69-70
345 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
69. Unexpected Invitation
"Are you looking for an inn to stay?" Bi Lin asked as she looked at Mu Chen and Ye Shi, who seemingly had just arrived at the city.
 
Ye Shi nodded and said full of depression, "Yes! The inns in the imperial capital are expensive and hard to find."
 
"You bet. We were lucky enough to find a small courtyard as soon as we arrived. There happened to be a room for one person, and it costs 500 elementary a day." Bi Lin said with joy.
 
Ye Shi looked at them enviously and said, "You are so lucky." Ye Shi said sincerely. They have searched for available inn but the cheapest inn cost 600 elementary stones per day.
 
Bi Lin had a look at Mu Hong and the others, and said, "There are limited inns in the imperial capital. Otherwise, you and Mu Hong..."
 
Mu Hong frowned and interrupted Bi Lin, "My room is small. I am afraid that I might disturb Mu Chen when he wants to practice at night."
 
Bi Lin frowned at Mu Hong's attitude. Since the Spirit-breaking Elixir incident, rumors said that Mu Yuanhang and Mu Yuanfeng were distant from each other. Now it seemed that this was very likely to be true.
 
Shui Qiancheng said, "Mu Hong, perhaps we can be..." nice to them!
 
Mu Chen smiled and interrupted Shui Qiancheng, "It doesn't matter. I don't like sharing a room with other people either. It's better for me and Stone to find another place to stay."
 
…………
 
"Are you Master Mu Chen?" A middle-aged man approached them as they were talking.
 
Mu Chen nodded and said, "Yes!"
 
Mu Chen looked at the person. It was a decent gentleman. But Mu Chen didn't remember that he had an acquaintance with such a man.
 
"Senior Fu wrote a letter to our president a few days ago, saying that you might arrive here in the near future and he asked our president to receive you. Are you looking for an inn to stay?
 
You are our member. We will prepare you an accommodation. You can stay at our guild." The middle-aged man said earnestly.
 
Ye Shi said in surprise, "You provide accommodation?"
 
The middle-aged man nodded and said, "Yes!"
 
"For free?" Ye Shi asked with shining eyes.
 
The middle-aged man smiled and said, "Sure."
 
"Thank you, senior." Mu Chen smiled lightly.
 
"Young Master Mu, please come with me." The middle-aged man said to Mu Chen kindly.
 
Ye Shi couldn’t process what was going. Mu Chen pulled Ye Shi, and Ye Shi caught up with him.
 
"The president didn't say that you will have a free accommodation when you are a member of the Guild." Ye Shi whispered to Mu Chen.
 
Mu Chen nodded and said, "Yes!"
 
"They are generous. If the old man had said earlier that there was a free accommodation for us, we wouldn't have thought about it for so long at that time." Ye Shi pouted.

Mu Chen, "..."

 
Mu Hong and the others watched Mu Chen and Ye Shi leave and couldn’t believe what they saw.
 
"Senior, what is the Low-level Alchemist Guild?" As Mu Chen and Ye Shi were out of sight, Bi Lin came back to her senses and asked Qian Dongting.
 
"The Low-level Alchemist Guild is a platform for low-level alchemists to communicate. Although most of them in the guild are low-level alchemists, it is an influential organization. Many
senior alchemists used to be member of Low-level Alchemist Guild when they were young.” Qian Dongting said.

"Is it easy to be a member of the Low-level Alchemist Guild?" Bi Lin asked.

 
Qian Dongting shook his head and said, "It's not easy, not easy at all, not even for a third-level alchemist."
 
Shui Qiancheng asked Mu Hong, "When did Mu Chen become a member of the Low-level Alchemist Guild?"
 
Mu Hong shook his head, "I don't know."
 
Mu Hong lowered his head and said to himself: When Mu Chen left Mu's house, he was only a first-class alchemist! Why on earth did he become a member of the Low-level Alchemist Guild? What was wrong with the people who invited him?
 
"Mu Chen is really amazing." Bi Lin said sincerely.
 
Shui Qiancheng nodded along, "He is."
 
Mu Hong lowered his head with jealousy in his eyes.
 
 
…………
 
"Young Master Mu, this is the house our guild provided you. What do you think?" the middle-aged man asked.
 
"Very good. Very good. Please deliver my gratitude to the president." Mu Chen was overwhelmed by how warmly the man welcome him.
 
"Young Master Mu, if you have any needs, you are more than welcome to tell me." The middle-aged man said gently.
 
Mu Chen smiled and said, "Thank you."
 
As soon as the middle-aged man left, Ye Shi couldn't wait to open the door.
 
"Not bad. It's actually very good." Ye Shi said happily.
 
Mu Chen smiled and said to himself: Ye Shi would be happy with everything free.
 
