Episode 4: Training (5: Pink Spring)
44 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

But Sara couldn’t sit still, for she was not a person to pursue things lightly.

In gymnastics, Sara would train just as hard, taking extra classes out of club times while also frequenting a—now sadly dismantled—park where she would use the climbing equipment and free space to further her gymnastics training.

When Sara was in an accident and couldn’t pursue gymnastics any longer, after a lull period of general loss, Sara then put all her effort into studying and searching for her next big thing. Only, she never found it, leaving only studying as her motivation forward. That was until last week…

Sara now had found her future, and just like before, she wasn’t going to waste a moment and risk watching the dream waste away in the future… Not like before. Sara couldn’t prevent her failure in gymnastics, but she could prevent her failure as an idol…

[Hmm…]

Sara hummed as the final notes of Pink Spring played out on her laptop, leaving the room in silence, with the only exception being Sara’s soft breathing as took in the last three or so minutes.

[This is going to be difficult…]

Sara let out a long-troubled sigh.

One would need to have a good level of versatility to sing Pink Spring. Despite its soft name, this song by Blossom did not only stray into the territory of a light, soft singing cadence. It actually started off with a solemn, deep voice that slowly transitioned as the song continued before finally reaching the softer singing tone one would expect from such a titled song.

Sara had to praise the song, it was incredibly rare to hear a title track of an idol group to be formatted in such a nuanced way, even if the song still followed some basic pop song structures. Most title tracks would have a somewhat consistent sound throughout the song, maybe only changing towards the end, where the sound of the song can freely soar to new heights.

Sara could understand why Blossom blew up from this song, it truly stood out on its own while still holding that pop sound that the mainstream loved.

Listening to the song a few times, Sara then located a karaoke version of the song with only instrumentals and lyrics; which was thankfully easy to find due to the song’s popularity.

Releasing an anxious breath as the beat of the song began, the solemn melody dancing in her ears, sounding somewhat ominous. Being a mainstream song meant to capture the viewer's attention, the intro doesn’t last long before the beat picks up and the first verse begins; though the song still maintained a solemn undertone.

As the first verse is sung with a low, husky voice, Sara was able to sing this part in her normal singing voice, for the most part, only sometimes rising or lowering an octave to reach certain notes.

Then came the pre-chorus, highly instrumental with very deep singing that seemed to be a background to the instruments. This was sung by a few of the male artists in the original group to achieve those truly deep vocals, meaning Sara’s usual tone of voice count not reach the same affect, no matter how low her voice was for a girl.

Thus, Sara was forced to sing this part at her lowest register, something she wasn't exactly used to.

In her first attempt, Sara lost her breath as she attempted to achieve such a deep voice consistently throughout, her technique failing her. Not disheartened by the failure however, Sara simply replayed the song, ready to start over.

It took several attempts, but Sara eventually managed to reach that low, deep voice she wanted and maintain it for the full pre-chorus. Finally, Sara could move onto the chorus now.

Whereas the pre-chorus was deep and hidden behind the instrumental, the chorus was very different; very full sounding and sung with a high, clear voice. Sung by the two lead vocalists, one female and one male in harmony in the original song, Sara obviously couldn’t duplicate that effect by herself.

Thankfully, the two singers sang in the same range, so Sara wasn’t stuck between choosing which voice to follow for the chorus.

That being said, the real trouble for Sara came in the form of reaching the high notes in the original. Just like the pre-chorus, Sara was stuck repeating this part of the song many times. But unlike the pre-chorus, where Sara had grown confident in her replication of the original, Sara found that no matter how many times she tried to sing the chorus, she was unable to manage such strong high notes, her voice always sounding a certain octave lower or her breath giving out before the end.

Eventually when half the day had gone by with little to no progress, Sara had to resign for now, ‘I’ll get instructions from Jennifer tomorrow, if I keep straining my voice like this, I might end up damaging my throat… At least that’s what Jennifer taught me… And also, there’s still more than half the song to get through, not to mention the rap verse…’

Starting the song at the end of the chorus, Sara relistened to the next part of the song to remind herself of how the second verse sounded; a lot of time having passed by now that this part of the song wasn't as clear in her mind anymore.

For the second verse, the first half was sung normally, while the second half of the verse made a sharp transition into the ill-fated rap verse. Rather short, the rap verse wasn’t the most complicated from what Sara could tell. But it was still a rap verse, something Sara hadn’t even attempted in seriousness in her life.

'Gah, let's just do it!'

Sara cheered herself on, not willing to lose faith for even a second!

2