Chapter 10
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10

Santiago drummed his fingers on the windowsill, gazing out over the sprawling Zaria settlement below. This fledgling kingdom represented everything he had worked for - a chance to finally step out of his family's shadow and seize real power.

 

Yet now his ambitions hung on the timid shoulders of Lux, the descendant of Zaria's ancient artifact royalty. Santiago suppressed a scoff. The boy seemed utterly useless without the control collar, barely able to meet Santiago's eyes, let alone serve as a proper co-ruler.

 

But the pact was struck - Santiago would be crowned High King with Lux as a symbolic co-regent to appease the rebels. Lux's bloodline gave Santiago's rule legitimacy, while the boy's malleable nature ensured he would be easily controlled.

 

At least, that was how it was supposed to work. But the more time Santiago spent with Lux, the more his frustrations grew. The artifact simply refused to develop any backbone or assertiveness. It was maddening.

 

"He clings too tightly to his trauma," Santiago muttered to himself. "I offered him freedom, yet he persists in his meekness."

 

Perhaps Silver's insights could prove useful in cracking through Lux's timid shell. Santiago sensed the bold young artifact disapproved of their partnership - an irony, as Silver's defiance was precisely the fire Lux so sorely lacked.

 

With some coaxing, Silver had opened up on Lux's hidden character. Santiago was prepared to reward the boy for his cooperation once he secured the throne. A loyal supporter among the artifact population could prove valuable.

 

For now, Santiago channeled his energies into maintaining the facade of humility and spiritual growth. Outwardly, he spoke of unity, harmony, and embracing the light. But inside, ambition continued simmering.

 

The crown was finally within his grasp. Santiago would not let it slip away due to Lux's weakness. One way or another, he would forge the boy into a proper co-regent and cement his place as High King.

 

His entire life had been built toward this destiny. Santiago would let nothing and no one stand in his way now - not even his timorous bond partner. Their pairing was merely a political necessity, after all.

 

Soon, the Jzeda delegation would formally nominate Santiago as High King. Once his rule was secured, then the real work would begin. Santiago allowed himself a thin smile at the thought.

 

Santiago paused outside the door to Lux's chamber, smoothing his features into a kindly mask. Since Silver's insights, he had redoubled his efforts to seem open and patient with the fragile artifact.

 

Lux sat hunched on his cot, looking up warily as Santiago entered. "How are you faring today?" Santiago asked gently. "I thought we could take a walk and talk."

 

Lux nodded mutely and rose to follow Santiago out. They strolled in silence through the sunlit streets for a time before Santiago carefully broached a question that had been occupying his thoughts.

 

"Forgive my prying, but I realize I know little of your life before...before we met," Santiago said, treading delicately around the trauma of Lux's enslavement. "If you feel comfortable, I would be honored if you told me about your early years."

 

Lux looked startled but nodded hesitantly. "I was born in the Far Reaches, in the village of Luxaria. It was just me, my mother, and my aunts. We were happy..." His voice grew wistful before trailing off.

 

Santiago maintained an encouraging expression, though internally, he chafed at the slow pace. "Go on," he urged gently.

 

"The village elders taught me our family's history - that the Caliburs were once great kings of the artifacts," Lux continued softly. "But those days were long past. My family wished only to live in peace."

 

His expression darkened. "Then the war came. The invaders showed no mercy, even for a child. I watched my home burn before being taken away."

 

Lux lowered his head, trembling slightly at the memories. Santiago considered his next words carefully. "You suffered greatly, but never forget you are Calibur blood. There is strength in you; I know it. Together, we will reclaim your family's legacy."

 

Lux simply nodded, unconvinced. But Santiago sensed a faint spark deep within the boy - a flicker of life that wanted to believe those words.

 

Yes, Silver was right about hidden depths in Lux. Santiago just needed to uncover that long-buried steel slowly. Their goals aligned, after all - restoring respect and stature to the Caliburs.

 


Santiago kept his expression neutral as his sister Maria confronted him, ice-blue eyes blazing with fury.

 

"How dare you make deals and pacts without my input!" she seethed. "You overstep your station, brother. Do not forget your place."

 

Santiago held back an angry retort. As the eldest sibling, Maria was accustomed to giving orders and not having her authority challenged.

 

"Sister, securing influence in Zaria is a victory for our family and the empire," Santiago said diplomatically. "When I am crowned High King, you shall reap the rewards."

 

Maria's glare only sharpened. "Spare me your platitudes. This is about your lust for a throne, nothing more."

