Episode 1: Audition (3: The Misunderstanding)
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the room that they had just entered, Sara observed that she had seemingly been dragged into a large waiting room in which there were still a few people ruffling about. However, instead of auditionees, these people seemed to be cleaners who were working away and not people here for this apparent audition Sara was being dragged into.

[Damn, let’s hope that they haven’t left yet!]

The woman dragging Sara grumbled as she also took notice of the room’s emptiness.

Just as soon as they had entered the waiting room, Sara was just as quickly dragged into a second room. This second room was much shorter in comparison to the first but was still plenty large on its own, with the far wall bearing a large window to the city outside.

There wasn’t much in the way of furniture in the room, only a long table at one end and a row of chairs on the opposite. Behind the table, there were more seats which were of clearly better quality than the ones against the opposite wall and sat in them were four people, three men and one woman, all huddled together.

They were all professionally dressed in suits of dark blacks/blues and appeared to be, mostly, in their middle-ages.

Sara immediately understood that these people were likely the people that had been supervising this audition that the woman dragging her had constantly been mentioning. Or in other words, they were the judges if this were a reality show. She didn't know what the technical term would be.

Upon their arrival, the three men and woman—who had previously been in a deep discussion—turned to face Sara and the grey-eyed woman. What were initially looks of annoyance at being interrupted quickly softened into submission at the recognition of the woman holding Sara by the wrist.

That being said, they still gave Sara herself the occasional wary glance, their eyes practically asking her “who are you?” in bold letters.

[Good, you’re all still here.]

The woman holding Sara said as she let out a relieved sigh.

[What’s brought you here, Director Wallace? Didn’t you say you would review the auditions at a later date?”]

One of the men asked, confusion written all over his features.

‘Director?’

Sara gasped internally, somewhat shocked to find out the person holding her by the wrist held such a seemingly esteemed title.

[I found a wayward auditionee. If you can, I’d like you to give her a shot despite being late.]

The woman referred to as Director Wallace enquired, her arms finally releasing Sara from her clutch as she walked up to the table and leaned her weight on it before continuing:

[I heard her singing voice and I feel it could work really well in the new idol project.]

[Well…]

The four judges mumbled in conjunction, giving each other awkward, unsure glances.

They began to discuss amongst themselves for several seconds before the lone woman of the group of four spoke on their collective decision.

[If it’s a recommendation by you, Creative Director, then we’ll of course give the girl a shot. However—]

The woman looked at Sara with a reprimanding glare at this point, sending a shiver of nervousness down her spine.

[—I must say that your tardiness has already painted you in a bad light, so I hope that you will put your full effort in this audition. If we're not impressed, you'll have to excuse us for being straightforward with our opinions.]

[That’s great!]

Director Wallace clapped her hands together and laughed. Smiling brightly at their decision, she turned to pat Sara firmly on her upper back, almost pushing her forward and off her feet.

[I told you things would work out!]

[Wait, wait, wait!]

Sara cried out as she shook her head furiously. Waving her hands frantically as well, Sara continued to cry out in protest:

[You’ve got this all wrong. I’m sorry, but I’m not here for an audition!]

Silence followed this statement for several seconds as a tense, awkward atmosphere permeated throughout the room. The silence was only broken several moments later when one of the male judges almost growled out in accusation:

[Then what are you doing here?!]

Eyes narrowed in unbridled hostility, the man clearly held no reluctance in shouting out his immediate reaction.

[Eh-ah… Uh, S-sorry b-]

Sara stuttered in response, tears welling in her eyes as the full pressure of the man’s glare bared down at her. A cold sensation took over her body and no matter how much she thought to keep a proper appearance, her body continuously shivered and even her words failed her.

[Wait, it’s not her fault....]

Director Wallace let out a troubled sigh at this point before placing a comforting hand on Sara’s shoulder. Jumping in surprise at first, Sara's state eventually managed to settle somewhat as she turned her gaze and saw the guiltridden, apologetic gaze of Director Wallace.

[I think this is my fault; I feel like I may have had a small misunderstanding…]

Director Wallace placated the man before turning to Sara, asking as nicely as she could:

[Girl, if not to audition, then why are you here? You’re clearly not an employee here, dressed in such casual clothing.]

[I-I was just accompanying my f-friend, she’s here to audition as an a-actress.]

Sara hiccupped. She could only feel glad that she had managed to hold back her tears at this point—preserving some dignity—though the rims of her eyes had reddened quite a bit at this point regardless.

[Ah, the acting auditions are being held today as well, aren’t they!]

Director Wallace exclaimed in realisation, her lips pressing into a thin line as embarrassment painted her cheeks, if ever slightly.

Meanwhile, the man who had initially been glaring at her could only let out a defeated sigh as he pulled back his hostility, turning to shaking his head at the troublesome turn of events.

[How should we proceed, Creative Director?]

Another man asked now that the tightened mood had finally eased.

[Well… While we’re here, it couldn’t hurt to audition her anyway, right?!]

Director Wallace shrugged and laughed after a moment pause, eyeing Sara with a grin as she came to this abrupt decision in a careless manner.

[Huh, but-]

Sara was going to absolutely refuse; but she suddenly found her retort being cut off almost instantly by the other woman.

[Just give it a shot.]

Director Wallace said encouragingly, placing a firm hand on her shoulder.

[It’s not like we’re going to force you to join the company, we’ll only have you do a few things and then you can be on your way. The worst thing that could happen is that you’ll have a funny story to tell that actress friend of yours. So, won’t you humour this foolish woman, eh?]

[Ah…]

Sara wanted to refuse once more, but as soon as her eyes locked onto the confident and calming gaze of the Director’s, she found her words being lodged into the back of her throat.

Sara at this moment remembered, like many people, that she had truly wanted to be an idol when she was young. As stated, much of the music that she listens to even now are from idols still. Even the song she had been caught singing by Director Wallace was a boy group song, one that had followed her throughout adolescence to this day.

Suddenly and amazingly, Sara found herself scared at both the prospect of taking part in the audition and also not taking the chance to audition.

She could be giving up the chance at being something she and so many people dearly wished for as a child if she continued to refuse...

But Sara also found herself unsure if she still even wished to be an idol. She wasn’t exactly an innocent child anymore and knew of the cruel reality idol’s face in the entertainment words, on and off screen. From harsh training conditions to the troubles that any person in the limelight face. Sara knew now that life as an idol wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, even if she were to somehow make it.

However, when Sara finally managed to calm her nerves, a long-hidden desire welled up in Sara that surprised even her, giving Sara—before she even knew it—her answer.

‘It’s not like I trained tirelessly for this audition, so if I were to fail, then that would be that, right?... But on the other hand… If I were to somehow pass, I can take the time before then… To decide on my choice...’

Coming to the conclusion that there truly was no loss in giving the audition a try, Sara turned a wary eye to the audition judges.

[Don’t worry about us, we can give up ten minutes of our time.]

The female judge gave Sara a comforting smile, and Sara found with a further glance that the three others were surprisingly in agreement as well, or at the least weren’t so averse to the idea to speak openly about their misgivings.

[O-okay, but I can’t promise anything. I’ve never really sung in front of anyone before.]

Sara finally relented, the cloud of anxiety clouding her mind dissipating as her nerves finally settled, along with the shivering plaguing her fingertips.

Nothing could-truly-free Sara of her nerves in this situation, but as Sara proceeded forth, all Sara had to do to reaffirm her conviction was to replay Director Wallace's words in her head. Strangely, Sara found great comfort in those careless words of hers that were almost said in jest:

…The worst thing that could happen is that you’ll have a funny story to tell that actress friend of yours…

2