Ch 01 – Making New Friends
471 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 1 will introduce the characters, the fun part will start in Chapter 2

Anon was on his way to Bucharest. He had been backpacking for the last 3 months, traveling through every country imaginable and experiencing more than he ever could have hoped for. The stories he had heard about Romania were the stuff of legend, and he was filled with anticipation as he entered the train station. Little did Anon know however, that this trip to Bucharest would be his most exciting adventure yet - a journey which would challenge him in ways he never could have anticipated.

He had been travelling across Europe on a train using his interrail pass and decided to do the same here, but with a unique twist. This time, he was boarding a night train which was headed all the way to Bucharest. He had booked himself a single bed in one of the sleeper compartments and arrived early to board the train, finding that his compartment was still empty. From looking at the little paperclips near each bed, he could tell that every one of them had been reserved for a journey all the way to Bucharest, just like himself.

He curiously wondered who the passengers he would spend the next few hours and night travelling with would be. He had encountered so many fascinating individuals on trains in the past, and he was excited to make more connections. Who knew who he could potentially meet? Perhaps they'd have some things in common that could spark an interesting conversation or even a potential friendship. The possibilities were endless, and his mind ran wild with ideas of all kinds of people that he might be lucky enough to converse with during the journey.

He was starting to get all of his belongings situated when he heard more people entering the train. He watched as a few people passed by, but then the sound of greeting made him turn his head. A young Asian man had entered the compartment and greeted him with a friendly smile although it seemed like he was struggling to form sentences in English. It became quickly apparent that this man had far too much luggage for one person.

And Anon suspicion was right, a few minutes later the mans companions arrived, two asian girls with to-go coffee mugs in their hands. They didn’t give Anon much attention, talking between themselves in what Anon identified to be Japanese.

Anon had a Japanese roommate that he was close to for several years, and over the time they spent living together he taught Anon some words in Japanese. Most of these were silly and inappropriate phrases that wouldn't help him actually communicate with people, but it was enough to give Anon an idea of his travel’s companions origin.

It was not much longer until the train was set to depart from the platform. Anon's train-roommates were still abuzz with conversation and cheer. Recently, Anon had learned that despite their shyness, most people are open to engaging in conversations with strangers - all one needed to do was make the first step. He wasn't just traveling by train for a peaceful journey of observation - he wanted to meet people and have some fun too! With this newfound confidence, he decided he wouldn't let the chance to talk with this group of travellers pass by him.

He offered the small group a friendly hello and introduced himself, inquiring if they were all headed to Bucharest. The man in the group answered first, introducing himself as Haruto. He then went on to introduce both his companions--Mio his wife and her sister Yuki. Both women smiled at Anon, although they seemed rather shy and reserved.

Haruto was laughing, and he went on to explain that Mio and Yuki were both unfamiliar with the English language. Anon thought to himself that Haruto's own English wasn't particularly fluent either, making it difficult for them to have meaningful conversations during this part of the journey. He was looking forward to getting to know them , yet understanding their words would prove painstaking without a common language between them.

Haruto and Anon talked for a few moments more, but it was difficult to make conversation and within a minute Haruto's gaze had returned back to the two women at his side. Anon realized he was getting nowhere, so he decided to pick up his book and start reading. His mind quickly wandered away as he delved into the text, helping him forget about the awkwardness of the situation.

The journey carried on for a while without any real excitement. As the day was coming to an end, the sun began to set in the skies above them. Anon's Asian roommates had already eaten, now they had started to drink some type of clear alcoholic liquor. Haruot offered Anon a glass too and so he accepted, not wanting to be rude. The atmosphere was slowly becoming more light-hearted and before long, the bottle of liquor had been emptied entirely.

Anon could observe the girls' cheeks gradually flush, growing more rosy with each sip of their drinks as they slowly become intoxicated.

Anon noticed that Yuki was looking at him more and more often, a shy smile curving her lips and then quickly turning away when their eyes met. He would offer her an easy smile in return, feeling that there was something between them, even if they could not communicate in the same language.

Meanwhile he could see that the alcohol also made Mio and her husband more flirtatious and affectionate with one another.

Anon had also brought a bottle of Grappa from Italy that he was saving for the right moment. He deemed now was that time and he couldn't have been more pleased when his offer was met with cheers and laughter. Although they were unable to have any real conversations, Anon really enjoyed the evening nonetheless. The group remained in high spirits as the night went on, thanks in part to the alcohol.

Anon had stepped out of their train compartment to get some much-needed fresh air, opening up the window in the gangway. As Haruto returned from a quick trip to the toilet, he saw his companion and decided to stop for a brief chat. While leaning against the stride of the moving train with heavy metal rails thrumming below, they conversed in earnest as they watched small fields and towns glide by.

Haruto was undoubtedly very intoxicated by this point, as was Anon himself. However, or perhaps precisely because of his drunkenness, Haruto decided to start a discussion on some of life's deepest philosophical concepts. Anon only comprehended half of what he said, but it was captivating listening to Haruto and gazing at the night sky through the open window. It truly felt like everything else in the world had been forgotten and silenced for just a few moments.

Anon wasn't certain how much time had gone by during their talk. As they finally returned to the compartment, there they found the two girls resting peacefully on the upper bunk beds. Haruto and Anon also got into their beds without delay and dozed off almost immediately, as it was already quite late at night.

5