Vol. 1 – Chapter 24: Revenge
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A massive golden scorpion appeared on the outskirts of the Federation outpost during the night. Its golden eyes gleamed as it waved its pincers and stingers around, eager to fight its enemies below.

Smaller golden and black scorpions lurked behind it, equally excited and waiting for its call.

Meanwhile, alarms rang throughout the base, and everyone prepared for the imminent battle.

Fox 1-1 went straight to the warehouse, powering up the combat mecha that it used before, the LMX-RT-12C. A twelfth-generation multi-purpose mecha suit that could explore and fight at the same time.

After days of analyzing its structure and weaponry, Intellus was able to deduce its ammunition requirements and fabrication requirements.

Unfortunately, they were unable to provide a sufficient energy core material to successfully build one. It required a stable and powerful energy core, provided using a fission or fusion energy source.

Julian knew it was only a matter of time before he could amass several combat mechas of this size and power.

The warehouse doors opened and the combat mecha strode out to the center, aiming its barrels straight at the incoming enemies. 

Seeing the commotion outside, Fox 1-1 established a connection and reported.

"This is Fox 1-1, reporting to HQ! The Federation outpost is under attack! I repeat, the outpost is under attack!"

An endless wave of scorpions surrounded the outpost and charged all at once. The large golden scorpion remained at the top, awaiting the death of these things that dared to kill one of its subordinates. 

The black scorpions rushed to the fences, ignoring the electrocution as they tore through each section one at a time. 

The machine gun turrets bombarded their thick carapaces, each .50 cal bullet piercing through the armor and ripping their underskin apart. 

The dead scorpions lay on the ground and were trampled upon by the rest. Soon, a mountain wall of dead scorpions piled up at the entrance with more scorpions on their way.

An 80mm rocket trailed straight into the scorpions and blasted their armor away, the shrapnel shredding the underskin and bursting pools of blood for every strike they made.

The shockwave pushed the piling mountain of dead scorpions, burying the smaller ones who tried to climb from below.

The two Tiger squads armed with 8mm ballistic automatic rifles had occupied the rooftops, precisely targeting the smaller scorpions' legs that twitched and broke in half on impact.

"Fox 1-1, we need fire support!" Tiger 2-1 requested.

Fox 1-1 quickly operated the LMX-RT-12C and designated lock-on targets for the combat mecha's missile launcher. 

The four-barreled 102mm missile launcher fired four missiles in rapid succession, each aimed at the largest scorpions detected in the area.

The scorpions near the center died in the explosion, while the rest were blown away.

"Way to go, Fox 1-1!" Tiger 2-1 cheered.

The last missile struck the leader directly in the abdomen, causing several cracks in its carapace. It bellowed in pain and ignored its injuries, charging straight into the mountain of scorpions and crashing through the gate. 

The turrets immediately focused on the big target, pounding it with everything at all costs.

The golden scorpion brushed off their attacks and swung its stinger to the sides. The stinger's segments elongated with a durable piece of muscle holding them in between, extending its reach to the two turrets showering its face with endless .50 cal bullets.

The sharp stinger cut the turrets in half, producing sparks in the process. 

Frightened, the Tiger squad shot its legs in an attempt to cripple it. 

The tickling sensation worsened the golden scorpion's rage, smashing its stinger at the rooftop where the Tiger 2 squad was located. 

"Get out!"

Tiger 2-1 commanded, leading the jump back to the ground. Despite the 4-meter-tall drop, their metallic legs remained sturdy and without any stress. 

They slowly retreated to the center while firing at the golden scorpion.

The latter wanted to chase but was stopped by two 80mm rocket launchers. It raised its pincers, attempting to block the rockets only to be splintered by the resulting explosion.

As the defense put most of its firepower at the leading scorpion, the rest of the army marched unhindered, taking down turrets left and right. 

Tiger 2-1 assessed the situation and called out to Fox 1-1. "Fox 1-1, we need that fire support again or we will be overrun!" 

The LMX-RT-12C's missile ammunitions had been replenished, prompting Fox 1-1 to re-select its lock-on targets.

"Locking in on the golden scorpion!"

The 102mm missile launcher fired another round of missiles into the sky before returning to the ground and bombarding the golden scorpion.

Explosions illuminated the night sky as each missile pummeled the golden scorpion to dust, leaving it with nothing but fragments of itself. 

Fox 1-1 ignored the missile launcher and used the two multiplex four-barreled rotary machine guns firing alternating rounds of ballistic and energy munitions.

The sudden death of their leader weakened the rest of the group's resolve. However, the Eagle Squad suddenly sensed that something was wrong.

"Hey, don't you think that their numbers should have decreased?" Eagle 1-2 asked while popping the head of a juvenile scorpion with its 0.75 CLkV energy sniper rifle. 

Eagle 1-1 paused for a moment and looked at the distance. "All squads, this is Eagle 1-1. I am detecting many creatures charging from the north and northeast. Please verify."

Fox 1-1 quickly glimpsed at the combat mecha's radar and found that there was indeed an extremely huge number of red dots congregating from that direction.

"This is Fox 1-1. Confirmed, Eagle 1-1. Large number of creatures detected from every direction in the north. Shall we initiate the evacuation process?"

"Thin them out with the missile launcher first, Fox 1-1." Eagle 1-1 advised.

"Roger that. Missile launcher is ready to go." 

The LMX-RT-12C combat mecha's golden eyes coldly stared at the new enemies arriving from afar. Unlike other lock-on targeting systems, it only needed the vital signals of a creature captured by its sensors to successfully lock down the target and deliver a devastating payload.

Four missiles were launched again, heading into areas with the densest number of creatures.

