B2 — 41. GOOD DISPLAY AND BAD SHOW
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An exchange of awestruck whispers and excited murmurs wafted through the researchers as Bixturnach, frozen in a transparent box with several sealing charms affixed to it, was ceremoniously paraded through the cold room. The din staccatoed with whistles and applause when the bespectacled lass took centre stage with her two automatons.

Then Ayser's mirthful giggle preceded his own approach towards the lass. Emerging from the crowd with arms outstretched, he declared, "You promised, and you kept it, oh you wonderful little girl—"

Two automatons overtook their master all of a sudden, swords extricating from their scabbard right to Ayser's front neck. The elation gave way to a tense silence.

Whimpering, Ayser craned his neck to avoid the threatening slives. He lost the motor skills to take even a single step backwards. "Hey, hey, this is a tad excessive, you know?"

But the two machines seemed to exhibit a moral compass as robust as their stature. It was not customary for someone only moments into their acquaintance to display such physical intimacy, especially to a young girl like Alicia, who was still beneath the age of majority. Though her breath was choked, Alicia managed to exhale a furtive sigh of relief.

"Thank you, but dinnae chop off his head, please?" pleaded Alicia to her machine submissives. With masterful precision, they retracted their swords to their scabbard abode. "Apologies for that, Mister Ayser." the lass gave a wee smile, a bit hesitantly. "As articulate as automatons may be, they lack a fair bit in the realm of emotions. Nonetheless, I'm grateful for the kind words. But hey..., we're a step nearer to unveiling the mujinos' true nature!"

"Miss, since you brought a mujino to us, the amount of my forgiveness knows no bounds." The Ubarian researcher's body slackened. "And with our specialised abilities, we are not one but five steps ahead!" Joyful laughter resonated among the other researchers, while Alicia, with a subtle smile, simply nodded.

The sealing casket stood erect against the cold room's wall, right adjacent to the mortuary cabinets. The citrine-hued liquid it housed adeptly suspended the Arcane-sheathed mujino in sentient poses, and with the dew-kissed transparency of the container, everyone could behold it as a preserved ancient creature encased in ice. But to Ayser and the researchers, it was an abstract art exhibit turned concrete; how they fawned over it spoke volumes. Brooding before it like devotees witnessing their cult idol silently descending from the heavens. A silent adoration of divine mercy and benevolence. The Magisterium mages, on the other hand, had already had sated eyes on the way back, vanishing behind the doors after one last peek.

"Only the might of Arcane can forestall such instantaneous decomposition. Its potency is truly extraordinary, one of a kind. They may indeed be strange and creepy creatures, but even when flaunted in such a state, they are still beautiful nevertheless. Would you not agree, Alicia?" Ayser could not help but shudder with euphoria as he asked, and that had been the case since his eyes first met the sealed box, not because of the biting winter chill enveloping the room.

Alicia who stood beside the researcher made a faint grimace. She looked at his sparkling face, then shifted to the Bixturnach's gaping jaw. This alien creature indeed held a distinct fascination in the eyes of the common folk. But the reasons varied. Alicia was curious because of the latent secrets harboured within its biogenic codes, especially when it came to magic. Ayser, though shared the sentiment, was more euphoric at the prospects of his scalpel breaking its sabbatical hiatus and the anatomy lessons unfurling through his mind. His fist was a dead giveaway, thumb over forefinger as though a scalpel was slipped between them.

"They are... indeed fascinating," Alicia concisely replied.

But Ayser massaged his chin a moment later. A hint of concern was etched behind the furrowed brow. "But studying them can't be rushed. How long will the Arcane sustain this Bixturnach structure?"

The hidden Orb took the honour of elucidating with a loud chirp. If left unattended, a few days may suffice. You will know the signs.

"The Arcane actively continues to keep Mujino's particles from breaking off and dispersing into nothingness. So... a few days," Alicia translated. "I'm prepared to channel more Arcane if needed."

