal reward, after each kill, spurred it forward to complete whatever its Handlers demanded. Its Handler had once told it that these marines felt similar sensations, though with much more meaningless reproductive endeavors. 

These marines are such simple creatures. One-seven-six Delta thought to itself as it listened to their hollow arguments. 

However One-seven-six Delta couldn’t help itself but listen to the heated battle over which was the greatest movie or who was the hottest actress. They would continue on this tract for hours as their tempers flared, though at the end of each argument, in which both sides always claimed victory, they would laugh off any perceived animosity that had built up between the two sides. 

Maybe humans are just weird. It continued to think to itself as it cocked its head to the side, replicating the movement of the marines' domesticated animals. It's glad that it's not human like them, something stronger, something to protect them. It tried to think of what it's Handlers had called it, when introducing itself to outsiders.

“Hey LT, you think this AI hound is a girl or a boy?” One of the marines elbowed his fellow seatmate as he whispered.

One-seven-six Delta could easily hear his words, but it seemed to be a silly human cultural holdover when dealing with those who couldn’t hear as well as it. 

After a long while in diligent reflection LT answered definitively. “Girl.”

One-seven-six Delta was now quite interested in this argument, it wasn’t often that it heard others talk about it. Looking at the two One-seven-six Delta realized the name was just the marines rank, and his friend was the platoon staff sergeant.

The staff sergeant raised his eyebrows in an exaggerated shock. “Damn, how the fuck are you so confident? You didn’t even waffle around this time.”

“It’s got no dick.” The lieutenant stated confidently.

“Why would someone put a dick on a combat mech? Besides, your sister has one.” The staff sergeant continued to grill his superior.

 The dickless hound in question perked up at the last comment. It had heard this line many times, from their mother having the extra appendage to their opponent not having it. It was always a false statement meant to pointlessly escalate, and endlessly entertain the audience.

“I’m not talking about my sister’s…wait hold on…did you fuck my sister?” LT exploded with shock, nearly leaving his seat.

Laughing, the staff sergeant placated his friend. “Calm down, calm down, I showered her a good time, honestly it’s kinda cute on her. Here, look, I got a pic on my tablet.” He began to jokingly pull out a metal plate they all carried around

“Shut the fuck up, I don’t want to know how cute it is, and I don’t want to fucking see it.”

“When you tug-”

“I’m going to kick your fucking ass!” LT half threatened in the face of a torrent of laughter from the staff sergeant.

One-seven-six Delta couldn’t help itself as it nearly lifted out of its restraining straps. This argument was getting out of control, it would have to follow these two around, to see how the story developed, when it wasn’t on task. Silence eventually grew between the two making the mechanical hound wonder if one had gone too far, did his sister actually have a dick? Did he show her a good time? Does LT not like his sister? So many questions were now flooding One-seven-six Delta’s mind, if only it was able to ask them itself. But it was a hound afterall, it was there to do a job, not live a purposeless, independent life.

Out of the blue LT muttered to himself. “Oh, what it would be like to have enough money and power.” His eyes now locked onto the restrained combat mech.

“What’s that LT?” The staff sergeant asked, joy still staining his voice.

“Remember that corporate asshole? You know the one who gave us the dog.” LT nodded towards One-seven-six Delta.

“I don’t know, I think I can fix her.” His staff sergeant continued, earning a cross look. “No hear me out, you remember how pent up she looked, she needed a good lovin, and boom, better life choices.”

“Right...hey didn’t you just say you were with my sister?”

“Oh come now LT, I’m a ladies man~ The more the merrier.” The staff sergeant trilled.

“Is that what you tell your ex-wives when another joins their group?”

“Just wait till you meet some cute girl, you’ll fall for them all the same. You’ll be racking up talley marks just to see them smile.”

“Eh, I think one will be fine enough for me.” LT shrugged as his eyes returned to the mech-hound.

Another batch of silence propagated as One-seven-six Delta could start to tell they were grasping for new concepts to pass the time till the drop zone.

“Do you think it actually has an AI in it?” LT finally asked.

“Sure why not, the bar is so low to be called an AI these days.” The staff sergeant leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes.

“No, I mean like a real one, something that could outsmart a human pilot.”

“Hell if I kno-” The staff sergeant was cut off by the crew chief of their ride.

“Ten minutes!” The Crew chief yelled over the drop bay’s comms.

The marines ditched their conversation to the sadness of One-seven-six Delta, it had hopped to hear what the marines thought of its mind. Its Handlers only ever referred to it as a tool, never an artificial intelligence.

As the mech-hound thought, LT had walked over and began to undo the straps that had pinned it to the floor. They seemed to feel more comfortable around the hound when it was strapped down. It could walk around in zero g, steadily magnetized to the floor, and was able to withstand enough g forces that would kill the soft bodies around it. Though they thought it was a dangerous bowling ball waiting to line up a strike

What made One-seven-six Delta smile the most was the little red cover over the barrel of its back mounted railgun. Another one of those things that seemed to make the soft marines feel safe, even though it could just crush the small piece of plastic they stuffed into its action.