"It's still early. Why don't we go out for a walk?" Mu Chen suggested.
 
Ye Shi said excitedly, "Are you going to make money by doing quizzes? That's fine!"
 
Mu Chen, "..." Ye Shi, are you that worried that you don’t have money for food?
 
"Let's go out and see." Mu Chen said.
 
Ye Shi nodded and said, "Okay."
 
Mu Chen and Ye Shi walked to the low-level alchemist's guild and found a large group of people at the entrance of the guild to buy Element-breaking Elixir.
 
Ye Shi asked around and learned that Element-breaking Elixir was a kind of elixir recently developed by the Alchemist Guild, which could help martial disciples and martial artists to practice. Many disciples from big families would become drug fast after taking elixirs since childhood. Therefore, they needed a special elixir for a change so that they could achieve a miraculous effect.
 
Right now, as Saint Star Academy test was coming soon, many people were preparing for the test. Element-breaking Elixir was immediately sold out once it was on the market.
 
"I’ve asked them. Many people are buying Element-breaking Elixirs and each costs two thousand elementary stones." Ye Shi said solemnly.
 
Mu Chen nodded and said, "Really?"
 
"Mu Chen, do you know how to refine Element-breaking Elixirs? If you know how, we will make a fortune." Ye Shi said with his eyes shining brightly.
 
Mu Chen sighed helplessly, and said, "Stone, I heard that an elder of the Low-level Alchemist Guild invented the prescription of the Element-breaking Elixir. Without the prescription, how could I possibly be able to refine any?"
 
Ye Shi sighed in disappointment, "We don't even know who this elder is. He is so mysterious. I bet that he's probably not a good person."

Mu Chen, "..."

 
"Although he's not a good person, he is such a money-maker!" Ye Shi was silent for a while, then said with envy.
 
Mu Chen, "..."
 
Mu Chen spent 2,000 elementary stones to buy an Element-breaking Elixir, which made Ye Shi's heart pound.
 
Observing the elixir, Mu Chen was suspicious. This elixir seemed to...
 
"Young Master Mu, the president wants to see you." A maid walked up to Mu Chen and said.
 
Mu Chen put away the elixir and said lightly, "Please lead the way."
 
Mu Chen and Ye Shi followed the maid to a study.
 
"Nice to meet you, Mr. President." Mu Chen said respectfully.
 
Ye Shi lowered his head, and secretly looked at the man in the study with the corner of his eyes.
 
"You too. Please have a sit." Xie Qiong said with a smile.
 
Ye Shi had a feeling that the smile on Xie Qiong's face was telling that Xie Qiong was a cunning man.
 
"Thank you, senior." Mu Chen sat down with Ye Shi.
 
"This is the prescription for Element-breaking Elixir." Xie Qiong handed the prescription to Mu Chen.
 
Ye Shi couldn’t believe that Xie Qiong was actually giving the prescription to Mu Chen. How could Xie Qiong... Wasn't this prescription a secret of the Low-level Alchemist Guild?
 
"This is..." Mu Chen couldn't help frowning.
 
"That's right. This is the prescription that you wrote to improve Element-enhancing Elixir when you answered the question. Although Element-enhancing Elixir can also improve element power, it usually causes damage to the meridians, so people don’t use it. "Xie Qiong said.
 
Ye Shi was shocked. Xie Qiong stole Mu Chen's prescription and now showed it off in front of Mu Chen.
 
"Sorry, I should discuss with you before I used the prescription, but I haven't been able to contact you." Xie Qiong apologized.

Mu Chen smiled awkwardly and said, "It's alright. But I don't understand. If this prescription is right, shouldn't it have been made public?"

 
"Your answer was not approved correctly. It was an elder of my guild who asked the question." Xie Qiong explained.
 
Mu Chen understood now. If his answer was not approved, general publics would have no access to the answer. But the administrators of the Guild could. What a scheme! There was scheme everywhere. He used to have the impression that the Low-level Alchemist Guild was an organization with good reputation.
 
"I have two plans for you now." Xie Qiong said.
 
Mu Chen looked up and said, "What?"
 
"One plan, 10% of the sale of Element-breaking Elixir will be yours. And the other plan, the guild will pay you 500,000 elementary stones to buy out your prescription." Xie Qiong said with his hands on his back.
 
"My answer is, buy out." Mu Chen said without hesitation.
 
Ye Shi looked at Mu Chen in disbelief and said between his teeth, "Mu Chen, can you do the math or not?” Element-breaking Elixir was so popular. 10% avenue would be a better choice.
 
Being stared at by Ye Shi, Mu Chen felt guilty.
 
 
 
 
70. Female Cannon Fodder
 
"Why? You should know that you will get more if you get the share." Xie Qiong asked Mu Chen.
 