"In that case, My Lady, I ask for your cooperation!" Ayser was reflexively about to pat Alicia's shoulder when his eyes strayed to the dormant automatons leaning against the wall. His upraised hand resorted to scratching the back of his head instead.

With that being said, Alicia ventured a new question. "I've been taught dissection and basic anatomy at the Common Academy, but I'm curious about what ye plan to do with this mujino and how ye intend to go about it, Mister Ayser?"

"Just like your biology class at the Common Academy, of course," a smirk crossed the researcher's lips, his forefinger poised. "We'll dissect it, study it, then draw conclusions from what we learn!"

"Please tell me something I don't know."

Now came the speeding information train. "Oh, what's not in the Common Academy... We have more sophisticated equipment, for sure. But... from that comes more complicated tasks and tests. I think what we're going to do now is to collect samples of its biogenic codes and discern its potential connections with other creatures in our realm. If you remember the big box riddled with holes in the research room, that's the tool to do it. If you don't, it's okay, you'll see it later. However, it will take several days to ascertain—that's why I need you to stay with us—during which we can have fun delving into their anatomy, how they attack, defend, evolve, and the most effective way to kill them, oh, and if we can, we can simulate the creature for the education and training of practitioners. Oh, I love this job!"

"If the biogenic sampling procedure succeeds, then what?"

"Much the same. We'll see if mujinos are mutations of other known creatures, if their origins are earthbound, if we can formulate strategies to defeat them or at least hinder future portals, or ways to prevent them from evolving, or genetically modify them!" Ayser's enthusiasm surged. "Oh, one more thing! Tweak them to be docile and helpful beasts to mankind, then we clone them. As livestock or war beasts! The possibilities are endless!"

"Anything but cloning them!"

Ayser scrunched up his waist, brows furrowed. "Why not?"

"Do we not already have an abundance of creatures aiding mankind, let alone war beasts?"

"But this is an entirely new species!"

"I believe bringing in peculiar creatures from other realms could unleash an ecological disaster upon our world just the same!"

"W-well... Very well," Ayser chose to relent. Only because Alicia was the only Arcane wielder around. "Besides, I was just emphasising the myriad avenues thanks to your presence. Yet again, as per the orders of the Kagatsean rule, the way to stop this plague, and what we will do from here on out, must secure the sanction from the Magisterium itself."

And thus, the two resumed their brooding over the suspended, pouncing Bixturnach. "Ye're right, sir. There are hunners of possibilities! I wish you could teach me how you work."

"There is no need to ask, Miss. You are now an integral part of our team."

"Excellent! So? Mujino is before us! Come on, let's do it now!"

"Wait a minute." Ayser wagged his hand lightly. "As eager as I am about your involvement, unfortunately, we have to end our time at the institute for today."

"What?" Alicia voiced her disappointment. "That's dull!"

"I know! It's dull! The thing is we have to gather at the town hall for the last strategic briefing before the morrow." Ayser turned to address the other researchers. "Yes, you as well. Disperse, all of you! Gather your belongings and don't forget to be presentable!"

They dispersed like an ant colony thrown into disarray. Turning back to Alicia, Ayser added, "Freshen up, Miss. You will be under my tutelage tomorrow. See you at the briefing!" Having spoken thus, Ayser skipped out while crooning an Ubarian tune. There was no way from the tone alone that it was not a happy one...

***

Otnagochi town hall already buzzed with a convergence of military and magic practitioners. They did not use the building's veranda, but instead set up a stage in front of it and the spotlights were already prowling in search of the headliner for the show titled Last Briefing Before War. No, they did not indulge in any sense of tension or dread waiting for the first light. The Tamoanchanese warriors held it sacrilegious. For the Kagatseans, it was daily fare, though bitter in taste. Boisterousness filled the air, verging on a night festival—perhaps the opportunistic gold diggers considered it thus, as bento purveyors slithered through the throng, and snack stands billowed fragrant vapours and barks to make purchases.

