Sin and nails.
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky had darkened ominously as if nature itself sensed the impending calamity. Dust swirled in the wind, stinging the eyes and faces of the crowd that had gathered. Jerusalem's cobblestone streets were awash with an atmosphere thick with morbid anticipation and cruelty.

Jesus, already a figure of torment, struggled to remain upright. Blood from His crown of thorns mixed with sweat, dripping into His eyes and down His face. Each step He took was a Herculean effort; His flesh was torn open from the lashes, His body quaking under the weight of the un-sanded wooden cross that grated against His raw skin.

The crowd jeered and spat, their faces twisted into masks of contempt and derision. Children mimicked their parents, unsure why they were mocking but doing so regardless. Women who had once listened to His sermons on love and forgiveness now recoiled in horror, clutching their children tightly. Pharisees and priests looked on with vindictive satisfaction, their eyes void of compassion, filled only with the dark triumph of revenge.

Jesus stumbled, His legs giving way beneath Him. The cross crashed down, pinning Him momentarily to the ground. His breaths came in ragged gasps. From the mass of onlookers, a man named Simon was pulled out by Roman soldiers, compelled to lift the burden that had become too heavy for a scourged man to bear.

Simon's eyes met Jesus' for just a moment. In that fleeting connection, there was an overwhelming torrent of emotion—gratitude, pity, and an unspeakable sadness. Simon took the cross, his hands stained by the blood of a man he'd never met and helped carry it up the steep incline to Golgotha.

As they reached the Place of the Skull, the soldiers threw Jesus down onto the crossbeam, His body writhing in anguish his skin ripping even more as they moved him on the crucifix. Mocking laughter fills the air as one of the soldiers grabs a hammer and nails, and they pulled him up the splinter covered cross and pull his arms to nail him to the beam, The hammer rose and fell, its clang echoing as nails were driven through flesh and bone of the wrists and feet. Jesus screamed in pain and sorrow that deafened all who heard it, They pulled his feet and held them firmly as they slammed the nails into his ankles to the sides of the crucifix. Jesus yelled in agony as they pierced his feet with the old rusted nails. The two other men yelled and screamed but the mocked Jesus was the voice that shattered the sky and winds.

Jesus was lifted between two criminals, His unclothed, scarred, blood-covered flesh a spectacle for all to see.

His mother Mary, her face as pale as snow, looked on, her heart torn apart by a grief no mother should endure. John, the disciple whom He loved, stood beside her, his young face aged years in a matter of hours. Their eyes met Jesus', and in that gaze was a mingling of love and unbearable sorrow. No words were needed; none could capture the magnitude of the moment.

Jesus looked out at the crowd, His vision blurred by tears, agony, and blood. He pulled up to draw a raspy breath and spoke. "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." His voice, though soft, cut through the air, silencing for a moment even the jeers of the crowd and the sarcastic remarks of the religious leaders, words that could be heard for miles.

Time seemed to stretch and compress, each minute an eternity yet fleeting. The sky turned an eerie shade of dark gray around twelve noon, the sun obscured as if ashamed to cast its light on the deeds below. The air grew heavy, as if the Earth itself were mourning.

The crowd yelled and mocked for hours without rest, one said "if you are the Son of God, you must have the power to save yourself. Haha" and one of the elders cried out "he saved others, But he can't save himself?" and yet again another elder came forward and mocked him saying "if he comes down from that cross, We will believe that he is the supposed Son of God"

The criminal crucified beside Him, after a life lived in the shadows of sin, turned to Jesus. "Remember me when you come into your kingdom," he rasped, his voice tinged with a desperate hope.

Jesus, His face lined with indescribable pain yet radiant with an inner light, replied, "Truly, I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

Finally, around *three p.m.* His eyes clouded with physical agony, He pulled himself up and down to take breathes as he cried out, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" (My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?)

Those were His penultimate words, a soul-rending cry that encapsulated the totality of human suffering, a divine lament that echoed through the corridors of time. And then, pulling Himself up, skin pealing from bone for one final agonizing time to catch His breath, He declared with a loud cry that reached the heavens, "It is finished."

With that, His head dropped, His body went limp, and His spirit left Him. The Earth quaked, rocks split, and the once-impenetrable temple veil tore in two, as if the very fabric of the world could not bear His passing.

As people scattered, fleeing the darkened hilltop as though it were cursed, Mary remained, staring at her lifeless son, her tears a mingling of personal loss and cosmic tragedy.

In that terrible, awe-filled moment, something had irrevocably shifted, something so monumental that its full gravity was beyond human comprehension. All that was left was a heavy, unbearable silence, broken only by the sobs of a mother mourning her son and the distant thunder of an approaching storm.

0