Mu Chen nodded and said, "I know. I need elementary stones urgently. Although it's worth taking the share, it takes longer time."

Ye Shi rolled his eyes at Mu Chen for him being impatient.

 
Xie Qiong smiled and said, "If that's the case, then..."
 
"Wait a minute." Ye Shi said eagerly.
 
Xie Qiong was amused by Ye Shi's struggling face, and asked, "What's the matter?"
 
Ye Shi pulled up all the courage to interrupt them, "500,000 is not enough, at least 600,000. It is too expensive to live in the imperial capital." Ye Shi looked at Xie Qiong anxiously and said.
 
"Okay, 600,000 it is." Xie Qiong smiled and said.
 
Ye Shi felt depressed for a while as Xie Qiong agreed on the price. 600,000 was still a bargain. He should have asked for 700,000.

After negotiating the terms, they completed the transaction. Mu Chen felt relieved that he had 600,000 on his account.

 
Mu Chen walked out with Ye Shi, "Stone, you are really amazing. You get us extra 100,000 elementary stones."
 
Ye Shi rolled his eyes and said, "Only 100,000 elementary stones. Did you how fast he agreed on the offer? I should raise another 100,000, oh no, 200,000. I bet he will agree too.”
 
Mu Chen smiled helplessly and comforted him, "Okay. It's good to get an extra 100,000 elementary stones. Don't be too greedy."
 
"Aren't you angry?" Ye Shi looked at Mu Chen and asked.
 
"Angry? Why would I?" Mu Chen asked in confusion.
 
Ye Shi said, "The people from the Low-level Alchemist Guild stole your prescription! If you possess the prescription, then we..."
 
"Even if I have the prescription now, I will give it out sooner or later. With my current ability, I am not powerful enough to keep it to myself. Besides, I won’t make full use of it. Perhaps I can’t make that much money. The Low-level Alchemist Guild gave me a generous offer." Mu Chen said calmly.
 
Ye Shi pouted and said, "That's true!"
 
…………
 
The next day, at the Low-level Alchemist Guild.
 
"Ruofeng, you are so amazing that you can actually think of using Bitter Wood Leaves to neutralize the toxicity of ebony." Xie Danyan looked at Lan Ruofeng with admiration.
 
Lan Ruofeng smiled lightly and said, "It's nothing. It was just an idea popped out of my mind. It doesn’t happen often.”
 
"Ruofeng, you are being modest. I have a few incomplete ancient prescriptions. Several elders in the guild are trying to restore it. Are you interested?" Xie Danyan looked at Lan Ruofeng expectantly and asked shyly.
 
"Of course." Lan Ruofeng said without hesitation. Although Lan Ruofeng was not interested in Xie Danyan, he was happy that a noble and wealthy girl was interested in him.
 
Zhuang Yu stood aside and listened to the conversation between the two. He was obviously jealous.
 
While Xie Danyan was chatting and laughing with Lan Ruofeng, she was observing Zhuang Yu in with the corner of her eyes from time to time.
 
Zhuang Yu was in blue as he noticed Xie Danyan’s stare. 
 
"Mu Chen." As he saw Mu Chen walking out, Zhuang Yu was surprised and happy to see him.
 
Lan Ruofeng frowned, followed Zhuang Yu's gaze and asked, "Mu Chen? Why is this guy here?"
 
"He's a member of our guild." Xie Danyan replied.
 
"He is the member of your guild?" When did your guild lower your standard of choosing a member? "Mu Chen is just a first-level alchemist! How can he become a member of your guild?"
 
Lan Ruofeng asked coldly.
 
"A first-level alchemist? No! Mu Chen is a second-level alchemist." Xie Danyan said.
 
Lan Ruofeng frowned and asked in disbelief, "He is a second-level alchemist?"
 
Xie Danyan nodded and said, "Yes."
 
Lan Ruofeng frowned and said, "Even if he's a second-level alchemist, he shouldn't be qualified to be a member of your guild."
 
"Usually no. But he answered more than 200 questions each of which each question was rewarded more than 100 elementary stones in City of Bi. And it happened in one day. More than 100 questions were proved to be correct. Grandpa Fu was impressed by his talent. So he made an exception to recruit him as a member of the guild." Xie Danyan explained.
 
When Mu Chen was in City of Bi, he chose to answer the questions anonymously. Therefore, few people knew that Mu Chen was the answerer. Fu Zuquan and Xie Qiong hid this secret in case Mu Chen would be noticed by other forces.
 
Xie Qiong also warned Xie Danyan not to tell others. But Xie Danyan forgot it when Lan Ruofeng asked her.

"Impossible! When I met him in City of Mo, he had just become a first-level alchemist, and it's only been a few months. How could he have become so powerful? I heard that those questions were answered by a senior alchemist who passed by." Lan Ruofeng said.