Wisesa was a taciturn, yet conspicuous figure among the crowd that drew eagle eyes due to his Yawanese sartorial elegance. Brown striped surjan, black blangkon cap, white sarong, and an exemplary at-ease posture. Yet, he still blended in just fine. His eyes were glued solely to the sagging black curtain holding the quiet among the crowd as it had been. How many centuries must pass before the curtain parted, he lamented. If all they wanted to do was to showcase the rumoured elixir, he would have preferred to retreat to the barrack for a night kip. The war room had reiterated most of the strategies, after all, those he ought to be privy to. He maintained that it would be nought but another repetition, perhaps more deafening by the aid of the heart-thrumming loudhailer, while he struggled to sort out fresh breath from the effluvium of labour of thousands of men crammed together.

Wisesa was about to carry out his heart's desire in quiet when a soft fist landed on his arm.

The lad looked down at the initiator. Alicia with her endearing, muffled simper. Unbeknownst to him, his eyes widened on their own. The bookworm's smile did not suggest she had unleashed Arcane might to level an infrastructure, at least. Even more miraculously, the previous discourse had just slipped away in his head on her account. There was something rather distinct about her appearance, aside from the outfit—a white shirt coupled with a red pinafore dress.

"Did you just get out from the salon or something?" asked Wisesa, hefting one eyebrow.

Alicia had the grace to look shy, fingering her silky red hair already in a ponytail courtesy of a large black ribbon. "It's a waste to visit the salon just to flick your barnet back, innit?”

"Perhaps you're doing it as a vain self-appreciation after taking down one Mujino," Wisesa retorted, feigning indifference.

"So you want me to go back to the two-ponytail mode?"

"Who am I, your father? Your man? Why would I dictate such a thing? You could shave your hair bald for donation for all I care..." Wisesa cast his gaze forward before turning around again, "I don't care, but I'll laugh about it."

A brief pause ensued as both directed their attention at the spotlights that kept circling the stage curtain. The pattern looked utterly recognisable, as if attempting to hypnotise the audience.

"So, about that. Did you hear it from someone?" Alicia broke the pause.

"Huh? I'm just guessing. Wait, is that true?"

"It is! I did it!"

"No outburst of blind rage, I hope?"

"So ye were worried about me!"

"I worry about the animals, the trees, and last but not least, the people around you."

"Ye've spun more convincing lies."

The man's pupils rolled upwards in unison with an exasperated sigh. "What's the point of you teasing me like that, Miss?"

"Dinnae ken, what was the point of you teasing me so much, Wisesa?" the Crimsonmane lass shot back.

Wisesa knew the answer, and in an endeavour not to give away his honesty and dignity, he kept it on the cusp of his lips and turned his gaze back to the stage. A chuckle of triumph escaped Alicia's lips.

The lass tied her hands behind her back and swayed her waist to stave off the encroaching numbness. "Ye ken, even in this packed crowd, you look lonely," she commented. "Looks like ye failed to forge new friendships with Izel's pals from Tamoanchan."

"Why would I want to befriend a bunch of assholes," the flat utterance was jolted by the emphasis of the word "asshole".

"Ah, I see. They're rude."

"They're assholes."

"Like whose, exactly?" Alicia's tone turned nosy once again.

Another sigh fled from the lad. "There's no such thing as an asshole like me or anything like that, missy. All assholes are basically like that." Wisesa took a moment to reflect. "This gang of youngsters. They seemed like bullies when they approached Izel. Just as I thought, that girl was just frontin' all tough."

"But she is indeed tough."

"In that case, her friends are monsters. That's what I caught from her behaviour."

"So you distanced yourself."

"What—of course not! Guess again."