Its Handlers would consider this a modification to perfection, but nonetheless they weren’t here to yell at the marines. Though One-seven-six Delta began to wonder if the marines even had their own artificial stimulant system. They were so much more untrained than it, that it slowly came to the realization its Handlers couldn’t just cow the heavily armed men like they could to it.

Removing the blockages from its weapon and giving its head some pets, LT began to walk away. It could feel even an inch of its armor as he brushed it, its metal form while rigid still gave its mind feedback. Something warm bloomed inside its core, a watered down sensation that was akin to a kill. It knew at that point that it definitely wouldn’t leave this man for long. Maybe it would receive more headpats, possibly even doubling down on its rewards. 

Rising to its full height, it dwarfed the marines as it began to stride to the rear of the transport. After finding LT again, One-seven-six Delta shamelessly offered him the top of its head.

LT laughed as he obliged the mechanical hound with an ear scratch. “Alright girl, Delta was it? Let's see how smart that brain of yours is.” The mech-hound pushed into his hand as he continued. “You’re family now, make sure they all get home, alright? I’ll give you more attention then.”

Suddenly the familiar harsh voice, that allowed or destroyed its pleasure, broke its naturally produced bliss. “One-seven-six Delta, this is Handler. Proceed to the first checkpoint and eliminate all hostile light mechs. You will only receive rewards for any light mech kills, all irregular infantry are to be ignored until further orders.”

 

Targets Eliminated (0/4)

 

Delta simply nodded as it acknowledged both people. 

Its conscious mind began to let go as it went into a trance, the world blurring together as its subsystems took over. As the dropship landed, it burst through the forest, branches whipping against its sensors as it closed in on the enemy FOB. Without pausing for a moment, to take in the environment, it began to loop the circumference of the cleared forest that encircled the hill. On said hill, there were several worn buildings and bunkers; it could vaguely make out several figures atop the main building.

Linking with the satellites high above in space Delta danced through the informational battlefield. Within a minute it located its four meals. Locking onto the first set, within seconds both were a flaming wreck. Sweet delight filled its core as it relished in its opening attack.

Delta barely acknowledged the marines beginning their own attack. The only thought that shot through its mind was mere envy of their smoke launchers.

As it continued to circle around the fortifications, it taunted its defenders as it fell well outside any anti-armor weapons the fortifications nonetheless began to throw at it. The trees around and soon well behind Delta splintered and burned as each of the enemy rounds missed their target.

Delta only needed a few more seconds to toy with its prey as it recharged. Seeing the marines on the other side it dashed with renewed energy towards their wall of smoke. Gunfire riddled both sides of the field as Delta’s marines began to advance. The enemy mechs took its bait as they followed after it greedily, instead of easily turning on the advancing forces, that would have ended their assault.

Making it back to the safety of concealment, it began to sing as its railgun leveled towards the enemy. Autocannon rounds wildly pelted the trees about Delta’s head as it couldn’t see through the soft white cloud that marines had placed. Finishing its alignment using the satellites above, Delta silenced the third mech that was still chasing it. 

The screams and commands of the field were drowned out as it tasted another drip of reward that would have made any normal human shiver with delight.

“One-seven-six Delta this is Handler, failure to eliminate the remaining targets before marines are depleted will result in punishment.” The HOUND’s strict master tugged on its mental leash.

 

Targets Eliminated (3/4)

Protect Marines (38/24)

 

Delta nearly whined as it was dragged back into reality, an autocannon of the last remaining mech, that had apparently broken off, began to clear off the pests on its doorstep.

Without a round ready to fire, its only option was to charge forward. It began to weave in and out of the ill-aimed incoming fire. Bursting through the smoke it nearly crushed a few of its own forces, causing its heart to leap in fear. Thankfully it only seemed to startle the marine as its legs kicked safely over. 

This earned the enemy’s attention as the autocannon snapped to Delta, letting loose with its white hot rounds. Pain shot through the mech-hound as it continued to sprint forward, knowing it couldn’t stop now. Pouncing on the autocannon, the enemy held, it twisted its jaw, causing its opponent to lose their grip.

Time began to slow back down as the fire in its core began to burn brighter, its vision blurred as it seemed to be affected by the pain. Delta held back a whimper as the once disarmed enemy mech displayed its sidearm, or side pneumatic pike from what it could figure. The enemy charged as it noticed the mechanical hound in front of it begin to falter.

Delta could feel the railgun charge within reach as it tried its best to evade. Though its pitiful attempts to move away were proven pointless as it found itself in the free hand of the mech. Lifting the HOUND by its neck, it hastily placed the pneumatic pike on its core. Unable to properly aim, Delta fired at the exact moment the charge was ready. Its enemy followed at the same time, though Delta never found out what happened as its vision finally blanked out.

1