Chapter 17
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17

 

Lux stood beside Santiago, Shi, Camila, and Stella as they saw Princess Maria off, bidding the stern noblewoman safe travels back to the Sliez Empire. Though Maria had proven a contentious force in Zaria, Lux hoped her father's summons meant a reduction in tensions between their peoples.

 

He noticed Santiago appeared in an uncharacteristically cheerful mood watching his sister's ship depart, though the prince patted Lux's head in a way that was starting to feel patronizing.

 

"She'll be alright, Santiago," Camila assured him. "The emperor is merely concerned with matters back home." Santiago nodded, giving Lux another firm pat on the head that mussed his braid.

 

"Apologies, dear one," Santiago said when he noticed Lux's frown. "I'm just relieved relations here will be smoother with Maria gone." He gave Lux's shoulder a conciliatory squeeze instead.

 

"Her presence will be missed, but Zaria's future now rests solely with you," Shi observed sagely. Stella nodded her agreement, smiling up at Lux.

 

Santiago grinned. "Indeed! Maria's absence comes at an opportune time. The final unity treaty was just signed yesterday by all factions." His eyes shone with anticipation.

 

"Which means..." Camila prompted with an encouraging smile.

 

"By year's end, Lux and I shall be coronated as High King and Sovereign of the Imperial Zaria Federation!" Santiago proclaimed proudly.

 

Lux flushed as the others cheered and congratulated them. The notion of ruling still frightened him, but with his found family beside him, perhaps he could finally live up to his storied lineage.

 

Santiago's arm circled his shoulders reassuringly. "The elections come first, but the crown awaits us, dear Lux. Neither of us shall stand alone when destiny calls."

 

Lux smiled up at his partner, taking comfort in Santiago's confidence. Together, they would walk the path ahead, writing Zaria's next chapter side by side.

Santiago struggled to maintain a neutral expression as waves of anxiety rolled off of Lux, bombarding their bond. The election season had left the sensitive artifact in a state of near-constant nervousness that grated on Santiago's mind.

 

He watched Lux fidgeting out of the corner of his eye, the boy's delicate features pinched with worry. How he lives in such a fretful state confounds me, Santiago thought irritably, resisting the urge to grab Lux by the shoulders and shake some confidence into him.

 

Instead, he settled for giving Lux a few firm pats on the back, as much to soothe his own frazzled nerves. But the contact seemed to provide Lux little comfort, his wide blue eyes still awash with uncertainty.

 

When Santiago had a private moment with Jade, he asked the young artificer if it was normal to only sense Lux's emotions through their bond. Jade's brow furrowed in concern as he informed Santiago that resonance links flowed both ways in fully realized pairs.

 

Santiago kept his voice carefully measured, but alarm flickered through him. Had he truly forged so one-sided a connection with Lux? The notion disturbed him deeply.

 

As the election fervor increased, Lux's anxiety spiked further, leaving Santiago awash in echoes of dread and self-doubt. The prince nearly reached a breaking point.

 

Finally, Santiago pulled Lux aside, placing both hands on the boy's shoulders. "Calm yourself, dear one," Santiago implored, willing his own mind to settle. "All will be well, no matter what comes. Just try to be present in this moment with me."

 

Whether due to Santiago's request or his touch, Lux's eyes slowly lost their panicked haze as his rapid breathing steadied. Santiago felt his own pounding heart gradually still in response.

 

Maintaining that grounding contact, Santiago guided Lux through meditation techniques Shi had taught them, their energies realigning. Their shared unease had shifted into tranquil synchronicity by the session's end.

 

Santiago cupped Lux's cheek fondly. Perhaps words need not always pass between them - simple presence and trust could be language enough. If Santiago could strengthen that, their true bond lay ahead.

Santiago felt a twist of unease as Lux began subtly avoiding him in the days following the election. The boy made excuses to duck out of their shared activities, often lingering near the ever-present Shi or Camila instead.

 

Had Santiago's possessive instincts truly made Lux so skittish? The prince thought he had been keeping those impulses controlled lately for both their sakes. Santiago resolved to give Lux space and pray his partner's standoffishness would pass.

 

In the meantime, the election results provided a distraction from Lux's withdrawal. To Santiago's surprise, the new parliament consisted of only five ministers, due to Zaria's small population. As their kingdom grew, more representatives would be added.

 

Jeu Liu had been voted Minister of Defense, given his storied military career. The stern soldier's presence ensured the army stayed aligned to Santiago's vision. Elder Ironwood unsurprisingly took up the mantle of Minister for Artifact Affairs.

 

More unexpected was the election of Enzo, a wealthy young artificer-tinkerer. Likely the people valued his innovative soul tech contributions. The remaining two ministers came from the merchant class - practical choices to grow their economy.

 

Overall, Santiago was satisfied with the results, though he harbored some wariness about Ironwood and Liu teaming up. He made a mental note to court Enzo as an ally on the council. The ingenious tinkerer would appreciate Santiago's progressive pro-tech policies.

