Episode 2: Decision (2: A Mother’s Comfort)
58 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Like with Briana, Sara took her time to explain the events properly, finally concluding only several minutes later.

[…But I don’t think I’ll go through with it. Like, it’s not like I’ve really wanted to be an idol or anyth-…]

[Untrue!]

Selma Weiss cut her off, surprising Sara with the strictness of her tone.

[Don’t lie to me, this mother of yours knows very well of your obsession with idols when you were a child. I couldn’t go a second without hearing the latest song from your newest favourite group.]

[But that was wh-]

Sara tried to deflect but was similarly cut off one again, even quicker this time too.

[Don’t think I’ve not seen the music you listen to in your room; practically nine out of ten songs are from an idol group.]

Selma Weiss shook her head, smiling wryly.

[I also have your report card from your final year in primary school which stated your dream was to become nothing other than—wait for it—an idol. If this Director Wallace lady really thinks you have the talent, then I think you should give it a try; if it’s what you truly want though. Only if it’s what you truly want.”

Silence hanged in the air after her mum's words, a silence which was only broken by her mother once again as she asked again with a smile that Sara found hard to read:

[So… Is it what you want?]

[I-I don’t know. I just… don’t know.]

Sara finally admitted with trembling hands, only continuing after she felt herself being pulled into her mother’s comforting embrace, her face instinctively snuggling into her mother's warmth.

[I’m just so confused mum... I mean, I can’t even see what Director Wallace sees in someone like me… I haven’t got a clue how to dance, my singing is decent, but it’s so low and nothing like an idol's, I’m short-]

[Alright, enough of that patter.]

Her mum chastised.

[Your voice is beautiful, and before you say I’m obligated to say that as your mother. Is that the same for this Director Wallace, or the other men and ladies who were at your audition then, hmm?]

[*sigh* No…]

Sara admitted with a shaky sigh, her hands coming around to hold onto her mum’s woolly sweater. It was warm and soft to the touch, and smelt so familiar.

[And for your dancing, I’m sure you’ll be able to learn it quickly. You’ve always been a spry girl.]

Selma Weiss smiled, her hand coming around to pat her daughter on the back encouragingly.

[I notice you never said anything about my height.]

Sara grumbled.

[That’s because you’ll always be my little shorty, even I can't help you there.]

Selma Weiss laughed heartily, finding even more enjoyment when her daughter began to lightly hit her in the arm in her anger; only stopping when her mother pulled back from the hug and looked at Sara with her gentle light blue eyes.

[Alright, I’ll let you stew in your thoughts on this for now. Your mum has work to get back to.]

 While pulling back from the hug, Selma still kept her hand comfortably resting on Sara’s back another minute.

[How about you help me prepare some stuff for tomorrow then? There are still a few cupcakes that need cooking, and there are plenty of other things to do as well.]

[Okay mum, let me just go and wash my hands first.]

Sara smiled as she pulled the sleeves of her shirt back and walked up to the kitchen sink to wash her hands.

[You can start by whipping up some frosting for those cupcakes I’ve already baked, I’m just going to the front to check up on your dad and then I’ll be back to help before you know it.]

Selma Weiss informed Sara, who nodded in understanding and let out a little [hn] in reply.

Before leaving the kitchen, Sara's mum looked over her shoulder to see her girl stretching for a piece of equipment from a high shelf, the cute display and her daughter's face of frustration causing Selma to have to hold back a burst of giggles as she retreated into the front of the bakery...

…………

In Sara’s room, the darkness of the room was only disturbed by the light of a lamppost peeking through the gaps of the blinds and the lamp sitting on her small desk. She had just finished helping her parents for the day and so now had free time for herself. So now, sitting at her desk, Sara was fiddling away at her small, compact laptop with eager eyes.

 On the screen was the homepage of Petal Entertainment.

For probably an hour now, Sara has been investigating the company, learning all she can about them, from their past to their predicted future.

Petal Entertainment at this moment was in a period of growth, mainly thanks to their growing acting division and the ongoing success of their idol group ‘Blossom’, a co-ed group of eight idols; four male and four female. The only problem was that the group had just reached their six-year anniversary and questions of their continuation were up in the air with the members’ contracts ending on the seventh year.

There have been a few attempts on Petal Entertainment’s part at debuting new idol groups or soloists, but none have had the same traction as ‘blossom’ so far.

This changed somewhat a few months prior to now when Petal Entertainment announced the employment of Jennifer Wallace, who would manage the debut of a new girl group under the company. No further details have been announced since then, but simply the clout surrounding Jennifer Wallace lead to some excitement to the group’s debut; simply based on her namesake alone.

But that was only to the diehard fans of the genre. Most of the populous wouldn’t have much knowledge on Jennifer Wallace, so the success of the group was still up in the air.

Sara understood immediately that this was the group she had most likely auditioned for. Having read all this, the most surprising thing that stood out to her was just how famous Director Wallace was.

‘To think that this woman of remarkable achievement and the bubbly woman I met earlier were one and the same…’

Sara marvelled, deep respect for the woman brewing deep inside.

At this point, Sara stopped typing away at the computer as she got lost into her thoughts instead.

Sara had to admit that her mother was right, Sara did hold some aspirations when she was younger of becoming an idol.

For why she eventually gave up on that dream?

‘I guess I’ve always been a realist, and despite my young age, knew how difficult it was to become an idol. That was probably why I decided to try gymnastics instead, as that was my second greatest joy as a child.’ Sara reminisced. ‘I would probably still be doing gymnastics if it weren’t for the incident…’

But now, a new path may have opened up to Sara… And despite the opening of this new path, Sara found herself as at a loss as she had always been the last couple of years, maybe even more so.

That night, Sara only fell into a troubled sleep after a long struggle...

2