 
Xie Danyan frowned and further explained, "Those questions were answered anonymously, and the elementary stones were transferred into Mu Chen's elementary stone card. But I personally doubt that those questions were not answered by Mu Chen, but that Mu Chen heard the answer from others and then wrote it out."
 
Lan Ruofeng nodded and said, "I think this is more likely."

Lan Ruofeng squinted his eyes and said to himself: Could Ye Shi help Mu Chen answer so many questions? But he had never heard that Qu Kun knew anything about alchemy.

 
Xie Danyan nodded along, "I think so too. Mu Chen has just been promoted to the second-level alchemist, but many of the questions he answered are about advanced second-level alchemy. And he never answered any questions again."
 
"It's really suspicious!" Lan Ruofeng said while frowning.
 
Zhuang Yu sighed and said sadly, "Mu Chen always likes to take shortcuts. But shortcut is not the right way!"

Xie Danyan frowned and said, "You know Mu Chen?"

 
Zhuang Yu nodded and said, "Yes!"
 
"Does he always like to cheat?" Xie Danyan asked immediately.
Zhuang Yu frowned and said helplessly, "He's not... he just hasn't grown up yet."

Xie Danyan squinted her eyes and said with disgust, "So he is a liar."

…………

 
Mu Chen and Ye Shi walked into the low-level alchemist's guild in the imperial capital and by coincidence they met Lan Ruofeng and Zhuang Yu again.
 
Seeing Ye Shi, Lan Ruofeng walked towards Mu Chen and Ye Shi with a light smile, "Young Master Mu, what a coincidence to met you again. Have you found a place to stay?"
 
Mu Chen nodded and said, "Yes."
 
"The low-level alchemist's guild provided us with a place to stay, free of charge." Ye Shi said proudly.
 
Lan Ruofeng glanced at Xie Danyan. Xie Danyan looked at Mu Chen with disdain and said, "Mu Chen, no matter what method you used to deceive my grandfather and made him think so highly of you, you should know that, once a cheater, always a cheater!"
 
Mu Chen, "..."
 
Ye Shi, "..."
 
"Who is your grandfather?" Ye Shi asked.
 
Xie Danyan put on a long face, snorted coldly, and said, "You don't have to pretend that you are confused. My grandfather is the president of the guild, Xie Qiong."
 
Ye Shi looked down and understood that she was referring to the cunning old man who bought Mu Chen’s prescription at a bargain. He was wondering if the old man was a good person or not. Now judging from Xie Danyan, he was more convinced that that old man was not a good man.
 
"Mu Chen, if you take a wrong way, although you can get a little benefit for a while, you will end up with big trouble later." Zhuang Yu looked at Mu Chen and said earnestly.

Mu Chen, "..."

 
Ye Shi looked at Zhuang Yu in confusion and said, "What nonsense are you talking about?"

Zhuang Yu didn't speak, just looked at Mu Chen with complicated eyes.

Mu Chen said to Xie Danyan and others, holding Ye Shi’s hand, "Excuse us. We need to go now.” 

 
Xie Danyan immediately stood in front of Mu Chen and said, "Mu Chen, why are you desperate to leave? Because you are guilty?"
 
Mu Chen said sarcastically, "Yes! I'm guilty, a lot."
 
Xie Danyan gritted her teeth and said, "I knew you were cheating."
 
"Miss, you are quite observant." Mu Chen said with a fake smile.
 
"You..." Xie Danyan looked at Mu Chen angrily.
 
Mu Chen ignored what Xie Danyan said and took Ye Shi out.
 
Mu Chen dragged Ye Shi forward and thought to himself: He couldn’t stay at Low-level Alchemist Guild because Xie Danyan was Xie Qiong's granddaughter. Xie Danyan was one of the female cannon fodders in the original plot. She had been in love with Lan Ruofeng, and had done a lot for Lan Ruofeng, but Lan Ruofeng had never been interested in her.
 
Xie Danyan was Xie Qiong's granddaughter. Now, she hated him because of Lan Ruofeng. He should stay away from her because Xie Qiong loved his granddaughter very much.
 
Mu Chen said to Ye Shi, "Stone, we have to move out of that guild."
 
Ye Shi said reluctantly, "But it is free! Are you afraid of that girl?"
 
Mu Chen shook his head and said, "Not like that. The girl is close to Lan Ruofeng and Zhuang Yu, but I don't want to be entangled with these two people. Besides, we're not short of money now and the test of the Saint Star Academy will begin soon.”
 
"You're right. We can’t get too close to them. I have a bad feeling about Lan Ruofeng and Zhuang Yu." Ye Shi suddenly felt an indescribable disgust when speaking of the two.

5