 

The prince refocused on rehearsals for his and Lux's coronation as High King and Sovereign. The event was rapidly approaching, so Santiago buried his concerns about Lux's emotional distance. Very soon, all their preparation would culminate in fulfilling their destiny together.


Lux paced his chambers restlessly, his heart troubled. Lately, he had become increasingly aware of Santiago's presence through their bond, even from a distance. The connection was growing stronger every day.

 

While part of Lux thrilled at this deepening affinity, the intensity of Santiago's emotions pouring through gave him pause. Though the prince presented a composed, gracious facade to the public, the passions roiling within him ran deep and turbulent.

 

Lux sensed Santiago's soaring ambitions, his moments of self-doubt and fury when thwarted. There were eddies of genuine affection for those loyal to him, but these could turn chillingly cold if trust were broken. Love and hatred burned fiery and absolute in the prince's soul.

 

Even Santiago's fondness for Lux felt possessive at times, accompanied by flickers of resentment when the sensitive artifact withdrew from their link. Santiago's spirit was of extremes - light and shadow in volatile balance.

 

Feeling the force of that tumultuous inner world made Lux shrink into himself. He was not ready for such complete exposure, nor the expectation he would complement Santiago's intensity in equal measure.

 

Their pairing had happened so fast, bound by circumstances. Were they truly compatible, or were they just playing at an intimacy that was neither fully understood? The doubts plagued Lux, even as his heart yearned to embrace their connection without reservation.

Lux sighed, gazing down into his steaming teacup as Stella and Camila voiced their concerns over his growing distance from Santiago. Beside them, Shi listened thoughtfully, keeping his own counsel for now.

 

"I know you are wary, dear brother, but completely avoiding the prince seems unwise," Stella said gently. "You two must come to some understanding."

 

Camila nodded, her expression uncharacteristically grave. "Santiago has been patient so far, but it is his nature to pursue his desires fiercely. If you keep retreating without explanation, his temper may ignite."

 

Lux bit his lip. "You believe he will lose patience with me eventually?"

 

"Almost certainly," Camila confirmed. "I have known Santiago for years. He does not readily accept denial or restraint in matters of the heart. If you refuse it much longer, the prince will try to regain your attention."

 

Shi steepled his fingers contemplatively. "Their bond is still fresh and untested. Such intense connections either tear partners apart or forge them anew - if given time and care to transform."

 

He looked to Lux gently. "You are wise to move slowly, to understand your feelings before proceeding. Not all pairs can withstand such blistering affinity. Calm observation may prevent calamity."

 

Lux furrowed his brow, conflicted by their contrasting advice. He disliked worrying Santiago, yet the thought of confronting the prince's wounded pride made Lux's stomach churn. For now, avoidance seemed safer, whatever the long-term consequences.

 

Seeing Lux's indecision, Stella squeezed his hand supportively. "Trust your instincts, Brother. We shall support whatever choice settles best on your spirit."

 

Lux managed a shaky smile, comforted by her faith in him. Yet apprehension still gnawed within. Santiago's intensity seemed as inevitable as the tide; Lux could not avoid it forever.


Lux froze as Santiago approached him, schooling his features into an impassive mask. Though outwardly calm, the prince's ice-blue eyes were intent, betraying his simmering emotions.

 

"Lux, we should speak on the matter of your avoiding me lately," Santiago began, voice carefully controlled. "Have I caused this estrangement between us?"

 

Despite the polite delivery, Lux sensed Santiago's truce fraying as passions churned beneath the surface. He averted his eyes, murmuring vague excuses, but Santiago grasped his shoulder firmly.

 

"Please, dear one, speak truly," the prince implored, a hint of that long-ago earnestness creeping into his tone. "I only wish to understand why you retreat and resolve this distance growing between us."

 

Feeling those intense eyes upon him, the clamor of Santiago's unfiltered feelings battered Lux's senses. Panic welled up, urging him to flee this overpowering presence.

 

As Lux wrenched away, Santiago's hand tightened, forbidding escape. Then his expression shifted, gaze boring into Lux intensely. The prince seemed to perceive Lux's empathic recoil from the onslaught of his psyche. Santiago inhaled slowly, then exhaled, consciously dampening his raging emotions.

 

In their wake came a startling sensation - pure happiness and relief flooding through their link from Santiago's side, untainted by bitterness or jealousy. The sudden torrent overwhelmed Lux's defenses utterly. His vision went white, and he collapsed into Santiago's arms.

 

Lux floated back to awareness, cradled against Santiago's chest, the prince murmuring worried apologies and stroking his hair. As their eyes met, Lux sensed only selfless joy and affection in the gaze that looked upon him.

 

"Forgive me, dear one. My spirit was too unsettled before," Santiago whispered. "I will learn to still the storms for your sake."

 

And gazing up at his partner's face, softened by care, Lux knew Santiago spoke truthfully. Lux would gladly meet him halfway for this soul-unfathomable passion.

 

0