Chapter 6
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

Jade shifted in his seat, trying to mask his unease as he glanced around the tense assembly. Representatives from the major factions were gathered to determine Zaria's new government structure, but agreement seemed unlikely between the opposing camps.

 

Consul Ardex sat with the Jzeda delegation, his craggy features set in a stern expression as he conferred with the other Consuls in hushed tones. Jade felt Ardex's leadership was just- and a bit hardened by years of war against Sliez.

 

Across the table, Crown Princess Maria wore an inscrutable smile that didn't reach her icy blue eyes. Her brother, Prince Santiago, leaned close to whisper in her ear. Though barely sixteen, the young prince regarded the proceedings with a piercing, calculating gaze that unsettled Jade.

 

Presiding over the assembly was Grand Mayor Alessandro, elected to represent the neutral city-states. He seemed weary but determined to broker a compromise. Jade respected Alessandro's commitment to peace between all factions.

 

"Esteemed delegates, shall we begin?" Alessandro said. "First order of business - establishing an interim ruling council for Zaria until a permanent government is ratified."

 

Immediately, Consul Ardex stood. "The Jzeda representatives propose a five-member council, with two seats for Jzeda, two for Sliez" - at this, murmurs broke out among the Jzeda camp - "and one for the neutral territories."

 

Ardex sat back down, looking quietly satisfied with himself. Jade realized this concession was meant to project good faith, though it clearly rankled Ardex to offer the rival empire equal seats.

 

Before Princess Maria could respond, Santiago rose, an odd smile playing on his lips. "A generous proposal, truly," he said smoothly. "But as heirs to Zaria's original dynasty, House Dez Sliez will accept no less than three seats on this council. After all, it is our ancestral birthright."

 

Jade's breath caught at the audacious power grab veiled as reasonable diplomacy. Ardex's face flushed with anger, but Alessandro raised a hand before he could retort.

 

"Perhaps a brief recess to consider these proposals," Alessandro suggested judiciously. With reluctant nods, the delegates shuffled out, tensions palpable.

 

Jade eyed Santiago warily as he passed by.

The delegates had just reassembled when an ear-splitting screech shattered the uneasy quiet. Jade leaped to his feet as a shadowy form burst through the window, scattering razor-sharp glass.

 

A hulking hollow crouched on the conference table, black smoke oozing from its amorphous body. Its red eyes focused on Princess Maria as it inhaled with a horrible rasping sound.

 

Before Jade could react, Consul Glacies thrust out his hand, ice crystals materializing instantly in the air. With a flick of his wrist, he sent the shards flying at the hollow, impaling it from all sides.

 

The creature let out an unearthly wail as the icy spikes pierced its dark form. Glacies strode forward calmly, ice spreading to engulf the hollow until only its face was visible, contorted in pain and rage.

 

Glacies sealed the frozen hollow in a dense block of ice with a contemptuous wave of his hand. The conference room was utterly silent except for the ice creaking.

 

Glacies turned to the stunned delegates as if daring them to react. "My apologies for the interruption," he said crisply. "It seems hollow activity is increasing faster than anticipated. We will need to accelerate our preparations."

 

Maria had gone pale but quickly steadied herself. "Indeed, Consul," she replied. "But perhaps such matters are best discussed in a more secure location."

 

There were murmurs of agreement as the shaken delegates filed out, giving the frozen hollow a wide berth. Santiago lingered, eyeing the imprisoned creature thoughtfully before his sister called him on.

 

Jade realized his mouth was agape and closed it quickly. Glacies' display of power was both impressive and concerning. It seems they had not yet seen the full extent of the general's abilities.

 

"Come, you two," Glacies said, glancing back at Jade and Silver. "We have much planning ahead."

 

They followed the general out. Jade met Silver's eyes, sensing his own disquiet reflected there.


Jade watched with fascination as Bianca carefully fitted the shimmering soul crystal into her building device. Her dexterous hands moved confidently, connecting wires and tuning dials until the crystal began pulsating with a soft inner light.

 

"There, that should do it," Bianca said, sitting back to admire her handiwork. "This soul tracker will let us detect hollows from a distance by picking up their aura signatures."

 

She handed the device to Jade. It was simple - just the crystal mounted in a metal box with an antenna - but Jade could feel the thrum of power within it.

 

"Incredible," he said. "Soul tech always seemed so esoteric, but you make it feel accessible. How did you learn to work with it?"

 

Bianca smiled, brushing back a stray hair. "My parents were tinkerers in Andala before a Hollow attack destroyed the city. I guess I inherited their attraction for the craft."

 

Her expression turned somber. "When the hollows came, my family dedicated themselves to developing weapons against them. My mother's last gift to me before...was this."

 

She held up a necklace with a tiny silver tinkerer hammer. "Now, I carry on their work any way I can. We'll avenge them, all of them, together."

 

Jade felt a surge of kinship with this determined girl who transformed sorrow into service for the greater good.

 

"The soul tracker will undoubtedly help keep people safe," Jade said encouragingly. "You have a real gift, Bianca. Once Zaria is established, you could teach others to build devices like this."

 

Bianca's eyes lit up at the idea. "A soul tech workshop – I'd love that! Passing on knowledge helps it live on."