 

She stepped closer, jabbing her finger at his chest. "Every day, more of our nobles free their artifacts and prattle about this Himar nonsense, swayed by your empty pledges of 'unity.' Soon, we will have an outright rebellion on our hands."

 

Though inwardly, Santiago maintained an impassive facade; he seethed at Maria's gall. How quickly she turned on her own blood when she felt threatened.

 

"The people wish for change, as do I," Santiago replied calmly. "Together, we can create a new Sliez aligned with Zaria's vision. You must trust me, sister."

 

"Trust you?" Maria scoffed. "You care nothing for our people's welfare, only your precious crown." Her eyes narrowed to icy daggers. "Mark me, brother. I will not stand idle while you bring our empire crumbling down."

 

With that, she swept from the room, back rigid with contempt. Santiago's carefully cultivated patience finally shattered. He swept aside a pile of scrolls in a clatter.

 

So, Maria thought she could intimidate him with veiled threats? Santiago almost laughed at the notion. She had no concept of the work he had undertaken, the sacrifices made, to arrive at the cusp of his ambitions.

 

Let the old guard grumble. Santiago would drag his backward empire into the new age, whether they willed it or not. Zaria offered a vision of the future and intended for Sliez to be at the vanguard of that change.

 

Maria could not see it now, blinded by her outdated notions of power and nobility. But Santiago vowed he would make her understand in time. They shared the same royal blood, after all.

When Santiago finally ascended to the ancient Zarian throne, she would appreciate the glory he brought to their family name. And with Lux at his side as proof of his enlightened rule, no one would stand in his way again.

With Lux under his guidance, their unified rule would herald Zaria's golden age. Then Maria and all the rest who ever disparaged Santiago would finally comprehend his greatness. Their names would echo together in legend - High King Santiago and Sovereign Lux, restorers of the ancient bloodline.


Santiago took a deep breath as he approached Lux's chambers, preparing himself for another bonding session. Though initially skeptical, he had come to appreciate these times together. Bit by bit, the timid artifact was starting to open up, revealing glimmers of intellect and even humor when coaxed.

 

Santiago knocked on the heavy oak door, which creaked open slowly. Lux peered out cautiously before his expression softened into a shy smile.

 

"Hello, Your Highness," the boy said softly, averting his eyes respectfully. Santiago gently tilted Lux's chin up.

 

"I've told you, none of that 'highness' business when we are together as partners. Please, call me Santiago."

 

Lux flushed. "O-of course...Santiago." The informality still seemed to fluster him.

 

Santiago stepped inside. "I thought we could try meditating together today. Focusing our energies in alignment can strengthen resonance."

 

Lux looked nervous but nodded. They sat facing each other on embroidered cushions as Santiago walked him through the meditation techniques Glacies had taught him.

 

At first, Lux fidgeted, clearly unaccustomed to quieting his mind. But as Santiago gently guided him to breathe deeply and release distracting thoughts, the boy gradually relaxed. A serene aura seemed to envelop his delicate features.

 

Santiago allowed his own racing thoughts to settle, sensing Lux's tranquil energy. Surprisingly, the exercise was soothing, a respite from his usual restless ambitions.

 

When they finished, Santiago opened his eyes to see Lux thoughtfully. "That was...nice," Lux admitted. "Thank you for showing me."

 

"Of course. I enjoy exploring new things together."

 

Lux ducked his head shyly. "As do I. Each day here, my spirit feels a little lighter." He peeked up at Santiago. "I'm glad fate saw fit to make us partners."

 

Warmth flickered unexpectedly in Santiago's chest at the genuine words. To his own astonishment, he found that he meant it when he replied, "As am I."

 

The fragile seed of trust growing between them felt strangely precious. Santiago was content to let it blossom naturally for once rather than attempting to force results. Patience was its own reward.

 

They passed the rest of the sunny afternoon, continuing their conversation. Lux spoke animatedly of books he had read on astrology and art, glancing at Santiago eagerly for his thoughts.

 

The prince found the artifact's quiet passion for knowledge uplifting. He even shared some of his own secret boyhood interests in theatre and poetry. It felt freeing to confess such frivolous pursuits he'd always felt compelled to hide.

 

As the day drew to a close, an unfamiliar lightness lifted Santiago's steps. Ming had been right about the deep wisdom uncovered through true bonding. Santiago realized then that he genuinely enjoyed Lux's company - clever mind, slight whining and all.

 

For once, the pressing burden of his ambitions seemed to recede. Santiago had found something rarer than power - a kindred spirit who saw him as he was. Perhaps that alone was worth more than the highest crown.

0