Clouds of dust stirred up far away, dragging countless creatures into the realm of death; coupled with a woeful cry that reverberated to the skies, different from the indistinct hiss of the scorpions. 

"My sensors are picking up multiple land-based creatures hopping through the sand." Tiger 3-6 reported who positioned itself furthest to the north. "No, wait. My sensors are detecting buzzing sounds in the air."

When Tiger 3-6 looked to the skies, it saw an endless swarm of small insects not far different from locusts. 

An echoing growl rang on their sensors, originating from a tall creature with a huge lump on its back housing these disgusting insects.

"Shoot the back, Eagle 1-1!" Tiger 3-6 pleaded, aiming its rifle's muzzle at the small insects buzzing around.

The machine gun turrets followed soon after while the 80mm rocket launchers focused on bigger targets.

Bullets tried to fill the skies to no avail, still vastly overrun by the never-ending swarm of insects coming out of that strange creature's lump on its back.

Eagle 1-1's 10mm sniper rifle pierced it, causing more insects to fly out of the nest. 

Even Eagle 1-2 cringed at the sight. 

"There are too many! Suggesting retreat!" Tiger 3-1 requested. 

"Roger that, Tiger 3-1. All squads, retreat! Fox 1-1, stay on the center!" Eagle 1-1 commanded.

"Just so you know, the E-CONN still hasn't replenished my missile ammo yet!" Fox 1-1 reminded. 

"Move it, Fox 1-1! Tiger 2 will cover you!" Tiger 2-1 shouted.

The automaton squads moved in unison, with not a single soldier falling behind. The insects attempted to consume Tiger 3-6's metallic frame and died while trying.

Fox 1 and 2 remained at the rear with squads Eagle 1 and 2 positioned on the rear flanks, providing long-range fire support to their buddies.

Just as they left the compound, a tide of two-legged tadpole-looking beasts amassed from the north and blindly charged straight ahead. 

Their bodies piled up in the fence, soon taken down by the multitude of creatures madly rushing from the rear. 

The turrets could not hold on and were devoured by the beasts, toppling down one way or another. 

As the automaton squads lost hope, a shockwave boomed behind them. 

The PMS-MD-103 appeared together with Tasha on Julian's side.

"Successor!" Eagle 1-1 shouted.

"Remain on standby, team." Julian gestured at her. "Tasha, go ahead."

"I will destroy the outpost if you want me to proceed," Tasha warned.

"Just do it. I've already salvaged everything from here!"

Tasha smiled and looked back at the outpost. She noticed that the two spaceships from before were no longer on the landing pad.

She moved forward and glanced at Julian. "Cover your ears, darling. My attacks can be ear-shattering."

Julian could feel his body being pulled towards Tasha as she gathered a massive amount of invisible psionic waves above her head.

As her hands extended to the sides, so did her psionic waves, now covering a wider area than before. The exponentially increasing force started to release mind-numbing pulses that covered a large area above the skies and below the ground.

Julian had no choice but to drop to the ground, kneeling under the tyranny of her psionic power.

'Rippling Carnage!'

Julian heard the ghost-like wail behind that strike and instinctively pushed his hands further into his ears. 

The psionic waves crashed into the northern direction like a tsunami devouring everything underneath. 

The small two-legged creatures were instantly crushed to death, leaving only a pile of bones in their wake.

The insects turned to dust and the lump on that strange creature's back burst into pieces, releasing putrid fluids no different from mucus and vomit. 

Tasha's psionic wave traveled far and wide, eliminating more than ninety percent of the invading creatures. 

Tasha let out a snort and grinned at the result of her work. The expression on her face said it all.

As expected.

Julian and his automatons groveled in the sand, appreciating that this woman was on their side. 

"Hey, what's with that dumbfounded look, successor? Never seen a psionic at work before?" 

"Tasha, what the hell was that?" Julian slowly got up, his eyes still in disbelief at what just happened. "I knew what psionics are capable of but you've just redefined that in my head."

"Rippling Carnage. A simple psionic attack I made." 

"Simple psionic attack?! You call that simple?!" Julian cursed while pointing at the countless carcasses and blood painting his outpost. 

Tasha rolled her eyes. "I'm only amassing and releasing psionic waves, captain. Nothing too complex about it. You want to see a very complex one?"

"I'm all eyes and ears." Julian was interested in her powers now. 

"Then follow me, captain. This isn't enough to serve as my warmup." Tasha gestured at him to follow. "Also, I'm giving you a lot of favor, if you haven't noticed. I have seen your desires for more territory and resources so how about I fix that now?"

"Sounds good to me." Julian chuckled. "But won't we be discovered by that boundless psionic energy of yours?"

"Don't doubt me, captain. I can control my powers if you want me to." Tasha increased the output of her psionic waves, pushing her higher. "Unless someone is there in the skies above us, no one will know that I even exist here. Except for my master, of course."

Julian furrowed his brows, staring at Tasha from below. "Okay, but don't overdo it. You never know what's up there, Tasha."

Tasha shrugged and took off to the north. Julian trailed close behind, curious about Tasha's other psionic abilities.

As the two made their way deep into the desert, blasting nests and lairs here and there, the outer space appeared calm in comparison to what was going on beneath Planet Origin.

No sound.

No death.

No chaos.

No destruction.

Only a small wriggling one-eyed creature monitoring the psionic waves it sensed on the planet's surface.

After a long wait, its tails released a tiny amount of energy directed at the other wriggling one-eyed creatures nearby.

They died one by one as the energy bounced out of the star system, heading to the vast void of the cosmos unknown to the common man.

Thank you for your continued support, dear mighty readers!

2