 

She took back the tracker, running a loving hand over the crystal. "My hope is that someday, soul energy can be used to heal and connect people, not just fight monsters. That's the Zaria I dream of building."

 

Jade nodded firmly. "I share that dream. I believe Zaria can become that place with people like you helping guide its progress."

 

Bianca grinned, adjusting the tinkerer hammer at her throat. "Then let's get out there and build it together."

Jade was lost in thought as he walked through the twisting streets of the Zaria settlement, pondering the fragile alliances and simmering tensions between the factions. Rounding a corner, he nearly collided with a slight, dark-haired boy rushing swiftly in the opposite direction.

 

"Oh! Pardon me," the boy exclaimed, steadying himself against the wall. As he looked up, Jade was struck by the fear in the boy's wide eyes. Before he could ask what was wrong, the boy gasped and took off again, glancing nervously behind him as he ran.

 

Jade turned to see what had startled the boy and felt his stomach drop as Prince Santiago strode into view, his piercing gaze locked on the fleeing figure.

 

"You there - did you see where that artifact went?" Santiago called out to Jade.

 

"I believe he went that way," Jade replied evenly, pointing down a side street. Santiago nodded in thanks and continued his pursuit with swift strides.

 

Jade watched the prince disappear, unease swirling within him. The stark terror on that boy's face was chilling. What ugly business was Santiago involved in with artifacts to inspire such dread?

 

The implications turned Jade's stomach. He thought of Silver and his fierce spirit, and could not imagine his proud friend being reduced to such a hollow shell gripped by fear. The notion hardened Jade's resolve - he would not let such cruel subjugation take root in this fledgling kingdom.

Jade straightened as General Glacies entered the command tent, his icy presence immediately dominating the space.

 

"The time has come to take the offensive against the hollow forces massing on our borders," Glacies announced without preamble. "We shall venture forth and strike directly at the source - the dark realm of Mondo de Ombroj itself, birthplace of the Hollow King."

 

Murmurs rippled through the assembled soldiers and artifacts. Jade exchanged an uneasy glance with Silver. Journeying to the very heart of the hollows' cursed kingdom seemed suicidal.

 

Glacies continued, heedless of their concerns. "A small, elite expeditionary force will locate a portal between worlds and infiltrate Mondo de Ombroj to gather intelligence and assess their operations. We will choose only our strongest pairs for this mission."

 

Jade sensed Glacies' piercing gaze settle on him and Silver. The general's will was clear - they were to join this dangerous quest whether they willed it or not. Refusal was not an option.

 

As the rest of the briefing progressed, Jade's thoughts spun wildly. He knew Glacies was ruthlessly pragmatic, willing to sacrifice pawns to achieve final victory. But this went beyond even his usual calculated risks.

 

What did the general truly hope to gain from this mad endeavor? It reeked of desperation, not a sound strategy. But Glacies brooked no dissent, his word as absolute as the ice he commanded.

 

Jade glanced again at Silver, seeing his own worries etched on his partner's face. But they had cast their lot with Glacies, and the die was now cast. Tomorrow, they would march into darkness where no living soul should tread.

Jade anxiously fiddled with his artificer's staff as he awaited Ming's return from the council meeting. Glacies had ordered them to depart at dawn through the newly discovered portal to the land of shadows, Mondo de Ombroj. But many details still remained unclear to Jade.

 

He looked up as Ming entered, her usually cheerful face now drawn and solemn. "Another city has fallen to the Hollow forces," she reported grimly. "Tanjor has sworn fealty to Sliez in exchange for protection."

 

Jade's heart sank at the news. The independent city-states lacked powerful artifacts and artificers to defend them against the hollow onslaught. One by one, they were becoming vassals of the Sliez Empire.

"If only Zaria were further along in establishing our defenses, we could have aided them," Jade said angrily. "How could Glacies and Ardex allow this expedition to Mondo de Ombroj to happen when people need our help now?"

 

"Glacies claims this expedition will show the strength of our unified forces against the hollow threat," Ming continued. "But I suspect he has other motives."

 

She lowered her voice. "Marching into Mondo de Ombroj is insanely risky. Yet when I questioned his plans, Glacies insisted you and Silver must go to set an example."

 

Jade's brow furrowed. "Why does our presence matter so much?"

 

Ming sighed. "By raising your status as the generals' seconds, Glacies uses this as an excuse to force Sliez to send the prince. And thus, Sliez joined us in pressing; the city-states agreed to provide us with Bianca’s upgraded soul tech weapons."

 

Comprehension dawned on Jade. "So, he's using us as leverage to get the other factions to commit forces to his scheme."

 

Ming nodded grimly. "I warned him against indulging his dangerous ambitions. But Glacies is convinced seizing some advantage in Mondo de Ombroj is our only hope of victory."

 

Jade leaned on his staff heavily, feeling the weight of their predicament. Lacking any real authority, how could he protect both Silver and their ideals? Yet even as foreboding gripped him, a small defiant voice whispered in Jade's mind - when they passed through that portal, they beheld the Hollow King's domain with their own eyes, they would finally understand the nature of the evil they fought against.

0