"Ye behaved just like them and uttered words that cut straight to their wee hearts. The issue might be that Izel and this bunch of lads share a background that binds them together." After saying this, Alicia stood on her tiptoes, leering at the mass of heads. "I don't see Izel."

"You're acting as if you've been my observer all this time. Damn, that's creepy."

The clapping and cheering startled the two teenagers as the curtains drew to each side, revealing figures glared by the spotlights. A chap next to Alicia joked about the reflected light on the figure's pitiful head chanced to damage his vision even more

"Kagatsean and Tamoanchanese warriors, attention!" The gruff voice belonged to Hokutoji Taro."Please assume orderly positions and listen to the final briefing before tomorrow's war. This is your last opportunity to review and question the strategy because at the first light, the portal will open, and you must be in position."

A hushed anticipation settled over the audience, breaths suspended for the impending climax, hearts trembling even more as they waited for the final reminders to ring out. A reminder of strategy but also a reminder of life that one of them would be careless and meet their end outside the walls.

"The three shinpi walls have been repaired. The mines between the walls have been installed. Each wall will be fortified by a thousand samurai, riflemen, and cannons. A thousand Tamoanchanese Fire warriors and xiuhcoatl riflemen will tread the ground between the walls. Magic, in any form except Arcane, is permitted. Devices have been installed in the forest area near the portal, where five hundred shinobi in red uniforms will clandestinely monitor and thin their numbers.

"But amidst these challenges, I bring much good news: a crown prince from the State of Lojitengara will join us in this battle. He is no ordinary individual, gentlemen. Within him resides Komainu and its formidable power!"

The spotlight then did its thing—making Wisesa furious with its eye-piercing brilliance. "Alright. Alright, please get rid of it. Please get rid of this damn light. Gods...!" The lad waved his hand vehemently as a cue. Alas, his plea fell on deaf as the thunderstruck applause continued to dominate the atmosphere.

"The second piece of good news is that of his companion," the spotlight shifted to the young girl with lenses, who narrowed her eyes against the light. "Now, she is not fighting with us because she holds Arcane. But Dajo Daijin insisted that she participate and her wisdom was not in vain! She has brought a mujino to the research lab intact, and as such, our understanding of the mujino and its origins will undoubtedly be more enlightened!"

Such news should have warranted applause. But it was more subdued than before, only congregations of reluctant glances were the most noticeable. Had it not been for the cheers of encouragement from the research group on the other side of the gathering, Alicia would have been slapped by the awkward silence. The lass nodded slowly, hoping the spotlight would soon abandon her face as well.

"Is it over? No, not yet! Two more pieces of news remain! A thousand automaton personnel from Zuban Engineering have been deployed as reinforcements, and other major districts have received their allocations!"

Now the thunderous applause was accompanied by wild howls.

"And finally... Some of you are privy to it, but for those who are not, we've been developing elixirs that can deter Mujino from preying on humans. This is our biggest triumph, as we have mass-produced it and it is ready for distribution right now!"

Once again, a roar of excitement shattered the air upon hearing the news from the Minister of Defence. The crowd's jubilant voices reached a crescendo when a man in long overalls, known as Henge, appeared on stage pushing a trolley of folding boxes filled with glass bottles brimmed with purple liquid.

That was when Alicia's bag quivered, and a shrill scream drowned out all the cheering.

Everyone, audience and stage master alike, turned to the lass with furrowed brows. A girl could not possibly scream with such a sharp lisp. However, the voice then faltered into a warning siren and Alicia's face tightened with intense anxiety.

"Something's not right with Orb!" Barong's subtle grumbling reached Wisesa's ears.

"Alicia! Why are you keeping quiet?" Wisesa stared at Alicia, pushing her shoulder, but she still did not flinch. "Orb's screeching could have deafened everyone!"

The lass' feet moved forward in a fit of urgency, brushing past people with grimacing faces and closed ears. When Orb's scream died down, Alicia's equally loud warning pierced the front row, "Do not ever drink that potion!" []

0